WDW Questions and Hotel Recommendations?

Hobnail Boot

I think everyone else has answered everything pretty well, but I'll still throw my two cents in.

I've never been a fan of the value resorts, so I would suggest POR. It's one of my favorites and just such a relaxing place. The Alligator Bayou section is my favorite section to stay in and you can be pretty close to the main bus stop if you get a preferred room. That being said, if you aren't going to be at the resort much then a value would be fine for y'all.

As others have said, definitely visit the monorail resorts. The Poly is absolute classic WDW even with all the recent changes. I love just walking the grounds there and listening to the music playing. Ohana can be hit or miss food wise, but it's just so much fun. Other than the monorail resorts, I would suggest taking a boat to the Wilderness Lodge. Roaring Forks is a decent counter service there, but I highly recommend Whispering Canyon for breakfast. Be sure to ask for ketchup! AKL is a beautiful resort, too and be sure to check out the Epcot resorts. If you can go to the Beach Club, eat at Beaches and Cream!

I think everyone has given the Fastpass information. The tiers can be a pain, but as others have said by stacking your Fastpasses in the morning you can get more later in the day. Since you're going on April, rides may temporarily close due to thunderstorms. If that happens, you are given a replacement Fastpass that you can use on pretty much anything (there are exceptions, but I've never encountered them).

If you're looking for good food, the resorts have the best restaurants in my opinion. Most aren't difficult to book reservations for, but some can be downright frustrating to get. Ohana and sometimes Beaches and Cream are two of those. Park wise, at MK I would recommend Liberty Tree for lunch (I'm a sucker for the Freedom Pasta) or Be Our Guest for the atmosphere. Plaza has good sandwiches and is small and quaint. I've never eaten at the Crystal Palace nor the Skipper Canteen so I defer to others on those.

Epcot has so many restaurants it's hard to pick. Restaurant Marrakesh is a gem and very easy to get reservations for (or just walk up). Via Napoli is excellent and Biergarten is simply amazing inside. I like Nine Dragons fine and Rose and Crown just can't be beat. DHS has SciFi and 50s, both of which are quite good with cool themeing. Yak and Yeti at AK is the only table service I've done there. The fish I had was really good!

I hope you have a blast!

mickEblu

Original Poster
I think everyone else has answered everything pretty well, but I'll still throw my two cents in.

I've never been a fan of the value resorts, so I would suggest POR. It's one of my favorites and just such a relaxing place. The Alligator Bayou section is my favorite section to stay in and you can be pretty close to the main bus stop if you get a preferred room. That being said, if you aren't going to be at the resort much then a value would be fine for y'all.

As others have said, definitely visit the monorail resorts. The Poly is absolute classic WDW even with all the recent changes. I love just walking the grounds there and listening to the music playing. Ohana can be hit or miss food wise, but it's just so much fun. Other than the monorail resorts, I would suggest taking a boat to the Wilderness Lodge. Roaring Forks is a decent counter service there, but I highly recommend Whispering Canyon for breakfast. Be sure to ask for ketchup! AKL is a beautiful resort, too and be sure to check out the Epcot resorts. If you can go to the Beach Club, eat at Beaches and Cream!

I think everyone has given the Fastpass information. The tiers can be a pain, but as others have said by stacking your Fastpasses in the morning you can get more later in the day. Since you're going on April, rides may temporarily close due to thunderstorms. If that happens, you are given a replacement Fastpass that you can use on pretty much anything (there are exceptions, but I've never encountered them).

If you're looking for good food, the resorts have the best restaurants in my opinion. Most aren't difficult to book reservations for, but some can be downright frustrating to get. Ohana and sometimes Beaches and Cream are two of those. Park wise, at MK I would recommend Liberty Tree for lunch (I'm a sucker for the Freedom Pasta) or Be Our Guest for the atmosphere. Plaza has good sandwiches and is small and quaint. I've never eaten at the Crystal Palace nor the Skipper Canteen so I defer to others on those.

Epcot has so many restaurants it's hard to pick. Restaurant Marrakesh is a gem and very easy to get reservations for (or just walk up). Via Napoli is excellent and Biergarten is simply amazing inside. I like Nine Dragons fine and Rose and Crown just can't be beat. DHS has SciFi and 50s, both of which are quite good with cool themeing. Yak and Yeti at AK is the only table service I've done there. The fish I had was really good!

I hope you have a blast!

Thank you, I appreciate that! And thank you for the great tips!

Little Green Men

If you have time you can visit the Epcot resorts by boat from International Gateway, the Boardwalk is a lot of fun. Swan and Dolphin are nice too along with Yacht and Beach Club.

dweezil78

@mickEblu do not under any circumstances park at MK. Take the resort bus there and if you want to see the monorail resorts, board the monorail at MK and take it from there. Parking at MK is the seventh circle of hell, bad enough without a small child. Certainly hell with.

Yeah, you know what... GMTM is right. You know how at Mickey & Friends we all get annoyed if we're like 12 cars away from the ticket booths when we pull into the garage? When I was at WDW, there was a line of probably more than 1,000 cars lined down the street for miles all trying to get into the TTC (MK) parking lot. As much as I love the monorail into the park, you really will be better off taking a bus and doing a lap on the monorail later on.

mickEblu

Original Poster
@mickEblu do not under any circumstances park at MK. Take the resort bus there and if you want to see the monorail resorts, board the monorail at MK and take it from there. Parking at MK is the seventh circle of hell, bad enough without a small child. Certainly hell with.

LOL! Thank you. After this post, trust me I won’t. Thanks for being stern with me.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Yeah, you know what... GMTM is right. You know how at Mickey & Friends we all get annoyed if we're like 12 cars away from the ticket booths when we pull into the garage? When I was at WDW, there was a line of probably more than 1,000 cars lined down the street for miles all trying to get into the TTC (MK) parking lot. As much as I love the monorail into the park, you really will be better off taking a bus and doing a lap on the monorail later on.

Yuck! Point duly noted. Thank you.

dweezil78

Four pages in and you've got lots of great advice, so it probably doesn't matter...

Why did you start your WDW visit thread in the Disneyland Resort forum? o_O

;)

Because it's important to get this advice through the lens of fellow Disneyland'ers who view the resorts differently, plus we're his people so we're gonna hook him up with the right tips!! :)

mickEblu

Original Poster
Four pages in and you've got lots of great advice, so it probably doesn't matter...

Why did you start your WDW visit thread in the Disneyland Resort forum? o_O

;)

Lol. Because I know/ trust these guys/gals and know many have been to WDW multiple times. I was going to post this in the WDW forum too but I feel like I have a ton of great info already.

Texas84

Almost forgot would be dumb not add one day for Universal Orlando? Not a fan of screeeeenz, have been to USH many times and I’m pretty sure Diagon Alley is coming to USH. So basically I’d be going for Spider-Man and to live my youth by riding ET?

Didn't see it mentioned but if you do one day at Uni you MUST get the 1-day 2-park ticket so you can ride the Hogwarts Express. Do the round trip. Each trip is different.

mlayton144

Another vote for POR especially if you have a relax day. The values are fine to sleep but concrete eveywhere, port or leans has definite charm and ambience with the landscaping etc , and a nice ride to disney springs via boat

mlayton144

Also yes for unique dining with ambience or entertainment definitely consider the following, all have pretty good food

Sci-fi
San angel inn
Boma (beautiful resort)
O’Hana (beautiful resort)
Biergarten
Skipper canteen
50s Prime time
Restaurant Marrakesh
Hoop de doo review (need 3+ hours)
Garden grill
Raglan road

Also if you don’t make it to wdw often reserve some time relaxing , resort hop to wilderness lodge , poly, contemporary, or animal kingdom lodge and eat, have a drink , explore the resort etc as this experience doesn’t exist in DL Resort

PacNWTigger

There are going to be a ton of food/drink options at EPCOT with their Flower & Garden Festival going on. They will have kiosks in every country offering all sorts of deliciousness. You should check out the Trip Report section of the forums for dining ideas. Are you thinking about doing a character meal for your little one? If you make it out to the Animal Kingdom Lodge I have heard amazing things about their bread service at Sanaa. I would definitely give that a shot if my guy wasn't such a persnickety eater.

I'm going to WDW the first part of May with my guy, and we're not making a bunch of dining reservations...only Be Our Guest (for lunch) and we're doing a dessert party with garden seating for the fireworks at MK one evening. We will be relying on the park transportation and not renting a vehicle while we are there, but since we're staying at the Polynesian we have a few more options on how to get to/from the parks or other resorts.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Also yes for unique dining with ambience or entertainment definitely consider the following, all have pretty good food

Sci-fi
San angel inn
Boma (beautiful resort)
O’Hana (beautiful resort)
Biergarten
Skipper canteen
50s Prime time
Restaurant Marrakesh
Hoop de doo review (need 3+ hours)
Garden grill
Raglan road

Also if you don’t make it to wdw often reserve some time relaxing , resort hop to wilderness lodge , poly, contemporary, or animal kingdom lodge and eat, have a drink , explore the resort etc as this experience doesn’t exist in DL Resort

Thank you! I’ll definitely try to make it out to at least 2 of these restaurants and a couple of the hotels.

mickEblu

Original Poster
There are going to be a ton of food/drink options at EPCOT with their Flower & Garden Festival going on. They will have kiosks in every country offering all sorts of deliciousness. You should check out the Trip Report section of the forums for dining ideas. Are you thinking about doing a character meal for your little one? If you make it out to the Animal Kingdom Lodge I have heard amazing things about their bread service at Sanaa. I would definitely give that a shot if my guy wasn't such a persnickety eater.

I'm going to WDW the first part of May with my guy, and we're not making a bunch of dining reservations...only Be Our Guest (for lunch) and we're doing a dessert party with garden seating for the fireworks at MK one evening. We will be relying on the park transportation and not renting a vehicle while we are there, but since we're staying at the Polynesian we have a few more options on how to get to/from the parks or other resorts.

Thanks for the response and the tips. You brought up something I havent thought of. Nighttime entertainment. I think I have Fantasmic and fireworks covered at DL. I’m guessing Illuminations would be the thing to see while I’m out there?

No I don’t think I’ll be doing any character dining. Ill probably do something like that for him at DL soon. While I’m at WDW I just want to make sure I get to see all the highlights.

George Lucas on a Bench

Illuminations is a bit long in the tooth, but it doesn't seem to matter. It's the best nighttime show at WDW.

Only part that kinda sucks is walking out afterwards because you want to place yourself in the World Showcase towards the back. They should install some Peoplemovers in EPCOT. It's just too big.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Illuminations is a bit long in the tooth, but it doesn't seem to matter. It's the best nighttime show at WDW.

Is it worth taking the time out to do. Like staking out a spot and keeping a two year old occupied for a couple hours. Or should I just re ride some of my faves at night? How different is it from WOC?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom