What Do You Think is in Phase Two for Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Strong weed this one.must smoke. Yesterday before the media event with one ride the place was packed.
In Orlando??

Anything with a kiddie ride is packed these days...they haven’t put in enough capacity for 20 years!

The idea of expansion of the Star Wars land is complicated. It is more about their longterm prospects to sell the IP than it is park crowds...me thinks.

ImperfectPixie

It's the conclusion I've drawn from the performance of the land. The quality is there but most people grew up in a world where Star Wars was not Disney and it is still difficult to accept the premise. More importantly, Star Wars has fans. There is absolutely no doubt about that. But most of them are not going to give Disney over 100 dollars to go visit a theme park land especially when everything except the two rides is double the price (in the best case scenario) of what it should be. So I suppose you could say there is a pricing issue. While it is still too early to tell since Rise of the Resistance has been open a single day, if that ride under performs, my view is that Disney theme park fans reject Star Wars as "Disney." And I know Avatar does not have a big fan base and did fine but Avatar was fairly new when it was announced it would be added into Disney. Star Wars went decades without being a Disney product. With regard to Star Tours, it was accepted by Disney park fans when it was a single attraction in a Disney park. Not an entire land dedicated to it. That's my view of the situation at the moment.
I don't agree that SW fans aren't willing to visit a theme park, nor that they haven't adjusted to Disney owning the IP. I do agree that the land needs more to flesh it out - especially things that don't involve additional expenditures from guests. I also think the price hikes - across the board - were a very, very foolish move. SW fans are willing to invest huge money into merch and collectibles (and getting to where they need to be to purchase those items)...but not if they feel like they're being taken for suckers. The resort and especially the huge ticket increases (not to mention, for the uninitiated, the confusing tiered pricing) have left a bad taste in the mouths of a lot of people. So, while I do agree that there are definitely pricing issues at play here, I don't think people aren't visiting the land due to lack of interest. I DO think many have been waiting for both attractions to be open.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
It is more about their longterm prospects to sell the IP

I really hope so. Wonder who would buy it. Maybe TBS. Obviously I'm kidding. But I am seriously wondering how Comcast/Uni would have executed on the land and the franchise. For some reason I think it would be different. Not necessarily better or worse. That would be left up to interpretation. But I think it would be different.

PB Watermelon

I DO think many have been waiting for both attractions to be open.

As Eddie Valiant said, "Yup. That's my hunch."

As for a third attraction, they're stuck in the Battu post-Last Jedi/pre-Rise of Skywalker time-frame, so they have to work in those parameters (though they could easily do a work-around...a cave or even a spire strong in the Force, and inside, you see your classic characters, something like that). I don't think we're going to see a new attraction for a long time, with so much being done (California Adventure, Tomorrowland overlay, Magic Kingdom, Epcot). It will be a while. Figure a sit-down restaurant is more likely than anything else in the next couple of years, and even two years might be wildly optimistic.

Last edited:

Tonto

Many Disney fans ONLY care about Disney...they can take or leave Star Wars as long as it doesn’t interfere with a 4,000 Calorie breakfast at crystal palace or a 2 hour wait for a projection show.

Now Star Wars fans have little use for Disney if they don’t give them enough of what they want in good enough quality.

That’s where we are with the franchise since “last of the story coherency”
Okay, you have a strong opinion, but it is just that.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The land was a failure 24 hours ago and now it’s Star Wars is awesome...what happens next? Lol

Perhaps we wait long enough to get to the equilibrium point where an actual results driven opinion can be verified??

One caveat: the launch of both were vastly inadequate. “Down attendance” was never the goal for a $2 bil capex.

It would be like them increasing the price of character buffets to $200 a person (currently slated for 2024) and then the defenders here trying to indicate that it’s “driven by the market” when nobody shows up.

Let’s use our “big girl/boy” brains, huh?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Okay, you have a strong opinion, but it is just that.
Indeed...
Based on a lifetime of Star Wars fandom, nearly as long of Disney, Disney operations/business/financial analysis experience (they paid me...silly fools), and penchant for studying the history/trends of everything I can get my hands on - including these two things - for “fun”.

As opposed to collecting mouse ears or magic bands...

What do YOU think about what my opinion should be? 🤔

totchos

What are the chances that the Mandalorian could show up in whatever form inside the land?

*Update* Nevermind. I see now that it takes place prior to the new trilogy.

justintheharris

I don't agree that SW fans aren't willing to visit a theme park, nor that they haven't adjusted to Disney owning the IP. I do agree that the land needs more to flesh it out - especially things that don't involve additional expenditures from guests. I also think the price hikes - across the board - were a very, very foolish move. SW fans are willing to invest huge money into merch and collectibles (and getting to where they need to be to purchase those items)...but not if they feel like they're being taken for suckers. The resort and especially the huge ticket increases (not to mention, for the uninitiated, the confusing tiered pricing) have left a bad taste in the mouths of a lot of people. So, while I do agree that there are definitely pricing issues at play here, I don't think people aren't visiting the land due to lack of interest. I DO think many have been waiting for both attractions to be open.
Another point to be made: every time I speak to a Star Wars fan about the land, they ask "what planet did they build? Batuu? What's that? Why didn't they build Naboo or Tattooine?"

And perhaps you are right people were waiting for both rides. Only time will tell but I don't think that's the case. I think Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway is going to be what draws people into Hollywood Studios more than Toy Story land or Star Wars land.

Ps. I know why Disney built Batuu. I don't need an answer to that question.

Victor Kelly

Maybe a green R2 unit that speaks english holding up guests at blaster point demanding their wallets?

I think Disney really expected a jump in guests because of Star Wars, but in reality they threw a party for fan boys and girls. The rest of the world could care less. I grew up with Star Wars. But the new movies besides Rogue One were terrible. Not to mention their actors and directors keep shooting their mouths off at every opportunity about everything but Star Wars. Fans have been alienated or feel they have been so. Cause and effect here.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What are the chances that the Mandalorian could show up in whatever form inside the land?

*Update* Nevermind. I see now that it takes place prior to the new trilogy.
Whether Disney likes it or not...they’re going to have to “fix this”
Sooner than later
Maybe a green R2 unit that speaks english holding up guests at blaster point demanding their wallets?

I think Disney really expected a jump in guests because of Star Wars, but in reality they threw a party for fan boys and girls. The rest of the world could care less. I grew up with Star Wars. But the new movies besides Rogue One were terrible. Not to mention their actors and directors keep shooting their mouths off at every opportunity about everything but Star Wars. Fans have been alienated or feel they have been so. Cause and effect here.
Disney calculated 6 years ago that “any Star Wars will do”. They thought the “brand” is more important than substance. That’s iger’s fingerprints. Pay billions and that’s all ya gotta do, right?

Ironically...it’s what they DIDN’T learn from marvel. They were caught on a train in motion there and had to go along with it.

About $25 billion later at the ticket booth...here we are.

With Star Wars, you get the biggest true fans in Hollywood, you STAY THE HELL OUT OF THE DIRECTION, and you sit back and let the fans love you. They didn’t do it.

They ignored the prior prequel mistakes and compounded it with this:
People love Star Wars because of the OT. All the other stuff are the side dishes.

To build a full land that specifically ignores the OT...just like relabeling everything and rebooting it in episode 7...shows they don’t get it.

And I will never get why? If what they say is true: they have no reason to “forget the past”. Way more money to embrace it, revitalize it, and expand outward with the new.

Bungled. Just my opinion.

totchos

I think Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway is going to be what draws people into Hollywood Studios more than Toy Story land or Star Wars land.
I do not think this will be the case at all. It will get crowds i'm sure but not on the levels of TSL or GE. Esp. considering how salty people are over the fact that its replacing GMR.

There are tons of people who love GE and actually like the new movies and tv series. The ones who hate it just voice their opinion on it way more which is why it seems like theres only one consensus on the subject.

justintheharris

I do not think this will be the case at all. It will get crowds i'm sure but not on the levels of TSL or GE. Esp. considering how salty people are over the fact that its replacing GMR.

There are tons of people who love GE and actually like the new movies and tv series. The ones who hate it just voice their opinion on it way more which is why it seems like theres only one consensus on the subject.
The FORUM is salty about the replacement of Great Movie Ride. The Average park goer is ecstatic for the new ride.

Tonto

Indeed...
Based on a lifetime of Star Wars fandom, nearly as long of Disney, Disney operations/business/financial analysis experience (they paid me...silly fools), and penchant for studying the history/trends of everything I can get my hands on - including these two things - for “fun”.

As opposed to collecting mouse ears or magic bands...

What do YOU think about what my opinion should be? 🤔
Less demonstrative.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom