WDW with Kids - info

Giants14

Original Poster
Hey all

Its been awhile since I've posted on the forum - between dealing with a new job and our 18 month year old - Internet usage is limited lol

I was wondering if you guys could give me some help and tips.

We are coming over from Northern Ireland to WDW in the last 2 weeks of July - there are 11 of us travelling over (I know) these include my 18 month old daughter, 4 year old niece and 8 month nephew.

We have done WDW before a number of times but this will be the first with kids - I am pretty nervous about it from the flights, heat, naps and the volume of stuff we will need to bring with us. We'll be fine....in that we'll just have to get on with it but I was wondering if you had any tips?

We are staying in the Old Key West resort - can you tell me what the buses are like here and overall atmosphere? kid friendly?

My Disney Experience - this is the first time we have used the app, we have had a number of problems linking everybody's ticket and hotel reservation to the app but we are starting to get our head around it, fast passes are frustrating having to book 60 days in advance when we don't know which part of the park we'll be in at certain times due to the kids - any helpful tips that could be useful around the app or fast passes?

Is it worth getting fast passes for character greetings etc.

Anything we must see for the kids? As I mentioned - we have done WDW before but we would usually blitz everything in our 2 weeks - this time around we'll have to take things slower and fit around the children's schedule?

Also - random question. It is my wife's 30th birthday at the end of April - Do you guys know if Disney do birthday events - I'm not looking to spend a fortune - just something that will give me brownie points haha

Any info will be greatly appreciated - thanks again

correcaminos

First of all we love OKW!!! It is definitely kid friendly. The community hall and activities at the main pool are wonderful. There are 5 stops (Peninsular, South Point, Turtle Pond, Miller's Road and Hospitality House) with the Peninsular being first always and HH being last when going to the parks. It's a larger resort but I find it quite walkable in general. The CMs there are my favorite honestly. I've always had wonderful stays there. I might suggest either asking for an elevator building (62-64) or first floor if you will have a stroller.

As for bringing kids that age, I find them rather easy as you don't have to bring too much extra (only likely diapers I would imagine for the 18 month old). I bring snacks and water to the parks, an extra change in clothes, and that's it. Remember Disney is has a lot of things so I actually suggest trying not to over pack. Not sure what room type(s) you are in or how many rooms. If you have at least 1 bedroom in your mix of rooms, you will have laundry available in it. Full washer and dryer.

As for scheduling, that is child dependent. Mine had reflux and thus had to be on a scheduled feeding until about 12-14 months or so (schedules helped keep reflux down) so we knew what time wake up would be. We followed the nap schedule by going back to the room. Mine never slept in a stroller but after a year 1 nap a day was all that was needed so was a good afternoon break anyway. So we knew that the mornings we'd be up around 7 and could do parks without rushing at 9 am. We always skipped EMH so we wouldn't be stressed and did our 3 FP on non EMH parks starting at about 9. We'd come back for nap either having a quick lunch before leaving the parks or by coming to the room for it. We'd have the nap, pool time and then go back out in the evening (if lunch was at the park then usually we'd have dinner in the room - the joys of villas!)

Character greetings are also kid dependent. If your kid is afraid of characters then I'd pass. Not sure you can do it before but reactions to costumed people (I usually suggest Santa or Easter bunny but we're past those) will give you a good idea if you need to or not. The 4yo should be okay but 18 months are often scared of costumed people. Personally I think doing character meals at that age is better than waiting in line in general.

Must do for kids also varies again. At 3 my son was over 40 inches and riding those rides he could. Some kids like that and others don't. Go with what your kids are most interested in and find the rides that match with what they already love about Disney.

As or birthdays, they do special cakes that they can have delivered during meals. I'd try for that as it would be an easy way to get brownie points.

Giants14

Original Poster
First of all we love OKW!!! It is definitely kid friendly. The community hall and activities at the main pool are wonderful. There are 5 stops (Peninsular, South Point, Turtle Pond, Miller's Road and Hospitality House) with the Peninsular being first always and HH being last when going to the parks. It's a larger resort but I find it quite walkable in general. The CMs there are my favorite honestly. I've always had wonderful stays there. I might suggest either asking for an elevator building (62-64) or first floor if you will have a stroller.

As for bringing kids that age, I find them rather easy as you don't have to bring too much extra (only likely diapers I would imagine for the 18 month old). I bring snacks and water to the parks, an extra change in clothes, and that's it. Remember Disney is has a lot of things so I actually suggest trying not to over pack. Not sure what room type(s) you are in or how many rooms. If you have at least 1 bedroom in your mix of rooms, you will have laundry available in it. Full washer and dryer.

As for scheduling, that is child dependent. Mine had reflux and thus had to be on a scheduled feeding until about 12-14 months or so (schedules helped keep reflux down) so we knew what time wake up would be. We followed the nap schedule by going back to the room. Mine never slept in a stroller but after a year 1 nap a day was all that was needed so was a good afternoon break anyway. So we knew that the mornings we'd be up around 7 and could do parks without rushing at 9 am. We always skipped EMH so we wouldn't be stressed and did our 3 FP on non EMH parks starting at about 9. We'd come back for nap either having a quick lunch before leaving the parks or by coming to the room for it. We'd have the nap, pool time and then go back out in the evening (if lunch was at the park then usually we'd have dinner in the room - the joys of villas!)

Character greetings are also kid dependent. If your kid is afraid of characters then I'd pass. Not sure you can do it before but reactions to costumed people (I usually suggest Santa or Easter bunny but we're past those) will give you a good idea if you need to or not. The 4yo should be okay but 18 months are often scared of costumed people. Personally I think doing character meals at that age is better than waiting in line in general.

Must do for kids also varies again. At 3 my son was over 40 inches and riding those rides he could. Some kids like that and others don't. Go with what your kids are most interested in and find the rides that match with what they already love about Disney.

As or birthdays, they do special cakes that they can have delivered during meals. I'd try for that as it would be an easy way to get brownie points.

Thanks for the response - very well detailed and informative - thank you.

We have the same plan in mind most days, hitting the parks first thing when queue's are slighter quieter and have an afternoon rest back at the hotel and hit the parks again in the evening - again this depends on how the kids are.

We have booked in to do a character breakfast quite early on - so we may see how the kids are with the costumes - as you say Santa can be very hit or miss.

Magic Kingdom will blow the kids minds - My daughter is obsessed with Winnie the Pooh - particularly the Heffalumps and Wozzles scene in the movie - can't wait until she gets on the ride. That's what its all about.

correcaminos

We have the same plan in mind most days, hitting the parks first thing when queue's are slighter quieter and have an afternoon rest back at the hotel and hit the parks again in the evening - again this depends on how the kids are.

We have booked in to do a character breakfast quite early on - so we may see how the kids are with the costumes - as you say Santa can be very hit or miss.

Magic Kingdom will blow the kids minds - My daughter is obsessed with Winnie the Pooh - particularly the Heffalumps and Wozzles scene in the movie - can't wait until she gets on the ride. That's what its all about.
I think you are going in with a great plan in mind. Nor planning too much is good and remember you can switch out FP if you see things change.

Did you schedule Crystal Palace? I think she'll love meeting them. The Pooh ride will be awesome too. I'd schedule that one more than once ;)

Giants14

Original Poster
I think you are going in with a great plan in mind. Nor planning too much is good and remember you can switch out FP if you see things change.

Did you schedule Crystal Palace? I think she'll love meeting them. The Pooh ride will be awesome too. I'd schedule that one more than once ;)

Can you change FP's on the day? the Fast Pass changes have stumped us abit - sounds straight forward enough but I like the old school - stick your ticket in the machine - get a ticket and time out lol

We have booked the Crystal Palace - it'll be our first character breakfast - it should be great,

The kids will go crazy for Fantasy Land - Winnie the Pooh, Belle, the Little Mermaid - all favourites.

Also the new Frozen ride in Norway - they'll go mental lol

correcaminos

Can you change FP's on the day? the Fast Pass changes have stumped us abit - sounds straight forward enough but I like the old school - stick your ticket in the machine - get a ticket and time out lol

We have booked the Crystal Palace - it'll be our first character breakfast - it should be great,

The kids will go crazy for Fantasy Land - Winnie the Pooh, Belle, the Little Mermaid - all favourites.

Also the new Frozen ride in Norway - they'll go mental lol
With larger groups it would be hard to change, but you can change the day of. The big ticket rides (Flight of Passage, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, and Frozen) are the hardest to get. Others it depends on the day and such.

The new Frozen ride is very well done. So if they like MK and all it has to offer, I think they'll love it.

And great choice on the character breakfast. We're kind of beyond character meals now but I always loved that one!

Giants14

Original Poster
Thanks for all your comments Helenbear - very much appreciated.

We are hoping to get FP's for Frozen, Mine Train and Flights of Passage as we are aware the wait times are horrendous currently - glad to see Animal Kingdom is more than a half day park - it seems HS has taken over as the half day park - looking forward to Toy Story Land though - it'll be open 2 weeks before we are there........it'll be crazy though.

Its going to be hard work but it'll all be worth it.

buseegal

I would plan on resort naps but have a back up plan in case of falling asleep on way to resort and not going back to sleep. we had that problem with 16 month old. remember you are going to have a distance from either car parking or bus stop to your room. keeping a toddler asleep who falls asleep on transportation can be difficult to do. would do some test runs at home before you leave with taking car/bus ride near nap time to see if you can get child back to sleep

correcaminos

I would plan on resort naps but have a back up plan in case of falling asleep on way to resort and not going back to sleep. we had that problem with 16 month old. remember you are going to have a distance from either car parking or bus stop to your room. keeping a toddler asleep who falls asleep on transportation can be difficult to do. would do some test runs at home before you leave with taking car/bus ride near nap time to see if you can get child back to sleep

Or you can also just work to keep them awake. I used to have my son visit family once a week and we left before nap time. So we'd sing, play, just kept him active in the car before we got home. That worked just fine. If they are sitting on your lap on Disney transportation, it is much easier than trying to do it while you are driving though LOL

buseegal

Or you can also just work to keep them awake. I used to have my son visit family once a week and we left before nap time. So we'd sing, play, just kept him active in the car before we got home. That worked just fine. If they are sitting on your lap on Disney transportation, it is much easier than trying to do it while you are driving though LOL
glad it worked for your group as it didn't for us and yes we tried. as my grandson was used to sitting still in his carseat, he would be singing with you one second and out the next plus if they are secured right they should not be able to move much in their seats.

correcaminos

glad it worked for your group as it didn't for us and yes we tried. as my grandson was used to sitting still in his carseat, he would be singing with you one second and out the next plus if they are secured right they should not be able to move much in their seats.
I never said it was easy ;) I would have to do a lot of work to get him to stay up. Really hard when you are driving and trying to keep him awake. Really hard! If I had had someone with me, it would have been much better, but I didn't so I made do.

That said I am confused. If we are talking Disney transport, how would they be secured in a seat? Much easier as I said when they are sitting on your and you can keep poking and such to keep them up.

Giants14

Original Poster
We are also planning on getting some groceries delivered to the hotel - save us having to bring nappies etc in our luggage.

We are looking into Garden Grocer or Amazon Prime (not a member) - would you guys know which would be the best option? Is is east enough to do?

correcaminos

We are also planning on getting some groceries delivered to the hotel - save us having to bring nappies etc in our luggage.

We are looking into Garden Grocer or Amazon Prime (not a member) - would you guys know which would be the best option? Is is east enough to do?

Check out Instacart instead. Prime Now is only for those who are members and it is $99 a year. We use it for other things so it's more of a perk for usu to use Now. GG was nearly double in cost of my Instacart order, so that's who I pick if not Prime Now. Instacart delivers Publix items :)

Giants14

Original Poster
Check out Instacart instead. Prime Now is only for those who are members and it is $99 a year. We use it for other things so it's more of a perk for usu to use Now. GG was nearly double in cost of my Instacart order, so that's who I pick if not Prime Now. Instacart delivers Publix items :)

I have a quick scally on Instacart - looks great and really ideal.

Is Publix a supermarket in the States? :facepalm:

correcaminos

I have a quick scally on Instacart - looks great and really ideal.

Is Publix a supermarket in the States? :facepalm:
Yes it is, at least in some regions, and with a good following as well. Good bakery items and great prices as a whole.

Instacart can also deliver Whole Foods, Costco as well as alcohol from both Publix abd ABC wine and spirits (all stores here) though you need to meet in person foe alcohol delivery

WDWFan2018

Are you on the dining plan? If so, I would try to reschedule the Crystal Palace for lunch or dinner. It's much easier to find a cheap breakfast than it is lunch or dinner. If you're not on the DDP, I would stick with breakfast. My kids loved the characters there and the wait staff was so great about getting the characters to our table.

You can get FPs the day of but you definitely won't get all of the rides you want at the times you want. I definitely recommend getting them as soon as you can. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and Peter Pan's Flight go the fastest.

buseegal

I never said it was easy ;) I would have to do a lot of work to get him to stay up. Really hard when you are driving and trying to keep him awake. Really hard! If I had had someone with me, it would have been much better, but I didn't so I made do.

That said I am confused. If we are talking Disney transport, how would they be secured in a seat? Much easier as I said when they are sitting on your and you can keep poking and such to keep them up.
it was sitting on a lap and when he crashes he crashes still true to this day well passed nap stage. you could poke jab whatever once he went out he was done. I mean one second singing with you what ever he wanted and mid sentence and he was out

Giants14

Original Poster
Are you on the dining plan? If so, I would try to reschedule the Crystal Palace for lunch or dinner. It's much easier to find a cheap breakfast than it is lunch or dinner. If you're not on the DDP, I would stick with breakfast. My kids loved the characters there and the wait staff was so great about getting the characters to our table.

You can get FPs the day of but you definitely won't get all of the rides you want at the times you want. I definitely recommend getting them as soon as you can. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and Peter Pan's Flight go the fastest.

We didn't go for any dining plan so the breakfast was our best option - really looking forward to it acutally - the kids was be in awe when we rock up to see Tigger and Pooh

TheJonesys

My daughter’s first visit was when she was 4, we started with the Akerhaus breakfast so that the first characters she met were face characters and our second character meal was Crystal Palace which was daughters and son who was 7 favourite restaurant, Tigger was really funny.

For the birthday, you can tell them at hotel check in or at the parks and they will give you birthday badges, you can order a cake for one of your meals or check out Disney Floral and Gifts and they can arrange delivery of gifts to either your hotel or a restaurant. There was a lady who would arrange gift baskets for delivery at a lower cost, but she wasn’t well so stopped, I don’t know if anyone knows of anyone who offers this service now.

Giants14

Original Poster
I want to thank everyone who has responded to my query although I was hoping to pick your brains regarding Fast Passes.

Me and the Mrs are debating what the best options are for us regarding Fast Pass selections - our selections wont come available for another few weeks but wanted to have a plan in place.

We intend to get the popular attractions for fast pass straight away when the window opens i.e Flight of Passage, Toy Story Mania and Mine Train etc - we understand the rules around the different tiering system.

Our main issue is trying to organise our days 60 days in advance when we don't know how the kids will be - what part of the park we'll be at....at a certain time of day.........so...............Will most rides fast passes be gone by the time we get there or is it mostly the big attractions that go quickly? i.e can we hold off one of our fast pass reservations closer to the time or even in park and book the likes of Buzz Lightyear or Thunder Mountain? would these general rides run out?

Also - our daughter will be 20months old and therefore will not need a ticket or FP - however if we wanted to take her to a character greet - would we need 2 fast passes? one for each adult?

When booking through the app - can one person book all 10 fast pass selections?

I think I will miss the old - stick your card in and get a paper ticket out fast pass :joyfull:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom