what happens after Mgmt Internship?

alikat33

Original Poster
My son did the CP route for 6 months, then applied for the mgmt internship and got the position (mgr at a restaurant). Supposedly, this just lasts 6 months. He's making pretty good money in this position, but would like to know what happens afterwards? He's not getting much information from his manager.

He's not finished with college yet, and I want him to go back to that. His major is Hospitality Mgmt so Disney World is a good fit.

Thoughts?

csaribay

My son did the CP route for 6 months, then applied for the mgmt internship and got the position (mgr at a restaurant). Supposedly, this just lasts 6 months. He's making pretty good money in this position, but would like to know what happens afterwards? He's not getting much information from his manager.

He's not finished with college yet, and I want him to go back to that. His major is Hospitality Mgmt so Disney World is a good fit.

Thoughts?

Depending on several factors, including job performance and the necessity for leadership in his given area, he may be offered to extend his management internship on a month to month basis until a more permanent opportunity presents itself, may be offered a temporary assignment above and beyond his internship, may be offered a fully statused role or may just formally complete his internship and possibly be offered to go seasonal in an hourly capacity.

Ultimately it is based upon many factors, and it is up to his own leadership to provide guidance on this subject. Disney, generally speaking, likes to see its talent finish their education, and that is particularly true of management interns. Given the economy and this stance on education, I find it likely that the best he'll be offered is a seasonal hourly role following the completion of his internship.

Long-term, the connections he's made with his peers and leaders from around the company will prove to be invaluable if he wants to come back. Of course, his performance in this role will be noted in his records with the company and will be a vote of confidence, but the connections and networking he's done during his time at Walt Disney World will be far more instrumental in coming back to a full-time role.

alikat33

Original Poster
Thank you for your response, Chris. I agree that finishing college, even if offered another position by Disney, is the way to go.

LarryStoken

Thank you for your response, Chris. I agree that finishing college, even if offered another position by Disney, is the way to go.
Just be forewarned that, other than the very top level executives, Disney pay is generally pretty low, even for middle level managers.

TheBeatles

Long-term, the connections he's made with his peers and leaders from around the company will prove to be invaluable if he wants to come back. Of course, his performance in this role will be noted in his records with the company and will be a vote of confidence, but the connections and networking he's done during his time at Walt Disney World will be far more instrumental in coming back to a full-time role.

Best advice about working at Disney.

Pioneer Hall

After meetings with people in operations recruitment, I was given some insight on this since it is something that we discussed. Typically they would try to place you in a full time position if you are willing to take it (of course if you are going to finish school and can't accept that is one thing). However, with the way things are now, this is not nearly as easy as it was in the past. Many of the management interns are being let go after their programs because they just don't have anywhere to put them.

mare07

Right now, management interns aren't going anywhere. They are being offered full-time positions in hourly roles or, if available, TA positions. They're luckier than some because they have been through the Emerging Leaders class and are in line for a TA before others. I have management friends who are still being shuffled around. The last leadership casting call which accepted 40/350 interviewed (not applied) candidates in Summer 2008 are still waiting in the pool for just the Emerging Leaders class to be offered. They don't even anticipate another Guest Relations pool until Summer 2010 at the absolute earliest. Right now, he'll probably either have to wait it out, get lucky and get offered a TA, or move on. They can't tell him much because they don't know much. Tis the way of Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom