weather in december?

Sansaarai

Account Suspended
I went the week before Christmas. It was beautiful. Mid 70s and one day it was in the low 80s. Now to us Buffalo folks, thats paradise. Its also a great time to go for all the Christmas decorations.

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

Originally posted by Misskitten
does it get cold at all?

Yes, but it can be down-right hot too. We were there Dec 2001 and the our first 5-6 days it was upper 70's and 80's every day (and humid too). It cooled off the last few days with highs in the upper 60's and lower 70's. For once we got the good weather and missed the bad.

Sansarii, beat me in.

Upvote 0

Maria

Originally posted by Misskitten
does it get cold at all?

IT DOES!!! I´m not kidding you!

Orlando is very humid, so add that to a cold temperature and an even lower wind chill and you freeze! It reaches the low 30´s, or below zero celsius if you know about that, but extremely humid. Get prepared!;) Specially for Epcot and AK.... ;) The coldest month however, was January in my experience...

Upvote 0

TURKEY

It all depends on the weather but also on the time of the month.

This past week before Christmas-week after New Year's it was downright COLD, especially at night.

I worked outside at the ODF carts in front of American Gardens Theatre in Epcot. I was wearing a toboggan, gloves, and a heavy pea coat. I was freezing. I had my hands in cold water selling soft drinks and had wind coming off of the water.

Inside records were set for numbers of hot clam chowders, hot chocolate, and coffee were sold. They were bringing in several cases of hot chocolate per day instead of weekly. Even with that much, most of the resturants were running very low.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

Yes it can get cold, but it can also be very warm. The weather is always changing.

Here is my advice...don't ride the MK ferry in the morning. The wind is a killer.

Upvote 0

howlin_mad

As a general rule for December you can expect daytime highs to reach into the 70's, and the night lows can go into the 30's. Once the sun drops watch out for the wind, especially around water. If you're not prepared the wind chill can get cold enough to ruin anybody's vacation.

Maria - First, Florida's humidity is actually going to keep the temperatures slightly higher than dry areas. The warmer an air molecule is, then the more moisture it can hold. Thus areas with high humidity (80-90%) are going to be a lot warmer than areas with low humidity (20-20%). Second, it's wind chill, not windshield.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
Early December is usually beautiful. The weeks around Christmas can be iffy. Plan on bringing a jacket for evenings/early morning any time after mid-November. (I usually bring a lightweight jacet in the summertime, too. The A/C can be downright polar, especially if you're at all wet from a rainstorm/wet ride.)

Upvote 0

Maria

Originally posted by howlin_mad

Maria - First, Florida's humidity is actually going to keep the temperatures slightly higher than dry areas. The warmer an air molecule is, then the more moisture it can hold. Thus areas with high humidity (80-90%) are going to be a lot warmer than areas with low humidity (20-20%). Second, it's wind chill, not windshield.

I understand about the humidity, I live in a humid place too. But I have experienced cold weather in a dry place and the same temperature in a humid place, and when you are in the humid place, no matter how thick your coat is, u are still freezing because it gets to your bones! You need to wear something really close to your body. That´s what I was referring to.

Thank you for the correction. I noticed it when you wrote it on your first paragraph and was going to change it when I read your second one. I got mixed up. ;)

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
Originally posted by Maria

I understand about the humidity, I live in a humid place too. But I have experienced cold weather in a dry place and the same temperature in a humid place, and when you are in the humid place, no matter how thick your coat is, u are still freezing because it gets to your bones! You need to wear something really close to your body. That´s what I was referring to.

I understood what you meant. I grew up in New England (cold and damp) but have spent time skiing in Colorado & Utah for the last 15 years or so...there's a big difference in how you feel at the same temperature! Also,my Texas relatives can't tolerate our summers, even though the temperature is generally lower.

Upvote 0

howlin_mad

Originally posted by Maria
I understand about the humidity, I live in a humid place too. But I have experienced cold weather in a dry place and the same temperature in a humid place, and when you are in the humid place, no matter how thick your coat is, u are still freezing because it gets to your bones! You need to wear something really close to your body.

There are times when humid places get cold (cold fronts can hit almost anywhere in the U.S. during the winter), but overall humid, cool areas should make you feel warmer than dry, cool places. The same is true when measuring an area's heat index during the summer. The hot, humid areas in Florida will actually feel hotter than the hot, dry areas in the deserts in the U.S. southwest and in Mexico. For example, an area in central Florida at 96ºF with 90% relative humidity will feel hotter to you than a desert area in Death Valley, CA at 110ºF and 10% relative humidity.

As for the cold getting to your bones, the best thing to do is to dress in layers. Air will be trapped in the layers and be heated by your body heat. The more layers you wear, then the warmer you'll feel. Therefore you can wear a couple of layers of loose fitting clothes/sweatshirts and actually be warmer than an identical person just wearing a coat really close to their body.

Upvote 0

sigsegv

We were there during the first week of December 2000. It was warm during the days and cool at night. Bring shorts, jeans, and a sweatshirt of two (unless you need an excuse to get one/some there ;))

--sig

Upvote 0

Lance

I've been 3 times during the last two weeks of Dec(christmas and New Years).

Christmas 2000, I thought it was a lot like the Desert......it was beautiful during the days, then it got rather chilly during the nite.

I will say this, I went swimming almost every day.

Upvote 0

Jodigrl328

I went once in december. The first two days it was 80 degrees and we wore shorts. The rest of the trips we wore layers of t-shirts and sweatshirts and had to buy tossle caps and gloves. The trip was wonderful though and I am planning another trip for december! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

Your best bet is to keep checking the weather before you go. There are tons of internet sites with current weather and historical trends.

We were there in January (January 1-6th) and we had highs in the 50's. This means that it is 40-ish most of the time. We were prepared with winter coats and were comfortable. However, there were people there in shorts and sweatshirts being miserable.

The next week, it was 70.

Ya never know.

Do your homework.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom