What happens if my son turns 3 at Disney?

kimberlymautz

Hi Everyone!

I'm planning our trip for next fall and I'm trying to decide between September 18-27 or October 2-11th.

It's obviously not a huge difference, but my son's birthday is October 4th so I thought being in Disney for his 3rd birthday would be so much fun!

But what would I do park, restaurants, and resort wise? I know before 3 years old he's free for all of them, but what about after his birthday? We usually end up with the dining plan (because my daughter loves the character meals) and I don't know how to figure it out. I was thinking September to avoid the confusion all together, but I'd really love to be there for his actual birthday.

Janir

You take him in as free until he turns 3 then the next day you buy park tickets for him to get into the parks. Make sure he gets a I'm celebrating button action going to score some Magic fun!

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
If he's 2 when he arrives [possibly when you book], he's considered a "Guest of Mickey" for the duration of your stay. Plan as though he were 2. Have fun!

So, don't add DDP for him. He can eat off others' plates at buffets or TS for free, if you order a meal for him you'll pay out of pocket. Put a "3rd Birthday" button on him and he'll get lots of attention and maybe some freebies.

Upvote 0

Minthorne

He will be conscripted in service singing at It's a Small World. ;)

The rule is that your age is determined on check in day. If he is still 2 that day he is free the whole trip.

It is fun to see the 9 yo on check in day turn 10 yo a couple days later. Many find the new Disney "adult" at the bar that night with a stiff drink checking their 401k.

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member

The rule is that your age is determined on check in day. If he is still 2 that day he is free the whole trip.

It is fun to see the 9 yo on check in day turn 10 yo a couple days later. Many find the new Disney "adult" at the bar that night with a stiff drink checking their 401k.

Just make sure you don’t do a split stay. Because Disney don’t recognise those, you would pay for him if you changed Resort after he turned three.

Upvote 0

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Just jumping in to confirm (as we've celebrated a couple of Disney-milestone birthdays at WDW): for purposes of room/multi-day tickets/dining during an onsite (non-split) hotel stay, age is determined as of the check-in date.

“Officially unofficially”...you’d be nuts to give this a second thought.

Until Disney charged by the minute and used retinal scans/implants to track you...it’s not worth worrying about.

...so we got till 2025 😉

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

“Officially unofficially”...you’d be nuts to give this a second thought.

Until Disney charged by the minute and used retinal scans/implants to track you...it’s not worth worrying about.

...so we got till 2025 😉

Sorry, I think my post sounded like I was jumping in to get confirmation -- I meant to add my own confirmation of the prior answers, based on our past experinces. :)

Upvote 0

kimberlymautz

Original Poster

Hahaha. It actually works out perfectly because my son will be turning 3 on October 4, 2020 and my daughter will be turning 10 May 17, 2021. So we'll get one trip in before I start having to pay for my son and start having to pay extra for my daughter. 😂😂😂

After that trip we won't be back for at least a year and a half, if not longer, so I'm going to try to fit in as much as possible. :)

Upvote 0

Capsin4

If uo
Hi Everyone!

I'm planning our trip for next fall and I'm trying to decide between September 18-27 or October 2-11th.

It's obviously not a huge difference, but my son's birthday is October 4th so I thought being in Disney for his 3rd birthday would be so much fun!

But what would I do park, restaurants, and resort wise? I know before 3 years old he's free for all of them, but what about after his birthday? We usually end up with the dining plan (because my daughter loves the character meals) and I don't know how to figure it out. I was thinking September to avoid the confusion all together, but I'd really love to be there for his actual birthday.
If you stay onsite, they count his age from check in. If you stay offsite, they use his age on the day he first uses his ticket (assuming it’s multiday).

Upvote 0

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If uo

If you stay onsite, they count his age from check in. If you stay offsite, they use his age on the day he first uses his ticket (assuming it’s multiday).
The reality is nobody would ask either way.

I’m not advocating impropriety...just saying how it is.

If you called a manager over in his khakis and asked “he just turned 3 today...does he need a ticket?”

They would wave him through, give him a button and tell him “have a good day, buddy!”
...in the olden day’s he would have snuck you into the back of the nearest character spot and gotten Mickey for a private.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

and you’ll have to start paying.

Unless you’re staying on-site. Then everything is on-Mickey!

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Age is based on the child's age on the day of check in or first day of entering the theme parks if not staying onsite.
If he's 2 on the first day and turns 3 during the trip he is still considered 2 for ticket/dining purposes.

Upvote 0

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
Awesome! We'll be staying on property with check in a couple of days before his birthday. I'm so excited now! My daughter spent her 7th birthday in Disney and now my son gets to spend his 3rd.

Any suggestions of fun add-ons for his birthday? We did Bippidi Boppidi Boutique for my daughter's birthday, so I want to do something special for my son!

Upvote 0

righttrack

Awesome! We'll be staying on property with check in a couple of days before his birthday. I'm so excited now! My daughter spent her 7th birthday in Disney and now my son gets to spend his 3rd.

Any suggestions of fun add-ons for his birthday? We did Bippidi Boppidi Boutique for my daughter's birthday, so I want to do something special for my son!

I would focus on his interests, be they pirate, toy story, cars, classic characters, whatever. Focus on that, as you would at home party but instead of napkins and tablecloths with a particular character's design, you can do something interactive with those characters there!

Upvote 0

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
I would focus on his interests, be they pirate, toy story, cars, classic characters, whatever. Focus on that, as you would at home party but instead of napkins and tablecloths with a particular character's design, you can do something interactive with those characters there!

That's a great idea! Thank you!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom