Pre-Trip We are family...I got all my cousins with me

I was going to wait to start a pre-trip report since we haven't even booked yet, but we're GOING to, and part of the hold up is waiting to hear when the rest of the family wants to go and can, and who will be with us. So...details will change as I get them. For now:
Who: My family of 4, consisting of DH (Mark), myself (Susan), DD (E) who will be 13, and DS (A) who will be 11.
cinderella dinner.jpg

My brother and his family, consisting of Him (J) and his Husband (also J, so I will collectively call them JJ) and their daughter (N) who will be 6, and also possibly his in-laws...(brother in-law and parents-in-law) All from Wyoming So, JJ, N, the parents-in-law D and S, and their other son R. My brother is paying for them to go because they have done a LOT for our family. They are amazing people and I am so excited to get to share this with them. I think they will be hooked. If nothing else, they will love the nightlife. But they have treated me like a daughter from day one....like I come with the package, and they helped us out so much last year when my dad died, and they are just so much fun. I don't think I have any pictures of them unless it's from drag queen bingo. Nope...but I raided my brother's pictures and here's one of their family at Mount Rushmore. Granny S must be taking the picture.
nessa vacation.jpg

And My family plus JJ and N at the Mammoth site in South Dakota)
mammoth site family.jpg

And also my cousins. My cousin has kids my age, all with their own families, so if everyone in their family comes there are like....13 of them? My cousin and his girlfriend, together known as Jimger, his oldest son B and his 2 boys and possibly a new girlfriend....I think his oldest will be 9, and youngest maybe 7?, his daughter C and her boyfriend and daughter who will be...,8? and then his youngest M and his wife and 2 girls....the oldest will I think be 12, and the youngest maybe 5 or 6? From Iowa and Illinois (Picture is my family, JJ and N, Jimger, C and her daughter L at Mount Rushmore before my 4 went to Disney in 2016)
mount rushmore family.jpg

When: July 20th 2019 for 2 weeks at Disney, and then probably a week in Orlando doing Universal, and other places. (varying depending on who) My kids' last day of school is July 19th, so the 20th is the earliest possible date for us to arrive. 2 or 3 of the cousins are teachers and have to be back in Mid August, so we can't go very late. My brother's family will be there for 1 week.

Where: My family and my brother's will be at CBR, the cousins are looking at Airbnb. My family will also be doing a 4 or 5 night package at Universal for Harry Potter, and then some other places we need to look into. The rest, I have no idea if they are just thinking Disney or a bit of everything.

Why: Well, why not? Basically, we have the money to go again, so we're booking and my cousin's daughter C found out we were going and she was semi-planning as well, but didn't have a timeline and mentioned we should coordinate. Jimger both quit smoking this past year after a health scare, and are wanting to celebrate with a trip to Disney, but none of them have been there since I was around 9 or 10 I guess. So they are a bit out of touch with what it's like now. And if the whole famn damily is getting together, we want my brother's family to be there too. The added bonus being my brother-in-law's birthday and my brother and his husband's anniversary both at the end of July, which we could celebrate at Disney.
So, we could have anywhere between 4 and 25 peolple. The good news is, I only really have to do ALL the planning for my 4. But, the rest have either never been to Disney, or haven't been there in decades (Pre- MGM and AK) and really have no clue about what it is like now. So I am going to be the go-to person, which is why I started this pre-trip now. HELP!!!!!!!
My brother hasn't been since he was 14 I think? Maybe even longer. But he's in his 40s now.

His husband and family are dragging their feet because it's expensive. They have never been there and can't imagine it being worth the price tag. So, he's asking me for ways to save money. So....since they are all American, they can't use the deal I get over here in Europe. So...how do you all save the most money? Is it cheaper to stay off property or rent DVC points? How about the campgrounds? Are there rooms that sleep 6 at any of the resorts or would they need 2 rooms? I've been trying to do a Disney trip with my brother since 2010 and he always backs out because of the money. So I need money saving tips and any incentive that shows how much value you actually get for that money. GO!

Last edited:

Songbird76

Original Poster
More "dramma" as Bee would say. But, it seems to be worked out. Ok, so I think most everyone knows that I'm American, but I married a Dutchie and I now live in the Netherlands. You have to live here for at least 5 years before you become eligible for permanent resident status. I've been here 3 times longer than that, but I had an issue the last time that my permit needed to be renewed. I was in the US when the letter came, and I didn't find it until it was already expired, so I had to get it renewed for another 5 years before I was eligible for permanent. So this time, I as able to apply for a permanent card. YAY! I applied back in November when my 5 year card was just about to expire. I finally got approved 2 weeks ago and was told that I needed to pick up my new card in Zwolle at the Immigration office there, and to make an appointment.
It's tough to make an appointment so far away, because I have to fill in my availability at work several weeks in advance, and then there's the kids' school schedules and such to consider, and if I'm not taking public transportation (which takes FOREVER), my husband also needs to take the day off to drive me there. Yesterday was a holiday, so the kids were both free yesterday and today, as was DH, but the office was closed today, too. But Wednesdays are half days for DS, and DD was free on Wednesday, too, so we made the appointment for late afternoon so we could pick up DS from school and go there to pick up the card.
I needed my passport and a couple of other documents, which I was getting organized on Tuesday afternoon before I went into work, when I looked and noticed my passport expires in January. Most airlines will not allow you to board a plane if your passport will expire within 6 months of your travel dates. This meant I needed a new passport before we go to Disney. But google told me it takes 4-6 weeks for a passport renewal, and we leave in just 7 weeks. I panicked. I sent a link to my husband to print off the renewal form, and started looking for the link to make an appointment at the Consulate. They had one appointment for Wednesday morning at 8:15, and the next wasn't until June 18th, which is too late if it's going to take 4-6 weeks. So I had to make the appointment for the following morning, find a place to get a US passport photo (requirements are different for Dutch passport photos), and get all my documentation together, and I had 2.5 hours in which to do it all before I had to get to work. Divine intervention: I could get the photo done just 2 blocks from my house, so I ran to do that and make photocopies of all my documents. We had to call my son in sick from school, because it's hard to get him to school at 8:30 when we had an appointment an hour and a half drive away at 8:15.
So wednesday: Wake up at 4:00, shower, eat breakfast, wake DS up, 5:00 drive to Oma and Opa's to drop off DS, 5:30 drive to Amsterdam for the 8:15 appointment. (we were there early, but better than getting stuck in traffic and missing the only appointment available!) Turn in all the paperwork....which I had to redo the form because in my nervous state, I had made some mistakes and used white out, which is not allowed. 9:00 drive back to pick DS up and then drive home. Pick up DD, and then drive to Zwolle to pick up my resident card, and then celebrate that we managed it all, by going out for dinner. It was VERY stressful. Thank goodness I needed the passport to pick up my resident card or I'd have never noticed I needed to renew the passport.

So, here's my public service announcement. Check the date on your ID very carefully!! I knew mine expired in 2020, but I hadn't looked at the MONTH. I thought I had plenty of time left on it...for some reason I was thinking June or July, not January. I would have been able to board a plane to Disney, but not to get home again. So check your expiration dates and make sure you do not need to make an emergency trip to go get a new document! I'm fortunate because I had just enough time, and then when I asked at the Consulate, they said 7-10 work DAYS, not 4-6 WEEKS, so it turns out the June 18th date probably would have been ok, but at least we got everything done in one day now, and we can pick it up in a few weeks, in plenty of time for our trip. But I didn't know that ahead of time and it caused me a LOT of anxiety. Better to get it done nice and early so you don't have to stress.

Songbird76

Original Poster
I got a message that my passport is done, (that was fast!) and we are going to pick it up on the 28th, because DS has a day off school that day. So, I got my resident card, will we will all have new passports, DH checked his drivers license to be sure. Yesterday was a good mail day:
62477157_451969045618472_2513916449374863360_n.jpg

Of course we don't get the bands until we arrive at CBR, because we are international. But the skins were so quick!! We ordered from magicyourband.com and got them 2 days after we ordered! I hadn't realized they are a UK based company. We had fun designing our own, and the bottom one was one of their designs that I threw in for my niece because she LOVES to swim.

Today, I picked up the autograph books I had made:

62043903_1177992989047172_4058142636089802752_n.jpg
62062989_445129206064233_5865564208250224640_n.jpg

All balances are now paid in full, passports are all renewed, autograph books, magic band skins, and most of the ears are complete. Fastpasses and ADRs are made. I still need to update some lists. I feel like I'm behind, or forgetting something....I feel completely unorganized, so I think this weekend is going to be checklist time. I'll make sure all our documents are in order and ready to go, lists are made, and I'll go through my stuff to pack to make sure I have it all.

Any suggestions on things to check?

Edited to add: Magical express reservations!! I NEED to make Magical express reservations! And a reservation for the minion breakfast at Universal.

Songbird76

Original Poster
And we finally finished all the Minnie Ears.
62394616_843943429339189_2497767788953731072_n.jpg
62513146_350098382320134_7993378825884925952_n.jpg

So we added one pair of Little Mermaid ears, a generic Under the Sea pair, Anna, Elsa, Tiana, and a bunch of non-themed wire ones. I accidently put the one pair of wire ones with the flower side down in the picture. Oops. They are much cuter than they look in this picture. And the ones with the spiral wire, the first picture I took was pre-flowers, so you can see the finished product after we got the flowers on.

We realized after we finished that we didn't make Aladdin themed ones. We are bumbed that we forgot those, but we have Carrots, Haunted Mansion, Under the Sea, Little Mermaid, Cinderella, Rapunzel, Tiana, Aurora, Belle, Anna, Elsa, Mulan, plus some non-themed ones. DD still needs to finish her Lady and the Tramp ones, and her Winnie the Pooh ones, and she may or may not do a set of Anna ones. We'll see how it goes. We don't have that much longer until our trip, and homework is still the priority.

But, we have our Minion breakfast at Universal booked and paid for, and we have our Magical Express to get TO CBR booked. I just need to fabricate a flight itinerary for the way back so we can get to the airport to pick up the car rental for the non-Disney portion of our trip.

krisri18

And we finally finished all the Minnie Ears.
View attachment 380899View attachment 380900

So we added one pair of Little Mermaid ears, a generic Under the Sea pair, Anna, Elsa, Tiana, and a bunch of non-themed wire ones. I accidently put the one pair of wire ones with the flower side down in the picture. Oops. They are much cuter than they look in this picture. And the ones with the spiral wire, the first picture I took was pre-flowers, so you can see the finished product after we got the flowers on.

We realized after we finished that we didn't make Aladdin themed ones. We are bumbed that we forgot those, but we have Carrots, Haunted Mansion, Under the Sea, Little Mermaid, Cinderella, Rapunzel, Tiana, Aurora, Belle, Anna, Elsa, Mulan, plus some non-themed ones. DD still needs to finish her Lady and the Tramp ones, and her Winnie the Pooh ones, and she may or may not do a set of Anna ones. We'll see how it goes. We don't have that much longer until our trip, and homework is still the priority.

But, we have our Minion breakfast at Universal booked and paid for, and we have our Magical Express to get TO CBR booked. I just need to fabricate a flight itinerary for the way back so we can get to the airport to pick up the car rental for the non-Disney portion of our trip.
Love the ears! The spiral ears are so cute! Nice work!

Songbird76

Original Poster
Almost there.....almost there.

Only one week! I really don't feel nearly as prepared as I was for our last trip. Last time, I felt like a planned just a bit too much and there wasn't enough room for spontaneity. So I didn't want to do that this trip, but I feel under-prepared. I know we'll still have a great trip, no matter what....just keep swimming, I guess!

DD finished her Winnie ears today....they are completely her design and handywork and I had nothing to do with them besides buying the materials.
66638976_2168498126609577_4877338778001211392_n.jpg

Songbird76

Original Poster
The wire ears are to die for!!!❤
Thanks! I made another pair of them today because we still had a headband. I had thought we were done with ears, but then we found the Winnie the Pooh/Piglet tsumtsums DD made, and the Lady and the Tramp ones, and the cut outs for her Anna ears, so we worked on them today. I sewed her Anna ears while she finished up her Winnie ones. Now she just needs to line the headbands for Anna and Lady and the Tramp, and put them all together.

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
Thanks! I made another pair of them today because we still had a headband. I had thought we were done with ears, but then we found the Winnie the Pooh/Piglet tsumtsums DD made, and the Lady and the Tramp ones, and the cut outs for her Anna ears, so we worked on them today. I sewed her Anna ears while she finished up her Winnie ones. Now she just needs to line the headbands for Anna and Lady and the Tramp, and put them all together.
I was thinking of trying my hand at the wire ears for my girls trip in sept. What gauge wire did you use??

Songbird76

Original Poster
I was thinking of trying my hand at the wire ears for my girls trip in sept. What gauge wire did you use??
We used store bought headbands, just plain wire bands. And the wire...I think it's 1mm, maybe 1.5. I have no idea....I bought it at a craft fair a couple of years ago, and I have several colors. I actually bought it to make bracelets and pendants with, and I bought a little hammer and anvil to go with it, and a book of designs. Then I never did anything with it, so we made ears. I hope they survive in the suitcase!!

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
We used store bought headbands, just plain wire bands. And the wire...I think it's 1mm, maybe 1.5. I have no idea....I bought it at a craft fair a couple of years ago, and I have several colors. I actually bought it to make bracelets and pendants with, and I bought a little hammer and anvil to go with it, and a book of designs. Then I never did anything with it, so we made ears. I hope they survive in the suitcase!!
I hope they survive too!!!
They are so amazing/cute/creative!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom