What, exactly, is an animatronic?

openendedsky

I know the sleeping monk is one, but am not certain about others.

Are the tiki birds animatronics? How about the hula girls in IASW?

What qualifies and does not qualify?

I really don't know and am hoping to get more than just Yeti jokes, lol.
I always thought the jungle cruise ones didn't count because they had limited range of motion and weren't the same technology that we typically think of that comes with AA's.

What is an "animatronic"? You're kidding, right?
Hey grumpy gills, it's called a discussion.

lazyboy97o

I always thought the jungle cruise ones didn't count because they had limited range of motion and weren't the same technology that we typically think of that comes with AA's.
Correct. The Jungle Cruise figures can only do the movement you see them doing, and it just repeats endlessly. Something even as small as the Tiki Birds can be reprogrammed to move in a way different from what you see during each show.

luv

Original Poster
What is an "animatronic"? You're kidding, right?
No. Not kidding. I know Hopper is one...but wasn't sure about stuff like the Jungle Cruise. As you can see by this thread, I'm not the only one who is confused by what qualifies and what doesn't.

I know it is a dumb question, but I really don't/didn't know. What better place to ask?

If you have knowledge you're willing to share, I'd love to hear it. You're an interesting and entertaining poster when you aren't dumping on everyone.

BoarderPhreak

Keep in mind that when Disney first made his AAs... This stuff was groundbreaking - and mind-blowing. Recall the first Lincoln at MK (let alone the new one or those in American Experience). In today's age of cyborgs, droids, the Borg, etc. we're a LOT harder to impress!

Californian Elitist

No. Not kidding. I know Hopper is one...but wasn't sure about stuff like the Jungle Cruise. As you can see by this thread, I'm not the only one who is confused by what qualifies and what doesn't.

I know it is a dumb question, but I really don't/didn't know. What better place to ask?

If you have knowledge you're willing to share, I'd love to hear it. You're an interesting and entertaining poster when you aren't dumping on everyone.

Your question wasn't dumb at all. He/she probably doesn't even know what it is. Notice they didn't even answer your question.

Ragetti

Finally! A subject I know something about.

First off, animatroic is just a blend word.... animation and electronic. Any electronically animated figure is an animatronic.

Existing animatronics at the time were limited to simple repreated movments, typically based on simple mechanical linkages. These were little more than clockwork figures, run by electric motor. Christmas decorations (waving Santa, head dipping deer) are examples of such things.

The original audio-animatronics (AA) were very, VERY clever devices. First, you must remember, in the early days, digital computers were extremely expensive, difficult and time consuming to program, and limited in capability. Walt and Co, wanted to do WAY more complicated stuff than the simple animatronics could do, but how do this complicated programming? They came up with the idea of using the electronic signals generated by audio files, and sinice multi-track audio recording and playback was a well-understood at the time, they had a well-established way of synchronizing all the animated movements. The audio signals were used to modulate servo (or pneumatic or hydraulic actuator) movments and animate the figure.

Now, it's important to know that these audio signals used for servo movments are NOT the audio track you hear (music and character voices). If you actually heard the audio tracks it would sound weird...a modulated tone. The point is what the this tone looks like as an electronic signal. The track would generate an analog signal that could be used as an input to a transitor which in turn controls an actuator. These modulation tracks would be synched with the HEARD audio tracks and when the tracks are played back together, the sound and movments are synchronized.

This technology laregly became outdated in the 1980's, and new figures are made using modern digitially managed actuators. When attractions get overhauls they are often converted to newer tech as well, since the old tech was pretty maintenece intensive. I'm not sure if any of the figure still use old school AA tech. As of 10 years ago, some still did, though I don't know now.

It was truely revolutionary stuff in its day.

Alektronic

Finally! A subject I know something about.

This technology laregly became outdated in the 1980's, and new figures are made using modern digitially managed actuators. When attractions get overhauls they are often converted to newer tech as well, since the old tech was pretty maintenece intensive. I'm not sure if any of the figure still use old school AA tech. As of 10 years ago, some still did, though I don't know now.

It was truely revolutionary stuff in its day.

I don't know which technology you said was outdated, all AA figures are still using the same technology with a couple of new additions. the control programs have improved some what but the same technology is still going strong even 40-50 years later.

Basically, there are 2 types of AA's there is Animated Figures and Animated Props.

Ragetti

Thanks for that info. I know that 15 years ago, there was an effort to update the tech using modern technology (replacing the audio tracks with digitial data streams), as the old tech was described as difficult to maintain (this was at a controls systems conference that I heard the brief). For example, if they wanted to change the animation of a figure, they need to actually produce the audio track to produce the required movement, and then edit it into the original track, and then remaster the whole show tape. They were working on a way to produce the tracks using computer generated tones and then produce the entire master track digitally. The beauty of that system would be that you could integrate the older figures with newer figures driven by more modern tech seamlessly.

I know the newer rides (like the new little mermaid) use a fantastic show manager software package that uses animation concepts like key frames to generate the proper actuator data streams. This allows for very smooth and life-like movments that can be developed much faster and are easier to maintain or modify.

Cool stuff, IMO. I'd love to do some work with those guys. <sigh>

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom