WDW with a 2 year old- are we screwed?

RebeccaMA

Original Poster
Well you know what, we will be staying off-property, so my thinking is that there are lots of sit-down restaurants outside WDW property that we can go to without a reservation. I recall buffets, steakhouses, and other restaurants nearby. So I think I will bring the 407-WDW-DINE number with me, and see if we can make a last minute ADR if we feel like it, but I'm not going to push it before we leave home. I'm having a hard time getting DH to help with the planning of this trip right now. Maybe when we are a month out, he will get more interested. We still have a few more things to get through in the next couple of weeks- surviving a visit from my mother, and juggling daycare's vacation. Maybe after August 16th, we can sit down and figure out any ADRs. Right now he won't even look at the Disney brochures. I tried to show him his MYW ticket last night, and he wouldn't even look at it.

shoppingnut

FYI, if you're eating during the average dinner hour, even outside disney you will most likely have to wait too, since many people will be doing exactly what you're doing.

RebeccaMA

Original Poster
True. I realize that. I guess for now we will risk it. I have the WDW Dine number in my cell phone, and several restaurants marked on my Google maps, etc. I have the Unofficial Guide and the AAA guides, and I'm finally getting my DH interested in the planning. So we'll see what happens. I also have the Orlando Magic card somewhere I think too.

happymom52003

Keep in mind that there is no penalty for canceling an adr. Unless of course it is a prepaid meal like Cinderella's Royal Table or one held by a credit card like California Grill...even then, you can still cancel as long as you follow their cancelation policy.

I know it can be overwhelming to try and plan out adr's for an entire vacation. But why not go ahead and make a few adr's, just in case?

Character meals are so much fun and a GREAT way to get pictures with the characters without having to wait in long lines....especially with a two year old. Two year olds do not do well in a 45 minute (or longer) line to meet the characters in the parks! I'd suggest the Garden Grill at Epcot for a two year old. We like it becasue it is not a buffet. Personally, we find it easier to do non-buffets with small kids since they cant get up to get their own food yet. But...on the other hand, buffets do offer more variety for kids who are picky eaters. For a buffet, I'd suggest either Chef Mickeys or Crystal Palace.

On our first trip with the kids, I had only made one character meal for our trip, and it happened to be on our first full day there. It was so awesome, we decided we wanted to do more. I called Disney Dining as soon as we got back to our resort room and there were NO character meal times available ANYWHERE for the rest of our trip! So it really is next to impossible to get an adr for character meals once your trip arrives. You might get lucky, but the cards will be stacked very high against you.

Glad to see your DH is starting to take an interest. With my DH, I've learned that he can only take so much of the planning before he gets frustrated with me:rolleyes:, so I do the most of the major planning and then just kind of run the details by him once I get it all sorted out.

Good luck! Planning all this stuff can be frustrating at times, but it can also be alot of fun!:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom