What do I need to know for MK on New Years Eve

CB2@disney

So, It looks like we are going to be at MK the happiest place on year on the biggest night of the year. Anyone have any tips or advice for the night.

Thanks,
Carie

mbisenius

Be there early in the day! A few years ago, we were in Epcot and tried to take the monorail over around 5 and were told they weren't letting in any more guests. We opted for MGM instead and were able to walk on Star Tours multiple times, Muppetvision, and Great Movie Ride before watching fireworks there. We still had a great time but would have been nice to make it to MK.

Upvote 0

awesomeinabox

We went a few years ago on NYE and ended up going to MK the night before as they used to run the exact same show two nights in a row, so that might be an option if you wanted to see the show there and avoid crowds. We ended up at MGM for NYE and it was incredible, there were no where near the crowds as MK and seeing fireworks at MGM was a treat that doesn't happen often, not to mention their house band is nothing short of fantastic.

Upvote 0

sgtmgd

We were there this past New Years and what a blast, MK, EPCOT, and DHS will be open until very early..crowds can close the parks so keep that in mind....we stayed at DHS....tons of entertainment ..Osborne Light shows..drinks..it was a fantastic evening

Upvote 0

tsaintc

As every one else has mentioned to get there early; plan to stay late. In 2011, it took us 1.5 hours to get from the hub to a bus. Mainstreet was complete gridlock for 45 minutes alone.

Ride times in the morning are normal for that time of year. Nothing too terrible. However, after lunch time, the park seemed to change drastically. Wait times for major rides were well over the 200 minute mark. It was very difficult to move around in most places. In the early afternoon, CMs will be handing out party hats and horns; be prepared to hear those horns for the rest of the day.

If you are planning to watch the countdown from the hub, be there by 6pm or you will most likely not get in. They rope off the Mainstreet loop around 6pm and leave the ropes up until after the new year display. Also, they lock down the hub after the second MSEP. The crowd can only move in one direction within the street/parade loop; constant flow of people. We sat in the same spot from 5pm until after midnight and have the pics to prove it.

Upvote 0

rufio

As every one else has mentioned to get there early; plan to stay late. In 2011, it took us 1.5 hours to get from the hub to a bus. Mainstreet was complete gridlock for 45 minutes alone.

Ride times in the morning are normal for that time of year. Nothing too terrible. However, after lunch time, the park seemed to change drastically. Wait times for major rides were well over the 200 minute mark. It was very difficult to move around in most places. In the early afternoon, CMs will be handing out party hats and horns; be prepared to hear those horns for the rest of the day.

If you are planning to watch the countdown from the hub, be there by 6pm or you will most likely not get in. They rope off the Mainstreet loop around 6pm and leave the ropes up until after the new year display. Also, they lock down the hub after the second MSEP. The crowd can only move in one direction within the street/parade loop; constant flow of people. We sat in the same spot from 5pm until after midnight and have the pics to prove it.

That sounds terrible...

Upvote 0

timeman

I would highly recommend either Epcot or Hollywood Studios for New Year's Eve. I have done two New Year's Eves down there and both times at Epcot. If you are planning on riding any rides that day get there at opening to get Fast Passes as they go fast and the lines will be long. I did New Year's Eve in 2010 at Epcot and the one thing I did that was smart was get the Fast Pass for Soarin first as they were just handing them to you and then went straight over to Test Track and got a Fast Pass for it also. Usually after 6pm the wait times for Spaceship Earth are under an hour and JIM is basically a walk on. The only rides with the long standby times are going to be Test Track & Soarin' along with Mission Space after 6pm as people are either already in line for those or staking their place for the Fireworks.. I recommend if you do Epcot or if you end up doing Hollywood Studios stay late. Hollywood Studios usually has EMH on New Year's Eve from 12am -3am, so if you are staying on property it's the best time to be there. I walked from Epcot to Hollywood Studios that year. I left Epcot around 12:30am and got over to Hollywood Studios around 1am and will have to say the back part of the park was almost empty. This is the best time to check out the Osborne Lights as that night up until 3am I was probably one of only 12 people in the sections which allowed me to get a lot of great pictures of the lights with nobody in my shots. Also at 2am the wait time for Toy Story was under 5 minutes, so I was able to ride it a few times within a short period of time.

Upvote 0

minniemickeyfan

Go the night before if you can..same fireworks. Go to Studios on New Years Eve-a rare chance to see their fireworks display. I have been to MK on New Years Eve. Its total gridlock, long lines, and can't hardly move through the street. Oh...and everyone sounding their horns.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom