What do you all think about Riverside?

Jenngusto

I am going to the World 12/12 thru 12/19 with my fiance and we upgraded from Pop Century to Port Orleans Riverside. But now I have read some reviews that are not so great about Riverside... about mousekeeping issues and the age of the buildings showing... :confused:

For those of you who have stayed here, what do you think? :lookaroun

This is my first trip where I will be staying in anything but a value resort and my fiance's 2nd trip in his whole life to the World (he was 5 when he went the first time). I want him to want to return as I love the World and hope to share this love with him! So you can see I want this to be a fun and worry-less trip. HELP please.. :veryconfu

No matter what, we are going to the WORLD! :sohappy: :wave:

KimviG

Yeah me too

I'm planning on going in April and would like to know how everyone's experiences are too. Especially if you were in a room using a trundle bed.

Upvote 0

William Marsden

I stayed with my wife at Riverside on our first WDW trip in May of 1993. I haven't stayed there since but all i can say is that you never forget your first love.:)

I've spoken with several people who went to Riverside during the past year. All of them loved it.

Upvote 0

SallyShine

we stayed there in 04 and had no problems. my only complaint was having to walk alot at the resort. other than that, it was great. we really enjoyed the food court and the pool. my youngest (7) slept on the trundle and was fine.

Upvote 0

dannytaylor

Riverside is a very beautiful and quiet resort,you will absolutley love at that time of the year.My family and i stayed there last year and the only real problem we had was that mousekeeping did not bring us enough coffee,at one time.You will have a great time at riverside

Upvote 0

ROTM

Riverside has a nicer pool and lobby plus a sit down resturant and its quiter.
PoP doesn't share buses and has a better cafeteria and is cheaper and newer beds and facilities.

Upvote 0

Kriszee1

I am going there in November, so I will let you know what we thought of it. A friend of ours has gone to DIsney at least twice a year for 26 years and says that POR one of his very favorite resorts. I am looking forward to enjoying a carraige ride at night and taking the boat to Downtown Disney. We are staying in the Alligator Bayou section because we are traveling with my 2 yo son who will use the trundle bed. I ahve stayed at All Star movies, and I really did not like it. Bed was horrible, loud (ok if you are going with kids), only has a food court and a little bar. Carribean Beach was really nice. I have stayed there twice and enjoyed it both times. We stayed in Jamaica the last time we went and it was just a walk over the bridge to get to the food & fun. Cool bar too. Like I said, I'll be able to let you know when we return from our trip in November.:sohappy:

Upvote 0

LeeLee D

I stayed at Riverside in June. It is a very beautiful resort. I had no trouble with the room and the mousekeeping was excellent. The staff was very friendly and I lost my self in the wonderful atmosphere.:)

It is very large and you will have to walk awhile to get to the lobby/food court or the pool. If you wander around in the early AM or at dusk, look for bunnies!

I usually stay at Pop and will probably not return to Riverside for a while. While I had a great time, the walking was a bit too much for me. Being an "extra fluffy" person, I'll stick to the preferred rooms at Pop.

Upvote 0

drewchyi

I was there for this past spring break. Be expected to walk ALOT! The rooms are kinda dark and gloomy looking. Mouse keeping was fine. I wouldn't stay there again, cuz after a long day of walking around the parks.....the last thing I want to do is walk a long way to my room.
The food options are pretty limited as well.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Jenngusto said:
I am going to the World 12/12 thru 12/19 with my fiance and we upgraded from Pop Century to Port Orleans Riverside. But now I have read some reviews that are not so great about Riverside... about mousekeeping issues and the age of the buildings showing... :confused:

1: I love POR. As an adult, I've been to WDW 5 times. 3 of those times, I stayed at POR (or as it was once called, Dixie Landings).

2: I can't explain an issue with bad housekeeping. I don't recall ever having bad housekeeping, but as a rule, because I'm such a slob, I usually let housekeeping know that they can let my room go, except for dropping off fresh towels.

3: The entire resort was renovated between 2004 and 2005. Whoever complained about the age of the buildings showing, you may want to ask them when they went, and see if they went pre-refurb. Also, this might seem kind of silly, but half of the buildings in the resort, called "Alligator Bayou" are meant to look more rustic and lived-in than the faux mansions on the other side of the resort "Magnolia Bend." And I've heard people complaining, for whom the theming was lost, who'd wanted to stay in the fancy white buildings. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

KRT

The nighttime ambiance at POR is great. You can take a nice long walk along the river or have a carriage ride. I also like the way the Mansion buildings look when they're lit up at night..very classy.

Upvote 0

colliera

Rooms are fine

I stayed at POR last June in Magnolia Bend side, (plantation mansions), and the room was fine. In fact I'm going back in October.

It is a lot like CBR except CBR is way too big for me. It was a effort to get around inside the resort if you had to walk.

Upvote 0
We stayed at POR twice and we LOved it. My sister recommended this hotel cause during her year in the CP she and her boyfriend were able to stay at many of the resorts on their time off and her favorite was POR. We think she liked it so much cause it reminded her of home :). Our first time we were in the Alligator Bayou section on our last visit we had requested the same section but there were no available rooms at check in so we were upgraded to a water view room in Magnolia Bend. And we did have a great view though we were on the second floor which was a problem until we found the elevators.

And yes there is alot of extra walking to and from bus stops and the main lobby and such. But the atmosphere is great and the surroundings so beautiful I think its worth it.

We will also be staying there in Dec so see you there...:wave:

Upvote 0
we were there in 2004 and just loved it. we have stayed at CBR the value resorts , Poly and found that POR is beautiful. in fact we will be staying there from 12/23 to 1/1 this year:xmas: take the boat to downtown disney it is so nice and relaxed:xmas:

Upvote 0

abe_bb

We stayed there in September of '05, so less then a year ago!

First off, we loved it enough to go back again this year to the same resort. And to put it into perspective, we could of (and looked at) staying in either a Savannah room at the AKL or a MK View room at the Contemp. But what it came down to for us was how we were treated and how much we enjoyed our stay at PoR.

Mousekeeping, no matter what hotel you stay at, is always going to be hit or miss at times. I have heard stories of horrible housekeeping at 5 star resorts. Our personal experience was excellent. While we did not get any towel animals, they always did something special with my daughters stuffed animals.

The buildings in Alligator Bayou look aged, peeling, and a bit run down. But it also looks RIGHT. It's all part of the theming. They are supposed to look that way.

The hotel is also VERY romantic in the evening, probably more so then anywhere else on property. It is quiet, the walkways between the buildings are lit with the little path "solar lights", giving it a more subtle feel. Also the Horse Carriage rides at night, and just standing on the little bridge watching the water wheel turn in the moonlight... very romantic.

There are plenty of activities for everyone, from fishing (catch and release) to boat rentals, bike rentals and entertainment. You have to see Bob Jackson while you are there. He is great, and does a family friendly show in the hotel bar/lounge.

The food court is EXCELLENT, the only thing i was dissapointed there is that when we went, for some reason they didn't serve Biscuits and Gravy or Pralines. But otherwise the food there (at least what we tried, which was a bit of everything), was on-par with standard fare sit down (perkins, country kitchen, etc). It was also very decently priced, considering.

Also, I am not sure how often they do this but... our first evening there my wife wanted me to run to the food court and get some drinks in our mugs quick. When I went in, it wasn't busy (It was around 10:30), and the workers were singing, banging pots, etc. Making music. For some reason, that struck me as very cool, and i hope i get to experience that again this year.

Bus transportation was decent, we never had to wait very long. Of course, at a busier time of year, who knows. I have heard some people say they had problems, but some of those were also there the same time we were... so I am not sure the accuracy of either of our statments (we could be lenient in our opinions, or others could be harsh).

The only problem we had was with a waitress at boatwrights. The service was very poor, but we wrote that off as a "what can ya do" type of thing, and we are trying it again this year.

Have fun and enjoy your stay!

(Wow... I just realized... 14 days until we go!!!!!)

Upvote 0

Jenngusto

Original Poster
Thank you all so much. My anxiety over the switch is subsiding and I am looking forward to my trip even more. :sohappy: We do not mind a lot of walking and it sounds like it is a great place with great theming and romance as well.:)

For those of you who are going soon, have a great time and tell the World I say "hi" and I'm coming home soon. :wave:

Upvote 0

hansel1

I'm glad your anxiety has subsided. We stayed in the AB section of POR this past january and loved it. Room was nice, mousekeeping was great, the atmosphere was wonderful.

You won't regret your decision.

Upvote 0

animay

This thread just reminded me that I need to call and put in a room request for my upcoming trip to Riverside. Love those mansion style buildings. :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom