WDW projections? what do your think will happen? Do you see it getting better? what would you like to see happen?

Chef Mickey

This is the Hulu that lost $920 million in 2017, right?

I agree that there is a lot of potential for Disney to turn streaming media into a real moneymaker, but I'd prefer the arguments to be consistent. Hulu's current valuation is $8.7 billion, though some speculate that it "should" or "could" be worth $15B or even $25B. All this while losing close to a billion a year. But all these figures can be ignored if we're looking at blue-sky projections for the purpose of this thread.

In the 2nd quarter of 2018, Netflix earnings were $384M. If we project this flat as an annual figure (which would lowball their potential since they are projecting growth), it would be $1.5B. 2018 earnings are projected to end up at $1.2B while (of course speculative) 2019 earnings are projected at $1.9B. The analysts even more speculatively have 2020 earnings at $2.8B and 2021 earnings at $5B. Anyway, my point here is that you can't compare earnings vs valuation (aka PE multiple) for a company that is growing earnings at 4-5% (DIS) with a company growing earnings at 60-102%.

Note that I actually agree that Netflix valuation is pretty high right now, but my main point is that the potential value of streaming media represents potential for Disney. You say that Disney streaming media has much higher potential than Netflix. If you really believe this and also believe in the potential growth of profitability of the segment, then you could (wrongly) project Disney earnings from streaming media in 2021 at $5B-$10B.

OTOH, I do think that they could turn their $5B operating income in cable networks and $1.2B operating income in broadcast into $5-10B combined streaming and traditional income over the next 5-10 years.

If this comes to pass, such a positive result could be either good or bad for Parks & Resorts. Being flush with cash could result in green light strategic investment. Alternatively it could increase pressure on Parks & Resorts to increase margins which would comparatively become the underperforming unit, and this would obviously be terrible.
Hulu would simply be the acquisition of customers and maybe some of the technology. Hulu now would be nothing like what Disney is planning for their 2019 streaming and would probably be rebranded to a more "adult Disney" offering. Bottom line, it would be completely revamped and repriced. They might not even do it...it was just a prediction. Disney's streaming service will assuredly be profitable.

As far as NFLX, you can't extrapolate the $384M with a linear run rate over 4 quarters until proven otherwise. NFLX has never demonstrated consistent high profitability over the course of 4 quarters. Even if they did, the valuation is still 10X Disney and NFLX stock was HAMMERED after the $384M (down 11%) because they missed subscriber counts. The entire reason the are valued at such an insane multiple is subscriber growth. If that falters, you'll see the stock drop 50%. It's already down ~20% from its high.

Don't talk to me about earnings growth when you're basing growth on numbers like $65M-$200M. Those numbers start getting a lot harder to grow when you get into larger numbers. Most recently, they had earnings growth of 32% from a $290M base. Big deal.They are essentially a one trick pony. It's a good trick, but they don't own much content and offer nothing besides their streaming service. No argument from me they are growing, but again, this company doesn't deserve to be valued the same as Disney.

Shouldigo12

Your single use case isn't representative of the broader market.

I also made the point that NFLX is insanely overvalued for the profit they generate.
Never said it did. I was mostly disagreeing with them saying that Disney has better content than Netflix. I'm sure the content for their streaming service would be good, but theres only so much Disney I watch every month.

Chef Mickey

Never said it did. I was mostly disagreeing with them saying that Disney has better content than Netflix. I'm sure the content for their streaming service would be good, but theres only so much Disney I watch every month.
Disney owns a lot of content. Most of what you watch on NFLX is licensed (expensive) content that could easily go away. The library of content Disney owns is far superior to anything Netflix owns or even licenses. Plus, Disney can license additional content, just like NFLX and have the best of both worlds.

winstongator

Disney owns a lot of content. Most of what you watch on NFLX is licensed (expensive) content that could easily go away. The library of content Disney owns is far superior to anything Netflix owns or even licenses. Plus, Disney can license additional content, just like NFLX and have the best of both worlds.
@Shouldigo12
I like the Disney content, but if they include some ESPN bundle it will be a no-brainer to shift from Sling to that. There are some strange rules around Sling though and it is owned by Dish.

I could see myself subscribing to both.

LUVofDIS

But Magic Kingdom was quite busy. Maybe because it was sandwiched in between two days of it closing at 6pm for the Halloween party.

We did EPCOT Thursday September 27th, MK on the 28th and 30th, both party nights, AK was Saturday the 29th and HS on Monday the 1st.

Rarely did it feel crowded to us. The only lines that I can remember with over an hour wait was FoP. Though strangely, Primeval Whirl had a forty five minute wait. We won't wait more than ten for it and the only reason is because I like the 360 spins. We rode everything we wanted, which is almost everything, doing some two to three times. We were in the parks 8 to 10 hours on average.

Lensman

As far as NFLX, you can't extrapolate the $384M with a linear run rate over 4 quarters until proven otherwise. NFLX has never demonstrated consistent high profitability over the course of 4 quarters. Even if they did, the valuation is still 10X Disney and NFLX stock was HAMMERED after the $384M (down 11%) because they missed subscriber counts. The entire reason the are valued at such an insane multiple is subscriber growth. If that falters, you'll see the stock drop 50%. It's already down ~20% from its high.
I think you missed the point where I agreed that Netflix valuation is pretty high right now.
Note that I actually agree that Netflix valuation is pretty high right now, but my main point is that the potential value of streaming media represents potential for Disney.
And I think you also missed my main point, which is that the profitability of streaming media, specifically Netflix, points to the potential for Disney to do well in this space.
OTOH, I do think that they could turn their $5B operating income in cable networks and $1.2B operating income in broadcast into $5-10B combined streaming and traditional income over the next 5-10 years.
And I don't suppose you care to share your opinion on the question of what such a positive result might mean for Disney Parks & Resorts?
If this comes to pass, such a positive result could be either good or bad for Parks & Resorts. Being flush with cash could result in green light strategic investment. Alternatively it could increase pressure on Parks & Resorts to increase margins which would comparatively become the underperforming unit, and this would obviously be terrible.
Unless your main point is just to fight with me about Netflix financial results purely to substantiate your emotional bias against Netflix valuation, in which case let me note again that I agree that their valuation seems crazy high right now.

Don't talk to me about earnings growth when you're basing growth on numbers like $65M-$200M. Those numbers start getting a lot harder to grow when you get into larger numbers. Most recently, they had earnings growth of 32% from a $290M base.
Yes, in their latest reported quarter, they reported "only" 32% quarter-over-quarter earnings growth. For the quarter ending June 30, 2018, their earnings were $384 MM, up 32% from $290 MM for the quarter ending March 31, 2018. That was both remarkable and disappointing.

Here are their quarterly earnings going backwards. I only post these to show that quarter-over-quarter earnings have actually been pretty steady, unlike in the past, facilitating some degree of informed projection.
June 30, 2018 = $384 million
March 31, 2018 = $290 million
December 31, 2017 = $185 million
September 30, 2017 = $129 million
June 30, 2017 = $65 million <- subscriber growth exceeded expectations, but earnings took a hit based on higher content expenses
March 31, 2017 = $178 million <- these earnings were the high outlier, note that the stock dropped due to a subscriber miss
December 31, 2016 = $66 million
September 30, 2016 = $51 million
June 30, 2017 = $40 million
March 31, 2017 = $27 million

Big deal.They are essentially a one trick pony. It's a good trick, but they don't own much content and offer nothing besides their streaming service. No argument from me they are growing, but again, this company doesn't deserve to be valued the same as Disney.
I'm less negative on Netflix, but as a result I'm more positive on Disney. I agree that streaming media has great potential for them. If they can create 3 separate streaming services (Disney, ESPN, and Fox/Hulu), and if they can grow these internationally, they have the potential to be 3x as profitable as Netflix, maybe more if content creation is a cheaper than content acquisition.

Mickey5150

Talking about what I would like to see happen, it would be nice to see some new "Original Idea" rides and not so many new IP rides. Like when they were developing the parks and said "Hey, lets make a boat ride that takes you through the history of pirates". Boom, POTC. Or, "Hey, lets build a show with a bunch of singing birds". Boom. Tiki Room.

This gave me an idea. How about a "Boom" ride? Where things just go Boom around you?

Potential Names: Mission: Boom, the Boom Room: Under new management, Stitch's Great Boom, or The Wedway People Boom-er.
To be fair, when Walt was building Disneyland he probably owned about 10 IPs and he shoved as many as he could in Fantasyland.

Chef Mickey

I think you missed the point where I agreed that Netflix valuation is pretty high right now.

And I think you also missed my main point, which is that the profitability of streaming media, specifically Netflix, points to the potential for Disney to do well in this space.

And I don't suppose you care to share your opinion on the question of what such a positive result might mean for Disney Parks & Resorts?

Unless your main point is just to fight with me about Netflix financial results purely to substantiate your emotional bias against Netflix valuation, in which case let me note again that I agree that their valuation seems crazy high right now.

Yes, in their latest reported quarter, they reported "only" 32% quarter-over-quarter earnings growth. For the quarter ending June 30, 2018, their earnings were $384 MM, up 32% from $290 MM for the quarter ending March 31, 2018. That was both remarkable and disappointing.

Here are their quarterly earnings going backwards. I only post these to show that quarter-over-quarter earnings have actually been pretty steady, unlike in the past, facilitating some degree of informed projection.
June 30, 2018 = $384 million
March 31, 2018 = $290 million
December 31, 2017 = $185 million
September 30, 2017 = $129 million
June 30, 2017 = $65 million <- subscriber growth exceeded expectations, but earnings took a hit based on higher content expenses
March 31, 2017 = $178 million <- these earnings were the high outlier, note that the stock dropped due to a subscriber miss
December 31, 2016 = $66 million
September 30, 2016 = $51 million
June 30, 2017 = $40 million
March 31, 2017 = $27 million

I'm less negative on Netflix, but as a result I'm more positive on Disney. I agree that streaming media has great potential for them. If they can create 3 separate streaming services (Disney, ESPN, and Fox/Hulu), and if they can grow these internationally, they have the potential to be 3x as profitable as Netflix, maybe more if content creation is a cheaper than content acquisition.
I basically think we agree. When markets are down like today, stocks like NFLX (-6%) get crushed because they are momentum stocks with insane valuations.

My only contention was that you said NFLX was only "pretty high" and justified with big EPS growth and I think it's insanely high, particularly relative to another (far better in my view and objectively more diversified) media company in Disney.

The markets are funny this way. They'll never value Disney's streaming platform because investors have a difficult time separating businesses...even if it's great. You're right, it will add value which is good for DIS shareholders like us, but it will still suffer from being a part of a broader business.

I'll give you an example. Apple has more subscribers to various services (subscriptions) than all of NFLX, yet the market almost values this at basically nothing because of the focus on Apple hardware sales. We've FINALLY seen that change somewhat with Apple's small multiple expansion, but it still trades at ~17X earnings despite a services biz growing at 30%. The Apple services business is almost 3X bigger than the entire revenue stream for the entire NFLX company.

Last edited:

act2306

So one reoccurring theme seems to be that the current Disney mega corp business model is going to implode. numbers are down and No one is going to the world anymore.

So what do you forsee happening to Walt disney world say in 7 years. Do you think the current system will change?

I read this as "projections" as in during nighttime shows. I now realize this isn't what you meant...

Still... projections on the castle - not my thing. Disney on the whole - they're not impervious to the economy on the whole, but it will take something massive to shut them down.

Hi, I'm new here...but a long time lurker. And I'm out! :)

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Imagine how ugly a divorce of ESPN from the traditional CATV system would be. Disney would have all ESPN content available on their streaming services (ESPN+, Disney Play, & Hulu). They jack the price up on Comcast & TWC. Comcast balks. Comcast customers go nuts. Comcast buckles. Disney jacks the price again. Comcast balks. Customers go nuts. What carrot does Comcast have to offer Disney to get to a long-term solution to this problem??? Is there a market for fan fiction of potential business negotiations & transactions?

Think in a different direction. What happens when the last mile is covered not by the cable companies (Charter, Comcast) but rather your 5G wireless provider ?

winstongator

Think in a different direction. What happens when the last mile is covered not by the cable companies (Charter, Comcast) but rather your 5G wireless provider ?
You made my day! My company sells components that could be used for 5g systems. Didn’t Verizon roll systems in some cities recently? I was excited by google’s purchase of webpass, but not much came from that. We also sell into comcast’s network too.

One of the key technologies of 5g is phased array antennas. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phased_array you can steer an antenna without any moving parts - sounds like something we should put in Epcot’s future world!

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
You made my day! My company sells components that could be used for 5g systems. Didn’t Verizon roll systems in some cities recently? I was excited by google’s purchase of webpass, but not much came from that. We also sell into comcast’s network too.

One of the key technologies of 5g is phased array antennas. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phased_array you can steer an antenna without any moving parts - sounds like something we should put in Epcot’s future world!

The company I work for is a wireless communication service provider so I'm pretty well versed in the subject. The fixed cost structure is significantly less than a wired last mile since you're eliminating the neighborhood and building wiring support costs. Last mile currently is still structured as if it were POTS.

Verizon deployed some gear in cities to provide what they are calling 5G, but it's purely marketing as its pre standards finalization. If they want to be 5G compliant, they will have to forklift and replace it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom