What does a Soft Opening mean?

wcduke

Original Poster
I am going to WDW in September, and I have read a few times that Mission:Space is officially opening in October, but the soft opening is in August. What does that mean? Will I be able to ride in September? If only a few people are able to ride, what do I need to do to be one of those people?!?!? Thanks!!:)

jedimusik

Originally posted by wcduke
I am going to WDW in September, and I have read a few times that Mission:Space is officially opening in October, but the soft opening is in August. What does that mean? Will I be able to ride in September? If only a few people are able to ride, what do I need to do to be one of those people?!?!? Thanks!!:)

From my experience, soft opening means it's open and available to ride, but it's before all of the marketing blitz and advertising of official opening starts. They are generally working out the last few remaining kinks while testing on general public and getting feedback. (Might be a higher probability of it being closed for maintenance, etc. - though it's usually not too bad. By the soft opening time, they've usually done plenty of testing, with cast members and so forth.)

meanmice

I was there for the soft opening of Test track and Kali Rapids. For test track, it was just as if the ride was open. There was a long line and it took a while, but we went throught the singles line so it wasn't too bad. For Kali, one would think that it had been deserted. Small to no line and they sent many boats with no one in them. Also, some of the cool effects were not working yet.

jedimusik

I was at the soft opening (and cast member preview) of Animal Kingdom. Also, Test Track. It's basically the same as a normal opening, just less fanfare. For all intents and purposes, it's open.

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by jedimusik
I was at the soft opening (and cast member preview) of Animal Kingdom. Also, Test Track. It's basically the same as a normal opening, just less fanfare. For all intents and purposes, it's open.

It also depends on if you are talking unannounced or announced--announced being the type you will be there for, with relatively set hours--the ride will be open as much as possible. Disney also uses unannounced soft openings, that it does not even let Guest Relations tell guests about--you just happen to be at the right place at the right time. They did this for about a week at Test Track, for example, during the week following Christmas in 1998, with the announced soft openings beginning in January 1999. If you plan to be at Epcot more than a couple times, you will more than likely be able to ride.

Sir Hiss527

Hi Welcome to WDWMAGIC!

Soft Opening is kind of like not expected when a new ride is to open. So it's only gonna for a day or two unexpected. Also it's not really advertised or anything. But here at WDWMAGIC we learn all about it.

jrashadb

Originally posted by DogsRule!
It also depends on if you are talking unannounced or announced--announced being the type you will be there for, with relatively set hours--the ride will be open as much as possible. Disney also uses unannounced soft openings, that it does not even let Guest Relations tell guests about--you just happen to be at the right place at the right time. They did this for about a week at Test Track, for example, during the week following Christmas in 1998, with the announced soft openings beginning in January 1999. If you plan to be at Epcot more than a couple times, you will more than likely be able to ride.

Yo, I was at that Soft opening for TT. I was there a week or two before Christmas, actually. I waited in line for, like, ever. I think I'm still in that line. It extended all the way back to innoventions.
But, yeah... soft openings are great. I agree with DR. If you show up in September, you'll more than likely be able to get ont he ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom