Trip Report We're With the Band (and the Orchestra)

Well it's been just over a week since the Brifraz team got back from WDW. And... it's just over a week until we are back again.

Yup, two trips in just under a month. You might ask yourself, "How is this possible?" (no, really, ask yourself...right now!) Well the trip we are about to take is a little bit different from our usual. If you've been along on any of my previous trip reports, you know that we are a team of 3 that's attacks the parks in a pretty commando fashion with lots of early mornings and late nights and FP+ jockeying. Not so this time. On this trip, we will be heading to the world with 140 of our closest friends. Okay, maybe not closest friends - I'm a high school music teacher and next Thursday, I will be embarking on a trip to Disney with 99 students from my school, 3 students from other schools (including my daughter), 10 chaperones, 2 county school employees (including @MeffysMom), 2 recent alumni, and 26 family members. It's going to be a VERY different adventure for us.

Either tonight or later this week, I'll be back with our plans for the trip, but right now I'd like to ask a question of you, intrepid reader. If you have ever been as part of a school trip or been a teacher who took a school group, what are the big positives/negatives you experienced and do you have any great advice? Please don't offer "plan a dinner for the group" or things like that - our plans have been in place for many months and really aren't adjustable at this point. But little ideas or things that gave you great memories are certainly welcome! Thanks in advance and I'll be back soon with our plans.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Okay! We've been back for just over 3 days now and I'm finally feeling back to 'normal.' Which means I'm ready to get going on this trip report for real. As mentioned in the past few posts, it was a pretty exhausting trip. Keeping over 100 high school aged kids in line and doing the right things can be a bit tiring. So, in the interest of helping those who might plan something like this in the future and maybe even my future self if I consider another trip of this kind.

So, we left northern Maryland around 4pm on Thursday afternoon. The plan was to get about 3 hours behind us and stop for dinner somewhere in Northern Virginia. To our great benefit, the traffic was somewhat light around Washington DC, so we made it almost to Richmond by 7pm. Found an exit with a number of food options and gave the kids their $10 per diem and 45 minutes to get some dinner. Our choice was Panera and we greatly benefitted from mobile ordering online. While some of the kids (and parents, too) were still waiting we got our food pretty quickly - even though we were the last to get into the restaurant.

After the dinner break, we got back on the road (of course, I95) and went another 3 hours before making a quick stop at a rest area. And then another 3 hour chunk before picking up new drivers in South Carolina. Once again, back on the road we had one last pit stop around 5:30am at the Florida Welcome Center. Sadly, a bit too early to get the free OJ! At this point (and while I could complain about it many times) I will just mention the anarchy of medications for a large group of high schoolers. Our district requires that all medications be approved individually by a doctor (including over the counter meds like ibuprofen) and that each student have their own personal medications. So, for the trip I had a large crate with about 150 different bottles of medications, each with their own forms, and each morning, afternoon, and evening I had a lineup of kids to whom I would distribute medications. Not too tough in the hotel, but during the bus ride and at rest areas and fast food restaurants it's a bit chaotic. But enough of that complaining!

Around 8:30am we got to a place in the Disney Area called the HUB. it's actually in the Clarion hotel just across from the Lake Buena Vista hotel area. They have a number of rooms set up for all our travelers to wash up, get changed, and feel better after the long bus ride. Then they have one of the banquet halls of the hotel reserved for the group to have breakfast. Since many school groups drive overnight to get to Disney it seems like a pretty darn good idea and they did a pretty good job as well. If you happen to be in this situation, I highly recommend a stop at the HUB.

This meant that we arrived at Hollywood Studios at a little before 11am. Here's the view from @MeffysMom's bus for pretty much the whole drive down.
IMG_7241.jpg

Of course, arrival at the park meant that we had to distribute actual park tickets (students had been given their ticket number earlier to set up MDE) and meal tickets (we had Disney Dining cards for $20 per meal for all the kids). Once everyone was all set, it was time to head in!

IMG_7243.jpg

As I'm sure you already know, there is no way that it could have been that easy! Although, I was pretty surprised that we only had 4 real issues. A couple were just kids who mistaken assigned their ticket to someone in their 'friends and family' on MDE and a couple were the result of parents assigning the ticket and then the kid setting up their own account. After about 30 minutes, we had everything resolved and everyone was into the parks and having a good time.

Our first stop was some relaxed exploring in Galaxy's Edge - talking to some of the 'locals' and exploring some of the nooks and crannies of the land. We happened upon one of the new 360 degree Photopass spots and got a picture taken.
IMG_7246.JPG

We had a FP+ for Toy Story Mania at 12:30pm, so we meandered our way over to TSL and enjoyed a ride. Continuing our slow touring, we headed over to launch bay and looked at some of the new items on display and then used the Chase Visa character meet to get to see this guy for a couple minutes. Although he was a bit pushy with the questions about our motives there.
4e72338d-8e26-4975-9acd-6895566ed375.JPG

Then we headed back to Galaxy's Edge to ride the Millennium Falcon and then grab a bite to eat. Now, I know the big draw with the Falcon is to get to be the pilot, but we both just enjoy the ride, so we did single rider which meant we both were engineers. I know that the ride hasn't gotten the best reviews, but I do enjoy it - both the nostalgia of being aboard the Millenium Falcon and I do think it is a well done ride (maybe it's because I'm not a gamer, so I have no idea about that kind of stuff). After the ride, we grabbed a Ronto Wrap at Ronto Roasters which was pretty good and enough food for both of us to at least be sated for a while.

At this point it was getting close to 3pm which was attendance check-in time for my kids. So, we parked ourselves in front of the Grauman's Chinese Theater at about 2:40pm and waited as all the kids stopped in. No surprise to anyone, there were 3 kids who didn't make it by 3pm. Or by 3:15pm... or by 3:30pm. Turns out they had gone to the 3pm Indiana Jones Stunt Show - but, luckily the brother of one of the three helped out by getting in touch and we let them check-in remotely this time! We then headed to our Star Tours FP+ and helped Lando save the galaxy again. It was a little after 4pm and with nothing really planned, we headed back to Toy Story land and waited in the Slinky Dog Dash line. The wait time was pretty accurate - read as 70 minutes and we waited almost 70 minutes on the dot for the ride. Fun as ever!

After riding with Slinky, we stopped at Woody's Lunch Box for the totchos (with veggie chili) which we always enjoy and then found a spot for @MeffysMom to wait for our daughter so they could head to Magic Kingdom. Once met up (around 6:45pm), they caught the Skyliner to Caribbean Beach, then Riviera, and finally to Epcot. They walked through Epcot (perhaps grabbing a drink along the way) and then took the monorail to Magic Kingdom for the party. I'll get back to their party in a little bit. First, the rest of my evening.

With the girls on their way, I decided to head back into Galaxy's Edge to ride Millennium Falcon on my own again. And, by the way, at about 8pm... there is NO WAIT for single rider. I actually rode twice in about a 15 minute span. Then I walked over to Docking Bay 7 and had the meatless meatballs which were very good. Then I headed back tot he front of the park to watch some of the Star Wars Galactic Spectacular and then meet all the kids (and parents, etc) at the exit around 8:40pm.

We headed to our hotel, Springhill Suites Flamingo Crossing, got all the kids checked in, busses unloaded, medications handed out, and I was finally up in my room a little after 10pm. And I didn't manage to stay awake for much later than that!

Meanwhile, the girls were off at Magic Kingdom for the After Hours Party there. While I'm not a huge fan of the ticketed experiences, this one was pretty good for them (and a couple friends from home who were also there). They rode just about everything in the park with no wait at all and some things multiple times. All in just 3 hours.
6b27e9f0-b4df-4e65-9347-8a310fe9e5c6.jpg

Yes, that's the 4 of them in their own boat for Pirates of the Caribbean.
d7cead1a-0db6-4bca-baa6-2c644203c244.jpg

And, yes, our daughter is wearing a tiara (after all this was her 16th birthday gift). As such, they decided to get a nice picture right about at midnight when her actual birthday began.

IMG_7300.JPG

When they finished the party, they got a Lyft back to the hotel and thanks to our trip security, they got into the room. Yes, despite texting and calling me, I didn't wake up until they opened the door to come in. And then promptly fell back asleep!

I'll leave you with one last picture from today's adventures - the girls have had a strange fascination with one of the local rental companies ever since their first Princess Half, when reading the barriers became a good way to stay interested during the run. More soon!
IMG_7297.jpg

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
After some very much needed and well deserved rest, it was a 6:15 wake up call to start getting ready for the big performance day, Saturday, 1/18 (also our daughter's 16th birthday). @MeffysMom and I were at breakfast in the hotel lobby by 7am and enjoyed the buffet that they had to offer (eggs, turkey sausage, mickey waffles, Belgian waffles, and then the usual cold items) - granted after the past couple days, I'm pretty sure any food would be welcome! Kids slowly made their way down to eat as well and then started getting dressed and ready. We had two performing groups (pictures on the last page) to get ready.

With the band performing first, the 70ish kids in band came out to the busses at 8:45am already in their concert attire, while the 30ish orchestra kids were in casual clothes to explore Disney Springs first. Once loaded up, we took all three busses to Disney Springs to unload the orchestra kids and some of the parents, and then headed to the Disney Performing Arts warm-up area, which is right next to the main casting building (across the street from Disney Springs). After about 30 minutes of warming-up and getting all prepared, we headed back to Disney Springs for the concert. The band played an 80s Disney movie medley, then a Lion King medley, and finally a Guardians of the Galaxy medley. Certainly not our finest moment, but everything sounded pretty good. To no ones surprise, but my disappointment, about 10 of the kids had forgotten their music, so there was some awkward sharing in a few places of the band. And the breeze at that stage made page turns a little challenging! After performing, we went back to the DPA area and changed into casual clothes and then went back to Disney Springs and picked up the orchestra kids.

Basically the same procedure happened a second time. Although there was one little hiccup... one of the orchestra kids was late and missed the bus, so we went back over to Disney Springs to pick her up (there is a special place in Hades for kids who yell 'here' for their friends during roll call on a bus... she was most certainly not here!). But we had more than enough time to get changed and get ready for the performance. Once back at Disney Springs, we took the long walk to the stage next to the Boathouse - if you ever need a good full body workout, try carrying a string bass from behind the Christmas shop (bus drop off) to the Boathouse in a black dress and heels. Those two girls were real troopers! The orchestra performed a medley from various Pixar movies, then selections from Brave, and ended with a classic Disney tune medley (Small World, Zipadee-do-dah, Chim-chim-eree, and Dream is a Wish...). Again, not our finest moment, but things went well enough! The breeze was even a bit worse at this stage and the sun was directly in the kids eyes, so a little tough to watch and stay together. Then it was the long walk back to the bus and across the street to change.

We finally we all back together at Disney Springs for about half an hour and @MeffysMom and I booked it over to Cooke's of Dublin and grabbed some fries to hold us until our big meal. At 2:30pm, everyone was loaded up and headed to the afternoon/evening at Animal Kingdom.

We decided that today was going to be the day of different angles (no, it really just happened that way, no plan was involved), but my first shot coming into Animal Kingdom is one I really like.
IMG_7318.jpg

Our first activity was a ride on Expedition Everest with FP+ and we ended up in line and riding with a group of our kids which was fun. I'm happy to report that I let out a large cheer when the 'bird on a stick' was not only there, but on full display - and the stick was almost completely out of sight. Not sure why that makes me so happy, but it does! Then we headed to our 4pm dinner at Yak and Yeti. I got the Dragon Roll plate (kind of deconstructed dragon roll) which was more than enough and delicious. @MeffysMom got the Korean beef stir fry and it was also very enjoyable.
IMG_7323.jpg

The only negative of the meal was that (much to our surprise), Yak and Yeti didn't accept our Disney Dining cards as payment. Not a real problem as we could use them later in the trip, but a bit of a bummer at the time. The manager was very apologetic and said that the issue happens often - which to me says that perhaps there needs to be clearer information either about the cards or on their menu.

After dinner, we headed over to the Safari with FP+ in hand. It wasn't quite time for the fake sunset over the savannah, but pretty close. They did cut off the section over the sometimes-rocking bridge and through the red clay area, which meant not a lot of elephant time. But we got to see a bit of a wildebeest stampede which was certainly something different! Speaking of something different (or perhaps not so different), our vehicle had some real...for lack of a better term... jerks on it. Every time we were anywhere near an animal they were yelling 'stop' to the driver and then when she was just slowing down a bunch, they all grumbled and complained very vocally. At one point, I couldn't stand it any more and talked to them about how the drivers have to keep up a pace and can't just slow down and stop constantly - it wasn't met with much positivity.

Somehow during the early afternoon, @MeffysMom had managed to secure Flight of Passage FP+ so we headed over there at 5:45pm for those. Of course a fun ride was had! When we got off, having now used all three of our FP+, she went back on MDE and... managed to get Flight of Passage FP+ again!! Yes, seriously. Having just ridden it, and knowing that there were some parents on our trip who had never done it and really hoped to, I texted them and a little later we passed off our Magic Bands so they could pose as Brifraz and Meffysmom for a ride at Pandora. We then relaxed and walked around the Tree of Life a bit and managed another odd angle to watch some of the Awakening show.
IMG_7328.jpg

After watching It's Tough to Be a Bug we continued to just wander around a bit and found ourselves behind Flame Tree Barbecue during the Rivers of Light show - which actually is a pretty cool spot to watch. You don't get to see the projections, but you still get the rest and the view with Everest in the background was pretty cool.
IMG_7337.jpg

IMG_7371.jpg

It was then just relaxing and meandering through shops until time for our group to regather to head to the busses at 9pm. Of course, we had one chaperone who couldn't track down one of their kids...ended up he was right with the group and just got missed - so, a little stress in there, but not too bad.

Back at the hotel around 9:30pm, handed out medications to kids, and then got to be a bit before 11pm.

slipperalwaysfits

I am eagerly following this. As a primary teacher, medications on a 5-hour field trip are enough hassle! Good for you for being brave enough to be in charge of them for a few days! Guess Disney is worth it!

We happened upon one of the new 360 degree Photopass spots and got a picture taken.

WAY COOL! We are going to have to find these next year!!! :geek:

It was a little after 4pm and with nothing really planned, we headed back to Toy Story land and waited in the Slinky Dog Dash line. The wait time was pretty accurate - read as 70 minutes and we waited almost 70 minutes on the dot for the ride. Fun as ever!
Not sure I could make myself wait 70 minutes, although SDD is a FANTASTIC ride....;)

(there is a special place in Hades for kids who yell 'here' for their friends during roll call on a bus... she was most certainly not here!).
First grade attendance during fire drills is brutal! I remind the kids frequently to only say "here" for their names, but there's always that one kid....

The only negative of the meal was that (much to our surprise), Yak and Yeti didn't accept our Disney Dining cards as payment. Not a real problem as we could use them later in the trip, but a bit of a bummer at the time. The manager was very apologetic and said that the issue happens often - which to me says that perhaps there needs to be clearer information either about the cards or on their menu.

Bummer, but yes, more clear information would be very helpful!

It wasn't quite time for the fake sunset over the savannah,

What do you mean "fake sunset?" I really haven't heard that term before...
Sorry your ride was so awful with those guests who had no clue how the Safaris are. I am pretty sure the driver says when you board that "I can't stop for anything."

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
I am eagerly following this. As a primary teacher, medications on a 5-hour field trip are enough hassle! Good for you for being brave enough to be in charge of them for a few days! Guess Disney is worth it!

What do you mean "fake sunset?" I really haven't heard that term before...
Sorry your ride was so awful with those guests who had no clue how the Safaris are. I am pretty sure the driver says when you board that "I can't stop for anything."

In terms of recruiting, nothing beats a Disney trip. Even if we never do it again, I've got over 100 kids telling everyone else at the school, all the younger siblings, family, etc. how cool the trip was - it filters down very quickly. The picture of the parade in front of the castle will be on my recruiting flyers for many years!

The "fake sunset" is something they started with the Safari running later in the evening/night. There is an area where they project up red and orange lighting to make it look like a beautiful sunset over the savannah. I'm not sure if it always happens, but we've seen it a couple times - the first time we thought it might be real, but were a bit confused. We actually talked to the driver really quickly afterwards to apologize to her for 'humanity at large.'

slipperalwaysfits

In terms of recruiting, nothing beats a Disney trip. Even if we never do it again, I've got over 100 kids telling everyone else at the school, all the younger siblings, family, etc. how cool the trip was - it filters down very quickly. The picture of the parade in front of the castle will be on my recruiting flyers for many years!

The "fake sunset" is something they started with the Safari running later in the evening/night. There is an area where they project up red and orange lighting to make it look like a beautiful sunset over the savannah. I'm not sure if it always happens, but we've seen it a couple times - the first time we thought it might be real, but were a bit confused. We actually talked to the driver really quickly afterwards to apologize to her for 'humanity at large.'

So glad the Disney trip will help make your band even better and more excited! I hope you do get to do it again! Thanks for explaining the "fake sunset." I'll be curious to see how an evening ride is.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Now we have come to Sunday, in the Magic Kingdom, and the marching band day in the parade. Of course, that meant that the start of the day (besides breakfast) was spent making sure that all the kids were prepared with everything they needed for the day. We had to load all the instruments back under a bus as well as all the uniforms and my suit.

If I may digress from the actual trip report for a moment, something that I doubt many folks realize is that when you have an equipment truck or bus, it comes under great scrutiny before it gets onto Disney grounds. Not to explain a bit out of sequence, but our driver shared with us the procedure he underwent to get backstage for us to meet him in the afternoon. We were to meet the bus for preparations at 1pm, but he had to arrive at the backstage gate at 12pm. The bus was searched by both security staff and multiple dogs. They went both through all the seats on the bus and the storage underneath. He said that some of the larger drum and wind instrument cases were opened up and searched by hand as well. Not that any of this surprises me, but I felt it worth sharing.

Now, back to the fun! We managed to get loaded and over to TTC by a bit before 9am and then had the kids and chaperones take the monorail over to the park. This morning, we got to actually spend some time with our daughter as we had Cinderella's Royal Table for a very late breakfast. We actually just took our time walking into the park and getting some Photopass pictures and then decided to hit one attraction before we ate. Since it was one of our daughter's favorites in her younger days, we watched Philharmagic.
IMG_7766.jpg

And then it was over to brunch. As always, the experience is the main highlight of Cinderella's and this morning was no exception.
IMG_7778.jpg

Of course, we got to meet and talk with each of the princesses and we got our wishing stars, plus the girls got their wands and I got my sword. Fairly certain we were the only family with a child over about 12 in the restaurant, but that doesn't really bother us in the least! We had a very enjoyable time and were happy to celebrate our daughter's 16th with the Royal treatment.
IMG_7807.jpg

After brunch, our daughter went back to hanging out with her friends and @MeffysMom and I continued our leisurely touring of the Magic Kingdom. We had about an hour and a half before I had to be at marching band preparations, so we simply walked around Fantasyland, Liberty Square, and Frontierland casually enjoying the sights and sounds of the Magic Kingdom. A bit before 1pm, we began to gather our crew next to Splash Mountain. There were 3 bands performing this day, so it was a bit crowded over there with all of those kids meeting up to head backstage at 1pm.

Once it was time, we met our Cast Member guide and headed backstage where they have a dressing and warm-up area for the kids so we got ourselves ready and ran through our music one last time before it was time to march at 2:30, before the Festival of Fantasy Parade. On the plus side, it is quite a short parade in the big picture of things (around 2/3 of a mile) but on the minus side, they do ask that you have the full band playing for the entire length of the parade (instead of the usual parade approach of playing a song or two and then a brief break for a drum cadence). But it is an experience that really cannot be duplicated and the kids loved it!

After the parade, we took about 30 minutes to get changed back into park touring attire, to pack everything up, and for everyone to drink their weight in water. Then it was back to enjoying Magic Kingdom. @MeffysMom and I had FP+ for Pirates that we used just a little after 4pm and then we crossed the park to ride the TTA so that we could relax for a bit... and catch a glimpse of the Tron progress.
IMG_7845.jpg

IMG_7849.jpg

We then criss-crossed back over to Adventureland for a ride on the Jungle Cruise (with FP+) and then dinner with the skippers as well at Skipper's Canteen. Really enjoyed the meal and the slight references to Adventurer's Club. We started with the pork cachapas which were excellent.
IMG_7853.jpg

We then shared the Perkins' Thai Noodles in honor of Pamelia Perkins. Also really excellent. We finished off with the Panna Cotta. All in all, a really excellent meal that we both enjoyed greatly. (and...next time, we will be able to get some drinks!)
IMG_7857.jpg

After dinner, we had our last FP+ which was for Peter Pan which is certainly a family favorite. Then we crossed the path and got a ride on It's a Small World (and managed not to fall asleep). It was getting close to time for Happily Ever After, which the majority of our kids were enjoying. We decided that rather than fight all the crowds, we would head to the entrance and set-up 'camp' for our group to meet up for attendance. It's quite impressive how good Disney has gotten at crowd management, but their efficiency does make it a little tough to gather 140+ people out of that massive crowd as they are exiting the park. Luckily, we chatted with some CMs and they helped us get things organized and we gathered our crew pretty quickly before moving en masse to the ferryboat. There was some chaos in that line as some chaperones from another school group were encouraging their kids to cut through the line to get themselves all together toward the front while our group was trying to stay relatively patient with us bringing up the rear of the group. Frustrating how some folks think that they (and by extension, their kids) are more important than others. But, oh well!

Managed to be back at the hotel around 9:30pm and had all the kids head to their rooms to get packed up since we would be checking out first thing in the morning before our full day at Epcot. Much like the previous night's, exhaustion was the rule of the night and we were quick to sleep.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
The final day of this adventure was a Monday and it was a full day for everyone to just enjoy Epcot. Granted, with Test Track down for refurb and more walls than attractions, it might not have been the ideal choice for a full day (especially for the kids). But we certainly made the most of it!

We were up at the hotel and getting breakfast around 6am with kids slowly filtering down between 6am and 7am. The daily morning medications party was around 7:30am and then it was time to get everyone checked out, loaded up, and ready for a long day - and then an even longer night on the bus! We managed to get everyone ready to go by 8:30am, which got us to Epcot just a little before park opening at 9am. Everyone got through the tapstiles pretty easily... or so we thought. Once through, we were talking to a group of kids who said that one of their group had left this ticket under the bus, so he was heading to Guest Services to show them the picture he had of the ticket (something we told all the kids to do) and get a replacement. Which happened pretty quickly and he was all set. BUT (of course, there's more, right?) in the meantime we heard some of our other kids talking about one of their group who had lost his ticket for the second time on the trip and was just going to sit outside the park all day... ummm, NO! So, back out I went to first find the kid and then get to Guest Services. Guess what - he hadn't taken a picture of his ticket! Luckily, I had the chart of all our kids ticket numbers. Once up to the window, I shared all the information I had. Only to find that when he had lost his ticket previously, he had gotten a new one at Guest Services at Magic Kingdom and somehow managed to register it in MDE to ANOTHER KID. And, that other kid was already in the park with a different ticket number. After some database searching by a very helpful CM and us calling different kids and trying to track down the full details of which tickets were used and by whom and how and... well, you get the idea. The CM just gave the kid a one day comp ticket to solve things. Much thanks for that! Which meant, we finally were into the park around 9:40am and finding ways to enjoy ourselves and forget the frustration of kids being... kids.

Knowing that we had missed any window of opportunity to do Frozen or Soarin' before lines got long, @MeffysMom and I just decided to do some of the simpler things - a visit to Nemo and (more importantly) the manatees at the Living Seas and then a ride with Figment. We did have to wait about 5-10 minutes for each which didn't seem totally unreasonable on a Monday in January. We still had a good 30 minutes before our FP+ for Living with the Land, so we just relaxed for a bit in the DVC Lounge, which was very welcome after the morning stress of loading everything/everyone and the ticket SNAFU. A bit after 11am, we headed to The Land and watched the new Amazing Planet movie which we enjoyed very much and then rode Living With The Land (still one of my favorites) which now had a healthy 30 minute line. One quick stop at Sunshine Seasons before leaving the pavilion... a cupcake to be enjoyed a little bit. And then we started heading back to World Showcase, taking note that Imagination also had a 30 minutes wait at this point. Evidently, the holiday Monday was going to live up to crowd expectations!

Now in World Showcase, it was time for the 'real' reason for us to be at Epcot during Festival of the Arts... The food! Our first stop was the Pop Eats booth for the Sous Vide Chicken Roulade. We took our chicken and cupcake and visited with our good friend Carl at Rose and Crown to enjoy the food. Sadly, in our current capacity as staff members in charge of 100+ high school kids, we had to forego a Carl's Combo or Guinness.
IMG_7884.jpg

IMG_7885.jpg

Both were very enjoyable and again, the relaxed time was certainly well worth it. Now with a little food in our stomachs, we headed to Canada to see the new film. We both enjoyed it very much and (much as we did enjoy the Martin Short version) we really liked that Canada was center stage the entire time. And, of course, it is always a great joy to be able to sing along with Canada, You're A Lifetime Journey at the end.

It was now past 1pm, which meant time for our next FP+ over in Norway with a visit to Anna's Ice Palace to hear her sing a song that I've heard at least 10,000 times too many. But, the ride is certainly well done and I enjoy quoting the Maelstrom script a few times each ride. We finished the ride around 2pm and decided that, with just an hour before our attendance check-in, we would head to Showcase Plaza and wait for kids to come get checked in. Sent out a group message that we were there early and to our delight (for the first time this trip), everyone had checked in by just a couple minutes after 3pm! There was some question at this point about whether our dinner would stay outside or be moved to an indoor location as the temperatures were right around 60 and forecast to be below 50 at dinner time, so we were sharing that information with kids and also keeping close track of things with our trip planners and the Disney folks.

With everyone checked in, we decided to take the Friendship Boat to France (another chance to relax for a few minutes - I think I might have dozed off a little). Despite a healthy line, we grabbed another quick bite to eat in France with the Brie and bread bowl.
IMG_7889.jpg

And then it was time to just take a slow walk around World Showcase to China, to watch that film for what I expect will be the last time. We stopped off in a number of shops along the way and just generally enjoyed the afternoon! After taking in the China film, we continued heading that direction and walked through the Norway shops and then visited Mexico to search for Donald. But, also in Mexico it was time for some more food. So we stopped off at El Artista Hambriento and picked up the Sopes de Barbacoa and the Agave Pork Belly and enjoyed those by the lagoon.
IMG_7886.jpg

IMG_7887.jpg

Nicely nourished again, we decided to go around the lagoon again, but in the opposite direction (yes, this will be our third nearly full circuit of the day), looking for the unique art that is added to the pavilions for the Festival. And that'll be where I join you in my next post!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
What? I never finished?? Well, actually I thought about it every couple of days, but... the trip planning/happening/recovering put me about a month behind on all the other things that I need to be doing in the winter season. It hasn't even been two months since our trip, but my bands and orchestras (normally I have 2 of each, we just combined for this event) have each had 2 more performances since then and my top two groups just completed their district festival assessment today. So, tonight I finally feel all caught up on things and able to get back to this and finish things off right!

So, we were already on the last day and the majority of the day had passed. BUT, not the whole day! It was around 5pm or so and we happened to see the Dante on the side of the Mexico pavilion and decided to walk all the way back around looking for all the unique artworks on the pavilions that were part of the Festival of the Arts.

Let's start our trip in Mexico, where Dante was hanging out in pretty clear view on the front of the pyramid.
IMG_7891.jpg

Next up, the snowgies were on the side of the the Kringla Bakeri - a little less obvious, but still pretty easy to find.
IMG_7892.jpg

Somehow, we didn't get a picture of Mushu on the wall on the outside of the China pavilion. I have no idea how we didn't get his picture, but we didn't! Over to Italy where Pascal and Jiminy Cricket were hiding out on the sides of a couple of the front buildings. We think one of these might be more permanent, but decided it was worth getting both pictures.
IMG_7895.jpg
IMG_7897.jpg

Most likely the two best hidden ones were coming up next. In Japan, Duffy Bear and Gelatoni were to the left of the main shop entrance, but under the overhang and somewhat behind one of the supports, so he was a tough find. But well worth it as our daughter was at just the right age when Duffy came along and we have a decent collection of stuffed animals and outfits!
IMG_7904.jpg

In Morocco, we had to do some real searching to track down Abu - now, those little paths through the marketplace are a bit of a maze anyway. We walked pretty much every inch of them before finally seeing him under an overhanging roof behind the main buildings, but a little ways in front of the restaurant area. This also was a great spot for us to chill out for a little bit as there was a metal table and some chairs right under him. We hung out there and rested for about an hour (also trying to warm up as the temperature was getting down into the low 60s at this point).
IMG_7901.jpg

Feeling at least a little more energized (although at this point we were pretty close to beyond recovery!), we headed to France and found both the Aristocats and Lumiere in somewhat prominent spots (Lumiere just behind the Chefs du France restaurant and the cats outside the perfumery).
IMG_7907.jpg
IMG_7909.jpg

We had just one last stop on this little tour and that was to the UK where Peter Pan's shadow was an easy find (right by the gardens behind the tea shop) and some friends from Robin Hood were across from the Beatles shop, but slightly hidden behind a shrubbery.

IMG_7912.jpg
IMG_7915.jpg

It took at least an hour or so for our tour, so we still had a little bit of time before our group dinner and fireworks seating. Hopefully I'm not going to take over a month to get the final post of this trip report up!!!

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Original Poster
Holy Thread Bump!! For anyone who followed along on this trip, I'm very sorry that I never finished up the report. But, 4 years later and I'm about to have a very similar trip so I was checking on this report and how I went about it before starting up the new one. Really makes that final statement of the last post seem pretty sad and pathetic, eh?

As you might not recall (since it's been almost 4 years), the temps were a bit chilly and Disney had contacted our tour managers about maybe moving our dinner inside. The final decision was to stay out, but they would be providing bonus hot chocolate and coffee for those that might need it to warm up a bit. Much as I'm glad that we got the experience outside... it was definitely a bit chilly! The upper 50s forecast didn't hold up and we were in the low 50s and it might've even gotten below 50 by the end of our dinner (can't quite recall). And, the majority of our crew weren't terribly well prepared for that cool of temps. But, the dinner was nice and the view from the island between UK and France was great. Too bad it was just Epcot Forever (says the guy still pining for Illuminations to make a comeback). After dinner we had a quite chaotic and borderline frightening experience.

Getting from the dinner location to Soarin' as a group. As thousands of other people are trying to get from World Showcase to the park exit. It was crazy. I spread out the chaperones and staff as best I could to try to keep us corralled, but we still didn't manage to stay together all that well and once in The Land, I was frantically taking attendance and crossing fingers we had everyone.

The ride on Soarin' was fun, but since there were still regular guests in queue to ride, it just didn't feel all that terribly special. After the ride, the crowds were thinned quite a bit so the trek to the bus was not terribly difficult. We got all loaded up, took attendance about 20 more times... waited for the couple kids who went to the bathroom without telling anyone... and finally got ourselves on the road.

The road back home was terribly uneventful. To be honest, I can't remember any of it!! I know we drove. I know we stopped for food. I know we didn't lose anybody. I know that nobody got sick. So, I guess it's all good, right!?

Sadly, we didn't get a single picture at dinner, during Epcot Forever or our late night Soarin' or on the ride home. Yeah, seriously. I think we were all just so tired (and cold) and anxious over getting everyone back safe and sound that pictures were the last thing on our minds.

So, again, apologies for the delay in getting this finished, but maybe it can just be a nice whetting of your appetite for the next huge group trip report which I hope to get rolling on later this weekend.

slipperalwaysfits

Getting from the dinner location to Soarin' as a group. As thousands of other people are trying to get from World Showcase to the park exit. It was crazy. I spread out the chaperones and staff as best I could to try to keep us corralled, but we still didn't manage to stay together all that well and once in The Land, I was frantically taking attendance and crossing fingers we had everyone.

The ride on Soarin' was fun, but since there were still regular guests in queue to ride, it just didn't feel all that terribly special. After the ride, the crowds were thinned quite a bit so the trek to the bus was not terribly difficult. We got all loaded up, took attendance about 20 more times... waited for the couple kids who went to the bathroom without telling anyone... and finally got ourselves on the road.

That would be incredibly chaotic and I'd go crazy trying to keep track of everyone in the mass exit from the parks! A Soarin' ride is always nice, even if it wasn't extra special.

Can't wait to read about your latest adventure to the World!

pkkurz

Holy Thread Bump!! For anyone who followed along on this trip, I'm very sorry that I never finished up the report. But, 4 years later and I'm about to have a very similar trip so I was checking on this report and how I went about it before starting up the new one. Really makes that final statement of the last post seem pretty sad and pathetic, eh?

As you might not recall (since it's been almost 4 years), the temps were a bit chilly and Disney had contacted our tour managers about maybe moving our dinner inside. The final decision was to stay out, but they would be providing bonus hot chocolate and coffee for those that might need it to warm up a bit. Much as I'm glad that we got the experience outside... it was definitely a bit chilly! The upper 50s forecast didn't hold up and we were in the low 50s and it might've even gotten below 50 by the end of our dinner (can't quite recall). And, the majority of our crew weren't terribly well prepared for that cool of temps. But, the dinner was nice and the view from the island between UK and France was great. Too bad it was just Epcot Forever (says the guy still pining for Illuminations to make a comeback). After dinner we had a quite chaotic and borderline frightening experience.

The road back home was terribly uneventful. To be honest, I can't remember any of it!! I know we drove. I know we stopped for food. I know we didn't lose anybody. I know that nobody got sick. So, I guess it's all good, right!?

Sadly, we didn't get a single picture at dinner, during Epcot Forever or our late night Soarin' or on the ride home. Yeah, seriously. I think we were all just so tired (and cold) and anxious over getting everyone back safe and sound that pictures were the last thing on our minds.

So, again, apologies for the delay in getting this finished, but maybe it can just be a nice whetting of your appetite for the next huge group trip report which I hope to get rolling on later this weekend.
I wondered about you the other day as we haven’t heard from you for a long while. We are headed to Disney now as we have become snowbirds. Can’t wait to hear about the new adventure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom