Trip Report Week Full of Relaxation and Directional Challenges - An April Trip Report

It’s been 4 months since my April trip so it’s about time that I get this report done! I usually try to get it done shortly after returning but it has been a crazy busy summer. I figure I need to start now since my next trip is now only 46 days away! I promise to do better after that trip. :D

So let’s get to it!

The Details

Who: Me (Ashley) and my husband, Wes

41933540037.jpg

Picture from our November 2012 Trip

On this trip, we were joined by Wes’ parents, his older brother, younger sister, and younger brother.

When: April 24-30, 2014

Where: Disney’s Old Key West Resort

Thursday April 24th – We Arrive, Get Lost for the First Time this Trip and Visit Downtown Disney

This was kind of a last minute trip. Wes’ parents are DVC members and they had points that they were going to lose if they didn’t use them. So, they decided to rent a 2-bedroom villa at Old Key West and invited us to come with them. We would have to share a room with his little sister but I didn’t mind! A free room at WDW? Count me in! :D

Since this was a last minute trip, I was already there in March and we were going again in October (I’m out of control with Disney trips!), we needed to drive this trip. We have always had the luxury of flying on our trips so driving was a new adventure, hence the title of this trip report.

We woke up at 5am and left the house around 5:40am. I wanted to leave at 5:30am so we weren’t too off schedule. I’ll share a few pictures of our 9 hour car ride.

2014-04-24054858.jpg

You know it’s too early when it’s still dark outside

2014-04-24065206.jpg

Wes decided to sleep most of the morning ride.

2014-04-24120838.jpg

Almost there!

IMG_4807.jpg

IMG_4808.jpg

So close!

IMG_4815.jpg

IMG_4820.jpg

IMG_4823.jpg

We made it!

We arrived at Old Key West around 2:30pm. It took us 9 hours and that was with us stopping 3 times to use the facilities and get some food. Not too shabby! We checked in and were told that our room was ready. Sweet! We made our way to building 21 to check out our room. Wes was driving and I was the navigator as we left the main building to head to our room. I was looking at the map that the hotel gave us and I instructed Wes to turn right. Well, what do you know? We should have gone straight and we now just left the resort! Hahaha Oops! We literally drove in to the resort, checked in, and then drove out.

After that first of several directional challenges committed by me (and later by Siri), we finally found our building and room!

IMG_4824.jpg

IMG_4826.jpg

IMG_4828.jpg

IMG_4830.jpg

I was so glad that our room was ready because I really needed to use the restroom! We climbed the stairs up to our second floor room with luggage in tow only to find that Mousekeeping was still in our room! Ahhhhh! :eek: I normally wouldn’t be bothered but when you gotta go, you gotta go! Hahaha After a few minutes, the Mousekeeper was done and we were able to get into our room.

IMG_4866.jpg

IMG_4867.jpg

IMG_4868.jpg

IMG_4831.jpg

IMG_4832.jpg

IMG_4833.jpg

IMG_4858.jpg

Love this lamp in the living room!

WishIWasAtWDW

Original Poster
I enjoyed your TR and you have some great photos.

Thanks for reading! :D

I know it is sad to write the final day of this report that brings back the leaving Disney pain, but at least you get to go back in October :D YAY!! Thanks for sharing this wonderful family trip with us with all the great pictures even the camera fog ones, I hate when you come out of the room in the morning and use the camera the first time of the day and the lens does that, humidity I guess causes that. Will be watching for the October pre-trip.

It is sad whenever a trip is over but yes, its so much easier when I have another trip planned! Thanks for reading! I hate when the camera fogs up too but sometimes it makes for a neat picture. It's that dang Florida humidity. Only 28 days until my October trip! Woo hoo!

Love your report Ashley! :) We've done the drive to WDW a couple times... only we're about 15 hours north of you!! lol so the 9 hours you drove doesn't seem so bad to me!!

The archery thing at FW looks really cool! I used to teach archery at a summer camp when I was a counselor there. I can’t say I was ever very good at it, but it’s fun!

I KNEW when you said you were making ADRs that La Hacienda was going to be one of them! I know from your past reports how much you like that place. I have yet to try it but hopefully someday!! Kona Café is another favorite of mine for breakfast. We have an ADR there in November. The pineapple macadamia pancakes are calling my name.

Old Key West looks nice! My great aunt is an original owner at DVC and actually when she bought, Old Key West was actually called Disney Vacation Club. It was the only DVC at that time!!

Thanks for reading Darolyn! :D Wow, that would be a drive I couldn't handle. Hahaha I could barely handle the 9 hour drive.

The archery thing was so cool! I had only ever done archery once before and that was in middle school. I figured it would be a cool new experience and it really was a lot of fun! I recommend if you're looking for something new.

Hahaha YES! La Hacienda is my FAV! We had to make that reservation. I've eaten there on every trip since 2012. Sadly, we aren't eating there in October. :( We will probably be doing the quick service one next door though! And I want to stop by La Cava for some margaritas too!

Wes' family LOVES OKW. That's their home resort too and it's their favorite. I really enjoyed our week there more than I thought I would. I've stayed there two times before but never spent that much time at the resort so I didn't appreciate it as much.

FlaggNL

I loved your report! As always it is said to be over.. but hey you are back in the world in 25 days :) 5 days earlier than we are! BTW on your pictures the park looks not that crowded.. hope we have some days like that in October :) Thanks for the share!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom