Pre-Trip What Am I Getting Myself Into...

Hello everybody!! My name is Kelli, and I have been a long time "behind the scenes" follower of the WDWMagic boards. In all honesty, I didn't even know the "Trip Reports" thread existed until after my most recent trip (throwing it way back to November 2013) when I was going through serious Disney withdrawals!

So now, almost 4 years and 2 kids later, we are going back!! I can't even contain my excitement! My husband (Tim) was pretty much getting so sick of me talking about all my make believe plans that he told me to just book it! He's the best! (But seriously, he shouldn't have made me wait 4 years) ;)

Getting down to the details:
I literally got butterflies and couldn't stop smiling when this popped up on my computer
MM.PNG

I mean, seriously, who doesn't love seeing the main mouse himself!

The Who:
Me (Kelli) & my husband (Tim)
IMG_0498.jpg

Circa 2013 at Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights (why, oh why did they have to get rid of this!? :bawling:)
And our sons SJ (will almost be 3)
IMG_2873.JPG

and H (will have just turned 1)
IMG_2866.JPG

Gotta sport the Mickey gear in our house!

The When/Where:
January 8-13, 2018 @ Disney's Pop Century Resort

The Why:
Let's get real, who really needs a "why" to go to Disney...I sure don't!! But, one of the main reasons we decided to take this trip is because kiddos are free until they are 3, and we had to take advantage of that!

So much has changed since the last time we were there (only part of the New Fantasyland was done), and I can't wait to see it completed. I also can't wait to try all the things my Disney friends (AKA - you guys!) have seen and tried that I missed all those years.

But, most importantly, it is all about the memories. I cannot wait to see the look on those sweet faces when they see the castle or Mickey Mouse for the first time. I'm not normally a sap, but those cast members on Main Street USA better have their mop and bucket ready, because I am pretty sure I may turn into an emotional wreck. :cry:

So, to all my WDWMagic friends out there, I am looking for any and all advice that you can give me when it comes to going with kids (hence the title of the PTR). I feel like my hubby and I (ok, maybe just me) are crazy for bringing them this young, but I know people do it, and I know it will be worth it. What do you suggest for dining/stroller rental/shows/rides/etc.?

Thank you again for the help! And thank you for allowing me to live vicariously through your trip reports over the years. I'm hoping that I can return the favor in the future! :)

LAinSFLA

So much fun. As a Florida resident, January is the best time to go. With that said, prepare for hot/cold. We have been up there during the same time and started the day at a sunny 68 and ended it on splash mountain at 1am at 34. Baby stations are a must and have a microwave for warming little meals up. Our little one was on a kick of frozen pancakes and frozen Elmo pasta. We took it in with us and used the microwaves in the stations to eat. Kept her full and happy, and we didn’t really need a cooler as it would just defrost in the few hours.

The good thing about eating in the bubble, is it is all pretty kid friendly. We sat at the bar at Big river on the boardwalk and no one judged. She slept in the tequila cave, and all the grandmas loved it. It is just nice to know that you can still be an adult and have fun with kids. Our 2 year old likes doing the kids cot in the world showcase. It is basically just her coloring, but she now knows what it is and gets a little kick out of it. We found it easier to eat at sit downs (garden grill, coral cafe) easier than buffets. Personal perferance as it seemed like one of us was always getting up for food for someone. Askerus House was great for breakfast as we ate then saw Anna/Elasa and then did frozen all right at 9am.

Since you changed your flight, see if there is a better room package. There might be a better deal coming up. Our friends started out at POR and ended up at Poly concierge all because they had a really travel agent that kept checking. I think it cost them an extra $85 for the upgrade. Well worth it.

Have fun and enjoy your trip.

12in12

The Halloween costumes were adorable, you should take those with you to Disney to dress them up in the parks.:)
That will also help me to spot you in the crowds as our trips overlap by a few days.

amjt660

Premium Member
I am too far past the point of taking young ones to Disney (mine are 22 and 20 now & we waited till they were 5 & 6 for the first trip)

However I know cute when I see it and your boys are incredibly super hero cute!!!
(get it - super hero - incredibles - come on guys this stuff writes itself)

We did one trip at the end of January in 2003 - I agree with the volatile weather making for extra packing of both warm and cold weather clothing

Best advice is to plan light - do not overload any given day - low expectations will help avoid frustration if the boys are over stimulated and need to leave the parks earlier than you had hoped for.

Following along

Max

MeeskaMooska0714

Original Poster
Our countdown is less than 50 days!! Where has the time gone?! We have been busy with family pictures, birthdays (H's first :cry: and mine), Thanksgiving, Christmas shopping / decorating, home renovations, and....

Fastpasses!!! I'm keeping things flexible because of the kiddos, but I wanted to make sure that I got FOP! It isn't until our last day, so I'm hoping I can score one on our first AK day earlier in the week. Also got SDMT, Peter Pan's Flight (is this FP even necessary?), Soarin', and TTMM, among some others.

I also scored a BOG lunch reservation! WOOT WOOT! :D

Now I'm getting worried about my wardrobe (first world problems, I know)! I have a confession...I only own 1 Disney shirt (not counting pajamas)! Where are your favorites places to shop for clothes to wear to WDW? My hubby even owns at least 4-5 shirts! :facepalm:

The kids are set though! If you have little ones, check out Kohl's! They have a ton of cute Disney clothes (not just Mickey / Minnie) in their Jumping Bean brand. Both of our boys are getting lots for Christmas!

Thank you again to everyone for following and giving me expert advice!

I leave you with a few pics from H's birthday party :)
IMG_3402.JPG
IMG_3414.JPG
IMG_7485.jpg

riverside

Premium Member
Our countdown is less than 50 days!! Where has the time gone?! We have been busy with family pictures, birthdays (H's first :cry: and mine), Thanksgiving, Christmas shopping / decorating, home renovations, and....

Fastpasses!!! I'm keeping things flexible because of the kiddos, but I wanted to make sure that I got FOP! It isn't until our last day, so I'm hoping I can score one on our first AK day earlier in the week. Also got SDMT, Peter Pan's Flight (is this FP even necessary?), Soarin', and TTMM, among some others.

Now I'm getting worried about my wardrobe (first world problems, I know)! I have a confession...I only own 1 Disney shirt (not counting pajamas)! Where are your favorites places to shop for clothes to wear to WDW? My hubby even owns at least 4-5 shirts! :facepalm:

The kids are set though! If you have little ones, check out Kohl's! They have a ton of cute Disney clothes (not just Mickey / Minnie) in their Jumping Bean brand. Both of our boys are getting lots for Christmas!

View attachment 246743 View attachment 246744 View attachment 246745
Your children are adorable!! That picture of H--I can't really put it into words--so darn cute!!!

krisri18

Check the juniors' department at Kohls, you'd be amazed what you can find! Just go a size up than you would normally wear, small for juniors is really small! I've gotten a few tops there. And I like to order from RedBubble.com or TeePublic.com too, the designs people come up with are always great!

P.S. H's first birthday photos are absolutely adorable!

MeeskaMooska0714

Original Poster
OMG! How are we down to less than 30 days!? Time has flown, and I feel like with Christmas a life in general I am so behind on trip planning and packing. I still need to reserve stroller rental (not getting one from Disney from the things that I have read). Has anyone tried Amazon Prime for grocery delivery (or don't they have a new one that is same day in the Orlando area)? Looking for suggestions on this!

Also, I need to make a mental note of who to keep on the lookout for? So far I have @riverside and @RedNoseMickey. And I think @prfctlyximprct??

riverside

Premium Member
OMG! How are we down to less than 30 days!? Time has flown, and I feel like with Christmas a life in general I am so behind on trip planning and packing. I still need to reserve stroller rental (not getting one from Disney from the things that I have read). Has anyone tried Amazon Prime for grocery delivery (or don't they have a new one that is same day in the Orlando area)? Looking for suggestions on this!

Also, I need to make a mental note of who to keep on the lookout for? So far I have @riverside and @RedNoseMickey. And I think @prfctlyximprct??
Our magic bands arrived the other day!! I'll be there the 14th-19th.:)

Also, my sister has used Garden Grocer before. I believe you get a discount if you order in advance. She was very happy with it!!

Last edited:

prfctlyximprct

Yes lookout for me!! I’ll be bopping along big my rose gold ears LOL!!

I cannot believe we are so close! I haven’t had a moment to breath let alone stare at my countdown. This is the first trip where I actually have to check an app to see how many days... it will be here so soon!! I guess I’ll SEE YA REAL SOON :) ;)

riverside

Premium Member
Yes lookout for me!! I’ll be bopping along big my rose gold ears LOL!!

I cannot believe we are so close! I haven’t had a moment to breath let alone stare at my countdown. This is the first trip where I actually have to check an app to see how many days... it will be here so soon!! I guess I’ll SEE YA REAL SOON :) ;)
I unfortunately may have to say hello to you at the airport. You’ll be coming as I’m going...

krisri18

Amazon Prime Now is great! Super easy, its delivered to your resort in 2 hours, or you can pick a window of time. It goes to Bell Services (you'll get a text or email or call when its delivered) and you can just call Bell Services to have it brought to your room. You have to place your order through the Prime Now app, but you can fill your cart on your desktop first. Once your on Magical Express, just finish up and voila! Super easy and convenient!

MeeskaMooska0714

Original Poster
Amazon Prime Now is great! Super easy, its delivered to your resort in 2 hours, or you can pick a window of time. It goes to Bell Services (you'll get a text or email or call when its delivered) and you can just call Bell Services to have it brought to your room. You have to place your order through the Prime Now app, but you can fill your cart on your desktop first. Once your on Magical Express, just finish up and voila! Super easy and convenient!
Thank you for this!!

MegRuss626

View attachment 246743 View attachment 246744 View attachment 246745

So I’m a little late to reply but Kohl’s, Target, and Walmart all have Disney stuff. Some of the best items in my Disney wardrobe have come from Hot Topic of all places! I’m kind of the opposite...I usually need to change my shirt twice a day and I still don’t wear all the Disney stuff I pack!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom