WDW in December...Ideas/Thoughts

readytogo

Original Poster
We are headed to DW again in early December with the kids, ages 3 and 6. We went last May, and the kids just had a blast, with the exception of the heat (we're wimps). So we're hoping December will solve that problem, and we're going during a slower period, which will hopefully help as well! But we've never been this time of year...so I don't know much about it, other than what I'm reading here and there...

MVMCP...yes or no? Is it worth the money, how are the crowds? What events during this time have the most/least crowds? I get "witchy" in crowds, so I'm trying to avoid that as much as possible, for the sake of keeping it fun and happy for all! :lookaroun

I have all of my ADRs made, Norway Princess Bfast, LeCellier, etc...we're doing the BBB in the castle (daughter is psyched for that!)...I just don't much about this Holiday part.

Thanks!!!

princess17

Early December is a pretty good time to go. It's much better than the summer or hot months. Weather is great, crowds are ok although I hear its getting busier more and more this time of year since the secret is out.

In Dec. 2006, the longest line was 25 min. at the Great movie Ride at MGM (still not used to calling it Hollywood studios)

I love this time of year because you get the holiday shows and decoarations without the big christmas week crowds.

Some of the more crowded stuff is probably the christms stuff like the Candelight processional, the osborne lights, and the obvious thrill rides which seem to always have a crowd as do the fireworks and parades.

To avoid the biggest crowds, avoid MK on the weekends and any parks on extra magic hour days as these tend to be the busiest.

Mvmcp is great. The fireworks and parade are amazing. The snow falling on mainstreet is magical and the show in tomorrowland was awesome. Don't miss it. Just go on a weekday and you should be okay with crowds.

djpoore94

DH and I were in WDW last December 1-8, though we stayed off site and went to a convention one day. The crowds were pretty light, but we didn't do MVMCP. The Osborne Family Lights are amazing as is the Candlelight Processional. We didn't really have too much of a wait for anything. I think we did DHS on Sunday, AK on Monday, MK Tuesday/Thursday and Epcot Wednesday/Thursday. The best part was we had my father in law & his GF with us (they only did one day at Epcot), he had not been since Epcot first opened and she had never been so we went for a ride on the Monorail and got to sit up front with the conductor, it was so cool!

We are headed back in Dec this year too. We took our kids last year and they had a blast. The longest lines seem to be Dumbo, Soarin', and Peter Pan but they were at 30 minutes or so, which still isn't that bad. As for MVMCP, we decided against it, the kids just would be too grouchy that late, but I can say that the crowds were HUGE and it sold out a least one of the nights we were at the MK. I went to MVMCP about 7 years ago when it was just me and my husband and the crowds didn't seem as big as they did last year. Pretty much any holiday celebration there draws a big crowd. I have been in Dec twice and LOVED the weather, not hot but I guess we have lucked out and it hasn't been cold either, somewhere high 70's low 80's for temperature. I have been to Disney in Oct and July and I think Dec is the best time to go! Have fun!

mickeysaver

No kids, but we went in early December of 2003 and 2005. It was totally worth the money to go to MVMCP each year....twice! We love the holiday season at WDW.

In early December, the crowds are lower in general, which is why Disney offers Value Season pricing on the rooms, so that they are getting "butts in the seats", so to speak. It sounds like you have some great things planned for your family already. :xmas:

Depending on when you are going, you might run into a group of internet Disney junkies that participate in MouseFest. http://www.mousefest.org/default.asp Or, you might find that if you are booked at ASMu, ASSp, or POR that you have a good deal of kids around that are participating in Pop Warner. http://www.popwarner.com/superbowl/pop.asp Don't worry, neither event usually causes such crowd gatherings that they will affect your trip.

AllEarsNet has a lot of great info on this time of year. Also, Steve Soares' website has great historical info on the Santas & Storytellers around the WS over at Epcot. http://pages.prodigy.net/stevesoares/christmas.htm Ooooh, and don't miss the Osborne Lights at DHS. Grab some cocoa and a fresh gingerbread cookie and enjoy the spectacle of dancing lights.

Have fun planning! We will be there from the 10th through the 19th.

Pete C

To avoid the biggest crowds, avoid MK on the weekends and any parks on extra magic hour days as these tend to be the busiest.

I have heard this too, however I will add that to take advantage of extra magic hours and avoid extra park crowds, go with the park hopper tickets. Go to a non-EMH park during the day, then park hop to hit the EMH park at night. EMH at night is the BEST. No crowds, quiet so you can easily hear all the park music, and it is great to walk around at night with everything lit up. I have never done EMH in the morning because I am lazy.

PrincessBitty

We went the week after thanksgiving thru the first week of December last year and it was fabulous. The lines were great and not very long at all. The weather was a little unexpected - we packed jeans and long sleeved shirts to wear at night and we never needed them. MVMCP was totally worth the money (it was so hot we had out Christmas photo taken for our holiday cards in shorts & tank tops). There were lots of great festive activities and it will definitely be a little harder to get in the holiday spirit this year since we won't be at WDW. The storytellers at Epcot were fantastic - the stories were both informative & cute. Candlelight Processional was stunning - both my DH & I got a little weepy b/c it tugs at the heartstrings. Don't miss the Osbourne Lights either - it has such a magical sense of awe.:xmas:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom