We are going to TDR and have pressing questions

HongKongFu

Original Poster
Hi gang,

I know some of you on here are seasoned and might be able to help with a few questions. We will be staying on property at Hilton for 3 nights Dec 1, 2 and 3. Myself, 2 year old daughter, elder mom and wife.

1) does either monorail or Disney bus transport operate much earlier than park openings? I hear stories of locals showing up 90 minutes before gate opening and I want to be there with them for the early am mad dash to get fast passes.

2) since I'm the fastest in our party am I allowed to take the other two parks tickets of Mom and Wife and secure Fast Passes just like the early days of getting FP's at WDW( before My Magic )

3) Big Band Beat. This is an absolute must for Mom. Is there a standby as well as lottery? Or lottery only. Forecasts call for average day of crowds for TDR on Dec 2 and 3(Mon and Tues). Does anyone know the general odds of getting lottery picked on average day of attendance? We would have 3 chances to win Mom a seat, right? Since there are 3 paid tickets in our party.....is that correct?

4) I'm guessing that for locals the most coveted FP at Disneyland is Pooh, then Monsters Flashlight, then Splash Mount? Does that sound fair? And at Disney Sea Toy Story Mania first and foremost then Journey To Center Hightower Hotel below that???

5) is the volcano still "erupting" during the maintenance on Mount Prometheus? I know the mountain is having over a year long maintenance and was wondering if it still shoots fire during this time since the work is performed well below the top. Is the fire on some days and off others depending on the positioning of the scaffolding and which sections they're working on.??

6) is outside food allowed in parks?

Thanks thanks 😊

Last edited:

Magic Feather

Hi gang,

I know some of you on here are seasoned and might be able to help with a few questions. We will be staying on property at Hilton for 3 nights Dec 1, 2 and 3. Myself, 2 year old daughter, elder mom and wife.

1) does either monorail or Disney bus transport operate much earlier than park openings? I hear stories of locals showing up 90 minutes before gate opening and I want to be there with them for the early am mad dash to get fast passes.

2) since I'm the fastest in our party am I allowed to take the other two parks tickets of Mom and Wife and secure Fast Passes just like the early days of getting FP's at WDW( before My Magic )

3) Big Band Beat. This is an absolute must for Mom. Is there a standby as well as lottery? Or lottery only. Forecasts call for average day of crowds for TDR on Dec 2 and 3(Mon and Tues). Does anyone know the general odds of getting lottery picked on average day of attendance? We would have 3 chances to win Mom a seat, right? Since there are 3 paid tickets in our party.....is that correct?

4) I'm guessing that for locals the most coveted FP at Disneyland is Pooh, then Monsters Flashlight, then Splash Mount? Does that sound fair? And at Disney Sea Toy Story Mania first and foremost then Journey To Center Hightower Hotel below that???

5) is the volcano still "erupting" during the maintenance on Mount Prometheus? I know the mountain is having over a year long maintenance and was wondering if it still shoots fire during this time since the work is performed well below the top. Is the fire on some days and off others depending on the positioning of the scaffolding and which sections they're working on.??

6) is outside food allowed in parks?

Thanks thanks 😊
1) Yes, it does begin running well before park open. Just the schedule the day of your visit just to be sure.
2) Yes you can, and take advantage of it! When I went, a I often ran a fast pass while everyone else began to leisurely walk to the first stand-by attraction, and it worked great! No stress on the kids, but we still got what we wanted.
3) Big Band Best offers the Lottery, which is hit or miss (as a lottery system is). If you are a bit too worried about the lottery, usually the first performance of the day is standby, and (I think, but it’s been a while) the balcony is usually always standby.
4)TDR- Monsters>Pooh>Big Thunder/Splash (Seasonally Depending)
TDS- Soarin>Toy Story>Journey>Tower>Indiana Jones>SeaRider>Raging Spirits>20,000 Leagues (If Available)> Magic Lamp/Mermaid Theater (If Available
5)Unsure of where the scaffolding will be in December, but my inclination is No for safety reasons.
6) Unsure.

Animaniac93-98

Big Band Beat is first come, first served for the earliest show of the day. Get there 60-90 minutes before show time. They start seating people inside about 30 minutes before show time.

HongKongFu

Original Poster
Magic Feather, you answered in outstanding fashions--- a most excellent response!! Thanks thanks

And Animaniac you helped out very nicely too. Thanks

HongKongFu

Original Poster
By the way I totally forgot that OLC dropped Soarin' in there. Yep, I could easily see that being the biggest am rush, followed by the hot ticket Toy Story: locals go loco for that one two punch.......fortunately for me they are more or less exact duplicates of the two I've seen several times over in Anaheim and WDW. So while 75% of the horde turns left I'm heading to volcano.
We'll be out of the starting gate and doing a beeline to Journey To Center for 2 consecutive rides and then Hightower Hotel...... IJ will be 3rd ride on then 20k Leagues and Sindbad last of the heavy hitters.

PiratesMansion

I would prioritize TOT before Journey with FP, in my experience TOT will run out of FP faster, unless that's changing because of Soarin's proximity to JTTCOE.

HongKongFu

Original Poster
I would prioritize TOT before Journey with FP, in my experience TOT will run out of FP faster, unless that's changing because of Soarin's proximity to JTTCOE.

It's been 10+ years since my last visit to TDR so I have forgotten many details but now that you say that I do seem to remember Hightower running out of FP's faster than Journey. I think you're right.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom