Western Way Extension

Gatorboy

Golf course would make sense. It's about the right amount of space, and the pedestrian path under the road would be suitable for connecting two parts of it. Most of the land is considered marginally suitable for construction so it would be well suited to a golf course, and there are some suitable areas that could be used for the buildings needed to support a course.
I think golf course are pretty much saturated at this point, plus they're extremely expensive to maintain. Maybe Disney is thinking of expanding the original concept of a budget "Downtown Disney" with third party budget hotels, along with CM housing in the expanded space. This would create a cheaper area that CM's could afford shopping and entertainment along with budget minded families and justify the retail area.

skelm

I know this is a long dormant thread, but I figured I would ask here instead of in a new thread.

Does anyone know when the Western Way extension will actually open? I live about a mile away from it on Avalon road and it is complete. Full blacktop, lines painted, street lights up, intersection to Avalon Rd rebuilt.

Monorail_Red_77

Google Earth shows some nice updates as of January 3, 2018. Currently once you go west past HWY 429 Western Way turns into Reedy Creek Rd. Not sure if it will retain this once it connect to Avalon Rd.

Also kind of interesting that the property along the extension is not all just Reedy Creek Improv Disct. Some of it is labeled as Walt Disney Parks and Resorts US Inc. I wonder what their plans are for this area beyond Flamingo Crossing and College Program Dorms.

Also another Hess/Speedway gas Station

skelm

Google Earth shows some nice updates as of January 3, 2018. Currently once you go west past HWY 429 Western Way turns into Reedy Creek Rd. Not sure if it will retain this once it connect to Avalon Rd.

It definitely stays as Western Way all the way to Avalon Rd. There are signs on Avalon Rd indicating that it's Western Way connected there.

Also another Hess/Speedway gas Station

This is not a bad thing for those of us that live here.

Monorail_Red_77

To follow up.. Here is the sign off Avalon Rd. It is definitely still Western Way all the way to Avalon.

View attachment 351163
I think this is where the confusion lies. On Google Earth going back to 1995 the area was orange groves pre-429 construction. in 2010 the main roads of Flamingo Crossings were created and tied into Western Way and 429. According to Google Earth Reedy Creek Rd never existed and still does not. Yet, the property appraisers site clearly shows it. Basically it was just the small portion of Western Way to the west of 429 within the interchange ramp area. I'm gonna chalk it up to an error on the Prop Appraiser site. Maybe at one point they were going to make some sort of backstage access road to this area pre-Flamingo Crossing and it never came to be but the property records were not updated.

skelm

I can confirm, it is open!

I know this probably not very exciting except for those of us that live on Avalon Rd, but it is open all the way down to Flamingo Crossing. My daughter has her learners permit, so I made her drive me on it as one of the first few people to drive on that road. It is smooth and fast. There are a few turn offs on it that go to nowhere that I guess will be future development!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I can confirm, it is open!

I know this probably not very exciting except for those of us that live on Avalon Rd, but it is open all the way down to Flamingo Crossing. My daughter has her learners permit, so I made her drive me on it as one of the first few people to drive on that road. It is smooth and fast. There are a few turn offs on it that go to nowhere that I guess will be future development!

Yeah, the left turn lanes to nowhere are interesting. All three are in areas that are considerable suitable for construction. The did not build the proposed pedestrian underpass that was shown in the original plans.

ryguy

I don't think Disney would ever add another golf course, they would however get rid of another one. Palm or Magnolia I am looking at you. That land is way too valuable. Magnolia was in horrid shape the last time I played it. To be fair to Disney they don't run it anymore Arnold Palmer does but needless to say it's a shame they have let it go.

deeevo

My guess is an Outback, Chili's, Wawa, Applebee's, McDonald's a couple more hotels and a Target. Oh.... and a Starbucks

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom