Pre-Trip WDW May Pre-Trip

Headed to my dream vacation at WDW with my wife in the first week of May. It is our first trip to WDW as a couple and my first trip in 5 years and her first since high school. We will be there for 8 nights and 9 days, and I have been questioning all of my decisions to this point, but with less than a month to go time has hit a standstill. Here is what we have planned so far:

Wed- Early flight in from Philly should get us to the Poly at around 10:30 the latest. After dropping off our bags we plan to head over to Hollywood Studios for the 30th anniversary celebration. Our first fastpass is for 11:15am at Toy Story Mania and we have FP for Tower of Terror and Rockin Roller Coaster. We really hope that it isn't slammed that day, but we will roll with the punches. We also have a fantasmic dinner package at 12:00 at Mama Melrose.

Thurs- Original plan was to make this an all day AK day, but when Disney released their Disney After Hours into May we decided to take advantage of this and adjusted our plans for this day. We will hopefully get up early and Rope Drop FoP since we weren't able to get a fast pass after some Tonga Toast of course! We have fast passes for the Navi River Journey and Dinosaur. We plan on hitting up Flame Tree BBQ for lunch and then heading back to the Poly for some pool time before heading over to the Magic Kingdom at around 6:00 or so for some Fast Pass rides before After Hours start at 10:00pm. Really looking forward to an empty MK and hopefully riding Space Mountain and Big Thunder on repeat for an hour.

Fri- Our planned Epcot day. We have a 9:50 Frozen Ever After fast pass and hope to rope drop Test Track on our way over to Frozen. Outside of that we have FP for Mission Space and Spaceship Earth all before lunch. We plan on hitting up La Cantina de San Angel for lunch and maybe enjoy a margarita or two. Hopefully snag a fast pass for Soarin otherwise we plan to take it easy and stroll around the countries and taking in the sights. We have a 7:40 dinner at Spice Road table, and hope to catch the fireworks from there if not we will hopefully find a spot to watch.

Sat- Rest day! We have a DVC showing at 8:30 at the Poly and hope to snag some gift cards and extra fast passes for the tour. We are seriously considering it, and this will give my DW more info before we commit. After that we plan on hanging by the pool all day. Plan is to head over to Disney Springs at around 6:00 for our 7:05 dinner reservation at Chef Art Smith's Homecomin. After dinner everything is up in the air! I am very tempted to go to Jelly Roll's as I have some good memories from my Minor League Baseball convention days.

Sun- MK day! Plan on spending most of the day here with a pool break at the Poly at some point or maybe a trip over to resort hop. Have 7DMT, Space Mountain and Splash Mountain FP before our 12:35pm lunch at Be Our Guest. Hope to catch a ride on the Jungle Cruise and catch up on the Carousel of Progress in the afternoon. We have a 5:50pm reservation at Skipper Canteen, which I am really looking forward to, since the Jungle Cruise is my favorite ride of all time at WDW. After dinner hope to catch a ride or two before Happily Ever After and then returning to the Poly for maybe a late night Dole Whip.

Mon- Back to the AK for our FoP fast pass at 9:30. We have Kilimanjaro and Expedition FP as well that day. Also hope to hit up Kali River Rapids even though DW hates water wides. Plan to take it easy in the afternoon before our Teppan Edo Dinner at 7:30pm. Hope to catch Illuminations again or get one late night ride on Test Track before the park closes.

Tues- Back to Hollywood Studios for Rockin Roller Coaster, Slinky Dog Dash and Star Tours Fast passes. Probably do a QS lunch there and then head back to the pool at the Poly. We have a 8:30 dinner reservation at Le Cellier. Really hoping it is worth our 2 Table Credits.

Wed- Last full day at WDW. Back to AK for another FoP FP plus Dinosaur and Kilimanjaro Safaris. Highlight of this day is our 'Ohana Dinner back at the Poly at 9:35. We hope to catch the floating boat show before headed in for dinner that night. Also would like to hit up some MK rides that we might have missed on our previous days. Will treasure this last full day as it could be our last trip as just the two of us.

Thurs- Our flight isn't till 7:00pm so we have most of the day to explore. I have MK planned for this day with a 7DMNT FP along with Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain. Plan on headed over to Pecos Bills for lunch and just soak in the Magic till we have to take the Tragic Express back to airport and reality.

If anyone has any tips, I am all ears, and plan on sharing pictures and a debrief after the trip. Hope everyone enjoys!

Last edited:

GJM724

Original Poster
Sounds like a fun trip! We'll be there May 5 - 12 for an adult only trip, too.

A couple of notes from what I saw in your plan:
  1. Keep an eye on the hours for AK. In January they opened Pandora 30 minutes before the rest of the park. We thought we had arrived at rope drop only to find a LOT of other people had gotten in and in line for FOP before we even arrived.
  2. You noted an FP for Rivers of Light (RoL) on Thursday, but heading to MK around 6 for evening activities. RoL at AK is a night-time show, so you won't see that if you're at MK. You probably will want to change that FP at AK.
  3. But... you also noted catching the "floating boat show" at AK on your last Wednesday. I think that may be the same thing as RoL?

Sorry I messed up! I meant Navi River Journey for Thursday. I have noticed that Rope Drop for AK is getting earlier and earlier, I will keep that in mind that morning. Let's see if the wife wants to sleep in.

Also by floating boat show I meant the one in Seven Seas Lagoon that they have every night.

Appreciate the feedback!

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
Headed to my dream vacation at WDW with my wife in the first week of May. It is our first trip to WDW as a couple and my first trip in 5 years and her first since high school. We will be there for 8 nights and 9 days, and I have been questioning all of my decisions to this point, but with less than a month to go time has hit a standstill. Here is what we have planned so far:

Wed- Early flight in from Philly should get us to the Poly at around 10:30 the latest. After dropping off our bags we plan to head over to Hollywood Studios for the 30th anniversary celebration. Our first fastpass is for 11:15am at Toy Story Mania and we have FP for Tower of Terror and Rockin Roller Coaster. We really hope that it isn't slammed that day, but we will roll with the punches. We also have a fantasmic dinner package at 12:00 at Mama Melrose.

Thurs- Original plan was to make this an all day AK day, but when Disney released their Disney After Hours into May we decided to take advantage of this and adjusted our plans for this day. We will hopefully get up early and Rope Drop FoP since we weren't able to get a fast pass after some Tonga Toast of course! We have fast passes for the Navi River Journey and Dinosaur. We plan on hitting up Flame Tree BBQ for lunch and then heading back to the Poly for some pool time before heading over to the Magic Kingdom at around 6:00 or so for some Fast Pass rides before After Hours start at 10:00pm. Really looking forward to an empty MK and hopefully riding Space Mountain and Big Thunder on repeat for an hour.

Fri- Our planned Epcot day. We have a 9:50 Frozen Ever After fast pass and hope to rope drop Test Track on our way over to Frozen. Outside of that we have FP for Mission Space and Spaceship Earth all before lunch. We plan on hitting up La Cantina de San Angel for lunch and maybe enjoy a margarita or two. Hopefully snag a fast pass for Soarin otherwise we plan to take it easy and stroll around the countries and taking in the sights. We have a 7:40 dinner at Spice Road table, and hope to catch the fireworks from there if not we will hopefully find a spot to watch.

Sat- Rest day! We have a DVC showing at 8:30 at the Poly and hope to snag some gift cards and extra fast passes for the tour. We are seriously considering it, and this will give my DW more info before we commit. After that we plan on hanging by the pool all day. Plan is to head over to Disney Springs at around 6:00 for our 7:05 dinner reservation at Chef Art Smith's Homecomin. After dinner everything is up in the air! I am very tempted to go to Jelly Roll's as I have some good memories from my Minor League Baseball convention days.

Sun- MK day! Plan on spending most of the day here with a pool break at the Poly at some point or maybe a trip over to resort hop. Have 7DMT, Space Mountain and Splash Mountain FP before our 12:35pm lunch at Be Our Guest. Hope to catch a ride on the Jungle Cruise and catch up on the Carousel of Progress in the afternoon. We have a 5:50pm reservation at Skipper Canteen, which I am really looking forward to, since the Jungle Cruise is my favorite ride of all time at WDW. After dinner hope to catch a ride or two before Happily Ever After and then returning to the Poly for maybe a late night Dole Whip.

Mon- Back to the AK for our FoP fast pass at 9:30. We have Kilimanjaro and Expedition FP as well that day. Also hope to hit up Kali River Rapids even though DW hates water wides. Plan to take it easy in the afternoon before our Teppan Edo Dinner at 7:30pm. Hope to catch Illuminations again or get one late night ride on Test Track before the park closes.

Tues- Back to Hollywood Studios for Rockin Roller Coaster, Slinky Dog Dash and Star Tours Fast passes. Probably do a QS lunch there and then head back to the pool at the Poly. We have a 8:30 dinner reservation at Le Cellier. Really hoping it is worth our 2 Table Credits.

Wed- Last full day at WDW. Back to AK for another FoP FP plus Dinosaur and Kilimanjaro Safaris. Highlight of this day is our 'Ohana Dinner back at the Poly at 9:35. We hope to catch the floating boat show before headed in for dinner that night. Also would like to hit up some MK rides that we might have missed on our previous days. Will treasure this last full day as it could be our last trip as just the two of us.

Thurs- Our flight isn't till 7:00pm so we have most of the day to explore. I have MK planned for this day with a 7DMNT FP along with Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain. Plan on headed over to Pecos Bills for lunch and just soak in the Magic till we have to take the Tragic Express back to airport and reality.

If anyone has any tips, I am all ears, and plan on sharing pictures and a debrief after the trip. Hope everyone enjoys!
Looks excellent! I hope you two really enjoy every moment!!!

GJM724

Original Poster
Good point. I never noticed the event time. I've always gone by the times at each resort. We last watched it from the beach of the Poly in 2017.

The only thing disappointing about the whole planning process is the IT at Disney. Dining reservations don't work, Fast Passes was crashing left and right, and information is all over the place on the website. With a company so big you would think that they would have a better run website and app.... but sigh. Otherwise can't wait!

GJM724

Original Poster
Ok... so I am having a little anxiety about my first day: Our flight lands at 9:33.

Is it reasonable that I am going to a make a 11:50am Fast Pass for Toy Story Mania? I also have 12:20 reservations for Mama Melrose Fantasmic Show. There are no other lunch times, but I can move Toy Story to a 3:40 fast pass.

Spash007

Ok... so I am having a little anxiety about my first day: Our flight lands at 9:33.

Is it reasonable that I am going to a make a 11:50am Fast Pass for Toy Story Mania? I also have 12:20 reservations for Mama Melrose Fantasmic Show. There are no other lunch times, but I can move Toy Story to a 3:40 fast pass.

It may be possible, but would probably be pushing it. It seems like for us it takes about 2.5 - 3 hours from when we land to when we get to a park. But that includes stopping at the hotel and changing/switching over bags and dropping them off at the desk. Personally I'd switch to the later FP so you're not rushing and worrying about all of the possible delays that morning (flight, DME, bus etc). This way you can take some time and enjoy that first entry to the park, rather than running back to TSL, and then potentially having to run to lunch. There's enough detail in DHS to enjoy a leisurely stroll to Mama Melroses.

GJM724

Original Poster
It may be possible, but would probably be pushing it. It seems like for us it takes about 2.5 - 3 hours from when we land to when we get to a park. But that includes stopping at the hotel and changing/switching over bags and dropping them off at the desk. Personally I'd switch to the later FP so you're not rushing and worrying about all of the possible delays that morning (flight, DME, bus etc). This way you can take some time and enjoy that first entry to the park, rather than running back to TSL, and then potentially having to run to lunch. There's enough detail in DHS to enjoy a leisurely stroll to Mama Melroses.

Thanks! That was my thought. Just changed it to 3:40. Hope this doesn't prove problematic in getting fast passes later in the day for things. We will just roll with it for now.

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
The only thing disappointing about the whole planning process is the IT at Disney. Dining reservations don't work, Fast Passes was crashing left and right, and information is all over the place on the website. With a company so big you would think that they would have a better run website and app.... but sigh. Otherwise can't wait!
YES YES YES!!!!
They make you plan so far ahead but the proper tools are not always available. And their website is a jumbled mess!!!

GJM724

Original Poster
Putting the final touches on our trip and starting the pre packing phase. Anyone know of a good Disney hat for guys? I feel like the park ones are cheap and don’t fit well.

TangledTina

Good point. I never noticed the event time. I've always gone by the times at each resort. We last watched it from the beach of the Poly in 2017.
We saw it from the beach at the Contemporary last summer, and the time stamp on the photos I took was 10:20. I believe the time varies based on which hotel you are at, since the parade moves around the lake. 9:00 seems a bit early though! I would ask a CM what time it typically reaches the Poly to be in the safe side.

GJM724

Original Poster
We saw it from the beach at the Contemporary last summer, and the time stamp on the photos I took was 10:20. I believe the time varies based on which hotel you are at, since the parade moves around the lake. 9:00 seems a bit early though! I would ask a CM what time it typically reaches the Poly to be in the safe side.

One of my questions when we get there. Hopefully we can see it before dinner at 9:45 at Ohana

MinnieM123

Premium Member

This is nothing new. It's been an ongoing problem for years, for quite a few guests. Many have expressed the same as your thoughts above.

That aside, you'll have a fun trip. Enjoy! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom