Trip Report We Kept Genie in the Lamp *COMPLETED*

50 years later, what goes around comes around.

Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom opened in 1971 with an admission charge and an attraction ticket system. Admission got you into the park (and onto the free If You Had Wings, sponsored by Eastern Airlines) but every ride required a separate ticket (A,B,C,D,E) which varied in price based on the attraction’s “value.” E-tickets were the most expensive (this is where the expression “it’s an E-ticket ride!” originated) and cost 90 cents apiece. Ticket books bundled A-E together for a reduced cost, but there were never enough E’s (and always leftover A’s and B’s.) Not to worry though ~ each land had its own ticket booth (think tiny kiosk) where individual attraction tickets could be purchased (assuming your parents said yes. 😉)

This was the system for over a decade. The introduction of all-day Passports (and eventual Park Hoppers) was a welcome relief for guests ~ ride what you want as many times as you want for no additional cost. Yes, you had to wait in line. Lines that often were very long. But it was a SIMPLE system.

When Fastpass was introduced at the turn of the century, it required some strategic planning and lots of extra walking to obtain the paper FPs in order to “skip” a line. Fastpass+ exacerbated strategic planning to a whole ‘nother level. But it was a FREE system.

Genie, Genie+, Lightning Lane and Individual Lightning Lane have thrown SIMPLE and FREE out the window. And now in 2021, we’re back to admission and paying for attractions.

But not us.

At least not this trip.

This vacation was a respite for me as I grieve the recent loss of my father. It was a time for memories and nostalgia. A time for keeping things simple.

I’m ready to share if you’re ready to read.

Who: Tuvalu and Woody
When: October 22-29, 2021
Where: Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort

E56222A6-3666-4F9B-91B8-9CA5F00EB7BD.jpeg

If you’d like to read about my very first trip to Walt Disney World:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
It prompted me to record Woody’s reaction to his No Way José. :hilarious:
YUM!! :hungry:
My chocolate marshmallow sundae had the BEST topping-to-ice cream ratio and I had no regrets eating it all.
Another YUM!!! :joyfull:

Woody and I inched our way towards Future World. (Until the Wallcot refurbishment is completed I will continue to refer to the front of the park as Future World, not whatever those new names are.) Wait times for Figment, Soarin’ and LWTL were ridiculous. I suggested checking out Mouse Gear’s replacement….Creations Shop.

What a boring, unimaginative name. And what a dull gift shop. Mouse Gear was Epcot’s flagship store and had a distinctive layout with lots of different merchandise. Always a must do for me when in Epcot. Creations Shop immediately became a must don’t.

Such a disappointment.

That section of EPCOT will always be referred to as Future World, to me. :cool:

From what you shared, I don't care for the changes to Mouse Gear either. :cautious: I used to love that store.

The saving grace for the night was this little beauty….
Really happy about this, along with the (retro) gorgeous entrance pillars. (So glad they brought those back!) The front entrance of EPCOT looks beautiful again. ❤️

onesandzeros

I’ve got a housekeeper story from my October ’21 stay at Riverside. I returned to my room around 3PM and it hadn’t been serviced. I put on my swimsuit and headed to the pool. Returned around 5PM and found a “Room Occupied” sign on the door and the room wasn’t serviced. I didn’t put the sign there and it wasn’t there when I left for the pool. At “10PM” there’s a knock on the door and a housekeeper tells me she needs to “inspect” the room (inspect not service). I understand the need for these room inspections, but at 10PM?

Last edited:

Loco_driver

I’ve got a housekeeper story from my October ’21 stay at Riverside. I returned to my room around 3PM and it hadn’t been serviced. I put on my swimsuit and headed to the pool. Returned around 5PM and found a “Room Occupied” sign on the door and the room wasn’t serviced. I didn’t put the sign there and it wasn’t there when I left for the pool. A “10PM” there’s a knock on the door and a housekeeper tells me she needs to “inspect” the room (inspect not service). I understand the need for these room inspections, but at 10PM?
I probably wouldn’t have been very polite at 10PM. I have started just calling housekeeping before we leave to ask for more wash rags or towels or whatever we inevitability need. This seems to work pretty well for letting them come “inspect” without me being in the room.

lindawdw

I'm glad that B&C were able to accommodate you for dinner after your unexpected late arrival! There is nothing worse that wet clothes and air conditioning.
Freezing GIF
I absolutely loved the new light show on Spaceship Earth and found myself totally enthralled while watching the colors change!!! I am not a big fan of the new Harmonius for two reasons: 1) the barges are such an eyesore both day and night and 2) the storyline just didn't move me like Illuminations did when the Globe would spin its story! Sorry the World Showcase was so crowded this evening. The monorail ride back to the Poly certainly sounded wonderful!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I’ve got a housekeeper story from my October ’21 stay at Riverside. I returned to my room around 3PM and it hadn’t been serviced. I put on my swimsuit and headed to the pool. Returned around 5PM and found a “Room Occupied” sign on the door and the room wasn’t serviced. I didn’t put the sign there and it wasn’t there when I left for the pool. A “10PM” there’s a knock on the door and a housekeeper tells me she needs to “inspect” the room (inspect not service). I understand the need for these room inspections, but at 10PM?
season 6 giant squidward GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

I probably wouldn’t have been very polite at 10PM. I have started just calling housekeeping before we leave to ask for more wash rags or towels or whatever we inevitability need. This seems to work pretty well for letting them come “inspect” without me being in the room.
Seth Meyers Omg GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Monday, October 25

Woody was up sick in the middle of the night. He had taken on the No Way José and lost.

I was very quiet when I awakened so that he could rest. I didn’t even utter a sound after securing a boarding group for Ratatouille. When Woody began to stir around 8, I went to get us breakfast.

FEB05991-57D9-401C-ADA6-638286E95F7E.jpeg

Mobile ordering was still encouraged (and probably will always be) but there was a cast member at the register each time I was in Capt. Cook’s.

94427750-4044-4989-9B61-702ADF65C182.jpeg

I do wonder if we will ever see plated food on trays again or if we are doomed to cardboard box takeaways forever.

I am happy that beverage stations are back to self service.

6107C486-1FA3-422E-812A-95608F66C2B6.jpeg

The coffee urns were decked out for the 50th celebration.

A3039DF3-73C9-4C27-A7B2-020653BFE9E0.jpeg

I will get on my soapbox for a moment to complain that the kids breakfast does not have regular scrambled eggs. There isn’t even a way (on the app at least) to order a side of scrambled eggs. I am not a big breakfast eater so the adult bounty platter ~ with scrambled eggs ~ is too much food. The kids option an “egg white scramble” which I ordered since I wanted eggs.

I pulled this picture from the app. Mine did not look like this. The egg whites tasted like rubber and had definitely been fried (I dislike fried eggs.) But if this is supposed to be the kids’ “Mickey check” meal (the healthy choice), wouldn’t the ham and cheese negate that? Are egg yolks that much worse for a kid than ham and cheese?

032A8718-A1F7-4EA1-B39C-4BD286832A20.jpeg

I had to eat both bags of purse grapes that came with it, as I couldn’t stomach the scramble.

lindawdw

Sorry that Woody felt ill during the night from the No Way Jose! I can actually relate because the one and only time I ordered that from B&C (because so many people rave about it) I felt sick for a couple of days from it. Needless to say, I've never had the desire to order it again. :oops: The kids egg white certainly does not look appealing with the fake looking ham! :rolleyes:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Woody felt better after breakfast but we didn’t rush to get to Epcot. Our only “must-do” was Rat, and our approximate ride time wasn’t until 2 pm. (We’d later learn that our definition of approximate and Disney’s was not the same.)

We walked to the TTC to catch the monorail. We ended up riding gold again!

The line for the Passholder entrance was blocked by this obviously befuddled family. Notice the sunshine? Little did I know when I took the picture it would be the last of the sun that we’d see for awhile!

52C283B7-E001-4BC6-8C15-CB7005553383.jpeg

This planter felt cluttered and unimaginative to me.

EA15D616-036E-427B-A661-A6534278BBDD.jpeg

We played classic tourists and got in line for Spaceship Earth first.

D0D48042-B75D-4ADD-87A5-F960C5F35003.jpeg

In under ten minutes we were onboard.

814162B6-F865-488D-82B2-EECD6AB9D363.jpeg

Why this picture? I have no idea. I know at the time I had a reason, but it has escaped me.

7E9D02F9-26DE-4B2D-9248-7250EE7971CF.jpeg

But I know why I took this one. For @tonystark and her girl crushin’. 😉

77A9C3E8-9C35-42A8-91A1-6DD7C3C5006D.jpeg

Sorry it’s blurry and out of focus @tonystark ~ it’s the best I could do!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
There was only one exit in use at SSE, the one near the Living Seas. Fortunately for us we wanted to visit the Land next so we did not have far to go.

Since @tonystark had broken LWTL on her trip in August….mere days before Woody and I were to arrive….riding this attraction was a priority!

Wondering if this plexiglass will ever go away….

7A728A78-8701-40FF-84DD-00241A14F64B.jpeg

As you can tell from my awesome action shot above, the line moved continuously. Our wait was minimal. And after being denied the opportunity to ride in August, we were rewarded today with front row seats. #ShirleyStatus

B027FC84-67AA-4F30-8265-B7EEDDEC0194.jpeg

Wait, what’s this? A scrim?!!

5907463F-4F12-4ECB-9669-9F96C9DB2346.jpeg

TWO SCRIMS?!!

BDA01F10-A7C5-48BA-97D6-A1181BB73915.jpeg

Sigh. Can’t blame @tonystark for these. At least we were able to ride, despite the poor scrim show.

Christmas lights adorned the tunnel but wouldn’t be turned on for another month.

3FB61822-E77E-41D8-80BA-501C17FC0B3B.jpeg

It was still fall, y’all.

980EDF8E-71DE-4CB6-9954-50A1F5E7E56F.jpeg

08C436F6-FD4A-4BBA-9FFA-595D591AEFAB.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
We didn’t feel like waiting 40 minutes for Soarin’ ~ mainly because we’d checked the forecast and rain was due. We wanted to get to our lunch destination without be the drowned rats we’d been the night before!

Thought we could sneak in a ride here first since there was no wait.

5FBE90DE-3E61-4FDF-94E1-0BCD0EB67701.jpeg

Got stopped here for a bit.

C8B59E60-F3C5-4EBC-B77B-6DD8190ABAAA.jpeg

Never noticed this before in the post show area. Was it a meet and greet that never happened due to the pandemic?

8D642254-DD7A-49AB-8CBE-4EB8BB820770.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
We may have pressed our luck by deciding to stop and see Figment. The rain clouds had descended…..and so had the crowds! :jawdrop:

D689CD59-1422-4C4F-A209-1DB1F3792439.jpeg

Not sure which scared us more!

63743023-5A0E-4A64-A004-D2AFC749B385.jpeg

OK it was this.

36E21816-C22F-4023-BADC-9F3C7455D1D3.jpeg

You made us do Imagination and now we’re all wet!”

Those weren’t his actual words. But I thought it made for a funny caption! (Woody rarely complains about my choices at Disney.)

I was mad at myself. We’d lingered too long and were caught in another monsoon. And we hadn’t reached our lunch location yet.

B7284483-6118-4DB1-B46E-CDD6FD32C797.jpeg

DD931AAE-153D-481B-AAF7-6AA1E0CF45D0.jpeg

lindawdw

So glad that Woody bounced back and was able to enjoy Epcot even in the rain! I totally agree with you about the planters at the entrance for F&W!!! I hope the showers passed quickly for you on this day!

MickeyCB

What a boring, unimaginative name. And what a dull gift shop. Mouse Gear was Epcot’s flagship store and had a distinctive layout with lots of different merchandise. Always a must do for me when in Epcot. Creations Shop immediately became a must don’t.
Totally agree with you! Was my assessment as well.
Why do they need to keep messing with things?!

Another one, It will forever be Downtown Disney for me. I loved sitting on the busses at night and hearing the recording saying something along the lines of "You're on your way to Downtown Disney". Still gives me goosebumps.

lindawdw

Totally agree with you! Was my assessment as well.
Why do they need to keep messing with things?!

Another one, It will forever be Downtown Disney for me. I loved sitting on the busses at night and hearing the recording saying something along the lines of "You're on your way to Downtown Disney". Still gives me goosebumps.
I totally agree with you! I loved the recordings om the bus too! I question so many changes that they have done lately at WDW!

Minnesota disney fan

Tuvalu: I hate to say it.....But Woody's expression of surprise is suprisingly like his usual expression, LOL!
My husband hates to drive in Orlando and WDW, too, so we do the bus and taxi thing!
Enjoying your trip report alot. I love, love the pic's of Spaceship Earth's new light show. What a beautiful sight!
I loved the old Mouse Gears store too. It always had alot of merchandise to choose from. One vacation, I wanted a WDW 2013 hooded zippered sweatshirt. I couldn't find it anywhere, but happened to go to MG and found it there:) It is one of my favorite hoodies.
I hope the weather straightened up for you guys and things get better at WDW for you.
Can't wait to hear how not using genie worked out.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sorry that Woody felt ill during the night from the No Way Jose! I can actually relate because the one and only time I ordered that from B&C (because so many people rave about it) I felt sick for a couple of days from it. Needless to say, I've never had the desire to order it again. :oops:
Mary Tyler Moore Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

I hope the showers passed quickly for you on this day!
If only.

Raining African Cats GIF by Nat Geo Wild

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom