Westward Ho! (But first some questions...)

bubbles1812

Original Poster
Ok all you Disneyland experts, I haven't been here in a while, but now I need help planning a Disneyland trip! It's because of some wacky circumstances... So a wee bit of background first. I'm a medical student who has to take my Boards Step 2 (Sounds fun right? o_O). There are two parts to Step 2, one is a knowledge exam that you can take in any ol' testing center in the country (Woooooo hoo! Passed that sucker last month) and one is a skills test. There are only 5 testing sites in the US. I live in the midwest so Chicago would be my site... if it hadn't been full for the dates I would have been able to take it. So then my choices were Houston (no desire to visit), Philly (already been there), Atlanta (eh could be cool), and LA (wait isn't Disneyland also there?). My kind parents said hey! you have a week off so maybe it's time for a vacation... So it's off to LA from Monday June 23 to Saturday June 28 for my mother and I. (Hoping this becomes a yearly thing as we went to WDW last year together :))

So. Our very preliminary plan is that we will arrive in LA on the 23rd and will be staying at a hotel near the testing center. I take my test the 24th (8 to 5! Gah!) , and then that night we will be taking a shuttle of some kind to Anaheim, and checking into a hotel close to DL. Will be going into a park that night for a meal and to catch a show., no real expectations for riding rides or anything like that. We'll be there through the 28th and will be taking a late flight out that night, so chances are we'll get some park time that day. All that to say, we're going to most likely get a 5 day ticket. And now some questions... (Please take pity on a WDW expert but a DL newbie and answer them. :inlove:)

1. Good neighbor hotel vacation packages through the DL site... worth it? Or should we just book a GN hotel and buy tickets separately?

2. Any recs on Good Neighbor Hotels? Or should we avoid those all together and just book any old hotel around there? If so, recommendations on those?

3. When should I buy tickets? (Assuming we don't go with a vacation package). Is it ok to just purchase when we get there or should we do that in advance? I've seen many times that people don't think Park Hoppers are worth it... My family has always gotten Hoppers at WDW so it's a bit of a thought to wrap my head around that we may not need it. Thoughts? And do you get one magic morning admission only if you are staying in a GN hotel or does it not matter as long as you purchase at least a 3 day pass from the box office? Was a bit confused on that while exploring the site.

4. WOC meal package or Fantasmic dessert package... worth it? Basically here I'm just looking for a restaurant recommendation for that first night, and which to see WOC or Fantasmic? I'm not picky. I'll end up seeing both. But if you have a favorite, tell me why! Or which you'd think you'd want to see first from the perspective of a first time visitor.

5. I recognize that DL probably has no real off season anymore same as WDW, but could someone least give some sort of estimate as to the crowds I'm going to encounter in June, since by then it will be in the summer season. (Gosh darn all those kids getting off school :mad:;)). How bad does it really get at DL? Are APs likely blocked during those dates? I'm ok with crowds, but still, I like knowing what I'm going to be up against. At least we'll be there on mostly weekdays except for the 28th.

Help me WDWmagic members, you're my only hope! :cool:

Last edited:

GiveMeTheMusic

Don't do the packages through Disney. You're better off finding a good rate on your own, and yes, you get a Magic Morning as long as you select a ticket that includes it. Buy your tickets online or at your hotel - lines at park ticket booths can be horrific, and you don't want to spend your first hour at DLR waiting in line for something you could have taken care of at home.

Fantasmic dessert package is ONLY worth it if you cannot IMAGINE standing for the show and just HAVE to have a reserved seat. It's not the best vantage point, the desserts aren't amazing and the price is overinflated. You gotta really want it. I always recommend skipping the Fantasmic package.

WOC dining packages are popular, especially if you were already planning on eating at Carthay or Trattoria. I don't find either restaurant to be particularly recommendable. Carthay has a great lounge downstairs, but the food is overpriced, portions are small and service ranges from borderline to atrocious. The dead center viewing area for WOC is nice, but not necessary. A dining package gives you more elbow room in the viewing area than the standard Fastpass viewing area, and you don't risk being on the sides.

The parks will be crowded, ranging from moderately to very, depending on the day (and time of day). Fridays, for example, start off nice but by 5pm, will be packed as APs pour in after work. Only the lowest tier of AP will be blocked out during your trip, with the second lowest tier starting block outs on the 27th, so you'll still have the Deluxe and Premium crowd. Plan on doing DCA at least once at park opening for RSR.

Take full advantage of the extended summer hours - the last two hours of operation for DL are the best time to hit lots of rides, even on crowded days. Mad T Party at DCA is a great way to spend some time on an evening as well.

Vipraa

I'll try my best here but some of these are just my opinions

1) Can't Answer this from experience but unless you are getting some sort of discount then I would buy them separately just to give you a little more freedom.

2) Definitely look into the good neighbor hotels on Harbor Blvd across from Disneyland like Carousel Inn & Suites and the Howard Johnson Hotel. Less then 10 min walk to the front gates and always here nothing but good things about them.

3) 1st of all go with a Park Hopper!!!! It is 1000x more worth it here then at WDW because the parks are so close. Magic Mornings you get 1 when you purchase a 3 or more day pass no matter what or if you stay at a Disneyland hotel you get into them for free, use it wisely. You can buy tickets when ever it suits you best. Most good neighbor hotels sell them at the front desk or you can show up early to brave the crowds or you can just buy them online.

4) WOC meal package has its own section to watch World of Color dead center of the viewing area with no seating. If you haven't seen the show before it is definitely worth it because you get a great meal and the good viewing spots. Fantasmic Dessert package is less worth it in my eyes. It has seating but the desserts are just an extra expense imo and you can get a better view of the show anyways if you just wait until the second showing which is much less crowded.

5) Some APs are blocked that week but the majority are not and crowd calenders have the attendance predicted at 9 out of 10 overall. DL is around 7-8 out of 10 and DCA is 9-10 out of 10. These are only predictions but are generally pretty accurate.

Any other question just ask and I or someone will answer. Have fun on your trip and good luck on your skills test. ;)

Californian Elitist

What @GiveMeTheMusic said haha. In regards to hotels, don't stay onsite, stay offsite. I'm a local, but I have stayed at the Best Western Park Place before. It's directly across the street, it's cheap, it's nice and it offers free continental breakfast.

You can see the Monorail and Matterhorn in the photo below. It's that close to the park.

slider-img-1054x568.jpg

gboiler1

The best deal I found in park tickets come from arestravel, endorsed by Mousesavers.com. $260 for a 3 day hopper + 1 free day and they offer a 4 day + 1 too. I don't recall the price but something like $285 or so per ticket.
I wouldn't wait too long to get tickets because you never know when the next price hike will come.
You'll soooo love Disneyland, I'm sure you'll put it on your list to go back and good luck on your test!

BubbaQuest

What everyone else said! :)

I think DLR Good Neighbor just means you can book the tickets and hotel together via Disney travel. You'll be better off calling the hotel directly or using your favorite travel website. Keep in mind most hotels around DL charge for parking if you decide to rent a car.

Try to get your tickets in advance. I'm always surprised to see people are waiting in line to buy tickets at 8pm. I'd recommend park hoppers. First thing in the morning or during WOC are the best times to try to ride Radiator Springs. It's always nice to have this option even if you plan on spending the rest of the day in DL.

I wish I could recommend the Fantasmic dessert package. It's very relaxing to not have to worry about finding a place to watch the show, but as others have mentioned the package seating location is not great. Usually the second show is much more manageable than the first.

I would recommend the WOC dinning package. Ariel's Grotto and the Trattoria offer a fixed menu for the dinner package. I would recommend Ariel's for those two. Carthay Circle keeps changing. Sometimes its a fixed menu, sometime you just have to order one-of-each from the regular menu. Be sure to ask about the options when making the reservation, especially if people have food restrictions. Carthay Circle has the best atmosphere and I would recommend checking it out, but I wasn't that impressed with the food or service.

Have a great time!! BTMRR is open again (finally!) and running smoother than ever.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom