WDWMAGIC Takes the Cake - The Official Cake Talk

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Hello all! First time posting here but I wanted to ask if anyone has had any experience with cake delivery to Ohana @ the Polynesian? I've been looking through the pages but haven't seen any posted (I may have just missed it though), so I was wondering if this was possible.

We will be celebrating my mom and niece's birthdays and while it will be a late breakfast ADR I still wanted to get them a cake. We will also be attending one of the earlier Halloween parties so I thought it'd be cute to go with the Ohana theme and get a cake with Minnie and Mickey in tropical 'costume' with flowers and ocean themed decorations. Is this possible with a 2D print? Or do they only come in standard images?

Thanks for your help. :)

Welcome to WDWMagic :)

You most definitely can have a cake delivered to your meal at 'Ohana. The Grand Floridian bakery covers the cakes for the Polynesian. You can contact them directly at the number listed below. You will also likely be working with Pat Anderson for your order, although private dining at the GF will field the calls if she's out. They bill you ahead of time when having a cake at the Poly, which is kind of nice since you don't have to worry about it being tacked into your meal bill and factored in with the gratuity. When they bill you, it will appear as 1900 Park Fare on your credit card/bank statement.

Grand Floridian Resort Bakery— 407-824-1951

The GF usually has the most decoration and flavor options because of the weddings handled by the GF, but they often limit you to fillings they are using on wedding cakes and tastings that week. So, you really never know what they'll be willing to do until you talk to them. Many guests have pushed back and gotten more uncommon flavors, but success varies.

As for the 2D print, that's another thing you'll have to check on with them. Each bakery has files of approved edible images, but this often changes because Disney legal is constantly deciding what does and doesn't have copyright issues. We've also seen issues where it appears that the bakeries are working from different banks of images. While they usually need as little as 48 hours notice to put in a cake order, you'll want to reach out farther in advance if you have any custom pieces that may need to be crafted for the cake or images that might have some approval time involved. Last year, the YC/BC bakery informed me that it's at least a 30 day process for them to get a new image approved for 2D use on cakes, but processes and such are inconsistent across the bakeries and even from order to order. So, best practice to just call the specific bakery ahead of time and check...and also ask to be contacted if anything changes between the time you place your order and when they're doing your cake. I know they can do tropical decor, since we've seen plenty of things with Lilo and Stitch surfing, Nemo, Little Mermaid, and pirate themed cakes...but just not sure on Mickey and Minnie in tropical attire.

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

HowToMakeASonya

Welcome to WDWMagic :)

You most definitely can have a cake delivered to your meal at 'Ohana. The Grand Floridian bakery covers the cakes for the Polynesian. You can contact them directly at the number listed below. You will also likely be working with Pat Anderson for your order, although private dining at the GF will field the calls if she's out. They bill you ahead of time when having a cake at the Poly, which is kind of nice since you don't have to worry about it being tacked into your meal bill and factored in with the gratuity. When they bill you, it will appear as 1900 Park Fare on your credit card/bank statement.

Grand Floridian Resort Bakery— 407-824-1951

The GF usually has the most decoration and flavor options because of the weddings handled by the GF, but they often limit you to fillings they are using on wedding cakes and tastings that week. So, you really never know what they'll be willing to do until you talk to them. Many guests have pushed back and gotten more uncommon flavors, but success varies.

As for the 2D print, that's another thing you'll have to check on with them. Each bakery has files of approved edible images, but this often changes because Disney legal is constantly deciding what does and doesn't have copyright issues. We've also seen issues where it appears that the bakeries are working from different banks of images. While they usually need as little as 48 hours notice to put in a cake order, you'll want to reach out farther in advance if you have any custom pieces that may need to be crafted for the cake or images that might have some approval time involved. Last year, the YC/BC bakery informed me that it's at least a 30 day process for them to get a new image approved for 2D use on cakes, but processes and such are inconsistent across the bakeries and even from order to order. So, best practice to just call the specific bakery ahead of time and check...and also ask to be contacted if anything changes between the time you place your order and when they're doing your cake. I know they can do tropical decor, since we've seen plenty of things with Lilo and Stitch surfing, Nemo, Little Mermaid, and pirate themed cakes...but just not sure on Mickey and Minnie in tropical attire.

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Thank you so much for your help. I'm glad to know that it will be possible, since I know they'll love the surprise. :)

From your information it seems like I might have a little trouble if I get too picky with the 2D image design , (which I wouldn't since I've seen some of the GF cake designs and they all seem beautiful). However I've actually found the perfect topper so I'm thinking of using it if I can. I'm thinking of having the bakery do something simple like a couple tropical flowers, palm leave prints, and the Happy Birthday text, and placing these figures on top.
15015.jpg
I'll make sure to contact both GF and 'Ohana and see what is or isn't possible, or what we can work out.

Thanks again for your help!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Thank you so much for your help. I'm glad to know that it will be possible, since I know they'll love the surprise. :)

From your information it seems like I might have a little trouble if I get too picky with the 2D image design , (which I wouldn't since I've seen some of the GF cake designs and they all seem beautiful). However I've actually found the perfect topper so I'm thinking of using it if I can. I'm thinking of having the bakery do something simple like a couple tropical flowers, palm leave prints, and the Happy Birthday text, and placing these figures on top.
View attachment 151610
I'll make sure to contact both GF and 'Ohana and see what is or isn't possible, or what we can work out.

Thanks again for your help!

It still can't hurt to ask. The worst the can say is no, and then you have your back up plan of the figures you've shown above. I know a number of people bring their own toppers if they have something special or the bakery can't accommodate their specific request. They usually give you the options of putting it on the cake at the restaurant or dropping off the topper piece(s) to private dining to have added to the cake before delivery.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Just a quick update...

Beginning December 15, 2016, custom cakes will no longer be available at Magic Kingdom restaurants. The basic pre-made podium cakes will still be an option, but those don't offer any personalization. They say they are in the process of re-imagining new offerings, so we'll have to wait and see what that all turns out to be.

I'll be updating the info sections of the thread this evening.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
We just got back from WDW and I wanted to share pictures of the cakes we ordered this trip.

1. I had wanted the Contemporary to do a Donald Duck themed cake for my daughter, but they came in with a surprisingly high quote and a vague response on how their design would differ from my request. So, I went with plan B and reached out to Amorette's Patisserie in Disney Springs. They don't deliver, but they do have a few tables and we did have a dinner ADR at Raglan Road that night...so, it sounded like a good plan. We went with the Donald Duck dome cake, which is a vanilla chiffon cake, lemon buttercream (more mousse-like), blueberry fruit pate, and candy crisps. The dome cakes are $65 + tax and they will personalize it with a name...like a regular set of Mickey ears. The ears and accent pieces are painted white chocolate, and while some of the decorations are fondant, the shiny coating is actually a glaze. There's a great video on YouTube of how they make these cakes.

27979770124_155f2303f7_z.jpg

27980955683_a16e6360bd_z.jpg

They also box the cakes up in these cute boxes...

28518433511_e6f6ea1733_z.jpg

I didn't take a pic, but they will bag the cake with all kinds of tissue paper and they included a hand written thank you note. I also forgot to take a pic of the cut cake. Sorry...but it made for a great late night snack throughout the course of our trip :D

While my older daughter wasn't a fan of the flavors, the rest of us thought it was delicious. The blueberry pate reminded me of my grandmother's homemade blueberry pie filling and was such a wonderful compliment to the lemon.

2. We ordered a Haunted Mansion cake for our farewell meal. The writing on the front of the cake says it all. It's a 6" chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream and chocolate ganache. I was quoted $110, but I was billed $106 and change after tax. What's really nice, since we had it delivered to Kona in the Poly, I was billed ahead of time and didn't have it factored in with my gratuity on the meal. The cake was adorable, really tasty, and we made it home with some leftovers.

28487013492_75e66b7383_z.jpg

27981702543_d65d007633_z.jpg

28593801655_12de5c3abf_z.jpg

28593781565_beecd315ec_z.jpg

twinfo3728

I am torn about getting a cake in October while we celebrate my 40th. I checked at Pastella Cake, they deliver for $50. An 8 inch cake with fondants starts at $100 plus decorations.
I thought about ordering from Disney but not sure about that either. I was wanting a lemon cake.
I really like the $65 cake from Amorette's Patisserie in Disney Springs but I really wish they delivered. We are eating a celebration dinner at Ohana's. Honestly, I am thrifty and not sure I can justify the cost of a small cake for myself.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I am torn about getting a cake in October while we celebrate my 40th. I checked at Pastella Cake, they deliver for $50. An 8 inch cake with fondants starts at $100 plus decorations.
I thought about ordering from Disney but not sure about that either. I was wanting a lemon cake.
I really like the $65 cake from Amorette's Patisserie in Disney Springs but I really wish they delivered. We are eating a celebration dinner at Ohana's. Honestly, I am thrifty and not sure I can justify the cost of a small cake for myself.

Yeah, it's unfortunate that Amorette's isn't doing any kind of delivery at this time. The cake we had was really tasty and didn't break the bank, but it was only a viable option as we were in Disney Springs on a night where cake would work for our plans...and even then, while they really tried to accommodate us, it was still a bit awkward. Their boxes are also very big and won't fit in the resort fridges, so you'd have to get the cake right before your dinner...and DS is not exactly super convenient to the Poly.

The GF bakery services the restaurants at the Poly. I had the 6" cake below from the GF bakery exactly one year ago today. Had I not requested fresh fruit filling, it would have been $64+tax. Prices can vary greatly, but considering that price is on par with Amorette's, it may be worth contacting the GF bakery.

20251734599_7c22e53b66_z.jpg

twinfo3728

Yeah, it's unfortunate that Amorette's isn't doing any kind of delivery at this time. The cake we had was really tasty and didn't break the bank, but it was only a viable option as we were in Disney Springs on a night where cake would work for our plans...and even then, while they really tried to accommodate us, it was still a bit awkward. Their boxes are also very big and won't fit in the resort fridges, so you'd have to get the cake right before your dinner...and DS is not exactly super convenient to the Poly.

The GF bakery services the restaurants at the Poly. I had the 6" cake below from the GF bakery exactly one year ago today. Had I not requested fresh fruit filling, it would have been $64+tax. Prices can vary greatly, but considering that price is on par with Amorette's, it may be worth contacting the GF bakery.

20251734599_7c22e53b66_z.jpg
That is a really cute cake! I will give them a call and see what we can come up with. Are all the wedding cake flavors available from the GF in small cakes? I am looking at either a lemon or a chocolate. Apparently cakes in Orlando is quite a good gig, lol ;)

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
That is a really cute cake! I will give them a call and see what we can come up with. Are all the wedding cake flavors available from the GF in small cakes? I am looking at either a lemon or a chocolate. Apparently cakes in Orlando is quite a good gig, lol ;)

If you speak to Pat at the GF, she might push back when you ask for lemon. While the GF has a ton of flavor options b/c of all of their wedding business, they will try and say they can only give you certain things if a couple doing a wedding or tasting that week has requested the more uncommon flavor. That being said, when I helped one of my work friends order a cake, we used the "we've seen others get lemon cakes" argument and they got a lemon cake. On the flip side, she won't have any issues doing chocolate.

Custom cakes require so much work, so they can get really pricey. It's often hard to justify it as it's just cake, but sometimes it's fun to splurge.

twinfo3728

If you speak to Pat at the GF, she might push back when you ask for lemon. While the GF has a ton of flavor options b/c of all of their wedding business, they will try and say they can only give you certain things if a couple doing a wedding or tasting that week has requested the more uncommon flavor. That being said, when I helped one of my work friends order a cake, we used the "we've seen others get lemon cakes" argument and they got a lemon cake. On the flip side, she won't have any issues doing chocolate.

Custom cakes require so much work, so they can get really pricey. It's often hard to justify it as it's just cake, but sometimes it's fun to splurge.
I did talk to Pat today. She was actually very chatty. She did say I could do lemon but I went with chocolate with white chocolate mousse. While I think I would love them lemon, I was concerned it may not be a big hit with some of the others in our party. Who doesn't LOVE chocolate!?!?!
It will be decorated with Chip and Dale on it. I am having trouble deciding and seem to be second guessing it all. If I was ordering it for someone else them I could do it. I guess I don't do enough "splurging" for myself. You know how mom's do :)
I do some cakes on the side so I understand the cost but I guess I just wasn't expecting quite so much ;)

mouse_luv

I did talk to Pat today. She was actually very chatty. She did say I could do lemon but I went with chocolate with white chocolate mousse. While I think I would love them lemon, I was concerned it may not be a big hit with some of the others in our party. Who doesn't LOVE chocolate!?!?!
It will be decorated with Chip and Dale on it. I am having trouble deciding and seem to be second guessing it all. If I was ordering it for someone else them I could do it. I guess I don't do enough "splurging" for myself. You know how mom's do :)
I do some cakes on the side so I understand the cost but I guess I just wasn't expecting quite so much ;)

Be aware that the White Chocolate Mousse filling is very sweet.

mouse_luv

Do you have any suggestions?
BTW thank you for your help.
Overall, if you guys don't like anything too sweet then ask for whipped cream icing to replace buttercream. As far as filling they should be able to whip you up a flavored whip cream icing for filling or maybe if you like it, do fruit filling.

Clawhit

We are going for our first break in October (the children still don't know) and we have the yachtsman steakhouse booked for the day after arrival and I am looking at getting a cake made for my daughters 11th birthday. Do you think I should keep it simple with a cake design or I really like this one ...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 90

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
We are going for our first break in October (the children still don't know) and we have the yachtsman steakhouse booked for the day after arrival and I am looking at getting a cake made for my daughters 11th birthday. Do you think I should keep it simple with a cake design or I really like this one ...

I'm sorry for the delayed reply, but I've been swamped with work, bdays, and back to school. I think that's a very pretty cake, but it's really up to you. You could always reach out to the YC/BC bakery and get quotes on something like this vs. something more basic. i.e. make cost the deciding factor.

21stamps

That is gorgeous!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
In case anyone cares to see...I made my older one a Maleficent bday cake last week. It's not nearly as clean as I'd like it, but that's what happens when someone changes the theme with less than a week warning and asks for something that should have had at least 3 weeks of prep time. Still not bad for the limited prep time and it stays with my "it must all be edible" rule.

28909373392_d200d50309_z.jpg

28909373502_92d10e00e6_z.jpg

29014204475_987be3b612_z.jpg

29014204175_8b35cd3d43_z.jpg

29014204345_783e18839e_z.jpg

Like I said, kind of sloppy from the rushing, but not bad either. It's a banana pound cake with chocolate ganache filling and vanilla buttercream under the thorny vines.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom