Wedding Planning/Magic Kingdom Events PI

should-be-BELLE

Original Poster
Has anyone participated in either of these internships? I'm planning on applying for one of the two within the next 2 years before I graduate. My career goal is event coordinator/party planner/what have you and i was wondering if anyone had any advice or pointers on how competitive this internship may be. Thanks!

coasterphil

No, but I'm pretty sure that it is the most competitive PI that WDW offers. Everyone and their mother wants to be a fairytale wedding planner.

Dreamstuff

No, but I'm pretty sure that it is the most competitive PI that WDW offers. Everyone and their mother wants to be a fairytale wedding planner.
LOL, and their mothers, well if anyone here does get it I'll hit you up in a decade or two, I reaaaaalllly want a fairytale wedding at Disney someday.

Captain Hank

I'm afraid that those are the two most competetive internships available. The wedding planning one, in particular, requires a good deal of experience in the field. The MK events one is slightly less competetive, but is still up there. I have a friend who did MK events, and she had a blast.

should-be-BELLE

Original Poster
I'm afraid that those are the two most competetive internships available. The wedding planning one, in particular, requires a good deal of experience in the field. The MK events one is slightly less competetive, but is still up there. I have a friend who did MK events, and she had a blast.

Oh that's very cool about your friend. What kind of experience did she have prior?

Captain Hank

One major thing is that she worked at a lot of events (MVMCP, MNSSHP) as extra hours and got to know the department. She'd also had prior experience with event work before coming to Disney.

flower4pwr

Has anyone participated in either of these internships? I'm planning on applying for one of the two within the next 2 years before I graduate. My career goal is event coordinator/party planner/what have you and i was wondering if anyone had any advice or pointers on how competitive this internship may be. Thanks!

I did the Wedding Services internship. It was the best time of my life and an amazing experience.
I had experience in hotels and confrence centers (about 3 years worth of time with Marriott). And prior to coming down I was a concierge in a hotel/conference center so I was used to a lot of guest contact.

WDWbride05

I am new here..this is my first post! I am also very interested in the Wedding internship. I know it's a long shot to actually get a job with them as I heard already from my own wedding planner that it's difficult to get into to. I would like to know what kind of degrees would be best and what kind of experience they looking for. I have only just started in this career path. I do have a diploma in Bridal Consulting and I know that is not anywhere close to what I need to have. I do plan on going back to school and getting a degree but right now I am a stay at home mom. So what advice do you guys have? Thanks!

flower4pwr

I am new here..this is my first post! I am also very interested in the Wedding internship. I know it's a long shot to actually get a job with them as I heard already from my own wedding planner that it's difficult to get into to. I would like to know what kind of degrees would be best and what kind of experience they looking for. I have only just started in this career path. I do have a diploma in Bridal Consulting and I know that is not anywhere close to what I need to have. I do plan on going back to school and getting a degree but right now I am a stay at home mom. So what advice do you guys have? Thanks!

Hi there!
As you know the positions of WDW planners are few and far between, based just on the fact that there aren't that many positions and there isn't a whole lot of turnover. Your best bet would be to get a lot of hotel and conference center experience. A lot of the planners have worked in events for decades so you are already starting off at a bit of a disadvantage. Also like most of the areas at Disney they hire almost exclusively from within. So you're going to want to get a position with Disney somewhere, preferably in one of the conference centers as a banquet captain or even better a catering guest service manager.
As far as a degree, most had them in hospitality, but not all of them. I would say they stress experience over actual degree for certain.
If you are talking about just as a Weddings PI then the criteria is a little less stringent. As I said I had about 3 years hotel and guest service experience. I also have a lot of computer experience (about an 8 on a scale of 10), which came in handy and they did ask about what programs I worked with during the interview. They work a lot with Seibel, Disney Sales and Catering (and internal program) and the Microsoft Office Suite.
Hope that helps! Good luck to you! :wave:

Mikelo

Hi there!
As you know the positions of WDW planners are few and far between, based just on the fact that there aren't that many positions and there isn't a whole lot of turnover. Your best bet would be to get a lot of hotel and conference center experience. A lot of the planners have worked in events for decades so you are already starting off at a bit of a disadvantage. Also like most of the areas at Disney they hire almost exclusively from within. So you're going to want to get a position with Disney somewhere, preferably in one of the conference centers as a banquet captain or even better a catering guest service manager.
As far as a degree, most had them in hospitality, but not all of them. I would say they stress experience over actual degree for certain.
If you are talking about just as a Weddings PI then the criteria is a little less stringent. As I said I had about 3 years hotel and guest service experience. I also have a lot of computer experience (about an 8 on a scale of 10), which came in handy and they did ask about what programs I worked with during the interview. They work a lot with Seibel, Disney Sales and Catering (and internal program) and the Microsoft Office Suite.
Hope that helps! Good luck to you! :wave:

Hi! I was just wondering how many interns they actually accept for the Disney Fairy Tale Weddings. Also, I've only done a summer's worth of interning at Fairmont with Catering, Banquets, and Convention Services. Do you have any advice as far as experience goes to further my chances? Thanks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom