WDW with a 3 month old?

boilerpicc

Original Poster
We might be crazy, but my family (husband, parents, brother, and sister-in-law) is planning on taking our normal vacation to WDW this September. The only difference is that this year we will have a daughter to bring with us. If she comes on her due date, she will be 15 weeks old when we go. We have all been there several times, so there is no concern about needing to see everything. We are also staying in a villa, so we will have extra room and a kitchen. Any recommendations for traveling with such a young child? I'm a first time mom, so aside from knowing that I need a stroller, I have no idea what I am in for.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
My older son's first visit was when he was 6 months old, and the younger went at 3 months. So you aren't crazy.

There's a thousand recommendations for travelling with such a young child, and for doing so at WDW. Biggest thing, though, is to prepare to be tired and for everything to take longer and go slower than you expect. If you child turns out to be a decent stroller sleeper, though, your visit to WDW won't be overly difficult. If he/she isn't a good stroller sleeper -- well, at that age, they nap so often that you'll have trouble seeing much of anything.

The good news is that you'll have so many relatives there, that you'll have help. They may, however, get tired of waiting for you, so make sure to be flexible. Also, make sure you con one of your relative to watching the baby for a few hours at least once during the trip so you and your husband can enjoy a dinner a calm walk (and maybe even a couple spins on Space Mountain or something) alone.

docdebbi

my grandsons are 1 1/2 and 3 1/2 years old. they have been to disneyworld 4 times. in retrospect, we can tell you that the trip when the first was only 3 months old was the easiest by far! as my daughter (their mother) puts it, "he's still just a sack of potatoes we have to carry around, an adorable sack, but a sack". really, other than seeing to his basic needs, he is not that big a change from your prior trips. usually at 3 months old, they'll nap anywhere, eat only one food, mess a couple diapers. you will worry a lot, but he will be fine just being snuggled up against you or napping in a stroller.
once they are about 6 months old or more, you start centering the trip on what you can do to make them happy/ enjoy the trip. you want to expose them to the sights, the sounds, the parades, etc.
go now, it's the last adult type trip you will take, believe me, after this, it's all about the babe's enjoyment.
also- consider garden grocer. at least if the baby is formula fed not nursed. we always have diapers, wipes and formula delivered to the hotel. a lot easier than using valuable suitcase space for them. not sure it is worth it if you don't also need formula, just diapers and wipes. but keep it in mind as the babe grows. we usually get diapers, wipes, formula, disposable bibs, baby food and then throw in some adult/room snacks, breakfasts as long as they are delivering.
PS- C0NGRATULATIONS!!!

boilerpicc

Original Poster
Thanks for the tip on the garden grocer. I was kind of wondering how we were going to pack the metric ton of diapers we will probably need. That's a good idea. I also get the feeling that having the new grandparents there will be very helpful.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom