What’s Missing from Disneyland

shambolicdefending

I'll provide an initial cynical take...

"...Around the Seasons" was a marketing production. Of course the company went out of their way to make everything look as clean and vibrant as possible in the final cut. Just like today's DLR PR/Marketing folks could (and ocassionally do) make one heck of a promo video that makes everything look as shiny and exciting as anybody could imagine.

The "golden age" fallacy is a very real thing when it comes to Disney fans.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
For me its missing CM's that treat it as a role.
In that way it feels like a local amusement park where staff is goofing around.
I saw it much more at DL than I ever have at WDW.

Its also missing well maintained attractions.
I should not have to ride Space Mountain by myself because the couple getting off the ride got off too slow so as my friend started to get in the gate closed on me pushing me back and them saying it had to stay on sequence or the whole ride would be shut down for an hour.
I encountered rides being shut down and reset pretty much ever time I walked into a line. Snow White, Mr Toad, Pinocchio, Roger Rabbit etc.

Those are the 2 main things I think DLR lacks which makes me compare it to a local dumpy amusement park instead of comparing it to another Disney park.

PiratesMansion

The marketing point is well-taken. Even when that documentary was filmed it is highly unlikely that that was a true representation of the average day at Disneyland. Disney has always been very careful and deliberate with how their parks are marketed and shown to the public, even in the "golden age."

What's missing from Disneyland? Aside from the aforementioned live entertainment that has fallen victim to budget cuts, I would say a compelling Tom Sawyer Island. Swiss Family Treehouse. Country Bear Jamboree (original show). Perhaps even Carousel of Progress. A Peoplemover. An Indiana Jones ride that functions consistently. A Tomorrowland that isn't an embarrassment. A functioning Night Parade that isn't an embarrassing relic. A second park that consistently improves.

Just off the top of my head.

Phroobar

The marketing point is well-taken. Even when that documentary was filmed it is highly unlikely that that was a true representation of the average day at Disneyland. Disney has always been very careful and deliberate with how their parks are marketed and shown to the public, even in the "golden age."

What's missing from Disneyland? Aside from the aforementioned live entertainment that has fallen victim to budget cuts, I would say a compelling Tom Sawyer Island. Swiss Family Treehouse. Country Bear Jamboree (original show). Perhaps even Carousel of Progress. A Peoplemover. An Indiana Jones ride that functions consistently. A Tomorrowland that isn't an embarrassment. A functioning Night Parade that isn't an embarrassing relic. A second park that consistently improves.

Just off the top of my head.
I agree. It needs more live entertainment. They need rock bands playing weekends at Tomorrowland Terrace. There needs to be daily show in the Fantasyland Theater. While the Tiki Room is fun, it would be nice to have another full AA sit down show. They need to bring back Paint the Night and remove all Star Wars (except Star Tours ;) ) from Tomorrowland. Give us a non-overlay version of Space Mountain that uses projections and lights the asteroid!

Californian Elitist

I should not have to ride Space Mountain by myself because the couple getting off the ride got off too slow so as my friend started to get in the gate closed on me pushing me back and them saying it had to stay on sequence or the whole ride would be shut down for an hour.
I encountered rides being shut down and reset pretty much ever time I walked into a line. Snow White, Mr Toad, Pinocchio, Roger Rabbit etc.

Those are the 2 main things I think DLR lacks which makes me compare it to a local dumpy amusement park instead of comparing it to another Disney park.

I’m curious as to what “local dumpy amusement park” or parks you’re comparing Disneyland to. Names?

I agree that Splash is a mess, but a ride could go down for a number of reasons. If a ride goes down, it doesn’t automatically mean it’s a maintenance issue. I once had to temporarily shut down Snow because someone dropped their purse and I had to retrieve it.

Regarding CMs, DL employees aren’t trained to behave like WDW ones behave. Anyone expecting WDW elements at the DLR will be sorely disappointed. The aura is completely different.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I’m curious as to what “local dumpy amusement park” or parks you’re comparing Disneyland to. Names?

I agree that Splash is a mess, but a ride could go down for a number of reasons. If a ride goes down, it doesn’t automatically mean it’s a maintenance issue. I once had to temporarily shut down Snow because someone dropped their purse and I had to retrieve it.

Regarding CMs, DL employees aren’t trained to behave like WDW ones behave. Anyone expecting WDW elements at the DLR will be sorely disappointed. The aura is completely different.

Six Flags Darien Lake and Martin's Fantasy Island.

I said SPACE.

Ok so CM's are trained differently. I prefer WDW CM's.

Its clear that you were or are currently a CM so I think you're taking it a bit too personal.

It was an opinion based question. Don't like it? Ok we agree to disagree.

Californian Elitist

Six Flags Darien Lake and Martin's Fantasy Island.

I said SPACE.

Ok so CM's are trained differently. I prefer WDW CM's.

Its clear that you were or are currently a CM so I think you're taking it a bit too personal.

It was an opinion based question. Don't like it? Ok we agree to disagree.

I’m not taking anything personal. I simply responded to you.

I couldn’t care less what you prefer, like, don’t like, etc. You made some statements and I responded, simple as that.

My point still stands. SPACE or SPLASH, downtime doesn’t automatically mean it’s a maintenance issue. That’s a fact, not an opinion.

The Six Flags comparison is ludicrous.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru

I went to Kings Dominion last summer and encountered ride attendants that not only took their role seriously, but made it enjoyable while standing in the queue. Some gave high fives as people were getting on rides. I'd prefer if staff weren't bump on a log and made the long lines pleasant.

180º

Whoa. If anything, a ride cascading due to guests being too slow to load/unload is a sign of a properly maintained attraction. That’s a safety measure. A way to solve frequent cascades is through design improvements. For Space Mountain, a dual loading area or extending the station track to fit more parking spots for the rockets would help. Unfortunately, there’s no room.

Phroobar

Whoa. If anything, a ride cascading due to guests being too slow to load/unload is a sign of a properly maintained attraction. That’s a safety measure. A way to solve frequent cascades is through design improvements. For Space Mountain, a dual loading area or extending the station track to fit more parking spots for the rockets would help. Unfortunately, there’s no room.
I always thought Space Mountain and BTMRR loaded extremely quickly compared to every other roller coaster in the world.

Sharon&Susan

Tomorrowland has been missing a soul, it’s instead become an uncohesive mess with a mix of Pixar, Star Wars, Jules Verne’s and 1950’s styled architecture, and what remains from Tomorrowland ‘67.
And the lack of anything on the PM track really makes Disneyland’s Tomorrowland feel incomplete and lacking.

Last edited:

Sharon&Susan

It's shameful how the well known Hanna Barbera Disney character, Magilla Gorilla hasn't had an appearance in the stateside parks since the Flights of Fantasy parade.

Animaniac93-98

They need to bring back the Skyway.

If the whole Project Starbucks thing was about different ways of moving crowds around, then WED already had a solution running for about 40 years before they got rid of it:

1574735560968.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom