News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

wdwfan22

All the more reason to stay off property. Disney is making it too easy lately :hilarious:

Why almost all area 4 star hotels or higher charge for parking and assess a resort fee? Also several area offsite hotels are Valet only which means in addition to paying for parking you will be tipping to.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
No, you're paying to not stake out and deal with crowds to get a great viewing spot.

A spot that used to be for whoever wanted it. Now you gotta pay, They added "dessert" because it costs Disney next to nothing to supply and now people feel like they are getting something for their money.

The bolded is part of what makes me skeptical this is happening anytime soon, or at least blindly hopeful it won't. They have a commercial airing now that says you can get xx% discounts on WDW resort stays, and there is a specific mention of "complimentary park transportation." It could be that they're waiting for those bookings to be completed and their stays completed before implementing something so stupid.

Or you just don't include transportation in the resort fees. That's part of your normal rate. Problem solved. You're welcome TDO.

drizgirl

They make you scan your MagicBand when you enter a resort via car. Why not tell that person, when they scan their MagicBand - "By the way, you'll be charged $30 to park here if you don't scan out in 3 hours". To me, that would be a much simpler way to cut down, if not eliminate, people parking at resorts for "an ADR" and then hopping on the bus to whatever park they want to visit.
Lots of people don't have magic bands. Others that have them don't have a credit card attached.

Bob Harlem

Interestingly I heard of rumors of possibly dropping parking charges at Universal Hotels (for overnight guests), they also did away with charging for parking after 6PM for Citywalk today (for everyone, not just Florida Residents).

Me 'Earties

Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate
Most vacation destination resorts/hotels have it. I said earlier, the closer you get to whatever the main attraction in the area is, the more common it is. I can't think of many hotels/resorts near an ocean or city center (in a popular destination) that don't have them. Like I said, quite a few have valet only, which to me is much worse. I have to pay to park and tip every time I leave and return? Plus pay a resort fee. It's bs, but it's pretty common.

I am NOT saying that WDW should now have them as well.

Yes, that is true-I find it that the destination resorts have parking fees (I call it a "hub" but that would include destination resorts). But my statement is in regards to those who said all hotels have a parking fee-that is not true; outside of hubs/destination resorts, you're not going to pay a fee for parking.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Lots of people don't have magic bands. Others that have them don't have a credit card attached.

Point taken.

"I'm sorry, sir/ma'am, you can't park here without a MagicBand and a credit card associated to it". Problem solved. :D

But really, who doesn't have a MagicBand these days, outside of DVC members? AP holders get one, regular resort guests get one. DI$ sells them at multiple locations in each park. In my defense, though, I could be totally off-base, as my head is foggy and hurts from coughing so much over the past 3-4 days from whatever bug I picked up on Friday, either getting off of the Disney Dream, hanging out at Splitsville for a few hours, or at MCO.

montyz81

Since we're not paying resort fees now, what additional amenities will be added to suddenly justify a resort fee? Adding $50-$100 a day to the already outrageous resort prices may just be enough for me to call it quits for another year or two.
Shanghai Disneyland will be able to green light even more projects!

bigrigross

Yes, that is true-I find it that the destination resorts have parking fees (I call it a "hub" but that would include destination resorts). But my statement is in regards to those who said all hotels have a parking fee-that is not true; outside of hubs/destination resorts, you're not going to pay a fee for parking.

Even in cities near attractions, you can still find hotels that do not make you pay nightly for parking or resort fees. They just up their price a night. Thats why you should never just choose the cheapest hotel on orbitz or so. Sometimes its cheaper to pay the higher price, but also have free parking. Also, I just flat out refuse to stay anywhere that has the resort fee extra. Also, the places I have paid for parking, massive distinction between them and Disney rooms in terms of quality and size for the price. Usually, those places, the 15 or 20 a night that I pay, its forced valet which makes it not so bad.

21stamps

Yeah, I don't think the majority of "hotels" have it. Any hotel in/near a city center (including small coastal "cities"), or resorts will most likely have them. A Hilton/Marriott in Suberbia? Nope, more than likely you will not find one there. I'm shopping Seattle hotels currently, my goal- walking distance, as in less than 2 blocks, to Pike Place. I have to keep closing my internet browser bc the insane prices and fees are giving me heartburn. I may have to push those 2 blocks to 6,7, or 10...maybe even an Uber ride away.lol.

21stamps

Even in cities near attractions, you can still find hotels that do not make you pay nightly for parking or resort fees. They just up their price a night. Thats why you should never just choose the cheapest hotel on orbitz or so. Sometimes its cheaper to pay the higher price, but also have free parking. Also, I just flat out refuse to stay anywhere that has the resort fee extra. Also, the places I have paid for parking, massive distinction between them and Disney rooms in terms of quality and size for the price. Usually, those places, the 15 or 20 a night that I pay, its forced valet which makes it not so bad.

You prefer valet? That $20 turns into $30-$35 very quickly without self parking.

CJR

Parking charges are more strategic. They're actually wanting people to not pay for parking (in other words, not bring a car). Disney wants their guests as trapped on property as possible.

21stamps

Parking charges are more strategic. They're actually wanting people to not pay for parking (in other words, not bring a car). Disney wants their guests as trapped on property as possible.
They have car rental agencies on site. They want to create an environment where you don't want to leave, but they do provide options for people who would like to leave property.

drizgirl

Point taken.

"I'm sorry, sir/ma'am, you can't park here without a MagicBand and a credit card associated to it". Problem solved. :D

But really, who doesn't have a MagicBand these days, outside of DVC members? AP holders get one, regular resort guests get one. DI$ sells them at multiple locations in each park. In my defense, though, I could be totally off-base, as my head is foggy and hurts from coughing so much over the past 3-4 days from whatever bug I picked up on Friday, either getting off of the Disney Dream, hanging out at Splitsville for a few hours, or at MCO.
Plenty of offsite guests don't have them. The same guests on their way in to drop big bucks on an overpriced meal.

CJR

They have car rental agencies on site. They want to create an environment where you don't want to leave, but they do provide options for people who would like to leave property.

They would rather provide such options themselves rather than let a place right outside of their property do it. They want people to stay on property as much as possible, but if people want to leave, Disney wants their share in that too.

andysol

This is an example of how a resort fee is listed. Every resort that I have ever stayed at has always included an itemized list of what the resort fees cover. There's probably legalities involved there.. A property can't just say "We've added a resort fee in the taxes and surcharges without disclosing what they are for."

I kind of hate myself for responding to you, but here it goes.

Disney's On-Site Hotel Resort Fee Includes:
-Airport Transportation via Disney's Magical Express
-Wifi
-Unlimited local calls
-Transportation to and from all Disney Theme Parks, Water Parks, and Disney Springs
-Daily Mousekeeping
-60 Day Fastpass+ Reservations

What a deal!

threvester

nope....people who rent a car are not going to just take the magical express and use disney transport now....they will now stay off site
Now they will have less people in the bubble

CJR

Resort fees will be illegal soon enough. Perhaps not the fees themselves, but work is already in motion to force hotels to include the fees in their nightly rate, after years and years of complaints from guests. I won't hold my breath on anything happening soon, it'll be a long fight, but hotels will be on the losing side of it in the end. Too much abuse, especially in Vegas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom