What Do You Actually Call the Rides?

Rich T

Original Poster
Jogged by a recent discussion in the Misc. Thoughts thread (and the unwieldliness of SW:RotR), I thought about ride names and how the public generally shortens them to something easy and to-the-point. Here's my list of what I, my family and my friends usually call the rides at DL:

The Train
Jungle Cruise
Tiki Room
Treehouse
Indy
Pirates
Mansion
Splash
Pooh
Canoes
Mark Twain
Tom Sawyer Island
Big Thunder
Pinocchio
Snow White
Peter Pan
Toad
Alice
Teacups
Casey
Storybookland
Small World
Roger
Matterhorn
Autopia
Nemo
Monorail
Buzz
Star Tours
Space Mountain
That (while pointing at Astro Orbitor)
Lincoln

I think this is (mostly) in line with how frequent park visitors refer to the rides, but how closely does it match your own experience? People enjoy names that are quick and to-the-point. I can see the GP quickly referring to the SWGE rides as "Star Wars" and "Falcon".

Last edited:

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Jogged by a recent discussion in the Misc. Thoughts thread (and the unwieldliness of SW:RotR), I thought about ride names and how the public generally shortens them to something easy and to-the-point. Here's my list of what I, my family and my friends usually call the rides at DL:

The Train
Jungle Cruise
Tiki Room
Treehouse
Indy
Pirates
Mansion
Splash
Pooh
Canoes
Mark Twain
Tom Sawyer Island
Big Thunder
Pinocchio
Snow White
Peter Pan
Toad
Alice
Teacups
Small World
Roger
Matterhorn
Autopia
Nemo
Monorail
Buzz
Star Tours
Space Mountain
Lincoln

I think this is (mostly) in line with how frequent park visitors refer to the rides, but how closely does it match your own experience? People enjoy names that are quick and to-the-point. I can see the GP quickly referring to the SWGE rides as "Star Wars" and "Falcon".

I'll take your list and make adjustments for myself:

I still use the full Haunted Mansion.
I use Thunder Mountain.
I still say Roger Rabbit.
Nemo for me is The Subs.
I say The Matterhorn.
I say Toad's.
I say The Mark Twain.
The Tiki Room.

Essentially I add "the" to more things and use a couple of longer phrases.

Cool thread idea!

mickEblu

The Train
Jungle Cruise
Tiki Room
Treehouse
Indy
Pirates
Mansion
Splash
Pooh
Canoes
Mark Twain
Tom Sawyer Island
Big Thunder
Pinocchio
Snow White
Peter Pan
Toad
Alice
Teacups
Small World
Roger
Matterhorn
Autopia
Nemo
Monorail
Buzz
Star Tours
Space Mountain
Lincoln

The Train
The Jungle Cruise
Tiki Room
Indiana Jones
Pirates
Haunted Mansion
Splash Mountain
Winnie the Pooh
Thunder Mountain
Pinocchio
Snow White
Peter Pan
Mr. Toad
Alice/ Alice in Wonderland
The Teacups
Small World
Roger Rabbit
The Matterhorn
Autopia
Finding Nemo
The Monorail
Buzz
Star Tours
Space Mountain

ght

Pirates of the Caribbean = Pirates
Haunted Mansion = Haunted Mansion
Disneyland Railroad = The Train
Mad Tea Party = Tea Cups
Buzz Lightyear Astroblasters = Buzz
Its a Small World = Small World
Mr Toad's Wild Ride = Toad
Peter Pan's Flight = Pan
Pinocchio's Daring Journey = Pinocchio
Snow White's Scary Adventures = Snow White
Autopia = Autotopia
Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Forbidden Eye = Bouncy Bouncy Temple Ride

180º

@mickEblu ’s list is a lot like mine!

The Disneyland Railroad varies for me in that I’ll call it “The Railroad” when referring to it as a subject, but I’ll say “Take the train” as sort of a verb.

Tower of Terror was always “Tower,” Guardians of the Galaxy etc. is now “Guardians.”

The horribly named Pixar Pal Around is still “The Fun Wheel,” which itself was a really easy transition to make from the Sun Wheel.

“Falcon” is going to be a nice, easy abbreviation.

ROTR could be abbreviated to “Star Wars,” but having Falcon and Star Tours in the same park makes “Star Wars” a little too vague. “Rise” is an awful abbreviation, “Resistance” doesn’t really work either. The full name just has too many syllables. Flight of Passage, while you can’t really abbreviate it to “Flight” or “Passage,” is easy to say in full as “Flighduhpassage.” Try saying Rise of the Resistance fast and it’ll come out something like “Rizahluhzuhstuluhuuzuhstuh.”

mickEblu

The Disneyland Railroad varies for me in that I’ll call it “The Railroad” when referring to it as a subject, but I’ll say “Take the train” as sort of a verb.

Tower of Terror was always “Tower,” Guardians of the Galaxy etc. is now “Guardians.”

The horribly named Pixar Pal Around is still “The Fun Wheel,” which itself was a really easy transition to make from the Sun Wheel.

ROTR could be abbreviated to “Star Wars,” but having Falcon and Star Tours in the same park makes “Star Wars” a little too vague. “Rise” is an awful abbreviation, “Resistance” doesn’t really work either. The full name just has too many syllables. Flight of Passage, while you can’t really abbreviate it to “Flight” or “Passage,” is easy to say in full as “Flightuhpassage.” Try saying Rise of the Resistance fast and it’ll come out something like “Rizahluhzuhstuluhuuzuhstuh.”

Lol. It’s even closer than you think. I wanted to give the same explanation almost verbatim for the Railroad/ Train and just got lazy.

Last edited:

mickEblu

ROTR could be abbreviated to “Star Wars,” but having Falcon and Star Tours in the same park makes “Star Wars” a little too vague. “Rise” is an awful abbreviation, “Resistance” doesn’t really work either. The full name just has too many syllables. Flight of Passage, while you can’t really abbreviate it to “Flight” or “Passage,” is easy to say in full as “Flighduhpassage.” Try saying Rise of the Resistance fast and it’ll come out something like “Rizahluhzuhstuluhuuzuhstuh.”

Yeah ‘Rise’ isn’t a great abbreviation but it sounds the most likely. Or maybe let’s go on “The Resistance.”

mickEblu

The "Pixar Pal Around" will always be "Mickey's Fun Wheel of Death".

So what do you think Is Mickeys Wheel of Death or Goofys Final Destination the scariest Ride at DLR? I used to think the former but after having ridden the Mickey Wheel a couple times late last year it got less scary each time. Those first few turns on Goofy are consistently scary.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
So what do you think Is Mickeys Wheel of Death or Goofys Final Destination the scariest Ride at DLR? I used to think the former but after having ridden the Mickey Wheel a couple times late last year it got less scary each time. Those first few turns on Goofy are consistently scary.
Do you mean Goofy's Sky School? It's pretty tame, especially if you've been on Primeval Whirl.

SuddenStorm

I'm hoping we abbreviate Star Wars Rise of the Resistance to just "Rotr", pronounced "Rotor".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom