Pre-Trip WDW SURPRISE TRIP SEPT 15-23

A little background regarding the trip and the family. I am a single part time full time father. Meaning I have my children week on week off. Kids, DS 10 & DD 8, asked last year about going to WDW. I told them it was not a cheap trip and we would have to be careful of our spending in order to be able to save for the trip. I told them we should be able to make it if everything works out in 2-3 years. We also live in Canada near Ottawa.

Well, things have fallen into place to allow the trip to be moved up. I came into some money which will help with the payment of the trip as long as I don't make it too expensive. I was originally thinking of somewhere between March and May, 2017. Depending upon the date, would be around DD's birthday. However looking at attendance stats came to find out September has one of the lowest attendance records compared to other months of the year. This would really work out for us. As luck would have it, I actually have the children for 3 weeks the middle of September. This would make it easier to book around flights and other things. Not to mention DS's birthday will be during this time.

The trip has been booked since late May. Have also decided to drive instead of flying. Partially to save money, part to get the surprise for as long as possible and being able to do a pre side trip. A lot of planning and research has gone into the trip, including a number of posts on this site. Have also changed several 'plans' including the date for MNSSHP as it would have negatively affected the following days planned events. DS's birthday celebration at DHS.

The three of us are not major 'thrill' ride fans. This will help in the use of FP+s and give us more time to enjoy all the other attractions. Kids are huge Star Wars fans. DS's birthday is the 21st and the idea is to spend the day at DHS, mainly for all the Star Wars attractions, with the prime goal to have Jedi Training. Have heard need to be there prior to rope drop to get on the Jedi Training list. This is why I changed the date for our MNSSHP after I found out the party went until midnight. Thinking we might not get back to our room some time around 1:00 am, there was no way my two would be up early enough to make DHS rope drop. Did I mention they are not early risers. Even though they have stated they would be if/when we went. We still talk like we are going, but in another year or two. Shhhh, they still don't know we will be there in less than 60 days.

My daughter also loves giraffes. They are her most loved animal and she has a number of giraffe stuffies. When I heard about DAK and AKL, I looked into staying at an AKL room with a savanna room. DD would just die/love looking out the balcony and watching giraffes walking around the savanna just outside our room. Unfortunately, this turned out to be just to expensive for us. I did however get some advice on how to get her close and at another site feed them.

ADRs and FP+s have been made. ADRs were done a few months after the 180 day mark but I think I got all I wanted. In the park character ADRs in order to get the maximum M&Gs for the little ones.

Below is what I have planned to date, and hoping they will not change much.

Sept 14
Check into Tampa Hotel

Sept 15
Busch Gardens visit (have ticket for their safari which has opportunity to feed giraffes)
5-7 pm check into All Star Sports

Sept 16 MK
Planning taking advantage of EMH 8-9 am to do 7dwarfs/peter pan/adventure of winnie the pooh
9:55 - 10:55 Under the Sea Journey Little Mermaid
11:00 - 12:00 Ariel's Grotto
12:00 - 1:00 Enchanted Tales with Belle
may do a few other things but plan to head back to hotel for lunch/swim/rest/change
hoping to get extra FP for Mickey Mouse at town square theater or tinker bell before heading back to the hotel. Or at worse when we return.
4:00 return to MK to participate in MNSSHP and take advantage of all the party events/M&Gs/treat and treating.
Dinner will consist of a quick service, in order to not lose to much party time and will be dependent upon where in the park we are.

Sept 17 DAK
don't expect to get up to early so planning on arriving around noon.
1:10 -2:10 Adventures outpost Mickey/Minnie M&G
2:10 - 3:10 Kali River Rapids
5:30 ADR Yak & Yeti
6:10 - 7:10 Kilimanjaro Safari
(QS lunch depending upon where we are and when kids get hungry)

Sept 18 Epcot
Test Track at rope drop
9:20 - 10:20 Space Ship
10:30 - 11:30 Epcot Character Spot M&G
12:15 - 1:15 Frozen Ever After
would like to get extra FP for Soarin
1:35 ADR Coral Reef
6:00 ADR Akershus

Sept 19 MK
10:00 ADR Cinderella's Round Table (hoping to do Merida & Alice M&G before hand)
11:00 -12:00 Cinderella and guest M&G
12:00 - 1:00 Rapunzal and guest M&G
1:05 - 2:05 Buzz Lightyear
would like to get extra FP for tomorrowland speedway
4:00 QS lunch at Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe
9:20 ADR Chef Mickey

Sept 20 DAK
9:05 - 10:05 Kilimanjaro safari
12:00 QS lunch Pizzafari
1:00 - 2:00 It's tough to be a bug
3:00 Festival of the Lion King
would like to get another FP for evening safari
5:35 ADR Tusker

Sept 21 DHS
Have purchased EMM ticket so we will be able to enter at 7:45
during this time would like to take advantage of Olaf/Mickey&Minnie/Woody&Buzz M&Gs and toy mania. Not sure if have time for Star Tours, maybe taking pictures outside without the crowds.
This should also allow us to get into the Jedi Training sign up line by about 8:30ish in order to ensure us a spot on the list.
9:45 Breakfast at ABC Commissary
10:25 - 11:25 Great Movie ride
12:10 - 1:10 Star Tours: the adventures continues
1:45 Voyage of the Little Mermaid
6:35 ADR 50s Cafe
considering the park hours will more than likely miss Fantasmic! for Star Wars: A galatic Spectacular

Sept 22 MK

9:55 - 10:55 Pirates of the Caribbean
10:55 - 11:55 Jungle Cruise
12:00 QS lunch Peco's Bill Tall Tale Inn & Cafe
12:40 - 1:40 Splash Mountain
would like to get a FP for Haunted Mansion for later
3:50 ADR Crystal Palace

Sept 23 check out and sadly start drive home

I am not sure if I mentioned it above, but this is my first visit in about 40 years. Things have change a lot since I have been there. I am trying to 'organize' this trip to the best of my ability and to ensure the most magical adventure for my two. In all honestly, considering the cost of WDW trips and financial situation, I don't expect we will be returning. this is why I would like to make this trip as amazing for them as possible. Reviewing the above, I second guess some of my choices but think I have most of it down correctly. However, I don't have the experience of visiting WDW as most of you have.

I won't mind hearing what you all have to say regarding the above. I understand our likes may not be the same as most others in wanting to ride all the 'thrill' rides as much as possible. As such, I would rather not hear any negative comments regarding not scheduling any of the 'big' rides. Any other comments/suggestions would be welcomed.

I want to make this trip the best possible and want to ensure I don't miss anything.

Thank you

joshsprincess921

Looks like a fun time. How long will it take you to drive down? Can't wait to hear about how surprised your kid's are when they find out. Busch Gardens is fun, but I mainly did all the coasters when I went. Lots of them!
Also, your son and I share a birthday. Celebrating your birthday is Disney is the best!

Scoppin

Original Poster
Looks like a fun time. How long will it take you to drive down? Can't wait to hear about how surprised your kid's are when they find out. Busch Gardens is fun, but I mainly did all the coasters when I went. Lots of them!
Also, your son and I share a birthday. Celebrating your birthday is Disney is the best!

According to a number of different sources it should take about 20 hours. This does not include any stops. I plan on having the majority of everything packed and loaded in the van prior to them coming home on Sunday the 11th. Wake them up as per normal on Monday as if they were going to school then at the last minute telling them they will not be going to school and to grab their soft blankets, pillows, stuffies and some toys for the ride. All the while not actually telling them where we are going. I plan on taking my time driving down staying over night somewhere both Monday and Tuesday night. Kids also love to swim,so being able to take advantage of a pool would interest them.

PacNWTigger

Sounds like an amazing trip you have planned for your kids! I am excited for the three of you to experience the parks. Keep us posted for your additional plans/ideas! Good luck keeping everything a secret too. ;)

Scoppin

Original Poster
Sounds like an amazing trip you have planned for your kids! I am excited for the three of you to experience the parks. Keep us posted for your additional plans/ideas! Good luck keeping everything a secret too. ;)

We always do something each summer. Nothing this big but a weekend away taking in some parks/attractions. And always a surprise. I mentioned I was planning something this year and asked if they wanted to help plan or keep it as a secret. They replied to keep it a secret. I almost wanted them to say help plan to help with all this planning but the surprise works as well. I have a pretty good track record with my secret trips. I remember one time when we were stuck in traffic trying to get to our first secret attraction of a weekend. DD was in the back asking where we were going and what the secret was. After a few enquirers, DS replied to DD not to worry as all my surprises were awesome. I asked sort of in surprise, if that was true. He confirmed and I thanked him. It also made me happy knowing I was doing a great job with my surprise trips and giving them lasting memories. Oh, we were on our way to Medieval Times dinner and show. The kids were dressed in costume and dancing in the aisle ways. I did upgrade and got front row seats. Kids would have been 4 and 7 at the time. I did ask DS if the surprise meet his awesome expectations and I got two thumbs up.

I know this trip will be really difficult to top anytime. But it should give them some long lasting loving memories.

Scoppin

Original Poster
I little update on our plans.

I have had lost hope of being able to get a dinner ADR for Hollywood & Vine for the 21st, but was able to get one for 7:00 pm. Had to cancel our 50s Cafe ADR but this adds one more character dinner and at a good time for us. The added plus is that Minnie and friends will be in their Halloween costumes. Also thinking of a QS service lunch at around 2:10 at the Trolly Car Cafe.

I have a question regarding Tuskers. I did have a lunch ADR but gave that up for a dinner ADR. However I am a little confused as one reason for eating there is for Donald and friends in their safari outfits. The lunch ADR actually stated lunch with safari Donald and the dinner ADR does not. However, the WDW site states the following: "Join Safari Donald Duck and friends at this colorful Harambe marketplace eatery for a wild Character Dining experience regardless of time of day—from breakfast and lunch to the family-style dinner buffet—all brimming with African flavor." From the above I would take away Donald is there throughout the day. Can anyone confirm? It would be really nice to hear from someone who has been there recently for dinner.

The two above would give us 6 character meals which would be great for the kids to be able to meet as many characters as possible for their first visit. It also gives us the option not to M&G some characters in the parks if so desired in order to give us more time for other things.

I have also reviewed my breakfast/lunch/dinner plans and noticed I am a little off on my free dining entitlements. I am entitled to 8 table service and 8 quick service. I currently have used 9 table service credits and 7 quick service. Thinking of cancelling our Yak & and Yeti ADR and use a quick service in its place.

I would like to alter our 3:50 Crystal Palace ADR to somewhere between 4:30 and 7:30. This would just give us more time in the 3 lands to the left of WDW before dinner and closer to the Electrical parade, but not to late it would impede us getting a good spot to view it.

Scoppin

Original Poster
I think most of our plans are set. Of course there could still be some modifications to come. It may not be possible but I won't mind modifying 3 of our ADR dinners:

Sept 18 Akershus for 6:00 pm. Won't mind if this was a little later. Just a little.

Sept 21 Hollywood & Vine for 7:00 pm. Would like to see if I can get it a little sooner. As is, would make it close to get a spot for the Galactic Spectacular, especially at the rate DD eats. But if she is hungry it can be a different story. However this was a last minute pickup so can't complain too much. Maybe, getting there a little early would allow us to get a table earlier. Worth trying.

Sept 22 Crystal Palace for 3:50 pm. This could very well be way to early for DD to have dinner shortly after lunch. Can already hear the comments of not being hungry. If able to push it an hour or two later would give us more time in the park before taking a break and DD should be hungry by that time.

Fingers crossed able to adjust the above.

Scoppin

Original Poster
Well, apparently some adjustments are just beyond my control. Just got off the phone with a CM who had to deliver some bad news. Apparently they have adjusted the days they are going to have their Early Morning Magic hours for Hollywood studios. They are only going to have them on Mondays and not Wednesdays for the month of September. The biggest disappointment of this, is that is was part of DS's birthday present. Especially being able to be in the park early to be in line for Jedi Training, not to mention breakfast and able to ride some of the rides. Oh, I tried to mention/use his birthday in order to get more than the three fast passes she was offering. And apparently this fast passes I don't have to book before hand. Just use them as we want. But now may have to find an early ADR breakfast in get into the park early. Arg.

Scoppin

Original Poster
Currently I haven't had any luck changing the times for the three ADRs, but I was able to get an early ADR at Hollywood & Vine for 8:35 am on the 21st. So, looks like we will still be able to get into the park early before rope drop. Will just have to do some fancy talking to be able to leave our table in order to get into the Jedi Training line. Hoping the birthday angle will work.

So, unless I am missing something and since I am new to all this I may very well may be, the only thing I have left to figure out is how we are getting down to WDW. First, thought of flying but that changed in order to save some money. Then the thought was how to avoid the DC traffic. Now, is how can I make this more of an adventure for the kids. I think I have come up with a plan to have one route going down and another coming back. This will allow the kids to travel through more States and cities. So, currently is my plan.

Thinking going down to drive along the Eastern coast line with the first stop being Virginia Beach. This will be the longest portion of the trip, being about 11 hours driving time, not including stops. This will make the rest of the trip a little more relaxing. Virginia Beach will give the kids a few new experiences; the Chesapeake tunnel and bridge system (which I have been on) and being able to see the Atlantic. I would be nice for them to dip their toes into the Atlantic. Then off to Savannah, GA which is about 8 hours driving time. This will leave only about a 5 hour trip to Tampa on the 14th. And of course final stop of Orlando after doing Busch Gardens.

Thinking we will not be leaving WDW too early on the 23rd have decided to shorten the drive times for the way home. First a 7.5 hour drive to Charlotte, NC. Then an 8 hour drive to Hersey, PA. This should only leave a 6 hour drive for our final leg to get home.

I would like to experience a little of the above cities but not sure how it will fit into the schedule. The other matter is I don't want to make it too stressed or overload the kids before we even get to WDW.

ScarletBegonias

I love surprise trips! When do you think you will tell them!? (sorry if I missed that!)

We are in Maryland and drive and it's about 16 hours door to door. We split it over 2 days to make it much less stressful. We stopped at a beach in FL this year and we really enjoyed it!

I can't wait to hear about this trip, it's going to be so fun!

Scoppin

Original Poster
I love surprise trips! When do you think you will tell them!? (sorry if I missed that!)

We are in Maryland and drive and it's about 16 hours door to door. We split it over 2 days to make it much less stressful. We stopped at a beach in FL this year and we really enjoyed it!

I can't wait to hear about this trip, it's going to be so fun!

If possible when we pull up to the gates. :cool:

Scoppin

Original Poster
I was thinking of not getting the MDE app until we got to WDW, however may be a good idea sooner rather than later in order to get use to maneuvering around it before we get to WDW. We just got back from an extra long weekend visiting family at their trailer by the lake. They had wifi so I decided to use the internet to check on modifying some of my ADRs. I am glad I did as I became aware of a few issues with my phone. Just being on the internet tapped out the battery quickly and was not very quick. Also, there was not any memory to add anything else. Wondering if this was because the phone was about 4 years old. Nay, couldn't be that. Well, I decided to upgrade my phone, finally. The was accomplished today. I may have also added the reason for the upgrade was to have a phone capable of working the MDE app next month as didn't think current phone was up for the challenge. After getting the 'free' upgrade and transferring the data to the new phone, the CS rep mentioned they added a little something in the bag for our trip, a power bank. I thanked them and added it will come in handy for those long days at the parks trying to get those extra FPs and will ensure I don't lose phone power.

There was another situation while away for the weekend. DS doesn't like the feeling of cream on his skin. Either it be skin lotion or sun screen. We went to the beach a number of times so sun screen was a must. I mentioned to him, how he was going to be when we went to WDW next year as sun screen would be a must for the long days in the sun. His reply, he didn't want to go. I replied back, really you don't want to go because of the sun screen? He stated yes and added it won't be that fun anyway it was just some rides and people in costumes, the character weren't even real. I looked over at DD and stated I guess it will be just you and I as DS will stay with his mother than. But I know my DS. This was a reaction to the sun screen and him reacting emotionally without thinking it through. You would think he was only 10 or something. I also knew, that given some time he would come back around. And if not, he was coming anyway.

The kids asked to play at the park after I coached DS's soccer team and since we didn't have anything planned for the next day agreed. They ended up playing with one of DS's soccer mates from last year. While the kids played the friend's mother and I watched and chatted. Come to find out they were at WDW in February. So, our conversation shifted to the topic of WDW and I shared we were going in September. I was nice to hear some new information and confirmation of others. Well, on the way home I was asked what we were speaking about. I was not sure how much the kids were able to hear of our conversation. I mentioned they had been to WDW and sharing some of their experiences as I shared we were going next year. I mentioned she shared pictures of her daughter with different characters such as Princesses, Mickey and BayMax. And she was able to get autographs as well. I may have added a few things I had also learned here. DS piped up with excitement and repeated, she got autographs! I didn't know you could get autographs! I think he is back on the bandwagon. :)

Me 'Earties

Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate
I would say try to ride the Kilimanjaro safari a couple times, if you can-we have always been very lucky to see many giraffes, even crossing the safari road in front of our jeep--I hope it happens during your surprise trip (which, by the way, very awesome). Your daughter will love it :). I'm sure your son will love it too, and I hope he gets to do the Jedi training. Always looked fun! Considering kids will be in school in September, you may have good luck getting a spot in the trainin, regardless of the change in EMH. Parents still pull their kids out of school for trips in Sept., but it definitely won't be like the summer.

Figment Forever

Just wanted to share... My Hope who is 7 has a lot of sensory issues and for a long time she could not tolerate the feel of cream or lotion. The thing that really helped us out was the sunscreen that can be spayed on. I guess that felt different to her and she didn't have a problem with it. Maybe you could give it a try?

We will be in MK n the 22nd - if you see us, please say hi! Have fun!!

Scoppin

Original Poster
I would say try to ride the Kilimanjaro safari a couple times, if you can-we have always been very lucky to see many giraffes, even crossing the safari road in front of our jeep--I hope it happens during your surprise trip (which, by the way, very awesome). Your daughter will love it :). I'm sure your son will love it too, and I hope he gets to do the Jedi training. Always looked fun! Considering kids will be in school in September, you may have good luck getting a spot in the trainin, regardless of the change in EMH. Parents still pull their kids out of school for trips in Sept., but it definitely won't be like the summer.

Hi,

Thanks. I plan on doing the safari at least a couple of times.

I am hoping it won't be as busy. One reason why decided to go in September. fingers crossed.

Scoppin

Original Poster
Just wanted to share... My Hope who is 7 has a lot of sensory issues and for a long time she could not tolerate the feel of cream or lotion. The thing that really helped us out was the sunscreen that can be spayed on. I guess that felt different to her and she didn't have a problem with it. Maybe you could give it a try?

We will be in MK n the 22nd - if you see us, please say hi! Have fun!!

Thanks, but he doesn't like the spray on sunscreen either. That is what I have been using for the past few years. It would be nice if he grew out of it. I am trying to be still in him that it is a must as I don't want him to get burnt which would ruin any future fun. And that goes beyond this trip. Not to mention the issues with skin cancer.

Scoppin

Original Poster
I was thinking of not getting the MDE app until we got to WDW, however may be a good idea sooner rather than later in order to get use to maneuvering around it before we get to WDW. We just got back from an extra long weekend visiting family at their trailer by the lake. They had wifi so I decided to use the internet to check on modifying some of my ADRs. I am glad I did as I became aware of a few issues with my phone. Just being on the internet tapped out the battery quickly and was not very quick. Also, there was not any memory to add anything else. Wondering if this was because the phone was about 4 years old. Nay, couldn't be that. Well, I decided to upgrade my phone, finally. The was accomplished today. I may have also added the reason for the upgrade was to have a phone capable of working the MDE app next month as didn't think current phone was up for the challenge. After getting the 'free' upgrade and transferring the data to the new phone, the CS rep mentioned they added a little something in the bag for our trip, a power bank. I thanked them and added it will come in handy for those long days at the parks trying to get those extra FPs and will ensure I don't lose phone power.

There was another situation while away for the weekend. DS doesn't like the feeling of cream on his skin. Either it be skin lotion or sun screen. We went to the beach a number of times so sun screen was a must. I mentioned to him, how he was going to be when we went to WDW next year as sun screen would be a must for the long days in the sun. His reply, he didn't want to go. I replied back, really you don't want to go because of the sun screen? He stated yes and added it won't be that fun anyway it was just some rides and people in costumes, the character weren't even real. I looked over at DD and stated I guess it will be just you and I as DS will stay with his mother than. But I know my DS. This was a reaction to the sun screen and him reacting emotionally without thinking it through. You would think he was only 10 or something. I also knew, that given some time he would come back around. And if not, he was coming anyway.

The kids asked to play at the park after I coached DS's soccer team and since we didn't have anything planned for the next day agreed. They ended up playing with one of DS's soccer mates from last year. While the kids played the friend's mother and I watched and chatted. Come to find out they were at WDW in February. So, our conversation shifted to the topic of WDW and I shared we were going in September. I was nice to hear some new information and confirmation of others. Well, on the way home I was asked what we were speaking about. I was not sure how much the kids were able to hear of our conversation. I mentioned they had been to WDW and sharing some of their experiences as I shared we were going next year. I mentioned she shared pictures of her daughter with different characters such as Princesses, Mickey and BayMax. And she was able to get autographs as well. I may have added a few things I had also learned here. DS piped up with excitement and repeated, she got autographs! I didn't know you could get autographs! I think he is back on the bandwagon. :)

I should add to the above that I also mentioned Chewy was also a character you could take a picture with and get an autograph. He was excited about this one to the point he wanted to bring his little Chewy action figure for him to sign. I had to say that I didn't think Chewy would be able to sign the figure as there really is no where to sign. But he could bring the figure and get a picture with both little and big Chewys.

Last edited:

TheMouseFan

I should add to the above that I also mentioned Chewy was also a character you could take a picture with and get an autograph. I was excited about this one to the point he wanted to bring his little Chewy action figure for him to sign. I had to say that I didn't think Chewy would be able to sign the figure as there really is no where to sign. But he could bring the figure and get a picture with both little and big Chewys.
Just a heads up, Chewy isn't able to sign any autographs! We asked in June.

Have you looked for the mineral powder sunscreen?

Sounds like you have a great trip planned! Have fun!

Scoppin

Original Poster
I now have my itinerary for our adventure both going to Orlando and returning home. I am hoping to leave the Ottawa area Monday, September 12th around 9:00 am as this is the time the kids get on the bus for school. The first leg going down is the longest at about 10 hours and 30 minutes with us stopping in Virginia Beach, Virginia. Depending upon our actually arrival time, we will more than likely just relax/swimming at the hotel. Leaving the visit to the beach and introduction to the Atlantic Ocean for the following morning.

The second leg is estimated at 7 hours and 15 minutes putting us in Savannah, Georgia. Haven't determined on if we will attempt to see some of the sights in Savannah. It would be a shame not to. Have to take into consideration our third leg with an estimated 4 hour and 45 minute travel time to arrive in Tampa Bay, Florida. Depending on the time we leave Savannah, will determine if we do anything in Tampa that night. I would like to have dinner at the Hard Rock, as I have visited several others in my previous journeys. The children haven't seen the inside of one either.

The real excitement should come the day of Thursday, September 15th and the charade should end. We will get to Busch Gardens to try to get in as many of the animal exhibits and a few rides as we can. If the kids thought I was deceiving them about not going to WDW, this should secure I was not. So, they would think. ;). I am hoping to compete most of Busch Gardens by 3ish so we can leave the park and travel our last hour and a half to our final destination, WDW. It would be nice to arrive in WDW between 5-7 pm in order to check in, have something to eat and maybe take a journey over to AKL to see if we would be able to see any of the animals. And then the true magical adventure begins the next morning for the next seven days.

I don't really want to think about leaving WDW before actually getting there but thought would also share our return journey. I don't expect to be leaving WDW to early so I thought I won't rush the return home, breaking it up into three legs. The first leg, which is approximately 7 hours and 40 minutes will take us to Charlotte, North Carolina. The second leg, which is approximately 7 hours and 30 minutes, will have us in Hersey, Pennsylvania. May just take a tour of the chocolate factory while we are there. This will only leave us a 6 hour and 40 minute ride back home. Of course, this will depend upon how busy the border crossing is as well.

It will be a lot of driving and being stuck in the confines of a van, but I think the hotels having pools will easy all of their pains. WDW may have something to do with it as well. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom