Week after Christmas: Still fun or Too frustratingly crowded?

John Dulmage

I'm planning a trip for me and my wife, along with my grown daughter's family which in Dec. 2020 would include my daughter & husband and our grandkids - two boys, 11 & 12, and a girl, 8 years. The last time we went it was June 2016, but due to schedules it looks like the only viable time for us to go is the week after Christmas - Dec. 27, 2020 - Jan. 3 2021. I'm afraid my grandkids will get too frustrated with the crowds.
I know many are experienced at going at this time. I would still enjoy it as an adult, but I'm worried that the kids will just not like it with those crowds.

What do you think and what's the best way to handle the crowds to still have fun??

nickys

Premium Member
It will be some of the highest crowds of the year.

What @drizgirl said!

Buuuuut, we did it for our last trip and loved every minute. Doing it again next year.

I would say though that it won’t suit everyone! We were onsite for 13 days (I think), so felt no rush to get everything done in one day per park. Park hours suddenly drop right down on Jan 1st, from 7am EMH to regular park opening @9am at MK, for example, and crowds were still around because schools were still off and race weekend was approaching.

I also made sure to temper expectations, so that everyone was surprised by how much we did do. I used Touring Plans to get an idea of how long things would take, but my plans are extremely relaxed, and I never refer to them in the parks at all! Even Christmas Day we were able to get 4th and 5th FPs. Didn’t do the parks on NYE though.

Upvote 0

Dave B

If you go park commando it will not be great, if you split up your trips to the park, you will have a great time, go i the morning and then back to resort or off park activity (mini golf, etc ) and then back to the park at night, utilize the FP for sure and it will be incredible, the park is so decked out for the holiday's, enjoy

Upvote 0

Dave B

Won't be fun IMO. I would skip that trip even if I won an all-expenses paid freebie in the Grand Floridian Club Level.
That's rational thinking, turn down a 10k+ vacation because its a little crowded at one of the best resorts and closest access to the parks on the club level, c'mon now

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

The upside is the beauty of the parks and resorts. Theres nothing else like Disney for Christmas time and it does make a very memorable visit. If youve never been during that season, it will astound you with how Disney decorates and will make you want to do it again ( but a bit earlier in the month) . But you will be in with the Christmas & NYE crowds so thats going to limit the amount of things you will be able to get done in a day even by getting in early and staying late. If you go in with that in mind you can still have a good time. Personally I wouldnt go because Ive become more frustrated by the extensive crowding and wouldnt like it from what Ive seen reported in the past by others. Theres no magical formula on how to make a very crowded situation ideal. Youll face the mobs everywhere and you need the patience to handle it and have less expectations. How well your kids will do? How patient are they and how much are they willing to possibly miss?

Upvote 0

John Dulmage

Original Poster
Thanks for the input.
1. I'm excited for the family to see the parks and resorts in their holiday beauty.
2. I'm excited for them to experience the special holiday fireworks, parade and especially Candlelight Processional.
3. I know a lot of people (obviously) manage the parks at this time of year, so it must be doable
4. Worried about how the grandkids will handle the crowds and the waits. They were not great waiting when we came last time, and this would be worse (but they will be 4-years older - which might be better...might not!!). I'm worried that I might feel like @CaptainAmerica

I going to review it carefully with my daughter and get her take on it and her feelings about the kids. Because she's a teacher and the kids are in a different school system than where she teaches, their spring breaks are never the same, and she can then only go in the summer. It was so brutally hot the last time, plus we already do an annual beach thing every summer, that it seems like too much.

I'll Welcome all further advice!! Thanks

Upvote 0

RememberWhen

We were there December 20-29th 2018. It was a group of 8, and we had a blast. Plan your ADRs well. Plan your FP. There were times where we mostly just did our 3 FP and otherwise enjoyed walking around and taking in the scenery/chaos.
Now, my group was mostly WDW experienced adults plus my DS6 and DD1. So we didn’t fuss too much about missing things.
I think if you are willing to do just a few things, go with the flow and can enjoy some resort time you’ll have a great trip.
Good luck!

Upvote 0

KaliSplash

May the Lord have mercy on your soul. But seriously, if you are hoping to show the grandkids all that Mickey has to offer, you Will be extremely frustrated. If you go to see the decorations and the atmosphere, etc, you can have a good time, if a crowded one.

Upvote 0

epcotisbest

It’s a tough call. Generally, going is always better than not going, if those are the two choices.

That said, we cut a NYE trip short one year. It was supposed to be 4 days, we left after 2, thought it best to save the other two days for a time where we could get more done.

Standing in Epcot to see the NYE Illuminations was frustrating but also stunning (for a half hour) and then frustrating again. People were camping out on blankets and sleeping bags hours before it started. Everyone was in everyone else’s way.

The offsite hotel let us go without penalty, and that was that. It’s this weird mix of I’m glad we got to see it, but wouldn’t want to do it again.

That was maybe ten years ago. Things are different now. It’s not about a marathon of attractions; it’s more just being there, eating well, etc. I’d love to do a non-park trip and just be in one of the deluxe hotels for at least Christmas Eve & Day.

Perhaps it is due to my advancing age and decreasing tolerance of crowds and rudeness, but I find the comfort and serenity of home during the holidays much more appealing than the crowds and craziness.
We still like late spring and fall, except, of course when a hurricane may or may not be headed directly there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DryerLintFan

Premium Member

You'll have to temper your expectations. We went during this time and this is a photo i personally took off the crowds. You couldn't see the pavement. People were.... Everywhere.

We still had a blast, but we're only were about to do our three fastpass rides after the crowds started showing up. We got some more done in the mornings though during EMH, but had to be at the park at 6:45 am to make that happen.

Upvote 0

SaltyD

I'm planning a trip for me and my wife, along with my grown daughter's family which in Dec. 2020 would include my daughter & husband and our grandkids - two boys, 11 & 12, and a girl, 8 years. The last time we went it was June 2016, but due to schedules it looks like the only viable time for us to go is the week after Christmas - Dec. 27, 2020 - Jan. 3 2021. I'm afraid my grandkids will get too frustrated with the crowds.
I know many are experienced at going at this time. I would still enjoy it as an adult, but I'm worried that the kids will just not like it with those crowds.

What do you think and what's the best way to handle the crowds to still have fun??

Yes it's crowded, and yes it might be frustrating....BUT it's the only time your schedules will allow you to all go together. The parks (and resorts) are beautiful at that time of year and it's a wonderful way to continue holiday celebrations! You have a year to plan and manage expectations. Important things to keep in mind = stay on property, book meals at your 180 day window, do your fast passes, and take advantage of Extra Magic Hours, and plan as much as you can. There is also so much to enjoy on property outside of the parks - enjoy your resort mid-day, go check out Disney Springs, play mini golf, make sure the kids get pool time.

Ask the kids - Disney crowded or no Disney at all? :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom