What, if anything, would you do about this?

Hello, I am seeking advice on a recent mishap I had with Disney. I have a reservation for 3 adults at AOA from Jan 18th - 22nd with the DDP. It is a cast member reservation with the holiday discount. When we made the reservation months ago, we were told we needed to make a deposit equalling one night's stay and the remaining balance would be due at check in. This is how I have done it the past several times. A few weeks ago I logged into MDE and noticed that there was an alert next to my AOA reservation saying a payment for the entire remaining balance was due on December 18th, but it was already December 23rd. Not having heard anything of this payment, I called Disney to find out what was up. The cast member I spoke to said that my balance was due at check in and that was that.

A few days later, I called Disney back to add Disney's Magical Express flight info to the reservation and the cast member told me that before she could add flight information, a payment for the full remaining balance was required. Very confused, I explained that I called a few days earlier to inquire about the possibility of a payment and I was assured (as I was when I made the reservation) that our balance was due at check in. This CM transferred me to her higher up to said that unfortunately, we were given out of date information and a full payment would be required or else our entire reservation would be cancelled. Very upset, I explained that had we known the payment was due we could have made it work but as we just found out making a $900+ payment without expecting it or planning for it would be very difficult. I also asked what would have happened had I not called because I was not sent an email or anything about the payment, I just noticed a small notification on the desktop version (not seen at all on the app) of MDE. They said that our reservation most likely would have just been cancelled.

Very upset, I contacted the other members of my travel party and neither one was prepared to make the payment that day. Because we had already purchased flights, cancelling was not an option. I wound up laying out for the entire trip and my friends will have to pay me back when we get there, but now I am out all of the money until we travel and I am really bothered by this whole thing.

Should I email Disney about this? I know this is a case of CMs not having the same information across the board, but this is a serious inconvenience. Again, had I known, it would not have been an issue as we would have prepared for it.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
When you have a "package" booked which you did because it included dining you have to pay your balance in full 30 days (used to be 45 and recently changed) prior to check in. Only room only reservations (not including any extras like dining etc) they wait until check on to collect the rest.
So the first cast member you spoke to when you booked was wrong to tell you what they did being you had dining included which made it a package not a room only reservation.
It has always been this way so yes i would call to let guest relations know what happened due to the CM misinforming you so it does not happen to others. :)

Upvote 0

GoTheDistance

Original Poster
Yes, that is what was discovered! In the past, cast member reservations, even with DDP, weren't considered "packages" and weren't subject to that rule. Now they are, which is fine, but doesn't change the fact that we were misinformed... twice.

Upvote 0

sxeensweet

Yes, that is what was discovered! In the past, cast member reservations, even with DDP, weren't considered "packages" and weren't subject to that rule. Now they are, which is fine, but doesn't change the fact that we were misinformed... twice.

Yeah so in that case I would definately complain. I wish DVC worked that way to not have to pay the dining plan even until 30 days prior but we have to pay in full when we add it. So I usually just wait until I save up the funds to add the dining plan. You can add it up until 2 days prior.
Maybe in the future don't add dining until close (a few days prior) to the trip so you can in a way do it the old way. Lol :)

Upvote 0

DisneyFans4Life

Yeah...we've always had to have the full balance paid off 30 days prior to check in because we had room and DDP. It stinks that the first CM informed you wrong, but I'd call them back and let them know you're unhappy. Chances are they may do something to make it right and keep you happy. Making a guest unhappy before they even arrive to check-in is never a good thing.

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

I asked my son who is a castmember about this and this is his reply:
As already mentioned, cast member reservations have never been considered packages until recently, so no as one of the members said it has not always been this way. Please check facts before commenting. Unfortunately this is now how it is done and you were misinformed. Please let Disney know this so all cast members can be rebriefed. More than likely there is nothing that will be done for you because this info was posted for castmembers like yourself. You must have missed it as many have.
That's absolutely incorrect. Cast member reservations booked with the dining plan as part of the holiday promotion are absolutely packages and always have been. Cast members usually don't get discounts on the dining plan, so their reservations usually don't come with them and therefore usually aren't packages. When the dining plan is offered as part of the promotion, it's a package.

Upvote 0

sxeensweet

That's absolutely incorrect. Cast member reservations booked with the dining plan as part of the holiday promotion are absolutely packages and always have been. Cast members usually don't get discounts on the dining plan, so their reservations usually don't come with them and therefore usually aren't packages. When the dining plan is offered as part of the promotion, it's a package.

Thank you I thought I had that part at least right at first. Lol I was wrong about the paying deadline in the past but not the package part. It's still considered a package but they used to not have to pay the balance it until check in but now they do. :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom