WDWMAGIC Takes the Cake - The Official Cake Talk

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice. I forgot to ask another question. I have seen light up decorations on the top of some cakes (crown, castle etc). Do you know how much these cost and are they suitable for a mini cake?

I've seen everything from the light up decoration being included gratis to people paying an extra $15-20...as well as prices in between. GF is your best bet, but I think the other bakeries 'may' have the capabilities.

Hi guys,
I'm gonna be in WDW in a little over 3 weeks and I want to surprise my sister in law with a birthday cake. I booked breakfast on her birthday at Ohana so that I could use the GF bakery, ( I had a great experience with Pat ordering my villain mini cake last year) but I was wondering if anyone had any original Ariel cake ideas? I'm gonna be ordering the 8" cake. I know I don't want the Ariel topper or any printouts. I was thinking maybe have the cake as her tail and seashells on top. Anyone have any thoughts?

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Hi guys,
I'm gonna be in WDW in a little over 3 weeks and I want to surprise my sister in law with a birthday cake. I booked breakfast on her birthday at Ohana so that I could use the GF bakery, ( I had a great experience with Pat ordering my villain mini cake last year) but I was wondering if anyone had any original Ariel cake ideas? I'm gonna be ordering the 8" cake. I know I don't want the Ariel topper or any printouts. I was thinking maybe have the cake as her tail and seashells on top. Anyone have any thoughts?

The GF is definitely the best bakery for doing uncommon things. I can't really visualize your cake tail idea, but you will likely see a significant price increase if you ask for anything other than a standard round cake. Again...I may just not be understanding the concept. The Ariel idea I had ... fondant done in several shades of blue and turquoise to look like water...edible coral reef pieces starting from the back and sides of the cake to create a coral cove on the top of the cake...some of Ariel's treasure stashed in the cove. If you were to do a message on the cake, it could be some saying involving the word "treasure."

Johnsmom

This is my first time ordering a cake. Thanks to everyone's informative posts I think I have a pretty good idea of what I want.
I called the Art of Animation cake line Friday morning and have not received a call back. How long does it noramlly take to get a response? Also- anyone have any tips for working with the AoA folks? Any advice would be much apprecited.

LynnMc2015

Change of plan! I assumed daughter would want a Princess themed cake but she is now telling me her favourite characters are Stitch and Angel. Have you ever seen them incorporated on a mini cake? I can only find them on larger cakes. Thanks again for your help.

The GF is definitely the best bakery for doing uncommon things. I can't really visualize your cake tail idea, but you will likely see a significant price increase if you ask for anything other than a standard round cake. Again...I may just not be understanding the concept. The Ariel idea I had ... fondant done in several shades of blue and turquoise to look like water...edible coral reef pieces starting from the back and sides of the cake to create a coral cove on the top of the cake...some of Ariel's treasure stashed in the cove. If you were to do a message on the cake, it could be some saying involving the word "treasure."

That sounds like a great idea! Thanks! I'm gonna call Pat and see what we can work out :)

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
This is my first time ordering a cake. Thanks to everyone's informative posts I think I have a pretty good idea of what I want.
I called the Art of Animation cake line Friday morning and have not received a call back. How long does it noramlly take to get a response? Also- anyone have any tips for working with the AoA folks? Any advice would be much apprecited.

Welcome to the boards. There is no set time frame for them to call back. That being said, while I try not to jump the gun and get too impatient, I usually call back if it's been a few days. If it were me, I'd give it until end of business tomorrow and if you don't hear back then, call on Wednesday...maybe at a slightly different time. Alternately, if you're getting down to the wire, call tomorrow. While you don't want to be a pest, you are a customer and I don't think it's unreasonable to get a call back in a day or two. I've never worked directly with AoA, so unfortunately I don't have any experience, but I know other posters have gotten cakes from them...so hopefully you'll get it worked out quickly.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Change of plan! I assumed daughter would want a Princess themed cake but she is now telling me her favourite characters are Stitch and Angel. Have you ever seen them incorporated on a mini cake? I can only find them on larger cakes. Thanks again for your help.

I haven't seen any mini cakes with them, but that doesn't mean they can't do it if they have access to the images. I mean, they appear in cartoons together, so there would be no limits in those regards. Best thing you can do is ask the bakery.

LynnMc2015

I haven't seen any mini cakes with them, but that doesn't mean they can't do it if they have access to the images. I mean, they appear in cartoons together, so there would be no limits in those regards. Best thing you can do is ask the bakery.

Thanks for your previous replies. Do you know if it is possible to get a single tier mini cake from the Contemporary or would it have to be a 6"? I am now thinking about having the Stitch cake as a 'Welcome Back' on our first day in MK and sticking with the Princess 2 tier for her birthday at the GF. Have seen so many fabulous cakes on here I am now getting slightly cake obsessed!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Thanks for your previous replies. Do you know if it is possible to get a single tier mini cake from the Contemporary or would it have to be a 6"? I am now thinking about having the Stitch cake as a 'Welcome Back' on our first day in MK and sticking with the Princess 2 tier for her birthday at the GF. Have seen so many fabulous cakes on here I am now getting slightly cake obsessed!

I have only seen the single tier minis at the GF, but you can ask the contemporary if they can do them. And I can totally understand being cake obsessed! :D

Blairnicol

Hi guys,

You could see if they could do something like this?
ac4401b4ae9d360b3081bcf5a3bb9e10.jpg

You could see if they could do something like this?View attachment 107043

That's kind of how Pat said they were gonna do the cake! The entire cake is gonna be covered in scales, and around the bottom there's gonna be sand, coral, shells and a palm tree. No bra though-she said they couldn't do it. It's gonna be a Red Velvet cake with Bavarian cream filling with fresh strawberries :)

enomi

Hi all, I'm currently working with Sam on a Chip and Dale Cake. I asked for a 6in cake with chocolate ganache icing and caramel milk chocolate filling.
On top it will have 2d cut outs of Chip and Dale along with Happy Birthday message. Got quoted $59.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Hi all, I'm currently working with Sam on a Chip and Dale Cake. I asked for a 6in cake with chocolate ganache icing and caramel milk chocolate filling.
On top it will have 2d cut outs of Chip and Dale along with Happy Birthday message. Got quoted $59.

Sounds great! Can't wait to see pics!

Deebarna

Cake update :)

This first one is a Tangled themed wedding cake. While it's not my idea of making each tier a lantern, I do like that they've incorporated the lanterns in this design.

348570b58042eb53dc58e3013834630b.jpg

f4f63be86752975d94ab59ccb78b2b16.jpg

Next, a Haunted Mansion cake from the YC/BC bakery. No price on it.

image-jpg.86953

Next up is a cake that was ordered for a private Iluminations dessert party at Epcot. The cake was $195 and is just more evidence of the Epcot bakery really stepping up their game. It's a 10" red velvet and the Edna Mode is a plastic Hallmark toy.

Incredibles%20Cake%201.jpg

Incredibles%20Cake%204.jpg

Incredibles%20Cake%205.jpg

Incredibles%20Cake%206.jpg

And finally, an awesome wedding cake from the GF bakery...

Cinderella%20Cake.jpg

Cinderella%20Cake%20Root%20Photography.jpg

OK..that's it for now!!! :)

Is the Tangled cake from a WDW bakery? I am taking my daughter for her 5th bday this April and she is Tangled obsessed... I haven't come across too much Rapunzel.

DizneyPryncess

I can't be 100%, but with the writing style on the plate...I'm leaning towards thinking this was made by BW or YC/BC. Still, I know GF will also make a cake like this. Unfortunately, BOG is serviced by the Contemporary bakery and they stopped doing custom minis back in fall/early winter of 2013. You can reach out to them to see how much they'd be willing to do, but they might make you bump up to a 6".

I suspect this cake was in the $55-65 range...possibly closer to $70 because of the shells and dinglehopper. At those prices, it would be worth to compare pricing for a 6". It will probably be a little more if they add the character, but they should be able to do a 2d edible standup image of Ariel. There is the 3d white chocolate Ariel, but that will add a significant cost to the cake.

Just wanted to update on this one. Our trip is coming up next month, so I contacted Disney about this cake. They are able to deliver it to Be Our Guest for dinner. They're doing it as-is in the photo, with a 2D pop up Ariel for $60. You were pretty spot on with your price guess! They didn't mention which bakery was doing it, but I'm super excited that they're able to do it! And that they're adding in Ariel too. I'll post photo's when we return, in early October. :) Thanks again!

Deebarna

Thanks so much, we are staying at POLY, and there are 8 of us, so a big cake won't be a problem...trying to decide where to eat and have it delivered. I'd hate to throw away leftovers!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Is the Tangled cake from a WDW bakery? I am taking my daughter for her 5th bday this April and she is Tangled obsessed... I haven't come across too much Rapunzel.

I believe it was, but it was a wedding cake. There are a handful of Tangled cakes out there, but not as many as other themes. We've seen everything from the tower (done for a wedding), an art themed cake based on the art in her tower, a number of lanterns, and a number of things involving braid borders.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Thanks so much, we are staying at POLY, and there are 8 of us, so a big cake won't be a problem...trying to decide where to eat and have it delivered. I'd hate to throw away leftovers!

If you can make it back to your room, I've fit 8" cakes in the room fridge. Granted...it's not quite as pretty after that, but we stored ours that way last trip and snacked on it each night. While not as convenient, if you're not going to be out for too long, you could carry the cake around with you. I did that for about an hour with the cake we ordered the other week. I know one person said they did that with their cake in MK and just would sit down and eat cake on a corner (or something like that) while waiting on parades, etc.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Things have been busy of late, but I wanted to post some cakes. Of course, in my haste, I didn't jot down any of the where or how much, but they should still serve as good ideas. And of course, some are wedding cakes, and we know not everything done on a wedding cake will necessarily be done for a special occasion cake- but ya never know.

aug aulani cake.jpg
aug carriage cake 1.jpg
aug carriage cake 2.jpg
aug castle cake.jpg
aug castle stone cake.jpg
aug hm cake.jpg
aug hm mini cake.jpg
aug lots of wedding cakes.jpg
aug mini wedding.jpg
aug snow white cake.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom