What Defined the Decade at WDW?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
The effect of Harry Potter on Disney's direction with themed lands and MyMagic+ including Fastpass+, interactive queues, all that's good and bad about them.

I still think the end of the decade is bringing more good things to WDW than bad. Yes, some things have definitely not improved and there's plenty of missteps along the way, but I think in 3 years time we're going to see a much better experience than a decade ago once more things are finalized and opened between the parks.

Bill Bogner

I agree with Harry Potter having the impact of forcing all of the Florida theme parks to up their games.
As for me, getting older (just turned 65) has had a defining impact on how I take my vacations in WDW. I stopped worrying about seeing everything in a park in one day, and now take the fastpasses as the "best" thing for that day. Being old does give perspective, and it helps you to relax and enjoy what experiences that occur for you each day. Some of my best moments in WDW has been interactions with Cast Members that made my day a positive enjoyment!! Disconnecting from the real world and escaping to the Disney bubble brings a lot of joy in so many ways! I will continue to vacation at WDW and look for different ways to relax and enjoy what Disney presents each trip.

ObscurityPoint

In terms of the defining attraction/land developed for the decade? I’m going to have to say New Fantasyland. Sure, Pandora and SWGE were/are big deals, but whenever I think of MK, the flagship park, in the ‘10s, I can’t imagine it without Mine Train, Gaston’s, etc. I think the main reason it stands out is because it was the only major change to the flagship park of WDW and sort of introduced us to the new age of more immersive lands/experiences.

Minnesota disney fan

I agree with Harry Potter having the impact of forcing all of the Florida theme parks to up their games.
As for me, getting older (just turned 65) has had a defining impact on how I take my vacations in WDW. I stopped worrying about seeing everything in a park in one day, and now take the fastpasses as the "best" thing for that day. Being old does give perspective, and it helps you to relax and enjoy what experiences that occur for you each day. Some of my best moments in WDW has been interactions with Cast Members that made my day a positive enjoyment!! Disconnecting from the real world and escaping to the Disney bubble brings a lot of joy in so many ways! I will continue to vacation at WDW and look for different ways to relax and enjoy what Disney presents each trip.
My husband and I are 70 and 72. We visit WDW once a year, and love it. We look at WDW just like you do now. WE enjoy each days experiences, which are usually not related to rides. Being in the bubble and forgetting the outside world for a while is priceless. Age doesn't matter at WDW. We do what we always have done, all attractions included, but go more slowly and take it all in while at WDW.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I wrote that before I found out about the new 100 dollar premium to have your ticket availability last for 14 days.

Sometimes I hate being right.
For much of my Disney attending life Disney tickets never expired. Never. I didn't even like the 14 day thing and the extra charge for the no expiration date option when that appeared. I have one stack left of 7 day park hoppers with no expiration dates for my family. I think if they turned them into monetary value and were re-applied to the current ticket prices, one of us could go and enjoy MK from 10 AM-4:30 PM during the non-ticketed, ticketed event.

True story from when I was in high school (class of 88, Armwood). I left a ticket from EPCOT in my jeans pocket. It had been stamped on the day I had been in the themed recreational area (back then, things had actual themes. Hard to imagine I know). The ticket was washed with my jeans...Stamp was no longer there. In fact, much of the ticket was no longer legible. A few weekends later, I went with a few friends and the dude at the gate stamped the ticket again without a second thought. So, I guess you can blame all the recent ticket security, strict rules, and lack of transferability after one use on me.

Last edited:

The_Jobu

For much of my Disney attending life Disney tickets never expired. Never. I didn't even like the 14 day thing and the extra charge for the no expiration date option when that appeared. I have one stack left of 7 day park hoppers with no expiration dates for my family. I think if they turned them into monetary value and were re-applied to the current ticket prices, one of us could go and enjoy MK from 10 AM-4:30 PM during the non-ticketed, ticketed event.

True story from when I was in high school (class of 88, Armwood). I left a ticket from EPCOT in my jeans pocket. It had been stamped on the day I had been in the themed recreational area (back then, things had actual themes. Hard to imagine I know). The ticket was washed with my jeans...Stamp was no longer there. In fact, much of the ticket was no longer legible. A few weekends later, I went with a few friends and the dude at the gate stamped the ticket again without a second thought. So, I guess you can blame all the recent ticket security, strict rules, and lack of transferability after one use on me.

The new 14 day thing bothered me so much I actually took the time to send a polite email that will promptly be filed in their recycle bin.

I hardly ever do stuff like this but this new thing just pushed my button.

KBLovedDisney

Downtown turns into Springs...

Guy Fieri sells lots of chicken and other things...

The Quest leaves us for the great beyond

World of Disney Store, now a Bed Bath and Beyond

MickeyLuv'r

Upcharges, FP+, Universal often being the better option.
I also find I'm much more aware/stressed by all the ways the WDW's systems are unreliable.

While FP isn't all bad, it takes away spontaneity.

In the past, if we wanted to add a last minute park day, we'd add an extra WDW day.

Now, we go to Universal or maybe a natural (National/state) park instead.

I love that when we're at Universal, we can just eat whenever we get hungry, and we just go from ride to ride.

At WDW, We're always a little worried that we're going to get stuck on a ride or a monorail, through no fault of OURS, and be late, then get penalized for being late.

In the past, if a bus didn't show, or a monorail got stuck, or fog delayed a boat, or a ride got stuck, or a park ticket didn't scan properly, it was usually no big deal. Now though, there are major consequences if you miss your FP window or are deemed a no-show, so I find delays much more stressful.

VaderTron

- FastPass+. Yes, I know most of you hate it, but I love the new system. I especially enjoy snapping up really hard-to-get tickets by refreshing the app while waiting in lines—it’s a different kind of spontaneity, and one that suits me better.
This is a loophole that Disney is planning to close. In fact, there is talk that they will not allow you to book another FP for the same attraction twice in the same day (even after using all three of your initial allotment). How would that alter your view of FP+...would it?

LittleBuford

This is a loophole that Disney is planning to close. In fact, there is talk that they will not allow you to book another FP for the same attraction twice in the same day (even after using all three of your initial allotment). How would that alter your view of FP+...would it?

How is it a loophole? I’m referring to regular FastPasses that are made available throughout the day or when others change their plans. As for not being able to get a second FastPass for the same ride, do you have a link to the rumour you’re referring to?

TP2000

A severe lack of leadership and vision that resulted in billions of wasted dollars, embarrassing press about the significant rise of a close competitor and a scramble to raise prices ASAP to inflate revenue and stock value.

Can't say I disagree with you friend.

But this thread certainly has a different tone and tenor compared to the similar "Disneyland Decade In Review!" thread we have going over on the DL forum, huh? Seems to be all about pricing and corporate rules for the WDW thread. I'm forever fascinated how those two distinct cultures differ so much when they are basically the same product; Disney theme parks.

NickMaio

Rentable Tent space for Daily Operation in Tomorrowland. If those or the pay for backstage express bus did not sum up a change in the business model, I do not know what did.
Those tents really affirmed for me what WDW had become. Selling out corporate shills at the highest level - - making a few extra bucks at the expense of beautiful theming. I always knew there were special upsell things at WDW but those were a nasty slap in face that we all had to look at. I thought they destroyed tomorrowland while pandering to the kind of clientele that they were really after.
It was a sad moment for us.

MickeyLuv'r

For much of my Disney attending life Disney tickets never expired. Never. I didn't even like the 14 day thing and the extra charge for the no expiration date option when that appeared.

You know ticket expiration rules have gotten far more byzantine over the past year, right?

Now they expire inside of a much shorter time frame, and it depends on length of the ticket/how long you are staying on WDW property.

The new pricing rules are also very confusing.

I've kept up with WDW ticket pricing for roughly the past 20 years, and I have never seen anything so crazy. Plus, the website is super slow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom