News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

21stamps

Here's the "win" it's a guaranteed revenue stream. Not attached to discounts. That's why hoteliers do it. It's guaranteed money.
Then like I said in the previous post- charge $15 and add a FP or something. But add at least one thing to prevent an onslaught of negative press.

Katie G

Scare tactic? What is the end game? What's the point of this "scare tactic"? I'm confused by your words.

meaning: posting something so inflammatory to make people freak out over something that likely won't happen. "Scaring" people into 10+ pages of the sky is falling and Disney is awful and never going to stay there again.

erikjp

As a DVC member, I can see in my itemized costs that the majority of my year-over-year dues increase comes from property taxes. Property taxes on Disney's property have been skyrocketing in recent history due to increased appraisals.

Resort fees or not, the hotels are going to raise their prices to maintain their margins as best they can. 6% on a $300/night room is $18/night, about what a resort fee is at some other properties. It doesn't matter if that is slapped onto the rack rate or charged as a fee. Practically speaking there's no difference other than optics.

But the villain in my story is the state of Florida. I wish Disney lobbied for lower property taxes on DVC owners' and guests' behalves.

Disney Parks are regularly making $40,000,000,000+ a year in pure profit, and refuse to not only not absorb property tax increases but also threaten to increase fees yet the Florida state government is the villain in your story?

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
As a DVC member, I can see in my itemized costs that the majority of my year-over-year dues increase comes from property taxes. Property taxes on Disney's property have been skyrocketing in recent history due to increased appraisals.

Resort fees or not, the hotels are going to raise their prices to maintain their margins as best they can. 6% on a $300/night room is $18/night, about what a resort fee is at some other properties. It doesn't matter if that is slapped onto the rack rate or charged as a fee. Practically speaking there's no difference other than optics.

But the villain in my story is the state of Florida. I wish Disney lobbied for lower property taxes on DVC owners' and guests' behalves.
They did lobby (and sue) for lower property taxes.

http://www.floridasalestax.com/Flor...lt-Disney-Wants-to-Pay-Less-Property-Tax.aspx

Kingtut

They could easily justify a resort fee:

• Use of resort transportation
  • Pool towels
  • In-room coffee
  • Wifi access
  • Unlimited local calls
If they want to do this, they can and will easily come up with a list of "amenities" to justify it.
You forgot to add:
  • Running water
  • Indoor plumbing
  • Electric lighting
Those things are very important at a 5 star hotel.

Angel Ariel

Well, I know it's been a while, but now I'm back with some new news. I wish I could say it was good news, but I don't know how to see this as anything but bad.

WDW, by leadership of Bob Chapek, is planning to start charging resort fees and parking fees at all WDW resorts. They should begin as soon as new parking gate systems are installed. The thinking here is that Disneyland has charged for parking at the hotels for a long while now, and many other hotels around WDW also charge for parking. The resort fees are also the "industry standard" so the management believes that they will be able to get away with those with no worries.

From what I understand as far as resort parking:
The first 30 minutes will be free. $5/hr after that up to a max of $30.
Daily overnight self-parking will be $30 at the resorts. Valet will be raised to $50.
Although there is no validation planned currently for eating or shopping at the resort, evidently Tables in Wonderland members will still receive free valet parking, though that isn't set in stone.

The resort fees have not been decided upon yet, or if they have, the prices haven't leaked to me. If you have information about the fees or anything else, please drop me a message. I'm sure this thrills all of you as much as it does me.

If this goes through, we will be choosing Shades over any WDW resort for the foreseeable future.

space42

meaning: posting something so inflammatory to make people freak out over something that likely won't happen. "Scaring" people into 10+ pages of the sky is falling and Disney is awful and never going to stay there again.

Since Disney has already done a survey to gage the response - they likely already know what / if any backlash there will be.
The survey also shows their intent. The only question now is how they go about the implementation.

Also to the poster mentioning bad press. We already know how Disney handles that. Send in an army of posters to their fan forums in an attempt to control the message.

peter11435

Also to the poster mentioning bad press. We already know how Disney handles that. Send in an army of posters to their fan forums in an attempt to control the message.

Since those on the forums make up a very small percentage of disneys clientele that method would not really be helpful. Additionally you don't actually have proof or know that what you are saying is accurate.

Hopefully they will get enough negative feedback that they will change their minds and not go through with this plan. Sadly that's unlikely though.

21stamps

Or...you know...don't implement the fee...
I don't think I ever advocated such a fee. And again, I don't think it will happen.
If you read my post after that I clarified. This has already been pointed out so I responded. ;)
Same here.lol. You have to be very careful about how you word things, example-if you (me) say "common in the very popular tourist areas on the east coast of Florida" make sure to specify an exact list of city names, because "common" in reference to the "most popular" can easily be misinterpreted to include any destination. ;)

stretchsje

Disney Parks are regularly making $40,000,000,000+ a year in pure profit, and refuse to not only not absorb property tax increases but also threaten to increase fees yet the Florida state government is the villain in your story?
One entity here is making money on voluntary transactions, the other through extortion.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
I don't think I ever advocated such a fee. And again, I don't think it will happen.

Same here.lol. You have to be very careful about how you word things, example-if you (me) say "common in the very popular tourist areas on the east coast of Florida" make sure to specify an exact list of city names, because "common" in reference to the "most popular" can easily be misinterpreted to include any destination. ;)

Lol! You hit the nail on the head. :bookworm::joyfull:

space42

Since those on the forums make up a very small percentage of disneys clientele that method would not really be helpful. Additionally you don't actually have proof or know that what you are saying is accurate.

Hopefully they will get enough negative feedback that they will change their minds and not go through with this plan. Sadly that's unlikely though.

Proof. Nope. Just that I've been coming here since it was on a .co.uk domain around 1998-99 and it's a pattern that's been noticed on just about every crazy rumor that ended up being true.

To your second paragraph- on that point i agree. The fact they have already surveyed guests shows their intent.

peter11435

Disney parks don't make anywhere near the number you reference. Not in revenue let alone profit.

And arbitrarily raising the property taxes is wrong. What exactly caused the value of the land to increase that much from year to year. And it's all arbitrary anyway since the only reason the land that magic kingdom sits on is valuable at all is because magic kingdom sits on it.

peter11435

Proof. Nope. Just that I've been coming here since it was on a .co.uk domain around 1998-99 and it's a pattern that's been noticed on just about every crazy rumor that ended up being true.

To your second paragraph- on that point i agree. The fact they have already surveyed guests shows their intent.

Every crazy rumor and stupid decision has people who post on here defending and supporting it. But that in no way is evidence that they are Disney plants sent to control the message. Some people just like things others don't. And some people just aren't that smart. Doesn't make them plants.

erikjp

Disney parks don't make anywhere near the number you reference. Not in revenue let alone profit.

And arbitrarily raising the property taxes is wrong. What exactly caused the value of the land to increase that much from year to year. And it's all arbitrary anyway since the only reason the land that magic kingdom sits on is valuable at all is because magic kingdom sits on it.

My apologies, they make $2,200,000,000, the 40 billion is the Disney corporations overall profits including the parks. From this Forbes article ( http://www.forbes.com/sites/csylt/2...-2-2-billion-theme-park-profits/#5c0fd956a11c).

And if the property taxes were raised during a period of local property tax decline in the local Orlando area, I would agree with you, but property taxes are not arbitrary. The land that Walt Disney owns has value, not just because Magic Kingdom sits on it. Theres an almost limitless number of things that land could be used for, including homes which, by they way, pay property taxes even though they are not Magic Kingdon.

MrHappy

I'd like to see the fine print before gauging just how awful this awful idea is.
I really hope this awful idea/rumor is just a "day" charge, and not a "every parking lot you pull into at WDW" charge - so lets say, day 1 of my trip I pull into POR to check in to my room, do I need to pay $30 there and if I have Ohana ADRs I need to pay another $30 over at Poly for dinner? That doesn't make sense. Then do I pay another $30 on day 1 to POR when I come back to my room. And is parking at the Parks still included as a "perk"?
A) lets wait till this is true
B) read the fine print
C) vomit - then evaluate how my young kids will handle the 5 hour plane ride to DL/DCA

EDIT: evaluate how I can make Busch Gardens and Colonial Williamsburg "magical", great.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom