WDW with Teens

NoRealReason

Sorry if this is the wrong place to be posting or if someone has already done something similar but in the summer my family is embarking on a Disney world trip with my then 16 yo brother. He seems to be getting a bit worn out from Disney, every trip we try to change it up but we really want to make this a great trip for him. While we are looking into new experiences such as tubing at the Contemporary and the DVC Typhoon Lagoon Beach Bash, I would love to hear any suggestions, and to put a little twist on the thread, It would be great if you guys commented challenges for my brother and I, such as eat this, or ride this ride 5 times, or try to hit this target on Buzz Lightyear. Sorry for all of the questions, anything big or small is really appreciated.

DisneyPrincess5

DH and I have done the Epcot WS Segway tour twice and loved it. I don't believe they do it there anymore, but I believe they do it at Ft Wilderness. It's so fun!!! Worth looking into. We also parasailed once on Bay Lake. The height of it scared the bleep out of me, but I'd think most people would enjoy it.

If you want a challenge: see how much each of you can put a dent into Beaches and Cream's Kitchen Sink.

Upvote 0

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
As a 17 year old, I understand how Disney is becoming a bit worn out. I have started wanting to go to Universal more in search of thrills instead of dark rides. Which I find strange. Because I used to LOVE dark rides. So.. Here are some tips from a currently 17 yr old... Nothing unique or anything.. Just the attractions that should not be missed.

MK-
Not much to say about MK. Unless he really wants to go on a dark ride, I'd just avoid Fantasyland all together. What was once my favorite childhood land is now my least favorite land in the parks due to whining children, and long wait times for "boring" rides. Mickey's Philharmagic is the only worthy attraction. Maybe Little Mermaid, given that it is a very short wait for a pretty relaxing ride when y'all get tired. Spend time on the typical teenage-happy attractions like Splash, Thunder, and Space Mountain... Pirates of the Caribbean, The Haunted Mansion, Buzz Lightyear, Ect. Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor is a hit or miss depending on whether or not the guy has a sense of humor. Avoid quote on quote "dumb" things (In the words of teenagers) like Jungle Cruise, animatronic shows, Stitch, ect.

EPCOT-
Test Track and Mission: Space... Must do. SUM of All Thrills in Innoventions is also a really awesome must do. Especially if he's a thrill seeker. The rest of the park is just going to be kind of "meh" to him. Unless he finds the countries in World Showcase cool. When he starts complaining about his legs being tired, or it's too hot, go to Ellen's Energy Adventure or Circle of Life if you're in Future World, or The American Adventure if you're in World Showcase. Either way he can nap or relax. Everything in the park is hit or miss. Except Imagination. Stay as far away from Imagination as possible. If you are not on a budget... A fun thing to do might be to try different desserts at all the different countries!

Hollywood Studios-
Rockin Roller Coaster, Star Tours and Tower of Terror are always a win-win. Toy Story Mania is great too. Problem with this park is that those three are about it for great rides. The Great Movie Ride and Muppet Vision might be a hit or miss. He might find Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular pretty great. Nothing much else to do in the park now unless he's a Star Wars fanatic and wants to check out the Launch Bay.

Animal Kingdom-
DINOSAUR, Primeval Whirl, Expedition Everest, and Kilimanjaro Safaris, yes. Finding Nemo and Lion King are hit or miss. He may get a good kick out of It's Tough to be a Bug. That's a pretty intense show.

I don't know how many times he's been, or if he's a thrill seeker or not... But everything I've listed is everything I never miss because they are my favorites.

Upvote 0

YozhikRoth

Taking my 13 and 11 year olds in 3 weeks, one thing that surprised me is my eldest went through the pictures from our first trip in 2008 and said she wants to recreate many of the pictures

Upvote 0

NoRealReason

Original Poster
@WondersOfLife Thank you so much for the suggestions, he is a big thrill seeker and I think if he hears suggestions from an actual teenager that might make him realize that not everyone he goes is a baby, we have been many, many times and Universal a few. He says he is just so busy that since it is still 6 months away he isn't excited yet but will be for when we go, so that is a plus. I know you didn't ask for all of that information but thank you!

Upvote 0

zurgandfriend

Our DS has been going to WDW since age 5, he is now 18. The best thing with a teen is that he can ride whatever he wants without Mom and/or Dad. As my DW and I get older we will ride somethings but choose to sit out some others. Last summer Mom and Dad had dinner at V&A to celebrate a mile stone and again DS went off by himself.

Upvote 0

RMichael21

@NoRealReason Considering the fact that your son is a thrill seeker, I'd HIGHLY recommend taking two days to do Universal. They have Hulk (it's closed for refurb for about a year though), Dragon Challenge, Rip Ride Rocket, Jurassic Park River Adventure, Transformers, SpiderMan, Drop of Doom, Skull Island: Reign of Kong, Forbidden Journey and Gringotts. All of these are attractions that I'd assume that he's enjoy. Even the dark rides at universal are much more intense than at Disney (i.e. Men In Black).

Upvote 0

DManRightHere

@NoRealReason Considering the fact that your son is a thrill seeker, I'd HIGHLY recommend taking two days to do Universal. They have Hulk (it's closed for refurb for about a year though), Dragon Challenge, Rip Ride Rocket, Jurassic Park River Adventure, Transformers, SpiderMan, Drop of Doom, Skull Island: Reign of Kong, Forbidden Journey and Gringotts. All of these are attractions that I'd assume that he's enjoy. Even the dark rides at universal are much more intense than at Disney (i.e. Men In Black).

I second Universal if yall haven't been since Diagon Alley opened.

Fyi hulk will be back summer this year (the entire track is gone!). Reign of Kong will be open summer 2016 as well.

Upvote 0

R W B

@WondersOfLife Thank you so much for the suggestions, he is a big thrill seeker and I think if he hears suggestions from an actual teenager that might make him realize that not everyone he goes is a baby, we have been many, many times and Universal a few. He says he is just so busy that since it is still 6 months away he isn't excited yet but will be for when we go, so that is a plus. I know you didn't ask for all of that information but thank you!
If it means anything my fiancé and I leave in 10 days for our 11th trip and im still not the excited about it. Sure im happy to be getting away but the excitement won't hit me til a few days before and that's because of how busy I am right now with work.

Upvote 0

GeoDonJac34

We just came back from a large family trip, 18 in all, staying at Beach Club. Six teenagers were on the trip. Most seemed to like to sleep late, get to the parks noonish, and head back to resort early. They would hang in the hot tub, swim, and play pool. A few nights they headed over to Fantasia Gardens for mini golf. They would also go to the boardwalk to the ESPN Club at night. As for challenges, there is the kitchen sink at Beaches and Cream.

Upvote 0

CheshireCat12

With teens, be sure to make FP+ for the more thrilling rides and carve out plenty of pool time. Do the water parks. If they are adventurous eaters, make ADR's at places like Sanaa or Boma. Also realize that teens may act "too old" at home but many of them will become like little kids again when they feel the Disney magic start! You never know.
For the sake of something different, try booking a behind the scenes tour if the kid is 16 or older. Take on the Kitchen Sink challenge. Try one of the food crawls- Candy around the World Showcase or eating one food in every country. Surrey bike riding at the Boardwalk- fun for a group.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JohnD

If you have park hopper, let him decide where he wants to go to on his own. Just lay out ground rules that he is to use WDW transportation. The whole family meets up at X time at X location. You all may even decide to go to the same park. Again, give him the freedom to decide what he wants to do on his own (could include hanging out with you but maybe not). You agree to reconvene for meal/parade, whatever. At his age freedom is probably what he wants. Let him decide.

Upvote 0

GeoDonJac34

If you have park hopper, let him decide where he wants to go to on his own. Just lay out ground rules that he is to use WDW transportation. The whole family meets up at X time at X location. You all may even decide to go to the same park. Again, give him the freedom to decide what he wants to do on his own (could include hanging out with you but maybe not). You agree to reconvene for meal/parade, whatever. At his age freedom is probably what he wants. Let him decide.
During our most recent trip, all the adults went to Yachtsmen for dinner one night, so the kids were on their own. All but one kid, my son, decided to go to Disney Quest. He went off on his own to Epcot and explored the World Showcase. He did what he wanted and at his own pace, and really enjoyed the night.

Upvote 0

BrerJon

Definitely schedule a day for Busch Gardens. It's not something people tend to do every trip, but is far more interesting to a teenager than the tenth visit to Magic Kingdom, especially with newer rides like Falcon's Fury. Non thrill-seekers can enjoy the animals, and there's plenty of ticket options that include return transport from WDW resorts so no need to drive if you don't have a car.

I appreciate some people feel 'Disney magic' being on property and don't like leaving the resort, but taking a break from it mid trip and going somewhere else to freshen things up is going to stop him getting sick of it and complaining as the trip goes on.

Upvote 0

NoRealReason

Original Poster
If it means anything my fiancé and I leave in 10 days for our 11th trip and im still not the excited about it. Sure im happy to be getting away but the excitement won't hit me til a few days before and that's because of how busy I am right now with work.
That definitely sounds like my brother!

Upvote 0

R W B

That definitely sounds like my brother!
We leave this Friday evening for our trip and im borderline freaking out because I know I have so many tasks I need to wrap up before I leave (work related and finish moving). At this point I won't be excited til we're 3 hours deep into the 11hr drive and I've accepted not everything will have gotten done lol.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom