We Booked, now need info on AK Lodge

slowbee

YEAH!!!!! We booked last night for our December Trip to WDW. This time we're staying at the AK Lodge.

My question is to those who have stayed there... is it worth upgrading to a Sevanah View room.. I'm currently booked in a standard room (Only room available thru AA last night). I heard that it can be one long walk if you're out along one of the wings back to the parking lot. I have three girls, with two of them being younger than 3, so having to carry two young ones back to a room that's on the other side of the country can be a hassle.

Any advice would be helpful.

sleepybear

Definitely upgrade to a savannah view room and request the arusha savannah (the one in the middle). Yes, there are plenty of places at the lodge to view animals, but there's nothing like stepping out on your balcony in the morning and seeing zebra or giraffes mere yards away.

Upvote 0

maelstrom

We could definitely see a building/barn from our room. They led the animals in there each morning and they'd stay in there for I don't know how long. This was on the sunset savanna. We also had a great view of construction.

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
We were there in mid-June, and yes it was hotter than blazes. We were told the animals didn't like the heat and would retreat to someplace away from where people could actually see them. Even in the main savannah from public viewing areas we saw animals only twice and it was so dark we could barely see them.

My thought is if you are assured of seeing animal and you still want to stay at AKL you should get a parking lot view. At least then you can watch cars go by.

Yea, like I said, when it's hot, they act just like us human...they get the heck out of the sun. Unfourtuanatly that means in the back of the savannas or sometimes they will stay in the barns.

The Wildlife managers have told us that if the animals do not want to return to the savanna's they don't make them. So they could be there too.

But you know, I've seen them all hide away on hot days at the AK ride too. That's why it's the first thing you should do when going to AK as well.

Running a zoo and getting wild animals to do what you want is not an easy thing to do. Plus Disney treats there animals better than most people treat there most precious thing they own. They take no chances with their health and well being. What the animal wants, they get. And if they want to hide away, they let them.

We go in October every year, so the weather is in the 80's and cool in the mornings and evenings. It's usally overcast most days as well, so that's why we've probebly had more luck in seeing more animals.

Upvote 0
Yea, like I said, when it's hot, they act just like us human...they get the heck out of the sun. Unfourtuanatly that means in the back of the savannas or sometimes they will stay in the barns.

The Wildlife managers have told us that if the animals do not want to return to the savanna's they don't make them. So they could be there too.

But you know, I've seen them all hide away on hot days at the AK ride too. That's why it's the first thing you should do when going to AK as well.

Running a zoo and getting wild animals to do what you want is not an easy thing to do. Plus Disney treats there animals better than most people treat there most precious thing they own. They take no chances with their health and well being. What the animal wants, they get. And if they want to hide away, they let them.

We go in October every year, so the weather is in the 80's and cool in the mornings and evenings. It's usally overcast most days as well, so that's why we've probebly had more luck in seeing more animals.

I makes me wonder why Disney doesn't offer a steep discount on prices during the hotest months. I mean what the point of an Animal Kingdom Lodge if you don't get animals. I can only hope that no one wanting to see animals makes the mistake of going during a hot time of the year.

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
I makes me wonder why Disney doesn't offer a steep discount on prices during the hotest months. I mean what the point of an Animal Kingdom Lodge if you don't get animals. I can only hope that no one wanting to see animals makes the mistake of going during a hot time of the year.

:) You know, my wife always says a similar thing. Why don't we get discounts in October since all the parks close earlier, less lines are open on the rides, and everything is always under construction or being referbed.

Disney does like us people who just give them our money.... :)

Upvote 0

shanny

i will be there in august, with a pool view. very close to the lobby/pools/busses. we wont have time to really sit on our balcony and enjoy the animals in the am or pm. wake up, get ready, go to the parks, come home sleep. though i will find time to go out to one of the viewing areas! besides, we are already strapped for money, the pool view room is very nice and cost us about 1500 less!!

Upvote 0

cybertheo

Ok - I have a question - I have searched for the answer before asking - but couldn't find it and instead of a new post this seems like a good post to ask it in... 'enuff already on with the ?

I would like to book a room in Oct at AKL but was wondering how the conversion to of the rooms to DVC was effecting the resort as far as 'unsightly' construction and noise. I know Disney will do their best to keep it under the radar but I wonder what the report from ya'll is...

So - How is the construction at AKL effecting the joint?

Thanks! And if this has been answered please point me in the right direction...

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
I can't answer you directly, but other posts on this site and others says durning the day it can be quiet to loud during the day only. Nothing at night. I belive one person said nothing on the weekends either.

But this is all second hand info, since I don't return till Oct either. I still think it will be nice though. Been at Poly when they began the remodel years ago, and visited while it was under remodel. It was a bit unsigtly, but still livable.

But from all accounts I've read, it's not bad at all.

Have fun!

Upvote 0
Ok - I have a question - I have searched for the answer before asking - but couldn't find it and instead of a new post this seems like a good post to ask it in... 'enuff already on with the ?

I would like to book a room in Oct at AKL but was wondering how the conversion to of the rooms to DVC was effecting the resort as far as 'unsightly' construction and noise. I know Disney will do their best to keep it under the radar but I wonder what the report from ya'll is...

So - How is the construction at AKL effecting the joint?

Thanks! And if this has been answered please point me in the right direction...

Construction can be nothing to some people and a complete disaster to others. We were at the Contemporary while construction was going on and my only complaint was the parking was effected... I heard some people complaining because they could see the consctuction... some lik my kids probably didn't even notice.

The bottom line is it depends on you and what you expect out of your trip. By the fact that your writing the post you sound concerned. Since it is your vacation and since AKL will continue to be there for years to come, consider staying somewhere else if your having any reservations about how it might affect your stay. It isn't like AKL is the only resort there... and you can still visit it whether you stay at another Disney resort or the motel 6 in Orlando. You may find people that say its no big deal and can find some that will claim it ruined their stay... why take a chance.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom