Well tried it out and here are my observations, etc...

ddrongowski

Original Poster
I removed from where I put it originally as it doesn't belong there.

Saturday MK
Check in using magic band, had issues that they had us booked multiple times with multiple rooms and to many people, but it got worked out.
FP+ worked fine, except BTMR was broken and CM wasn't able to give us a FP as we had FP+. Directed us up to the kiosk that he said was near liberty bell area. Unable to find kiosk, asked another CM in Christmas store, after 10 minutes she told us that it was next to the shooting arcade in the tunnel, and it was. The system told us to use our FP+ for HM, MI, POC, Buzz, speedway, BTMR, Splash, or Space mountain, up to park closing, but it would not be valid for EMH's. The system also sent an email to my yahoo account, but I do not carry a computer/smartpone/etc (reminds me of work) on vacation at WDW.

Sunday DHS and MK
FP+ for TSMM was very nice to have.

Monday AK and MNSSHP
Cancelled our ADR for today on Sunday, because it with FP+ makes things to rushed, and pressured. Tried here and now on MM+ application, works on Ipod, fails Samsung android devices. Tried multiple times thru the day same results.

Tuesday DHS and DTD
Tried here and now on MM+ application, works on Ipod, fails Samsung android devices. Tried multiple times thru the day same results. Even after verifying Andriod was up to date, and MM+ application was also. Did an uninstall and reinstall, same results. MM+ messed up when going to view FP+ times on smartphone. Had DW showing she used all her FP+'s already although we had only been in the park 20 minutes. Had to go to the kiosk area in the front of the park, were it took 30 minutes for them to get it straighten out. It took them 4 of there own mobile pads before it would read a band. They said they are having serious issues with MM+ application. Oh and straightened out means that our original FP+ time was no longer available, and made planning to get to the next FP+ selections feel rushed and pressured.

Wednesday Epcot
All 3 FP+'s worked without a hitch today.

Thursday DHS and DTD
Used FP+'s for RR and TOT. Did not use our third FP+ that day, but figured we would see what other attractions we could swap it for, but MM+ said nothing was available.

Friday AK
Used 2 of our 3 FP+'s, one for EE, and the other for Dinosaur. Tried to alter the third that was for Kali, but MM+ said there were not options available.

Saturday MK
Used all three FP+'s for BTMRR, SM, and HM. Also got a paper FP for buzz.

Notes
We purchased PP+ and the band does not work for attractions or character meets (this was also on their website in the FAQ area). We did loose pictures that we put on the band, and reverted back to the PP+ card only. Also when we mentioned this to one of the photographers he said the bands don't work most of the time for the pictures, even though it makes mickey go green. Also we wound up having pictures that were not ours. If you decide to try and change you FP+ option for a park that day, it seem to fail most of the time. Heard others discussing this also. The WIFI signal is not equal across all devices, our Samsung had low db, but an Ipod had better db. The WIFI signal db in the parks, etc… needs to be enhanced greatly if it is going to be usable.

My magic band never got comfortable, but I am a big guy, and have 8.25" wrists. As far as I am concerned the band is a solution looking for a problem, or is a great idea without any merit. Just stick with the cards with an RFID chip. Also they will gladly sell you a "band securer" for $5.00 because the bands pop open a lot according to them.
$2 billion on MB/MM+/FP+, and still the yeti is broken, the sign at the bizarre is frozen, the captains projection system at POC is broken, and the mermaids, look nothing like mermaids anymore. Lights are still burnt out all over the place on property, refrigerators are now not in the rooms except for special cases. Main pools are closed when life guards are not there. I'm thinking they need to spend money wiser.

I am very glad I had my credit card on me, because the magic band limit had been reached and the CM did not know how to get the limit cleared. This was in the restaurant in China and we had already eaten.

Is the band okay? yes it is, but honestly they should have spent the $2 billion on fixing what was broken first. Funniest thing was while in AK a manager (white shirt) asked me how I liked the band. When I explained to her that I do not see how it "makes me travel lighter" she said "well you do not have to carry a bag". Then she realized I did not have a bag, so she changed her response to "well your wife doesn't have to carry a bag", and then looked at my wife who has never carried a bag at WDW. She then said "well you guys already figured out how to go light". But then I raised the question of the weight of a "smartphone or tablet" that is being suggested to be carried.... She immediately had a light bulb moment, I also mentioned that tablet people will still have a bag with them to carry the tablet in... Another light bulb moment.

Was using the band inconvenient? No, but using the KTTW, rfid card or credit card wasn't/isn't either. ADDED BECAUSE IT IS IMPORTANT!!!! It actually takes longer to pay for food and drink using the band or RFID KTTW, then just handing them you a credit card. If you use your band with the their portable scanner, they have to:
1. Swipe a card at the register.
2. Have you scan your band or RFID KTTW.
3. Have you enter your pin number.
4. Go back to the register and swipe a card to connect the scanner to the system.
5. Print out receipt.
6. Have you sign receipt.

If you just hand them a credit card:
1. They slide the credit card thru the register.
2. Print out receipt.
3. Have you sign receipt.

So it is not faster.

One other thing we did notice is that the FP lines were much (sometimes seriously) longer than in previous years.

OH AND A BIG SOMETHING ELSE!!!!!!

Someone on this forum mentioned about how much more convenient the band was for paying at sit down dining. Something to the effect of scan, enter your pin, and go. WELL.................... If you choose to do that, the server will not get a tip. We asked a couple of servers about this and yes they are having people leave without tipping.

The old way with KTTW or credit card was:
1. get check
2. give card and check to server
3. server takes and brings back receipt for signature and tip amount
4. leave restaurant

The new RFID card or magic band way is:
1. get check from server
2. server will return with hand scanner
3. scan RFID card or magic band
4. enter pin.
5. server takes and brings back receipt for signature and tip amount
6 leave restaurant

MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT STIFF THE SERVERS!!!!!!

Last edited:

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Thanks for the notes on PP and tipping! I'm shocked they don't do the tip right on the machine. Most people probably just aren't thinking and don't mean to leave without tipping. We will be sticking to cards for PP so we don't lose any pictures.

Last edited:

ddrongowski

Original Poster
Oops almost forgot to add, the lines to get into the parks are a lot longer then they had been in the past, due to: 1. Spinning white, spinning blue (person did not get finger on scanner in time).
2. Spinning white, spinning white, spinning blue (already used their band to enter the park and did not have hopper option). Yes they turned some people away because the came in earlier, left for a break and tried to return but did not have a "hopper" option. I thought that going back to the same park with a mid day break was included with every ticket, guess not.
3. Spinning white, spinning white, spinning blue (the system information was flawed), then a CM does some tablet work and the guest repeats to get a spinning green.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Oops almost forgot to add, the lines to get into the parks are a lot longer then they had been in the past, due to: 1. Spinning white, spinning blue (person did not get finger on scanner in time).
2. Spinning white, spinning white, spinning blue (already used their band to enter the park and did not have hopper option). Yes they turned some people away because the came in earlier, left for a break and tried to return but did not have a "hopper" option. I thought that going back to the same park with a mid day break was included with every ticket, guess not.
3. Spinning white, spinning white, spinning blue (the system information was flawed), then a CM does some tablet work and the guest repeats to get a spinning green.
Wait! You can't return to the same park anymore! That doesn't seem right.

Mista C

refrigerators are now not in the rooms except for special cases.

is this the case in every hotel on property?!?! Will this always be the case, or are they returning? The fridge is easily our most used item in our room each visit, as we bring stuff from home for breakfast, plus cold waters, juice, leftovers, etc.

ddrongowski

Original Poster
is this the case in every hotel on property?!?! Will this always be the case, or are they returning? The fridge is easily our most used item in our room each visit, as we bring stuff from home for breakfast, plus cold waters, juice, leftovers, etc.
They sent us a letter 2 days prior to arrival (12OCT13) saying that of the types they had, the majority had some "failure/safety issue" and if a refrigerator was required, they might be able to provide one. They did get us one, we have insulin so our reason is medical. I'm thinking it is only a temporary thing, but how long will it take them to purchase new "safe" refrigerators, I do not know. But hey they just dumped $2 billion on MM+:D so they should have plenty of money.

PolynesianPrincess

Wait! You can't return to the same park anymore! That doesn't seem right.

I agree that it is wrong, but that is what they told them. I heard the CM with my own ears.

This definitely 100% should NOT be the case. Something must have been going on with their system. If it's to the point that you can't leave a park and come back later in the day.... boy will this make A LOT of families upset! If this is the case and you can't in fact, return to the park once you leave with the way it's set up now, I wonder if they will start offering a come and go to the park as you please option.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
This definitely 100% should NOT be the case. Something must have been going on with their system. If it's to the point that you can't leave a park and come back later in the day.... boy will this make A LOT of families upset! If this is the case and you can't in fact, return to the park once you leave with the way it's set up now, I wonder if they will start offering a come and go to the park as you please option.
I'm guessing it's a mistake in the system and the CMs don't know how to handle it. If it happened to me I would call for a manager ASAP. Either that or the Guests were lying or confused on how the bands worked and the CMs were correct.

PolynesianPrincess

I'm guessing it's a mistake in the system and the CMs don't know how to handle it. If it happened to me I would call for a manager ASAP. Either that or the Guests were lying or confused on how the bands worked and the CMs were correct.

I'll be there in a little over 2 weeks. My sister and I have APs so coming and going from the parks won't be an issue for us (IF they are not letting people leave and come back with PH option) My cousin will have a PH ticket so she shouldn't have any issues either. I'm going to ask while I'm there, just to see, if you can leave the park, say leave MK for dinner at the Poly and then return if you have only a one park per day ticket. Like you said, it must be a glitch.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I've been trying to search on Disney's site for the official reentry rules but can't find it. We have ALL our days planned as split days with no PH. I know my two year old will need nap/down time.

ddrongowski

Original Poster
There was a manager there as they are at all the entries it seemed (guess to help out). The CM holding the tablet, showed it to the manager (white shirt, I am assuming that is a manager level) and the manager said that a they needed a hopper to return to the park. The people could have been lying or trying to get one over on WDW, but we will probably never know.

JAG107

It's starting to sound like these bands are a big waste of time. Going to some kiosk to fix FP's for a half hour is a half hour not spent vacationing. Taking 2 extra steps to buy something is not easier. You still have to carry your wallet in case something happens and you need to show ID anyway, plus if you're getting AP/DVC discounts you need to carry your card. Not getting the doors to unlock or not getting into the gate sounds like an unnecessary hassle also. Thanks for this realistic report which is more believable and less sugar coated than the ones I hear from travel agents' podcasts who rave about how great it is.

wogwog

It's starting to sound like these bands are a big waste of time. Going to some kiosk to fix FP's for a half hour is a half hour not spent vacationing. Taking 2 extra steps to buy something is not easier. You still have to carry your wallet in case something happens and you need to show ID anyway, plus if you're getting AP/DVC discounts you need to carry your card. Not getting the doors to unlock or not getting into the gate sounds like an unnecessary hassle also. Thanks for this realistic report which is more believable and less sugar coated than the ones I hear from travel agents' podcasts who rave about how great it is.
The less than magic rubber bands are a disaster. But Disney has too much invested to back up now. If you have forgotten the first bands were put in play in December. So they will throw all the money necessary to force this junk on the guests. The added personnel that Disney has had to throw at this program is astounding. I am local and talk to many Disney cast at many levels in the work force. This is what I see. Several new job categories have been created that were never needed prior to the shiny new rubber bands and RFID. I am not even including the IT department. Just consider the activity of getting in a park and getting on a ride. Paper and plastic tickets and a turnstile required a ticket taker and an occasional supervisor in the area. The rubber band takes the previous ticket taker to over and over explain how to use the band. The new bands have a high failure rate due to bad design, bad software, bad hardware, and bad everything. Now a second layer of cast with hand held readers back up the ticket folks. Both of these work groups have several supervisors and several managers never needed to get you in the park before. Backing up them is a group of problem solvers running around in blue shirts to figure out other issues. Just last week I hear they added even more GR people to hang out at all the kiosks all over the park with more kiosks being added. They are needed there as guests can't work them, or the band is so screwed up or it needs extra help even if the guest is willing to spend major time at the kiosk or on a phone to solve issues. Now those same GR folks are being joined by another group of new workers in what looks like a light green shirt similar to the blue shirt gang. What they are doing I have no idea but a neighbor said her daughter is part of the group and it numbers near a hundred of them for just the Magic Kingdom. Plus the blue shirts and the green shirts probably have a group of supervisors and managers over each group. Where does it end. That is a lot of payroll to find out what I bought and where I ate. Add to this the other parks increase in workers plus more folks to get you checked in at the hotel. The Fast Pass minus lines are definitely slower than the paper system. The difference in time to get in the park is much slower as well. That opinion is from the ticket takers and the GR folks who were honest enough to share that with me in private.

I have many friends and relatives who visit the parks every year. None of them have been had a good or even satisfactory experience. The lucky ones stayed at a resort that did not participate at the time of their visit.
One family stayed at the Contemporary a few weeks ago and it took two desk clerks, three supervisors or leads, and a manager to get checked in due to issues. After they were told everything was "fixed" they still ere not able to use the band to buy anything. But the "obsolete" KTTW card worked.

Let me be clear. None of my visitors had any issue with the cast as to courtesy and what always looked to be an honest effort to make things work. The system and corporate failed, not the front line cast.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
My DS GF kept having problems this weekend with her MB getting into, the manager would come over put in her data into iPad to confirm her ticket information and then they would let her in. The process was when the spinning circle came up instead of green you are instructed to wave your hand in the air so a iPad CM could come come get ya and work on admitting you into the park. oy.

EvilQueen-T

there seems to be soooooo many issues with the new system and even with the old system there were issues that were never worked out. i understand this is the whole purpose of the testing phase but ugh...i'm really hoping all this info they're collecting actually helps smooth things out sooner than later.

ddrongowski

Original Poster
Just keeping it real. After all they want it tested, and if it is not working right, and you say "hey it is okay", it will really suck in the future. There are those that say "don't be so picky or tough on the system", but they enjoy low quality for top dollar.

Kind of like taking a car to the mechanic, because you know something is wrong. The mechanic works on it but it is still not fixed right. The mechanic returns it to you, and say "how it is now". Well you really like the mechanic and don't want to be negative in any way. So you say "It's perfect, thanks a lot". But in reality you still have the same problem as it did not get fixed. So even though he would be extremely happy to make it right, he has no idea it is not correct.

Too many people happily except low quality for the sake of non conflict. Even though it helps no one in the end.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom