WDW with disabilities that people cannot see

lisbetgabrielle

What you have discribed happens to both children and adults who look healthy but use a wheelchair or GAC at Disney. Sad that people have to be busy bodies and judge people when they have no idea of the full situation.
Ignore them. You probably willl never see them again. Enjoy your vacation.

disneyniebo

Well, I just have to add my two cents here.:)
My wife had a a herniated disk fixed four years ago but still has nerve pain in her left leg. When we go to WDW, she gets around alright most of the time, but from time to time we rent a wheelchair at the park. Now, she does not have any outward signs of a problem, but walking (and lets face it there is ALOT of walking at WDW) gets uncomfortable and painful after a while. So we get a chair and I push her around so that she can rest and feel better. (I do not mind doing this by the way honey - love you:kiss:).
Well, the looks we get from people in lines. I get so mad for the ignorance of some.
Once, we got the wheel chair from the POP century resort to use and at the bus stop, well it was a 85 degree day but the cold looks made it feel like 40.
Some people just do not get it. It makes us mad. BUT there are a lot of ignorant people around these days, so we deal with it as best as we can.
I just hope that some day they or a loved one are not in the same position we are and get those looks too. I do not wish that on anyone.

Thanks for letting me vent here.:sohappy:

smk

My wise, dear Mother always says "ignorance is bliss and some people are very happy". Ignore comments, looks, and please don't go handing out cards to explain the condition. It is simply none of anyone's business, not now, not ever. All that matters is that you know what is best for your child and you don't need a complete stranger to tell you any different. Go, rent a chair, get a card (GAC) to take her anywhere her heart desires and make the memories of her childhood. Have fun today, tomorrow and in the years to come.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I have used the GAC on occasion. I have problems in slow-moving lines because of a combination of a full-thickness skin graft on one heel and not having either of my big toes. The balance problems because of the missing big toes causes problems with blistering of the skin graft because my weight distribution on my feet is constantly shifting. If I get the blistering [which happens without notice and is entirely unpredictable], I'll be in pain walking for as much as the next three weeks. This problem is completely invisible to others. When I don't have any blistering I walk with a barely perceptible limp because of orthotic insoles.

What always amuses me is that people will rarely if ever make disparaging comments when I use the GAC because I'm also a bilateral hand amputee. Somehow, because they can see that I only have portions of both hands, which has no bearing at all on my ability to stand in lines for any length of time, it's "OK" in their eyes that I'm using the GAC. :shrug:

Recently, I found a product that does a fntastic job of protecting the skin graft from blistering while I'm at WDW [I can't use it all the time, but for a week at Disney it's good], so I don't request the GAC any more, but when I needed it I had no qualms about using it. Peoples' opinions be damned!

Laura

Premium Member
I would like to hear your thoughts about this and if you have any experiences in dealing with this subject.

I can understand your worry, but honestly, does it MATTER what other people think? Why should you even dwell on that? I certainly don't give a rat's behind what anyone thinks of me when I'm on vacation. I pay very little attention to what other people in WDW are doing or thinking. Go and enjoy your family, and don't get caught up on what's in someone else's head.

Ella's Mommy

I can understand your worry, but honestly, does it MATTER what other people think? Why should you even dwell on that? I certainly don't give a rat's behind what anyone thinks of me when I'm on vacation. I pay very little attention to what other people in WDW are doing or thinking. Go and enjoy your family, and don't get caught up on what's in someone else's head.

I'm totally with you on this one. I dont know if its my tendence to totally ignore other people or that I'm having so much fun at Dis. Its probably a bit of both. While on this trip ignore any rude comments or stares and focus on whats really important. Having fun with your family!!:) :sohappy: I will keep you in my prayers.

daliseurat

I frequently see what appear to be perfectly healthy people getting special treatment, or riding around on scooters. Sometimes I wonder if they are scamming, or really have something wrong. I admit it. But the idea of giving them any kind of look, or actually questioning their right to whatever special treatment is rude and obnoxious.

My nephew looks like a completely normal kid. But he has half a heart and is incapable of doing various things. So when he finally gets a chance to visit, he'll need some of that special treatment, and won't even be able to do a lot that many of us take for granted.

I no longer give any thought to why anyone gets special treatment. If I really want to know, I'll ask and usually get an answer and wind up having a nice and interesting conversation.

My advice is to just ignore anyone who looks at you funny or says anything. Or you could just turn it around and hit them with the blunt truth and watch them turn red with embarrassment. At any rate, you are not alone. Many many folks have INVISIBLE issues. I'm just glad that there are special options to allow your whole family to enjoy this magical place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom