What do you think of OKW

captainkidd

I wouldn't say I hated it, but we certainly didn't care for it. I like being closer to the parks. I also don't care much for the DVC studios. The transportation was lousy when we were there, and we literally had a 10-15 minute walk to the nearest place to get food. Just wasn't our cup of tea.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

When we stayed there it just felt a bit old. Admittedly they were in the middle of a room refresh and we still had an old room, so that feeling may no longer exist. The rooms were larger than elsewhere on property. Bus service was adequate. Our biggest issue was with the lack of food choices. CS menu seemed to be the smallest on property, and has no indoor seating. Heck, its an outdoor window. So if you plan on grabbing something from CS and its raining, you get wet. Unless you run into the lobby to eat.

Its a fine resort, but if I am paying those prices, I would rather be in a self contained location. But if you prefer a little more seclusion, and a bit quieter atmosphere, either OKW or SSR should be suitable for that.

Upvote 0

stratman50th

As I answer these questions, I'm starting to see a theme in my responses. Space. I like room to move around in, and I hate tripping over stuff! We always eat breakfast in the room regardless of where we stay. Sometimes, like the French Quarter we'll eat a pizza in the room or something from the food court for dinner. So having the full kitchen is also nice for us. Washer and dryer in the room is also a great perk.
I've only stayed there once before, and we were near the end of Old Turtle Pond Rd. We were almost directly across the parking lot from the bus stop and a short walk to the pool. There was a little QS counter at that pool as well and we could get sandwiches. Nothing big but they were fine.
We had the two bedroom model and it was great! In there were my Mother and Father in the master bedroom. My wife and I, plus my daughter in the second bedroom, and my nephew on the fold out couch in the living room.
I didn't have a problem with the bus service, but it is what it is and I don't expect more than it can deliver.

Next month we're staying in the one bedroom and there will be four of us. We'll see if I have the same opinion when I get back this time.

Upvote 0

bgraham34

I find the resort to be very relaxing. It is usually quiet and has a very laid back feel to it. While I don't really like the busing system it is not terrible by any means. I like the size of the rooms and I like the look of the rooms. I also love taking the boat at night to DD. Its such a relaxing ride.

Upvote 0
I enjoy OKW for trips that we don't plan on spending a lot of time in the parks.

Pros:
  • Largest of the DVC rooms
  • Very quiet resort
  • Able to walk or boat to DTD

Cons:
  • Long waits for buses
  • Eating choices

As far as park vicinity it's a close drive to Epcot and DHS. For those of you who have not stayed here in awhile the rooms have all been refurbished.

Upvote 0

dizzney

We have also found the resort to be very relaxing and the rooms are spacious. I like the full washer and dryer which is not seen in other one and two bedrooms on property.

Havent been there since the refurbishment but I'm sure that has refreshed the resort.

The down side to this resort is the proximity to the parks, love being at Boardwalk with that short walk to two parks

Upvote 0

stratman50th

For those of you who have not stayed here in awhile the rooms have all been refurbished.
That's great! Anything of note, or just new and fresh?
And here's a shot in the dark question, I've stayed in the two bedroom before, but never the one bedroom. (Not the studio).
I've seen a floor plan but was wondering about the layout of the one bedroom vs the two, especially the bathroom and sink area. Ok, my real question is, the wife and I have the master and my 16 year old daughter and her friend are sharing the fold out couch. Are we going to have bathroom/prep area conflicts?

Upvote 0

Tonka's Skipper

I find it odd that we love old key west..and in 9 trips there and the trips friends and family have made......we very really waited more the 15 minutes for a bus.........

Now if your the type that doesn't use mass transit much and expect the bus to your destination to magically appear as you get to the bus stop.then you will not be happy.

As to eating you have to remember OKW is a villas resort with most units having a full kitchen and many do cook in thier units.....there are also BBQ's by old turtle crawl and we usually take one night bbq there as a family night by the pool and hot tub.

Just my opinion

AKK

Upvote 0

Bri1121

My uncle has time share there and we stayed a few times. I think the rooms are great and spacious! We got a lot of people in there. I like the space to eat in room. The buses are fine but I remember not being impressed by the pool. But it was relaxing. When we stay with him we usually spend a long time. So we would come back in the afternoon to get out of the heat and swim, eat, relax. We would go to the store and buy food to eat in room. '

I liked it, its just a different experience. We know try to stay either near MK or Epcot. Love the boats and monorail!

Upvote 0
That's great! Anything of note, or just new and fresh?
And here's a shot in the dark question, I've stayed in the two bedroom before, but never the one bedroom. (Not the studio).
I've seen a floor plan but was wondering about the layout of the one bedroom vs the two, especially the bathroom and sink area. Ok, my real question is, the wife and I have the master and my 16 year old daughter and her friend are sharing the fold out couch. Are we going to have bathroom/prep area conflicts?

The biggest change was wood flooring in the living/kitchen area in lieu of carpet. Looks very nice and gives the place a completely different look. They also replaced the blinds on the patio doors with folded shades.

The floor plan for the 1 bedroom is identical to the 2 bedroom minus the 2nd bedroom. The master will have the private sunken tub and sink. The shower and toilet will have to be shared. Prep area will not be a problem. The girls can also use the large mirror over by the dinette table.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

Stayed there for the first time in Nov and am looking forward to my stay in October there again. I thought the resort had a great laid back feeling and honestly put it in a different category than other deluxe level hotels. You could definitely tell that this was built more for DVC, but I liked that.

Upvote 0

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
My wife and I love Old Key West. I mean, we really love it. We love the rooms, the laid back vibe, the pool, the views of the golf course, we especially love the Gurgling Suitcase and the wonderful people tending bar. If it is not Food & Wine festival, it is our first choice resort.

Evan, you are absolutely right about the feel of the resort being different. And different in a good way. It feels like Disney really put a lot of thought into what an on property vacation club resort should be. And in my opinion, they got it right.

Quack.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

My wife and I love Old Key West. I mean, we really love it. We love the rooms, the laid back vibe, the pool, the views of the golf course, we especially love the Gurgling Suitcase and the wonderful people tending bar. If it is not Food & Wine festival, it is our first choice resort.

Evan, you are absolutely right about the feel of the resort being different. And different in a good way. It feels like Disney really put a lot of thought into what an on property vacation club resort should be. And in my opinion, they got it right.

Quack.

:sohappy::wave:

Upvote 0

stratman50th

The biggest change was wood flooring in the living/kitchen area in lieu of carpet. Looks very nice and gives the place a completely different look. They also replaced the blinds on the patio doors with folded shades.
Sounds really nice!

The floor plan for the 1 bedroom is identical to the 2 bedroom minus the 2nd bedroom. The master will have the private sunken tub and sink. The shower and toilet will have to be shared.
About what I thought. I saw a floor plan for the Treehouse Villas and it wasn't the same as the one I stayed in. I wasn't sure if I had found good floor plans for OKW or a "concept" floor plan. What I found was as you described, same but without the second room and bathroom (darn! would have loved a second one;))

Prep area will not be a problem. The girls can also use the large mirror over by the dinette table.
There's the silver lining in the one bathroom only cloud! :D

Upvote 0

disneyrcks

We love OKW for many of the same reasons stated here already (vibe, great rooms, proximity to DTD). We also absolutely love the Gurgurling Suitcase, sitting on our balcony enjoying the views and the pool. We were so disappointed the first time we couldn't book anywhere else except OKW while using DVC points but I am so glad that it happened or we may never have ended up staying there.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom