What if CoP was 'moved' to Main Street?

BK31

Original Poster
With all of the talk about what's next after FLE and the possible renovation of Tomorrowland I was wondering how feasible 'moving' the Carousel of Progress to Main Street would be? I'm not talking actually moving the building itself, but rather something like extending Center Street or having some sort of themed accessway there where the access feels more connected to Main Street than Tomorrowland. The attraction itself just seems suited more to Main Street and could be restored more to its historical roots than trying to keep up and be out of date in 5 years again.

I'm probably answering my own question here, but its probably too far of a walk or stretch without more development in between and relocation of back of house items, but it might be possible.

pumpkin7

the whole point of CoP being where it is that you can see the outer walls. why would they stick it behind main street and hide it all? plus it's a look at technology and how the human race has advanced since the turn of the century. it's about yesterday and tomorrow. although 'tomorrow' needs a bit of an overhall. granny must be playing on some sega system or something. the family needs to spend some dollars on a new game system!
nah it's happy where it is. just needs a bit of love in the animatronic department.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I'm pretty sure if they simply touched one "prop" on the stage.. the whole place would collapse.

Jk. Main Street? Moving it there would be like moving it to Liberty Square. I wouldn't mind moving it to EPCOT? Possibly to be located in the middle of the WoL pavilion with interactive attractions around it?

-WondersOfLife

The last original pavilion. :king:

devoy1701

Fine with me. I'm not looking at a map or anything but I see no reason why they couldn't make an entrance for it off Center Street so it ends up behind Uptown Jewelers.

El Grupo

Posted this in another thread. Why not just move CoP to Future World? Both Epcot and the attraction celebrate innovation. Epcot has been called a permanent World's Fair. CoP started at the '64 NY World's Fair. Seems like a good fit to me.

Use the existing location in TL for a new attraction.

rodserling27

Posted this in another thread. Why not just move CoP to Future World? Both Epcot and the attraction celebrate innovation. Epcot has been called a permanent World's Fair. CoP started at the '64 NY World's Fair. Seems like a good fit to me.

This is a pretty good idea, actually. I would love to see it permanently housed at Epcot, except people would complain that it's yet another "boring" Epcot attraction. (How anyone can find SpaceShip Earth boring is beyond me).

With that in consideration, I think I like it where it is. Call me strange, but I watch that show at least three times each time I visit WDW.

pmaljr

I would be ok with that as well, as well as updating the last scene every other year. I think that would be a great use of Future World's unused space.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
While FW would be a good location, I don't think a physical move is at all feasible -- you never know, but I doubt it.

As for the virtual move that leaves CoP where it is but makes the entrance from Main Street...maybe, but it'd take a lot of work. There's a long way from Main Street to Tomorrowland. If you extend center street with more shops and restarants, you could then, perhaps, fashioning CoP as the transition from Main Street to Tomrrowland, by entering from a storefront on or at the end of extended center street and exiting in Tomorrowland. Meet the World is Tokyo was sort of like this when it existed. Center street in Tokyo leads to Tomorrowland and Adventureland, and MtW was the first thing you hit on the Tomorrowland side. The storytelling with CoP as the transition would work, with CoP bringing you from the past of Main Street to the future (sort of) of Tomorrowland. Biggest downside is that CoP is realistic, while tomorrowland has really become Sci-Fi Fantasyland. That's really why CoP fit great now, and why a move to FW would be excellent, but probably won't happen.

Seems to me that if there is to be something CoP-ish in FW, it would more likely take the form Ellen's Energy Adventure being converted to tell a similar story to CoP using the travelling theater-car, rather than the rotating theater, as the mechanism for moving through advances in technology.

BK31

Original Poster
As for the virtual move that leaves CoP where it is but makes the entrance from Main Street...maybe, but it'd take a lot of work. There's a long way from Main Street to Tomorrowland. If you extend center street with more shops and restarants, you could then, perhaps, fashioning CoP as the transition from Main Street to Tomrrowland, by entering from a storefront on or at the end of extended center street and exiting in Tomorrowland.

This is exactly along the lines of what I was thinking. Its interesting to hear about MtW. I know so little about Tokyo.

I guess I never thought about using it as a transition, but it would be pretty interesting to enter CoP on Main Street and then exit into Tomorrowland if that's even possible the way the ride is set up. I would think the extension of center street would also need to transition into Tomorrowland somehow outside of the attraction to keep the pedestrian flow since that would be one long dead end walkway. The Peoplemover track being elevated could help act as a transition arch if themed properly on the center street side much like the second floor dining at Columbia Harbour House does from FL to LS. I just figured the expense to move it would be so much why not plan new development around it for the same, if not less money than the move, and gain some more retail and restaurant space. Heck there's probably a little bit of room for a small attraction or two (and maybe a dreaded M&G) to help with foot traffic there, though I don't know what they'd be.

All of this is pretty low on priority compared to where the need for new work is around the rest of the parks, but I thought it was an interesting thought that came to me over lunch today. I'm an intern architect and an armchair planner and would much rather think about theoretical what ifs like this than work on another Big box clothing store...

Florida_is_hot

Space Ship Earth is not boring it is just stupid. Half the attraction playing with a stupid terminal.

There was actually the squeal to Carousel of Progress at Epcot .... Horizons.

It is the Disney way to abandon buildings or ignore them, second floor Imagination, Wonders of life are two examples.

If Disney every decided not to run Carousel of Progress my bet is they just put a few potted plants in front and let it rot.

DougK

The song in Carousel of Progress is, of course, we all know it, sing it with me, "There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow".

Why does that not fit in Tomorrowland?

Let's leave it where it is.

~long live the Spirit~

DougK

Space Ship Earth is not boring it is just stupid. Half the attraction playing with a stupid terminal.

There was actually the squeal to Carousel of Progress at Epcot .... Horizons.

It is the Disney way to abandon buildings or ignore them, second floor Imagination, Wonders of life are two examples.

If Disney every decided not to run Carousel of Progress my bet is they just put a few potted plants in front and let it rot.

Spaceship is one word.

Spaceship Earth is not "stupid".

There is no "terminal" on the ride.

Horizons was never a squeal. Maybe a sequel but not a squeal.

I do not think that the fact that Disney has not re-used all of it's attraction space means this is the "Disney way" or we would have parks full of nothing.

I think "Let It Rot" was the last Rutles album.

~long live the Spirit~

HM Spectre

I'll admit the last scene doesn't but the first two are more of a thematic fit to Main Street than they are to TL.

Right but you can't just take the last scene out of the equation. CoP wasn't supposed to be just some big retrospective, it was supposed to marvel at progress and look towards the future.

The problem is the fact that it's outdated again (without a real update in almost two decades) and that the time scale is all screwed up. Going from the 1900's to the 1920's to the 1940's to the present/future made sense in 1964 with 20 year increments but today, the final scene is a 50 year leap (and 70 years to the present) that is just way too far into the future to make sense for either a historical piece or a paced look at evolving technology.

To me, they need to do one of two things: bring the front end closer to modern times so that it scales more gently and is actually relevant and nostalgic to today's guests (something like 60's, 80's, 00's, present/future) or set the final scene back to its original state and move it out of Tomorrowland into somewhere where it can be appreciated as a piece of history.

As is, it's just out of place no matter what you try to do with it and it's a damn shame to see one of the few WDW attractions Walt had a direct hand in creating in such a state.

Hey, let's not forget the original idea Walt had for an attraction starring Albert Watt, based around electricity. The highlight of his Edison Square expansion of Main Street. It evolved into the carousel. I've always wished they would expand that backstage area between Main Street and Tomorrowland into a nice cul-de-sac. Even drew up some plans for the idea. Moving CoP would be wonderful, and its my favorite ride in the park.

Florida_is_hot

Spaceship is one word.

Spaceship Earth is not "stupid".

There is no "terminal" on the ride.

Horizons was never a squeal. Maybe a sequel but not a squeal.

I do not think that the fact that Disney has not re-used all of it's attraction space means this is the "Disney way" or we would have parks full of nothing.

I think "Let It Rot" was the last Rutles album.

~long live the Spirit~

Thanks spelling and grammar cop

I want to know have you actually been on "Spaceship Earth" in the last what 2 or 3 years? Would you feel better if I called in a "Touch Screen".

Everybody has their own opinion if you are entertained by cheap cartoons that are generated on a touch screen or is it touchscreen it front of you that is your business. My opinion is it is stupid.

Sit at home with a laptop, visual C++ and you can recreate this experience without going to Epcot.

They what to do something intelligent how about more scenes? or maybe they can teach us spelling?

The list of attractions Disney built and let rot is a large one..... but I will not bore you with my spelling errors.

You know I care less or is it careless if you are offended buy or is it by my spelling and grammar.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom