WDW Railroad closing for a short period in April

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Part of the refurb is to replace the tile on the loading area of Main Street station. The work started last month on the side where the welcome show takes place, and will be continuing after reopening with the queue area.

Thanks, That tile has been in need of replacement for quite a while

ToTBellHop

I wish they would bring back the narrated audio at the station,,,,"now approaching main street station for a grand circle tour around the magic kingdom, alllll aboarddddd" it was things like that which made Disney Disney, I believe its gone, same could be said for the boring dry peoplemover narration.
I feel like I still hear that recording...

MonorailMan

I sure hope they found the Lilly Belle under a pile of pallets lol. Of course, every time the railroad goes down for refurb, the first thing that pops up on every train forum everywhere is speculation over the Lilly Belle and if she is coming back this time.

Rteetz

Poor planning. If the tile was in such bad shape, why wasn't it replaced when the train was closed last October and November?
Maybe because they can only do one side at a time? Either way someone's always going to have a refurb during their vacation that they'll be upset about. Whether they do the work now or in November at least is getting done.

KYWDW

I sure hope they found the Lilly Belle under a pile of pallets lol. Of course, every time the railroad goes down for refurb, the first thing that pops up on every train forum everywhere is speculation over the Lilly Belle and if she is coming back this time.
She's still in pieces last I heard. Wish they would just throw the money at her to finish the refurb. Any of the insiders train fans who might know more?

willtravel

Wish they would add more theming and things to look at along the route....Its pretty decent in Frontierland, but that's about it.
I agree. I have thought about what was in the Backlot tour and if there was anything from there they could have added to the train route....

CDavid

I agree. I have thought about what was in the Backlot tour and if there was anything from there they could have added to the train route....

There is supposed to be a degree of authenticity here; A turn of the century steam train. How many real railroads do you know which have things to look at placed along the tracks?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
She's still in pieces last I heard. Wish they would just throw the money at her to finish the refurb. Any of the insiders train fans who might know more?

NOT AN INSIDER - But the Lilly Belle is of interest to Steam fans as well as Disney fans and this is the current story rumor of course but plausible knowing Disney's legendary tightfistedness.

Apparently Disney and the Strasburg railroad shops are having a battle over 'unauthorized' repairs Strasburg apparently found a fault which they felt on a live steam locomotive could not be left unrepaired, Disney disagrees I'm inclined to agree with Strasburg as that's what they do restore steam locomotives.

adam.adbe

There is supposed to be a degree of authenticity here; A turn of the century steam train. How many real railroads do you know which have things to look at placed along the tracks?

The point then would be to theme it as if the line naturally passes by. It's not like someone built the Colorado mountains to give Chicagoans something to look at on their way to California.

At the very least Disney shoud de-uglify parts of the track, and hide/theme some of the exposed back-stage.

KYWDW

NOT AN INSIDER - But the Lilly Belle is of interest to Steam fans as well as Disney fans and this is the current story rumor of course but plausible knowing Disney's legendary tightfistedness.

Apparently Disney and the Strasburg railroad shops are having a battle over 'unauthorized' repairs Strasburg apparently found a fault which they felt on a live steam locomotive could not be left unrepaired, Disney disagrees I'm inclined to agree with Strasburg as that's what they do restore steam locomotives.

Pretty much heard the same thing. My assumption is they found a frame issue and Disney didn't want to fork out the costs. So it got "moved" out of the way while waiting on Disney to make a decision. Thus the rumors last year of was it on its way back or not. Wish I knew internally at Disney who was holding the purse strings.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Pretty much heard the same thing. My assumption is they found a frame issue and Disney didn't want to fork out the costs. So it got "moved" out of the way while waiting on Disney to make a decision. Thus the rumors last year of was it on its way back or not. Wish I knew internally at Disney who was holding the purse strings.

The cracked frame is why the Lilly Belle went to Strasburg in the first place, I'm guessing that because of the damaged frame there was a structural element in the boiler which was questionable and Strasburg insisted upon repairing it while Disney in line with it's usual questionable engineering decisions insisted that it was ok because it was 'within tolerances' not to repair it.

KYWDW

The cracked frame is why the Lilly Belle went to Strasburg in the first place, I'm guessing that because of the damaged frame there was a structural element in the boiler which was questionable and Strasburg insisted upon repairing it while Disney in line with it's usual questionable engineering decisions insisted that it was ok because it was 'within tolerances' not to repair it.
That makes sense, I was told that in reverse. Either way wish it would return. Move some of Disneylands budget with their trains not moving to cover the cost, likely just wishful thinking.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
That makes sense, I was told that in reverse. Either way wish it would return. Move some of Disneylands budget with their trains not moving to cover the cost, likely just wishful thinking.

The only reason I know that the cracked frame was why it went to Strasburg is I was on the steam trains tour as the Lilly Belle was being prepared for shipment and the enginehouse staff told us why the Lilly Belle had not been seen for a while.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom