What if CoP was 'moved' to Main Street?

Princess Kitty

With all of the talk about what's next after FLE and the possible renovation of Tomorrowland I was wondering how feasible 'moving' the Carousel of Progress to Main Street would be? I'm not talking actually moving the building itself, but rather something like extending Center Street or having some sort of themed accessway there where the access feels more connected to Main Street than Tomorrowland. The attraction itself just seems suited more to Main Street and could be restored more to its historical roots than trying to keep up and be out of date in 5 years again.

I'm probably answering my own question here, but its probably too far of a walk or stretch without more development in between and relocation of back of house items, but it might be possible.

I do like this idea! I don't think the Carousel "fits" in Tomorrowland, but then not much "fits" in Tomorrowland (Speedway?). In a way, Carousel does kind of transition between Main Street and Tomorrowland. And a second pathway to Tomorrowland would make things less crowded. But you're right, the distance alone doesn't make the idea feasible. It's about as long of a stretch as walking down Main Street.

So, how about ideas for a retheme? Doctor Who could be the host to this time-travel show and, if we had a park hopper ticket, we could all go into the Tardis and end up in the United Kingdom in Epcot. Oops... wait, I'm getting this mixed up with a certain Mr. Potter over at Universal.

Captain Chaos

This is a pretty good idea, actually. I would love to see it permanently housed at Epcot, except people would complain that it's yet another "boring" Epcot attraction. (How anyone can find SpaceShip Earth boring is beyond me).

With that in consideration, I think I like it where it is. Call me strange, but I watch that show at least three times each time I visit WDW.

Spaceship Earth boring? No... Dumbed down from its former glory?? YES... The script, the descent, dumbed down from the previous version...

As for CoP, since it is about innovention, how about putting it in Innoventions??? It would get the same foot traffic that it gets now.. Then it frees up prime real estate in Tomorrowland for more manager parking, I mean a new attraction... And it also leaves Epcot with open real estate to bring up a replacement for WoL (which I know is a long shot to happen)...

J03Y

The Carousel of Progress looks more at the human race, past and future and technology. its theme doesn't really fit with Main Street.

i can see your reasoning, but it really isn't necessary to move it.

J03Y

So, how about ideas for a retheme? Doctor Who could be the host to this time-travel show and, if we had a park hopper ticket, we could all go into the Tardis and end up in the United Kingdom in Epcot. Oops... wait, I'm getting this mixed up with a certain Mr. Potter over at Universal.

now this isn't a bad idea!

sort of like a "Tiki Room Under New Management" thing, it'd be interesting and it would most likely bring in a new crowd. the only real problem with this is that Disney would need to get the rights for Doctor Who to even consider it.

J03Y

Posted this in another thread. Why not just move CoP to Future World? Both Epcot and the attraction celebrate innovation. Epcot has been called a permanent World's Fair. CoP started at the '64 NY World's Fair. Seems like a good fit to me.

Use the existing location in TL for a new attraction.

this is a pretty good idea, space would be an issue, but it would actually work very well. also, updating would definitely have to be in order. someone else mentioned in this thread, and i agree completely, it's very outdated. moving the beginning up a few decades and the ending up drastically, then more people would feel related to it.

if they can update the Hall of Presidents every nearly 8 years (and i understand that in that instance, it's necessary. but CoP is about time and progress, which changes with every year we enter), then they can most certainly update CoP yearly.

DougK

Thanks spelling and grammar cop

I want to know have you actually been on "Spaceship Earth" in the last what 2 or 3 years? Would you feel better if I called in a "Touch Screen".

Everybody has their own opinion if you are entertained by cheap cartoons that are generated on a touch screen or is it touchscreen it front of you that is your business. My opinion is it is stupid.

Sit at home with a laptop, visual C++ and you can recreate this experience without going to Epcot.

They what to do something intelligent how about more scenes? or maybe they can teach us spelling?

The list of attractions Disney built and let rot is a large one..... but I will not bore you with my spelling errors.

You know I care less or is it careless if you are offended buy or is it by my spelling and grammar.

Your spelling errors did not offend me. I am defending Spaceship Earth because you called it "stupid". I have read many of your posts and you seem to dislike a lot of Disney things, and that is your right. But I love Spaceship Earth so I wanted to point out the other side.

jasonfresta

...if you are entertained by cheap cartoons that are generated on a touch screen or is it touchscreen it front of you that is your business. My opinion is it is stupid.

Sit at home with a laptop, visual C++ and you can recreate this experience without going to Epcot.

uhh... you went left. didn't you.

Walt Disney1955

I think its fine where it is. It is kind of tucked away in there though. However that's the point of guide maps. I love the attraction and always defend it when I get the chance. I think they do the best they can with updating it. And the jump from the 1940s to today? Well what do you expect? It was 1964.

There is a sense of nostalgia because it came directly right out of the mind of Walt and we still have it in front of our eyes.

Lord Pheonix

hmm. i kinda like the future cul-de-sac thing, would be a neat walk-through.

moved again? when was it moved before??

it DEFINATLY fits in tomorrowland, but if it had to be moved somewhere for a new ride, why not by the entrance to tomorrowland from main street. i think it would look good over by the water, as long as the peoplemover stays.

MansionGoer13z

Most likely, (though alot of others and including myself,) see CoP being completely wiped from the face of the earth, because its not an "IN" thing anymore with park goers and I betcha' TDO as well. I think it would fit great in EPCOT like an extra attraction in Innoventions.

HM Spectre

And the jump from the 1940s to today? Well what do you expect? It was 1964.

Exactly, it made perfect sense at the time. Why didn't Walt go back and look at life during revolutionary times? During Civil War times? He chose the 20 year increments starting in 1900 for a reason. Maybe it's because it was his life experience, but it gave a timeframe where one could actually see the progress happening and have nostalgia for those having lived through it. If they gave the ride an update to the last scene only again like they keep doing, it would go from barely working black and white TVs to the internet and touchscreen smartphones. That's skipping over way too much. How good would Snow White be if they went from her staying with the dwarves straight to the happily ever after? That's poor storytelling and not what Walt would want.

I really do appreciate the carousel but I hate that it's stuck in a middling state. It's not accomplishing what it originally intended anymore because of the growing gap between the 3rd scene and the final one. Either update it to make it a more gradual progression the way that Walt intended or put it back to its original state and let people appreciate it for what it was. The state of it right now just seems like a half hearted effort.

DawnCt

Space Ship Earth is not boring it is just stupid. Half the attraction playing with a stupid terminal.

There was actually the squeal to Carousel of Progress at Epcot .... Horizons.

It is the Disney way to abandon buildings or ignore them, second floor Imagination, Wonders of life are two examples.

If Disney every decided not to run Carousel of Progress my bet is they just put a few potted plants in front and let it rot.

I am afraid you are right. I think one of the biggest travesties is the abandonment of River Country. I loved River Country. google River Country abandoned. Its enough to make you cry.

BK31

Original Poster
Right but you can't just take the last scene out of the equation. CoP wasn't supposed to be just some big retrospective, it was supposed to marvel at progress and look towards the future.

The problem is the fact that it's outdated again (without a real update in almost two decades) and that the time scale is all screwed up. Going from the 1900's to the 1920's to the 1940's to the present/future made sense in 1964 with 20 year increments but today, the final scene is a 50 year leap (and 70 years to the present) that is just way too far into the future to make sense for either a historical piece or a paced look at evolving technology.

To me, they need to do one of two things: bring the front end closer to modern times so that it scales more gently and is actually relevant and nostalgic to today's guests (something like 60's, 80's, 00's, present/future) or set the final scene back to its original state and move it out of Tomorrowland into somewhere where it can be appreciated as a piece of history.

As is, it's just out of place no matter what you try to do with it and it's a damn shame to see one of the few WDW attractions Walt had a direct hand in creating in such a state.

I understand completely the original goals of the pavilion at the Worlds Fair and looking to the future. The problem to me about bringing the front end closer to modern times to close the gap at the end of the current show is that they'll have a new gap to contend with in the future as that one ages. It'll always need updates, that's just the nature of CoP and Tomorrowland as a whole really.

If the last scene was brought back closer to it original state AND you exited into Tomorrowland from CoP using the ride itself as a transition it might be a bit less out of place. I can just imagine being a little guy going into CoP from Main Street, watching the show and then 'magically' being in Tomorrowland when you exit. Almost as if a natural progression of the attraction itself. This day in age though the kiddos may not be as awestruck as I might've been back in the 80's.

As much as I know it'll probably never happen, I'd love to see Tomorrowland shift back to a look closer to what it had when it opened, or more of an idealized 60's version of the future which would make the transition of the restored CoP fit even better. That could reduce the need for a new scene at the end every decade or so.

BK31

Original Poster
Also there's one other problem if it was moved...The TTA..If that was shut down and closed for good I would not be happy.

I'm not actually talking about moving the building itself, just accessing the entrance to CoP from Main Street / Center street somehow. I too love the TTA and it's my little guy's favorite ride.

BK31

Original Poster
I do like this idea! I don't think the Carousel "fits" in Tomorrowland, but then not much "fits" in Tomorrowland (Speedway?). In a way, Carousel does kind of transition between Main Street and Tomorrowland. And a second pathway to Tomorrowland would make things less crowded. But you're right, the distance alone doesn't make the idea feasible. It's about as long of a stretch as walking down Main Street.

Ha DW! Maybe the weeping angel statues in Italy would have to be incorporated too! Maybe its more of a replacement for the MILF, almost an updated Timekeeper...:animwink:

draybook

Space Ship Earth is not boring it is just stupid. Half the attraction playing with a stupid terminal.

There was actually the squeal to Carousel of Progress at Epcot .... Horizons.

It is the Disney way to abandon buildings or ignore them, second floor Imagination, Wonders of life are two examples.

If Disney every decided not to run Carousel of Progress my bet is they just put a few potted plants in front and let it rot.

If you think you're using the touch screen for half of the ride, I suggest you buy a watch and time it again.

yensid67

Most likely, (though alot of others and including myself,) see CoP being completely wiped from the face of the earth, because its not an "IN" thing anymore with park goers and I betcha' TDO as well. I think it would fit great in EPCOT like an extra attraction in Innoventions.

OK here is my thoughts...although I agree that it needs updating at the least, moving it or tearing it down is completely OUT OF THE QUESTION!
I think we should DEMAND TDO to keep the attractions that Walt Had his hand in creating before he passed. I know Roy wanted to add 'WALT' to DIsney World, so that we would not forget that WDW was his dream, but what a tribute beyond that would it be to keep the original attractions that Walt developed? I know things need to move forward, but not at the expense of forgetting our past!

jasonfresta

i would be absolutely devastated if they got rid of Carousel of Progress... it's one of my favorite rides ever. the jump in the last two scenes doesn't bother me in the slightest and never has... it's all about where we were and where we're going.. at the rate we ARE going.. you could have a different set for the 80s AND 90s. it doesn't pay off to update it that much. if the last scene looked like the Jetsons it would still make sense. update the game system... the clothing.. the room decor and the gadgets... but don't change it so much that you'd have to renarrate it. leave Jean Shepherd alone!

nobody seems to be bothered by the jump in progress at the beginning of Spaceship Earth... "the next big development wouldn't be made for another 10,000 years." do you need them to fill in the gaps for that one too??

and leave it where it is... it's fine in Tomorrowland.. they have plenty of property left. lol

Brian

I understand completely the original goals of the pavilion at the Worlds Fair and looking to the future. The problem to me about bringing the front end closer to modern times to close the gap at the end of the current show is that they'll have a new gap to contend with in the future as that one ages. It'll always need updates, that's just the nature of CoP and Tomorrowland as a whole really.

If the last scene was brought back closer to it original state AND you exited into Tomorrowland from CoP using the ride itself as a transition it might be a bit less out of place. I can just imagine being a little guy going into CoP from Main Street, watching the show and then 'magically' being in Tomorrowland when you exit. Almost as if a natural progression of the attraction itself. This day in age though the kiddos may not be as awestruck as I might've been back in the 80's.

As much as I know it'll probably never happen, I'd love to see Tomorrowland shift back to a look closer to what it had when it opened, or more of an idealized 60's version of the future which would make the transition of the restored CoP fit even better. That could reduce the need for a new scene at the end every decade or so.
Even if I knew it was happening ahead of time, I would probably be a little awe-stricken.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom