WDW with 18 year old

WVParkfan

Original Poster
We’ve been to WDW 10 times, but not for 7 years. Son is now 24 and moved to West Coast. Daughter turns 18 and graduates from High School in 2 weeks. Our trip in June is her graduation present. Just Mom, Dad, and grad.

We know there are new things since our last trip, but we’ve never been to Disney World without kids. Any advice or experiences on your first time with grown kids? She’s excited (it was her request), but only has memories as a little girl.

jloucks

We’ve been to WDW 10 times, but not for 7 years. Son is now 24 and moved to West Coast. Daughter turns 18 and graduates from High School in 2 weeks. Our trip in June is her graduation present. Just Mom, Dad, and grad.

We know there are new things since our last trip, but we’ve never been to Disney World without kids. Any advice or experiences on your first time with grown kids? She’s excited (it was her request), but only has memories as a little girl.

No advice yet, but I am right behind you. My eldest turned 17 yesterday. I totally plan on taking her during college. I have seen that older kids revert to younger kids @ WDW. It is awesome. I'm hoping when she is 22 and we go, she can be 16 again. :)

LauraRose

I can only help in the perspective as the 18 year old! I’m just turning 21 in 2 weeks and going disneyworld Tuesday! However I had two trips with my parents when I was 10 then 11, we went back when I was 17 and also last year for my 20th. I always revert back to being a little girl but I’m obsessed with Disney anyway... you know your own kid wether they’ll like it but I know I loved it and still do. Also I have plenty of friends who at 18 would jump at the chance to go with family!

Disney is Disney I’m sure you’ll al have a wonderful time!

MissingDisney

Enjoy some nice restaurants (the really nice ones :hungry:)and arrange for some special dinners or maybe a celebration cake as a surprise! We enjoy having excellent dining experiences with our teens and we’ve been surprised to learn how much they enjoy it, too and how special those times have been to them, as well. Enjoy!

EricsBiscuit

I've always enjoyed the parks since I was little. My advice would be the same as to any guest: do the attractions that you haven't done before. The ones you thought maybe I'll do it later and never got around to it (for example CBJ, WDWRR, CoP, etc.).

My daughter is 16 and can't wait for our June trip. She actually loves visiting rides/characters that were special to her as a child. Winnie the Pooh has always been her favorite and we took her to Crystal Palace for her sweet 16 bday. She still loves all the rides and now shows great interest in things like American Adventure, Hall of Presidents, exploring country pavilions, and Carosel of Progress. Pick a special dinner based on her interests. See what she might like to do that is nostalgic for her childhood and also newer interests as a young adult. Disney is the perfect place to celebrate new beginnings while also being able to have a childlike heart. Have a wonderful time!

ajkraz

I'm a 17 year old guy, I've grown to appreciate the classics more and enjoy the thrill rides, also I like the food a lot more than I used to and don't mind more sophisticated dinning options, maybe that's just me though

DisneyFreak

I continued to go on trips to WDW with Mom/Dad/Sis until I was 22. There is plenty to do but we also had Pleasure Island.

SteamboatJoe

New stuff is always good and should be done but if she is the young at heart type, I would also ask her if she has any fond memories of any specific attractions, places, characters, experiences, or photos from childhood. Re-living or recreating those highlights of childhood, if possible, can be a nostalgic and magical experience. You may be surprised at some of the little things she remembers.

disneygeek90

I'm 27 and still go to WDW often with my parents (I am local now). Don't stress it! I have the best days when I am in Disney with my parents. Make decisions together and have fun with whatever you do.

DfromATX

Our kids are 15, 20, 21, and 22 and we've been going since the "baby" was 4. We're going in June and everyone is very excited! No tips needed. If you're a Disney fan, then there's no age limits! With adult kids it's still fun and you can move a lot faster and take a lot less in the parks!

P.S. - And like others have said, they all revert to being little kids again, which I LOVE seeing!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

She will turn into the 12 y/o you wish she was when she was really 12 is all I can say.

thomas998

Maybe I'm missing something but I think the key is going to be asking her what she wants to do since its a trip for her and she wanted to do it. You could ask a dozen parents of an 18 year old girl what their daughter enjoyed most and you would probably have a dozen different answers. If you are think of planning some surprise meal or something for her that you don't want her to know about then again you know her better than anyone here so think about what you know she enjoys... If she hated Star Wars, Avatar or Toy Story then you can cross certain things off the list... but those are probably the only things new since she was there.

macefamily

Mine are 22, 20, and 17. Been to Disney 24 times throughout their lives. The 22 yr old just finished her Disney College program and the 20 yr old starts his in September. It's better when the kids are older because they'll communicate what they want to do. They still go for the classic rides, but they enjoy sitting down for a nice meal somewhere. The oldest will also enjoy a drink with mom and dad. Disney transcends the ages. I could see myself shuffling around the park with my wife when we're in our 80's.

Walt Disney1955

All I can say is this. I first went when I was 10. Loved it all the way until I was 21. Didn't go again until 29. I told myself: "Look, you are a grown man now, don't be disappointed if the place just doesn't feel the same anymore." Yeah..........right. I think I loved it in 2009 more than any other time I went. Then I told myself that about going to Disneyland in 2012. Then when we went to WDW in 2017 that maybe it won't "feel" the same anymore now that we have our kids.

I was wrong on all counts. So that's all I can say. I don't know how an 18 year old couldn't like it and the reason I say that is because I was that age and loved it...........and still do.

higgipoker

I went when I was 11, 12, 16, 35 and 37 (last year!) and it just gets better and better with each visit! So much so that I'm off again in July this year! :)

And that's coming form Europe, so it's a major deal for us. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom