Weather in September

CamiCan

Original Poster
How bad is the weather in September? We are going to go for two weeks. Does it really rain every day? I know about ponchos but how do we keep our phones dry since I heard it rains really hard.

Figaro928

How bad is the weather in September? We are going to go for two weeks. Does it really rain every day? I know about ponchos but how do we keep our phones dry since I heard it rains really hard.
Went last September and it wasn't bad as far as rain. it was hot a humid all day with a mid afternoon quick downpour each day. Short enough to escape with a ride or shop. One out of the eight days we were there it rained really heavy for a long period but it was great - really cleared out the park.

We had everything in our bags in clear ziplocks in our backpacks. Worked well for wet rides as well. Each electronic had its own sandwich sized ziplock and all the extra stuff was in one big ziplock. That and the backpack went under the poncho. Everything stayed dry!

CamiCan

Original Poster
Which park is the best for very rainy days with the most indoor stuff (it seems from what I've read so far, it's Epcot?)? Which park has mostly outdoor attractions and is best saved for a sunny day? Is it Animal Kingdom or Magic Kingdom? Is it warm enough when it rains that it's okay to do the waterparks since we'll be wet anyway? What happens if there's a hurricane when we're there? How bad will things get?

Last edited:

belledream

Best indoor park would be HS to me. Has shows and indoor rides that shouldn't be affected by lots of rain. AK in the rain actually yields more animal sightings for us! I wouldn't like to be stuck in the rain at EPCOT. Makes strolling around the World Showcase not so awesome.

Water parks still operate in the rain, but lightning will be the issue.

Try not to stress about it! Just go and have a good time.

BrerJon

Which park is the best for very rainy days with the most indoor stuff (it seems from what I've read so far, it's Epcot?)? Which park has mostly outdoor attractions and is best saved for a sunny day? Is it Animal Kingdom or Magic Kingdom? Is it warm enough when it rains that it's okay to do the waterparks since we'll be wet anyway? What happens if there's a hurricane when we're there? How bad will things get?

You don't have to worry much about the weather, Florida rarely has 'rainy days' as such, just rainy hours - and almost every day in September will be sunny. It will be hot until the afternoon when there may be a crazy storm, but it should be over in an hour or so, and things warm right back up. So when you hear about Florida getting lots of rain, it doesn't mean a whole day in the damp.

Animal Kingdom is mostly outside so if you are unlucky enough to get a rainy afternoon, best skip that, but the others are fine in all weathers.

You're very unlikely to get a hurricane, and if you do don't worry, Disney will look after you, and every cast member has had hurricane training. It will just seem like a very bad storm, but the chances are very low of one happening at all.

Because storms tend to happen late afternoon, most people in a water park will just take it as their cue to leave for the day, but some wait it out - the temperature doesn't change, so getting back in the water after the storm isn't going to make anyone sick!

CamiCan

Original Poster
Best indoor park would be HS to me. Has shows and indoor rides that shouldn't be affected by lots of rain. AK in the rain actually yields more animal sightings for us! I wouldn't like to be stuck in the rain at EPCOT. Makes strolling around the World Showcase not so awesome.

Water parks still operate in the rain, but lightning will be the issue.

Try not to stress about it! Just go and have a good time.

I can count on my two hands the number of times I've seen lightning in my life. Is is necessary to stay indoors or is okay to walk outside between attractions in when a thunderstorm is happening?

belledream

I can count on my two hands the number of times I've seen lightning in my life. Is is necessary to stay indoors or is okay to walk outside between attractions in when a thunderstorm is happening?
Lol, it's nothing to fret about. It happens and you will be fine to be outside. I guess conventional wisdom and advice is to not stand next to a metal pole or under a tree. Definitely don't be in the water - they won't let you anyways. You'll probably hear thunder before you see lightning so if you're worried or want to plan ahead, listen for that. Storms are usually very short lived!

CamiCan

Original Poster
You don't have to worry much about the weather, Florida rarely has 'rainy days' as such, just rainy hours - and almost every day in September will be sunny. It will be hot until the afternoon when there may be a crazy storm, but it should be over in an hour or so, and things warm right back up. So when you hear about Florida getting lots of rain, it doesn't mean a whole day in the damp.

Animal Kingdom is mostly outside so if you are unlucky enough to get a rainy afternoon, best skip that, but the others are fine in all weathers.

You're very unlikely to get a hurricane, and if you do don't worry, Disney will look after you, and every cast member has had hurricane training. It will just seem like a very bad storm, but the chances are very low of one happening at all.

Because storms tend to happen late afternoon, most people in a water park will just take it as their cue to leave for the day, but some wait it out - the temperature doesn't change, so getting back in the water after the storm isn't going to make anyone sick!

Note to self: All the outdoor rides in the morning. Save the shows for the afternoon. My bf has a waterproof kayaking bag so we will take that and keep our phones in there to keep it from getting wet in the rain or on the water rides. I've been to DLR in the rain and it's pretty much deserted but when it rains here its cold and gloomy with rain on and off all day so I wear a heavy sweatshirt under the poncho and waterproof hiking boots to keep my feet warm and dry. Florida rain actually sounds very warm like I experienced in Hawaii so should we wear exercise clothes/shorts tank top and lightweight sandals so they dry faster? We might not mind getting wet if it's hot outside.

Last edited:

BrerJon

Note to self: All the outdoor rides in the morning. Save the shows for the afternoon. My bf has a waterproof kayaking bag so we will take that and keep our phones in there to keep it from getting wet in the rain or on the water rides. I've been to DLR in the rain and it's pretty much deserted but when it rains here its cold and gloomy with rain on and off all day so I wear a heavy sweatshirt under the poncho and waterproof hiking boots to keep my feet warm and dry. Florida rain actually sounds very warm like I experienced in Hawaii so should we wear exercise clothes/shorts tank top and lightweight sandals so they dry faster? We might not mind getting wet if it's hot outside.

Oh yes you don't need to worry about changing clothes when it rains. You'll certainly have no need for a sweatshirt, that's for sure! Most people are in shorts/T-shirts for the day and when the rain comes just go inside the stores or an attraction for a while. Even if you get a bit wet you'll dry very quickly once the sun comes out again, and with high humidity it can sometimes even be refreshing. It's definitely closer to Hawaii than California in terms of climate.

Here's a video that shows you the weather at it's worst - you'll see even though everyone has a poncho, underneath they're all in summer clothes as it's still warm.

CamiCan

Original Poster
Oh yes you don't need to worry about changing clothes when it rains. You'll certainly have no need for a sweatshirt, that's for sure! Most people are in shorts/T-shirts for the day and when the rain comes just go inside the stores or an attraction for a while. Even if you get a bit wet you'll dry very quickly once the sun comes out again, and with high humidity it can sometimes even be refreshing. It's definitely closer to Hawaii than California in terms of climate.

Here's a video that shows you the weather at it's worst - you'll see even though everyone has a poncho, underneath they're all in summer clothes as it's still warm.

A lot of people in the park in the rain. On a day with that much rain at DLR, even Toy Story Mania would be walk on! Anyway, we're determined to have fun no matter what the weather. It's sure nice to be able to pack just lightweight clothes and not worry about sweatshirts and stuff- can fit a lot more outfits in one suitcase. Is it okay to wear those shorts and tank tops/exercise clothes at the higher end restaurants at Epcot or do people dress up when they go out to dinner? I'm learning towards bringing a couple of nice summer dresses just for eating out.

BrerJon

Don't worry there's no dress code at most restaurants. At the very most exclusive, such as those in the Grand Floridian, they like you to be smart, but at park restaurants people will wear anything - the heat in Florida means they don't expect people to spend the whole day suited and booted just because they have a reservation in the evening.

Of course you can always go back to the hotel mid afternoon to change, which is what many people do, then come back for the evening.

BrerJon

A lot of people in the park in the rain. On a day with that much rain at DLR, even Toy Story Mania would be walk on!

The difference is that would be a rainy day at DLR, so they would know in the morning the weather would be bad, whereas in Orlando that rain storm probably lasted a couple of hours at most, and it would have been bright and sunny in the morning, so you get a lot more people in the parks.

I'm not saying you don't get rainy afternoons now and again, you do, but they're fairly rare and your problem is far more likely to be avoiding sunburn than getting wet!

RonAnnArbor

You can never really follow the weather reports. IN general, it rains in mid afternoon -- sometimes for 5 minutes sometimes for a half hour...it rarely rains all day -- in fact, in my hundreds of days in the parks over the past thirty years I think there was one day where it rained all day....When the weather report says 60% chance of rain, that means there is a 60% chance of rain AT SOME POINT during the day, not all day long.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom