WDW & High Speed Rail

fillerup

Original Poster
Discuss if you like. Not newsy but bears on the mouse.

Orlando Sentinel 5/3/10

Is Disney fully on board with plans for high-speed rail?

By Dan Tracy, Orlando Sentinel

Every day, Walt Disney World draws an estimated 46,500 people to the Magic Kingdom, or nearly eight times the number of passengers expected daily on the planned high-speed train for Central Florida.

“That’s a hell of a lot of potential [riders],” mused Doc Dockery, the retired Lakeland insurance magnate and high-speed-rail pioneer in Florida.
Right now, the state has no agreement with Disney other than an understanding that it would be allowed to build a train station somewhere on the property that holds the Magic Kingdom and three other major theme parks.

The $2.6 billion train is supposed to link Orlando International Airport with Lakeland and Tampa by 2015, with side stops at Disney and the Orange County Convention Center.

Dockery is optimistic that Disney will support the train, though he concedes that he has no idea what kind of backing might eventually develop. Many of those involved in the largely federally funded project offer the same observation.

“It’s anybody’s guess, really,” said Dave Grovdahl, chief transportation planner for MetroPlan, which sets transportation policy in Orange, Seminole and Osceola counties.

Disney spokeswoman Zoyara Suarez said her employer’s offer of up to 50 acres of free land for the station shows a major commitment.

“That’s pretty exciting,” she said. “It’s worth $25 million.”

But, she said, no contracts have been signed. In fact, Disney officials have met only once with Florida Department of Transportation representatives and that session was brief.

Nazih Haddad, who manages FDOT’s high-speed efforts, characterized negotiations with Disney as a”give and take,” but not especially deep. Details about marketing the train to visitors or exact station locations have not been discussed, he said.

“They’re working with us,” he said. “That’s No. 1. We’re working with them and will continue to work with them.”

That lack of specificity has some interested parties, such as Orange County Mayor Rich Crotty, uncertain about Disney’s intentions. He said he is worried the land Disney gives up might be so remote that it could discourage people from taking the train.

“Every stop needs to be an important stop,” Crotty said.
A preliminary state map shows the station near Celebration in Osceola County, by the Osceola Parkway and mostly south of Disney’s parks and hotels.

Some question the attraction’s resolve because of the Magical Express, a bus system that picks up tourists at OIA and deposits them directly at their Disney hotels. Their luggage, which is tagged in their hometown, typically follows within an hour or two.

The Magical Express carries 2.2 million people a year and, in practical terms, helps keep visitors on Disney property because they do not rent a car, forcing them to rely largely on mass transit provided by the attraction. Suarez has said Disney considers the high-speed train as a “complement” to the bus.

That leads theme-park consultant Steve Baker to theorize that Disney might be less than enthusiastic in pushing the train.
“It [the bus system] is a definite edge. They’ve really worked on it to get it right,” Baker said. “I don’t think they want to be in the position of hurting it.”

Added Jerry Aldrich, president of Amusement Industry Consulting Inc., “The bus seems more expedient, as Disney has more control of it. That’s a big deal for them.”

But, Aldrich said, Disney undoubtedly does not want to be seen as being a deterrent to the train’s success, especially since the system does offer the chance of delivering even more tourists to the massive attraction.
Aldrich contends visitors in Tampa — as well as residents of the region – might take the train for a day or two stay at Disney: “It will make that trip easier for a lot of people.”

But Dockery thinks the biggest payoff for Disney could be long term. Plans call for the train to be extended east from OIA, possibly close to a port, then down Interstate 95 to Miami. That would link Disney with its cruise lines, plus open up the South Florida market.

“If it [the OIA-Tampa leg] is successful, and I believe it will be,” Dockery said, “the Miami route, depending on how you build it, will be the most profitable route in the country.”

Grovdahl maintains the future may come sooner than Disney imagines because Central Florida roads will become more congested as time passes, leaving the Magical Express stuck in traffic on Interstate 4 as the train speeds by in the median.

As consultant Baker said, “You don’t do this [the train] for next week. You do it for 20 years from now.”

Suarez said she would not get into speculation.

“Right now, we don’t have anything more to share,” she said. “It’s just a little early to go into the details.”
Dan Tracy can be reached at dtracy@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5444.

Cmdr_Crimson

Two things I wonder is how this would effect Magical Express service and Where they would be placing the station on the Disney Property?

DisneyJoe

Which would you rather do:

- take Magical Express for free directly to your resort? (with a few other resort stops possible) and luggage shows up a little later

OR

- pay to take the high speed rail, tote your own luggage (or pay to stow it on the train), to an intermediate station on Disney property, and then need to get yourself and your luggage to your Disney resort?

I'd still chose DME.

oochr1soo

disney should work a deal where they give up the land, but have a dedicated car form teh airport.. magical express on the rail.. then from their train station the busses take you to your resort..

TomHendricks

disney should work a deal where they give up the land, but have a dedicated car form teh airport.. magical express on the rail.. then from their train station the busses take you to your resort..

I agree, with your baggage going to your resort just as with the Magical Express.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

If I was in charge I would give them a 25 year lease on the land. I would not be giving it away.

lazyboy97o

We already have car/bus accidents. Just wait until we have car/bus/train accidents.
High speed rail is fully grade separated.

Which would you rather do:

- take Magical Express for free directly to your resort? (with a few other resort stops possible) and luggage shows up a little later

OR

- pay to take the high speed rail, tote your own luggage (or pay to stow it on the train), to an intermediate station on Disney property, and then need to get yourself and your luggage to your Disney resort?

I'd still chose DME.
Disney could still do as it does and pick up the baggage at the airport. The bigger problem is that the high speed rail line will not connect to any other mass transit. The travel time between Tampa and Orlando could end up being longer and more expensive via rail than by car. People seems to love the idea of how the train could stop at all of these places, but the more stops on the line the slower the train travels and the less of a need for it to be high speed.

WDW Monorail

Disney could still do as it does and pick up the baggage at the airport. The bigger problem is that the high speed rail line will not connect to any other mass transit. The travel time between Tampa and Orlando could end up being longer and more expensive via rail than by car. People seems to love the idea of how the train could stop at all of these places, but the more stops on the line the slower the train travels and the less of a need for it to be high speed.

That's what many people do not realize. The train takes you from nowhere to nowhere and with no personal vehicle, you need to rely on other modes of transport to bring you to your final destination.

And what will the ridership be like.

This is just another hole in which [taxpayer] money will be sucked with little benefit. Just another unprofitable railroad, as if we don't have enough of those already.

citizen85

There is a section or maybe a chapter regarding Disney's previous attempt to build a high speed rail line between the Airport and Disney property in the book Married to the Mouse by Richard Foglesong. It has been years since I have read it but if I remember correctly, the whole thing stalled because of disagreements regarding the number and location of stops.

I would also add, and believe me I hate to be contentious in my first post here (I've been lurking for a few weeks), is that there are a number of problems with implementing rail transportation in this country but one obstacle is that for some reason, people feel as though rail projects should "pay for themselves" in a conventional user fee manner. This is a standard that we do not usually apply to other modes of transit. While there are some toll roads and bridges most modes of transit are highly subsidized because they broadly enable commerce and promote altruistic values. If we applied the standards to roads that we apply to rail, rural american's wouldn't know what asphalt looks like.

Anyways yea, check out Married to the Mouse very good read especially for local government wonks like me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom