WDWMagic Pinball is Highly Addictive!

ogryn

Woody13 said:
Macromedia Shockwave is an ActiveX control on Windows XP. It opens up too many doors and has security issues. I'll pass. :wave:

Are you saying the SWDir.dll ActiveX control in IE is unsafe, or the np32dsw.dll Netscape Shockwave Plugin that I use is unsafe, or Shockwave is inherently unsafe?

Woody13

ogryn said:
Are you saying the SWDir.dll ActiveX control in IE is unsafe, or the np32dsw.dll Netscape Shockwave Plugin that I use is unsafe, or Shockwave is inherently unsafe?
Shockwave is a plug-in for Netscape and an ActiveX control in Internet Explorer.

The problem to which I refer was just pointed out here:

nibblesandbits said:
Ok...it says "this application requires an Xtra (Font...) that either does not exist or failed to initialize properly. Please make sure the appropriate Xtras are in the Xtra folder(s)."

When you go to a website, Shockwave will sometimes ask you to download an Xtra file and sometimes an Xtra file will be put on your machine without your knowledge! Shockwave has no control over these files. Some are good, some are bad and some are just plain dangerous. Lots of hackers look for Shockwave on home computers and use it as a doorway. 3rd party Xtra files are not blocked by Macromedia Shockwave and therefore, can cause many problems. Macromedia leaves it up to the user to decide which files are good, bad or dangerous.

As I said, it just opens up your computer to many risks. Now, if you don't have any sensitive data on your computer (name, address, credit card number, etc.) then there's no need to worry. :wave:

Woody13

DisneyRoxMySox said:
But, if you have good security on your computer, wouldn't you be safe?
No, you wouldn't be safe because you allowed the software to be put on your computer in the first place. Another problem with Macromedia Shockwave is that it is almost impossible to uninstall because Macromedia's install assigns the wrong permissions to every single file. When you attempt to uninstall it, lots of files are left behind.

The only way to get Shockwave off your computer is to do a manual removal. You have to go into the registry and remove the files. One little mistake can ruin your registry.

Adobe bought Macromedia back in December of 2005 and Adobe made a commitment to improve security. Thus far nothing has happened. It's only been 6 months so I think its safe to wait a little longer. In the mean time, I wouldn't use it. :wave:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Adobe is #3 on the list of bloatware companies, behind Microsoft and Symantec. I don't trust them to improve anything, except the bottom line of hard drive manufacturers.

WDWScottieBoy

I want a free stay at the hotel. :cry:

Why can't Cast Members at the Swan and Dolphin win?!? I want my hour(s) of playing time back! :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom