What are those flashing lights on my video tape?

EnSkywalker

Original Poster
I have finally converted my Handycam tapes to VHS from my trip three weeks ago. I've noticed on a number of different dark rides have a flashing light that I don't remember seeing when not looking through the view finder. Now these aren't all the infrared beam to set of the magic moments pins since my wife was wearing one and it wasn't going off and it appears on several different sports during the same ride.

Also just to make things clear, I was not taping with the nightshot on.

And will the PotC get their message straight. Over the PA system, a CM very clearly stated "No videotaping or flash photography." When I finished the ride, I asked how long had it been since they hadn't allowed videotaping. The unloading CM's response was that only external video taping was not allowed.

Note to Disney: if you don't want a ride to be taped please post a sign, have an announcement prior to actually sitting down for the show or getting in the ride vehicle. Getting all set up and then have a CM tell you right before you take off "no videotaping" ala Dinosaur (CTX), R-n-R, ToT tends to spoil the moment.

All that being said I probably won't bring the camcorder next year after two trips and 10 hours of videotape.

NowInc

Hmmm..never seen anything like that before...then again I havnt gone on there with a camcorder in YEARS...

Do you recall what rides and specific spots this happened? It may just be a relection from a certain effect or something...

VashtheStampede

Do you have a large Camcorder? And does it use a viewfinder? If either one that's where your problem lies. If you can film and keep the camcorder away from your face it's all right. The only exception is if you get a real stick in the mud CM.

Also those flashing lights are the Fire alarms. A good place to see this is on TTA in Space mtn.

EnSkywalker

Original Poster
My camcorder fits in my hand and I was only using the viewfinder. The 2.5 inch screen was closed. I did see someone a number of boats ahead of me using flash photography but I wondered why one CM would say no external video lighting and the other no videotaping.

Thanks for the info. It was really bugging me seeing these white blinking lights that the camcorder saw but I never did.

orlpassholder

hmmm thats odd I have taped several rides including ones they say no taping on ie star tours. I cant see what the big deal is I mean come on like I have the money to recreate star tours and or Alien Encounter. I have video taped POTC before but it was like a year or so ago. As far as CM's saying something I have never had a CM say anything to me. The thing I cant stand is the people who use flash photography I never use a external light source etc I just use what ever lighting is there in the ride but I can tell you how many time in the HOP (Hall of Presidents) that some idiot has stood up and used flash photography during the presentation. Only thing I can think of is maybe they have had some people on POTC "stand" to get a better shot...

popkid

i've seen those same flickering lights on my tapes too... wondered what they were. thanks for the info vash

i'm knocking on wood now, but i've never had a cast member tell me to stop filming on any attraction, and i've filmed them all... even before i had a palm-sized camcorder...

orlpassholder

pop I am getting ready to start and film all the rides at all the parks. I did few test runs and like what I saw.. Now as far as flashing Lights in Star Tours that is suppose to be flashes I believe from The Tie Fighter Xwing fight plus ice cave crashes

popkid

the flashes aren't in star tours (or at least i didn't see them). the most noticable ones were in pirates of the caribbean and the haunted mansion. they're small little flashes of light which you can't see with your eyes, but your camera should pick them up no problem. just kinda off an in the distance

i figured they were just some sort of secturity device or something - but vash cleared it all up...

VashtheStampede

Filming on star tours, eh? You feel lucky punk? Joking! Don't worry!

The real reason why we don't let filming on star tours is safety, not because of licensing! We don't want anyone to be filming and all the sudden a good bump hits and the camera goes flying and hits some poor kid in the head! Don't laugh it has happened! We tend to let it slip if the person keeps the camera low (like in their lap). If they put the camera up, we will spiel into the cabin about no video taping on the ride. Also if they use an external light, we tell them to turn it off, because it ruins the ride.

Again though it all comes down to the CM, I know I have made many tapes of the rides before I was a CM. My own little rule is that so long has they aren't ruining the ride for other guests or posing a safety hazard, I let them go ahead and tape. BUT many CM's I work with just like to ruin the ride and spiel into the cabin! It really makes me mad!

-vash

orlpassholder

VashtheStampede LOL when I filmed star tours I was sitting so odd I couldnt move I had my feet jamed down hard into the seats in front of me that I couldnt move to much and I held onto the camera real tight I have a hand strap plus mine is a shoulder style camera ( ya I know old camera 10yrs+ but it works) one day I will have a newer one. Now filming Tower of Terror in the lap belt seat that was rough but turned out very well. and dont even ask how I pulled Test Track off LOL but that 65mph film look so sweet. :)

orlpassholder

yes the shot is stable (barring the jolts) But the film of R2 and the squad commanders does not come out to well. I am going to try and re-shoot Star Tours from the last row and dead middle seat so I can get the best possible shot. When I road it last week there was 9 people on it and I had the middle back seat wouldnt you know it the day i dont bring my camera LOL i was alittle Po'ed
But I am still wanting to see if COP opens back up I bring the ol' tripod to get a nice steady shot. So if your ever on Star Tours and the guy beside you is filming it could be me :)

Scooter

Did someone mention video-taping RockNRoller Coaster?
I don't think I'd even ATTEMPT to tape that.
That camera could get loose and KILL sombody or beat you to death..lol:p

orlpassholder

i have seen one recording it was ok pretty bad the entire thing was in dark and you couldnt make out anything except people screaming :) I think if you had one of the new cameras with night vision type ability which I know some do now it might look better just greenish :)

zonguy

I kind of got yelled at in the Universe of Energy. The CM specifically stated "no video tapeing or flash photography". I was using a digital still camera, and turned off the flash before the ride started. I was a bit peaved. If they do not want any photography the they should say so. the phrase "flash photography" is something completely different from regular photography.

NowInc

The CM may nto of realized you werent using flash...I mean...in tehir minds its easier to be safe than sorry...

popkid

Originally posted by orlpassholder
popkid just an FYI there is little strob lights that flash in the Star Tour cabins to simulate hits and blasts

yeah, i know those lights - i just meant there are no 'strange flickering' lights that turn up on video like the ones in pirates, or the mansion...

i have a super-wide angle lens on my camera so all you need to do is hold it and just point it in the right direction to capture just about everything.... i'll digitize some of the stuff this weekend if anyone would like to see some videos...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom