WDW turning into Six Flags??

Mission: SPACE

Montu at BGT does have some theming... they used to have alligators at the beginning that you went over top of... now, if I remember right, they removed them... Also during the ride, you do go down in those 'sandy' tunnels... you could stretch and call this theming... :lol: :lol: :lol:

MKCustodial

Originally posted by wdwfan65
:hammer: how can anyone compair DISNEY to six flags????? six flags is crap,bring on a better topic.

Well, that's the reason of this topic, we're all afraid that Disney may be trying to become crap, or that it may be going towards crap without realizing.

DCL

I don't think it's like they're turning into Six Flags or anything, but they need rides that will appeal to every member of the family, and I believe they're doing a good job of that so far, with test track, RnRC, and so on... keep up the good work!

I must admit though, that the non-thrill rides are definately my favorites. But, I love EVERYTHING about Disney... a true disney freak in every sense of the word!

wdwjmp239

Originally posted by mlayton14
I am 31 yo and have been to Disney about 8 times or so since I was a small little kid. It seems more and more with Disney that their future plans are focus more on "thrill rides" than "magic" that draws me there time after time. Does anyone else agree with this?

Maybe I am in the minority, but the best part of the Disney to me are the rides like the departed Horizons/20k leagues, Splash Mt, Great Movie Ride, Pirates, Spaceship Earth, etc. I hope I am wrong that Disney is going to buy more into the cheap thrills of just throwing people around in the air, and build magic into these rides to make you feel like youre in a fantasy.

Thanks,:confused:

I remember watching The Discovery Channel at home a few months ago and they were doing a documentary on Roller Coasters and Theme Parks in general. One "thrill ride analyst/roller coaster consultant" had said that more and more people are looking for rides that "push the envelope" as far as thrills goes. People (mainly thrillseekers) are looking for rides that take them up high and drop them real fast. They're also looking for sharply banked turns, corkscrew twists, as well as a number of "near-death" (if you want to call it that) features in a ride that will definitely get the adrenaline flowing.

I myself am not a thrill seeker and can no longer do roller coasters (I did the Incredible Hulk at Universal Studio's Islands Of Adventure a couple of years ago and got devastatingly sick). I'd like to see Disney find a happy medium between the thrill rides and the rides you can get on to "remember the magic." :)

I actually think that Disney has excelled in the themeing of most of their "thrill rides." I think RnRC has pretty good themeing. The ride itself isn't very themed (neither is Space Mountain...), but the loading area lighting and "look" is VERY well done...

However, I agree they've been a bit weaker in recent years in the A through D ticket rides - epecially the Dino-Rama.
Originally posted by imagineer boy
It's made to look quite cheesey and I believe that the Imagineers get an A in themeing there. It's just so funny. It has about everything a cheesey carnival would have.
I know this has been discussed before, but I can't see how a classy theme park themeing things as "cheesy carnival" is good? It's pretty pathetic way to theme on the cheap, in my opinion.

I just don't get it - "we're TRYING to look like our worst competitors" is not a theme in my opinion...

josh_e_washie

everyone here knows that disney is STILL leaps and bounds ahead of other parks when it comes to creativity and uniqueness. Disney is the leader in technology as well. They were the first and always will be because they approach entertainment and people in a different way: they aren't out just to entertain our adrenaline...but also our eyes, ears, touch and in some cases...noses and mouths! I really don't ever worry about anyone 'catching up to' disney in this respect. In fact, I have been to many theme parks where I could see a definite attempt to mimic disney traits...but there is only one DISNEY!!!:sohappy: :sohappy: ;)

Michael72688

I'm gonna say it, Disney is looking at the future, they are seeing the thrill rides are the answer, if they continue to waist money on "nonthrill rides" there will be nobody there ten years from now, they are doing whats right, of course in my opinion.

TURKEY

Originally posted by Michael72688
I'm gonna say it, Disney is looking at the future, they are seeing the thrill rides are the answer, if they continue to waist money on "nonthrill rides" there will be nobody there ten years from now, they are doing whats right, of course in my opinion.

I'll be there in 10 years as long as there is a WDW. There's more to life than thrill rides.

Crazy4Figment

I'm also worried that Disney is focussing to much on thrill rides. While Disney thrill rides are well themed and far from being cheap they are also for the most part not family friendly. I love coasters but I also love Disney gentle rides. These are the type of rides that you can share with anyone especially people who do not like thrill rides. If I want to go for wild rides I can always go to Six Flags, but Disney to me is first and foremost a family shared park and shouldn't stray from that. Just my opinion.

surfsupdon

Disney is not going in a direction towards Six Flags. I live in NJ about 45 minutes from Six Flags Great Adventure--completely terrible. And it is not terrible because they solely have mega rollercoasters and thrills (that only last sub 60seconds--but thats another story), but because they lack any kind of theming or "prettiness." There are no gardens full of flowers, gum is stuck to everything, pathways are rippled and bent up, the parking lot is a total WRECK...it is obvious they just do not care about appearance. By Disney geting thrill rides they are not turning into Six Flags b/c Disney does it right, they care and make everything the best. Six Flags GA just never has flowers, and for anyone who goes there, WHAT IS UP WITH THAT FUNKY CRAPPY SMELL OVER BY THE LOGFLUME AND RUNAWAY TRAIN??! (its always there)

Irrawaddy Erik

Originally posted by Michael72688

Disney is not about Thrill rides, it's about Family a place were EVERYONE can have fun, no matter how young or old. Will Disney start to make more thrill rights, probably so, but they will never get rid of as you call them "nonthrill rides". What you see as waisting money for building nonthrill rides some may see it as a good investment. Look at the Haunted Mansion, Peter Pan, Dumbo, and it's a small world. These attractions are by no means thrill rides but they thrill you in a different way. Not with adrenaline but with a more simplistic time (a way of forgeting your problem) These attractions can be considered the best Disney attractions around.

justinsul1

I am glad that Disney is starting to build some thrill rides because if they didn't, nobody excpet us disney maniacs would go. And then, they would go out of business and the old favorites like COP, JC, HM, etc., will be gone FORVER! I go to 6 flags great adventure often and I think that it is a great park in terms of rides and I think it is themed pretty adequetely. But, there is no magic there. When I went to WDW, I loved the magic of the CMs but was disapointed by the lack of exciting rides. Everything seemed old. Even TT was a joke. I mean, going 65 MPH with the roof open is done all the time if you have ever ridden in a convertible! So, for Disney to build thrill rides would be like the best of both worlds. We would have the magic throughout the park and be thrilled at the same time.

MKCustodial

Originally posted by justinsul1
I am glad that Disney is starting to build some thrill rides because if they didn't, nobody excpet us disney maniacs would go. And then, they would go out of business and the old favorites like COP, JC, HM, etc., will be gone FORVER! I go to 6 flags great adventure often and I think that it is a great park in terms of rides and I think it is themed pretty adequetely. But, there is no magic there. When I went to WDW, I loved the magic of the CMs but was disapointed by the lack of exciting rides. Everything seemed old. Even TT was a joke. I mean, going 65 MPH with the roof open is done all the time if you have ever ridden in a convertible! So, for Disney to build thrill rides would be like the best of both worlds. We would have the magic throughout the park and be thrilled at the same time.

Lemme see if I got you: if Disney doesn't start building thrill rides all around property it'll go bankrupt and they'll have to close the parks???? Man, I'd LOVE to see the kind of numbers that sparked that theory! :lol: :hammer: :hammer:

Truth be told, WDW, and DL before it, survived a long time without the help of cheap thrills, and I still think they can pull it off. You don't need to appeal to adrenaline-hungry teens to guarantee superiority. In a few decades those same teens will steer clear of those rides, and they'll be another empty space ready to tear down. They should invest Imagineers' time and money on inventive attractions for the whole family, like the animatronic dark rides.

Slinky Dog

Truth be told, WDW, and DL before it, survived a long time without the help of cheap thrills, and I still think they can pull it off. You don't need to appeal to adrenaline-hungry teens to guarantee superiority. In a few decades those same teens will steer clear of those rides, and they'll be another empty space ready to tear down. They should invest Imagineers' time and money on inventive attractions for the whole family, like the animatronic dark rides. [/B][/QUOTE]

Absolutely, I couldn't agree with you more, the western world's population is living longer and so there will continue to be an ageing population. It's the grown-ups that have the disposable income, and I know where I'd rather go to spend it! :sohappy:

I'd rather the attractions take my breath away by the imagination and inventiveness that has gone into creating them. I personally don't think TT is a joke, yes I have driven at 65mph in a drop top, but I very rarely go on a car proving ground (yes I know TT is not exactly like that), in fact the only time I do get the opportunity is at WDW, which is why I go to Disney parks, because they provide something that no other parks do, that's why I can, and do, plan a vacation solely around Disney, other park are just not worth it and there's far too much other great places to see in the US anyway.

I think I have gone on long enough :zipit:

Justin

I disagree with the most.

Disney isn't concentrating only on thrill rides, and if they are its only because its due to the lack of thrill rides that they have.
There can be
lots of debates on this pertaining to "thrill rides" they build theirs at low standard so that everyone can enjoy it. Like RnR, if you take a look at it,
Its nothing compared to the Six Flags Rides,Anheisure Busch,Cedar Fair, or Universal stylish coasters.

and for one thing at the most it is not an unmagical thrill ride, They took the standard of a regular launched coaster and put magic into it with the theming..

The rides cant continue to be built as "small children rides" or "family style" rides, which there is nothing wrong with, but you do need a variety in your park besides not having thrills at all.
As much as i love Disney
I would love to see more of the thrills in their parks, Even if they dont have as much as the other parks, or wont get anything intensly thrilling, i still wouldn't mind seeing something done.

And the rides wouldn't be unmagical if to build a thrill ride, They would not go as low standard as their coasters built on parking lots... dirt... water... and just grass with fences around them...

I think either way disney does this it would still be an amazing attraction(s) nothing against them nothing with them...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom