What are the smallest crowds you've experienced in WDW?

Hank Hill

For me it was the day before Irma hit in '17. I was sent home early to prepare, and took care of the house. It was still early and nice out so I suggested we go to HS. It was really quiet. But everyone was having a blast. Near the end of the day, they were handing out candy apples and popcorn for free since the parks would be closed the next day and they couldn't save them. Irma of course slowed down and the next day was pretty nice too. It hit late at night. I wished they had stayed open the next day too.

When AK used to close at 5, there would be occasional days they stayed open late. I loved going those nights as people would stream out at 5 no matter what. The park would feel so dead and EE at night is so cool. The safari and animal trails would close at 5, so that side of the park was as if you were almost the only people there. I loved walking over there. The gift stand by the drums were open, a few people at the bar outside Tusker House, but that would be it. I loved that.

I also once was the last group off BTMR and slowly walked out, I sat in a chair by the water for a few. Couldn't see anyone. They asked us to start walking up front so we did, but it was real quiet. I like those times.

Minnesota disney fan

Wow, the great memories on this thread:)
I didn't think I had been to WDW at slow times, but I looked back at some pictures of our l979 trip. We were in the MK and it was not crowded at all. People actually walked around slowly looking at things, taking their time, pointing things out to their children, etc. I also noticed there were hardly any strollers and no electric carts seen on my pictures. That was a strange sight too.
Thanks for the memories, OP>

BraveGirl

Back when E-ride nights was a thing. I believe it was during my 1998 trip, we were there for 11 days and my friend and I managed to squeeze in a few E-ride nights during that time. For an extra $12 we stayed in MK until 2am. I can't even believe that was a thing, given how expensive any extra ticketed events are now. We were young and had lots of energy, so we would stay until they kicked us out. I remember riding Buzz Lightyear SRS so many times in a row that our fingers were cramped, because we were in a serious competition trying to beat each other. Going on SM over and over until we felt sick. It was amazing. By 2am the park was empty, except for a few diehards like us. I miss those days!

wplong1

Premium Member
October 2003. We had one day, wife was in Orlando for a meeting and I was on the way to Tampa. We did Epcot. We had the entire place to ourselves. Walked directly onto and into everything in the park without breaking stride. It's the trip I keep wishing we could repeat crowd wise. No such luck. Did 2013 October trip for my son's 6th birthday (kids were on Fall Break), and it was very crowded. We did get to beta test the magic bands which was cool. February 2016 trip (non-Presidents Day) was the same, more crowded than had hoped. As is discussed on here all the time, the low crowd times seem to be a thing of the past and live on only in my dreams.....

Last edited:

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Perhaps some people needed to escape the recession and reality issues of losing their jobs and the foreclosure of their homes.

It didn't effect everyone.
Plus I'm sure most already had the trips booked and budgeted before it all crashed.
I booked in July of that year and there were slim pickings for value resorts at least.

JoMarch

About 11+ years ago - it was an early September trip, most rides were "walk on" and some rides were just stay on and ride again.... I specifically remember that for Splash Mountain and Test Track.

Rosanne

Commenting on the Illuminations thread about my strongest memories of ROE made me think back to some of the slowest times I've been in the parks. I'm wondering what others have experienced.

The slowest time I spent in the parks was definitely Christmas Week 2001. The country was still very much reeling from 9/11 and places like WDW (especially flying there) were feeling it. We were in WDW 12/21 through 12/27, and I vividly remember the entire trip feeling as if we were some of the only people in the parks. The "shoe bomber" incident happened while we were there, too, which didn't help matters, I'm sure.

In particular, I vividly remember Christmas Eve at Epcot. There was NO ONE there. I'm sure I'll never see this again (well, especially since it seems that Electric Umbrella is going away):

Our family of 5 was having a blast and enjoying the world. All of us were adults, with my twin brother and I having just turned 21 and my sister 25, so we were free to do whatever. We had just ridden SSE and it was about 11:45 so we headed to the Electric Umbrella for lunch.

We were the ONLY people in the Electric Umbrella. At noon. On Christmas Eve. It was honestly very spooky. That night, we found a bench right on the lagoon (I want to say we were around Japan but I can't remember exactly) a few minutes before Illuminations, and watched it feeling like we had the place to ourselves.

Since then, I remember being in WDW the day after Labor Day in, I believe, 2007 or 2008 (solo trip, before marriage or kids!). I remember walking by Peter Pan and it was a WALK ON. Never happened before (at least not since FP), and has never happened since. I remember seeing Lou Mongello heading into a meeting in Liberty Square (which I found interesting at the time), and saying, "Oh hey, Lou Mongello -- hey did you notice there's no line at Peter Pan?" An hour or two later, I saw him post on Twitter to get to MK and ride Peter Pan, since there was no line.

Random memory there 🤣
Slowest times for me is when kids go back to school. And we also go on Wednesdays as mid week people arent there for a long weekend (like Mon & Fri). I also heard day after hurricane hits are good and days when its 99 degrees here in FL.

rangerbob

I forget what year it was and can't find the date it was in the 90's I believe. There was a tropical system that went up the entire state of Florida. I was coming home from a boy scout training in TN and as soon as I hit the first plaza on the turnpike I stopped and looked at the forecast and called it at Disney. I think I was the only person in EPCOT that night. Everything was open and no waits. They even did Illuminations that night and it was excellent. I was drenched from head to toe but didn't care.

ppet

For me it was definitely when EMH ran for 3 hours and MK didn't close until 12 anyway. The hours between 1 and 3am saw the crowds just dwindle. By the last hour my family and I were just walking onto any ride. we rode BTMR last at 3am, when we walked from the park we didn't see anyone until we got to the buses.

graphite1326

We went in November after 9/11. I remember going on RnRoller Coaster and being the only ones on ride (first thing in the morning). We got to the end and they asked if we wanted to ride again. We walked thru the door and got on again. There was one other couple that got on with us. The crowds were low and wait times were very manageable.

JIMINYCR

Our first trips from 95 - 2013 we chose the months that were known to be low crowd times. We were able to take DS out of school with no adverse affects and our vacation times had to fit times when we could leave our business. We continually found the middle weeks in Sept, first 2 weeks of Dec, and early April or mid May to be wonderful. We always had under 25 minute waits in line. sometimes walk on within 10 minutes. The walkways, sidewalks were easily travelled and although the prime spots for castle shows and fireworks were taken early, we had no obstructed views. Our last several trips have been when we noticed the crowds really started to biuld to the point where they began to annoy us and affect our pleasure.

Leo!

During my first trip, November 2007. Ghost town compared to today's crowds.

Recent years... July 2017. Expected heavy crowds but it was surprisingly empty. Crowd patterns have changed recently.

Yert3

Just recently with Dorian. I had a friend visiting. I told her about it, but she flew in anyway because she “wasn‘t going to let a hurricane ruin this vacation.“ Well it paid off because nearly every ride was a walk on and we had great weather.

PixarPerfect

Private parties. I've been to two where MK was open at night for maybe a few hundred of us? All of the rides were walk-ons / empty which was simultaneously surreal and decadent. As in, we'd walk up the queue and the ride would be waiting for us each time. Every ride. Several food carts and QS stops around the park were open as well for walk-up, no pay food and beverages. Loved every minute.

Dr. Ludwig von Drake

December 16 - 21, 2002 was very quiet. We could ride attractions multiple times without having to get off. For example, on Big Thunder, we would get to the end and ask "go again?" We'd get a thumbs up, 4 or 5 people would jump on, and off we would go. My youngest was 6 months old at the time. She fell asleep in my arms on Small World, I think I went around 3 times before I finally got out. Every attraction was a walk-on. Characters were all over the place. They made it a point to seek out guests and interact with them. Epcot was deserted, too.

This was pretty much the case in March and December of 2003, also.

I and my three oldest kids went to Disneyland in May 19 - 24, 2016, when I was in the area for work. Disneyland was crazy (human traffic jam near Pirates), but DCA was a ghost town. You could walk on to Screamin' with no wait over and over until you got nauseous.

My most recent WDW trip was in May 2019. Much, much busier as you would expect. We are veterans when it comes to fastpasses and MDE, so we still didn't wait long for rides (5 minutes), but you don't ride BTMM 10 times in one day, that's for sure.

We won't be going again for a few years*. We're FL residents and usually have the APs, but we decided we will wait for all the construction to end. I imagine it will be very busy when we finally go back.

* We all made this decision this summer, but already the kids are starting to ask when we will be heading back. Sigh.

Lilofan

When Hollywood Studios had Spectacle of Dancing Lights at the very end of the night when just a few guests left and us around Streets of America, lights dancing, snow falling from the rooftops, the song " Feliz Navidad... ", then the Disney staff comes through to remind us the park is closing😕..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom