WDW decides to lose money

pumba100

Original Poster
I hope Walt Disney World is satisfied with the money they are losing from the frequent visitors that are cancelling trips or are otherwise foregoing visits to WDW. Count us in that bunch.

We're annual passholders and have travelled to WDW more than 30 times, twice just this year. We have been planning an October trip for some time but have been waiting for the AP rates to become available. We couldn't use their ridiculous new web booking tool because, when it was implemented, we were under the 120 day mandatory minimum advance booking requirement. So, like a lot of people, we've been waiting for the AP rates to become available through their regular booking phone line.

I talked to them this morning and...gee, big surprise...they still have no AP rates for October, but the big kicker was that the standard rooms in our preferred resort are now fully booked and not even available at any rate.

As often as we go to WDW we sure can't afford full retail rates for their resorts. So, we have no choice but to cut down on the visits. It is clear that the philosophy they're taking is that they don't need to offer frequent visitors any discounts because they can find enough guests who will pay full price to fill up their resorts. They apparently think they don't need to appeal to frequent visitors any more.

I hope they are pleased with all this new money that they THINK they are making. They have lost 2 more frequent visitors and our piddling little contribution to their corporate coffers. But, I guess that means little to Disney. I mean, who cares about 2 measly guests. Others will come and spend more money that we will.

Snapper Bean

wdwishes2005 said:
that sucks, but how come you cant stay at a lower priced hotel and get the DDP?

Because the poster wants to stay where he/she wants to stay, when he/she wants to go and she wants a discount and if he/she doesn't get it, it's because Disney is big and mean.

wannabeBelle

The discounts for Oct have not been released YET!!! Let us not lose hope. They were released right around this time last year. And as far as not being able to stay at the resort that you wanted to, that was ALWAYS true with the AP discount. I always give Pam of Kingdom Konsultants ( My travel agent) a choice of hotels, dates or both!!) this gives me the maximum chance of getting a room I want at a rate I am willing to pay!! Belle

wannab@dis

Seems like we're back to that old "entitlement" argument. I mean, come on, surely you must know that the OP is ENTITLED to discounts or they just won't go. :rolleyes:

SteveUK

But these people are annual pass holders. You would think that Disney would quickly build a new gold plated room on the side of a hotel especially for these people with a red carpet all the way to their house. How dare Disney have the cheek to allow 'ordinary' people to book all the rooms?

hcswingfield

SteveUK said:
But these people are annual pass holders. You would think that Disney would quickly build a new gold plated room on the side of a hotel especially for these people with a red carpet all the way to their house. How dare Disney have the cheek to allow 'ordinary' people to book all the rooms?

Hmmmm... Maybe Disney decided they wanted to MAKE MONEY! :lookaroun

speck76

pumba100 said:
It is clear that the philosophy they're taking is that they don't need to offer frequent visitors any discounts because they can find enough guests who will pay full price to fill up their resorts. They apparently think they don't need to appeal to frequent visitors any more.

Exactly....it is nice to see that someone actually understands this philosophy.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Decides to lose money? No. They are taking whoever books their rooms first. And, those people are not staying on discounts, so therefore, they are making more money.

Yellow Shoes

pumba100 said:
They apparently think they don't need to appeal to frequent visitors any more.

I would guess that your assessment of the situation is correct.

With fall bookings going strong, there is no reason for discounts.

I would suspect that there are quite a few people who postponed a 2004 trip because of the excessive hurricane activity. Those folks have pent-up demand that they need to satisfy--at any price.

As much as it hurts us to ponder this, WDW is a business. They exist to make money--not for our happiness (although that is a benefit)

If WDW can fill a room at $350 without trying, why should they go out of their way to sell it for $175?

Any business person will charge what the market will bear--that's Business 101.

Shaman

I've encountered the same problem many times...

What do I do? Why I stay off site of course...no need handing my money to Disney if they can't help me out with a discount. What else do I do? Well go to the parks of course...to make sure they see:

1. We called but ended up not making reservations.
2. Went to the parks anyways

If they don't want my business it's fine by me...I will not pay fill price. So I don't stay on site.

(that would mean I get no EMH...:lookaroun )

:D

pumba100

Original Poster
wannab@dis said:
Seems like we're back to that old "entitlement" argument. I mean, come on, surely you must know that the OP is ENTITLED to discounts or they just won't go. :rolleyes:

I don't feel like I'm 'entitled' to anything and that's not what I said.

Let me build on a catch phrase from Yellow Shoes. 'Business 101' also states that there is significant value to be placed on return business. The question is, do you make more money from the person who returns 30 times at a discount or from the guy who visits once or twice at full retail?

The answer seems pretty clear, and the concept of entitlements never even occurred to me.

I believe you missed the point entirely.

wannab@dis

pumba100 said:

Let's look at part of your message...

pumba100 said:
It is clear that the philosophy they're taking is that they don't need to offer frequent visitors any discounts because they can find enough guests who will pay full price to fill up their resorts.

You're entire post was predicated on the fact that they were not offering you a discount because the rooms were already filled at rack rates. So therefore, it's fairly easy to interpret your post as you are upset that you didn't get the rate that you FEEL you are entitled to so you just won't go.

pumba100 said:

If so, then lots of others have missed it as well.

Just to respond to another of your points (unless I missed the point again)... Returning visitors on a whole probably do not spend as much as those one time/first time visitors. Many of them are on the vacation of a lifetime and will buy more souveniors and eat at more restaurants because they may not be back. I bet that you have the same habit as me... I'm there often enough that I DON'T buy all the souveniors and I DON'T eat at all the different places.

As long as they have people willing to fork over the full price, they will not make discounts available. That's Business 101. Supply & Demand in the most simplest form.

Snapper Bean

pumba100 said:

Let me build on a catch phrase from Yellow Shoes. 'Business 101' also states that there is significant value to be placed on return business. The question is, do you make more money from the person who returns 30 times at a discount or from the guy who visits once or twice at full retail?

The answer seems pretty clear, and the concept of entitlements never even occurred to me.

Business 101 to me would be something along the lines of "if you have someone willing to pay $10 for something, you don't sell it to someone else for $6." Maybe its just me but I have this sneaky suspicion that Disney understands the tourist business better than, say, you. Sure you may go Thirty Times!!! but I think Disney must realize (1) that they have 30 people who will go once and pay full price; (2) that your relative indignation really isn't going to cause you to stop coming.

disneylands

Account Suspended
they arent losing enough money to even count as a fraction of what they make in a year. They make BILLIONS each year. do you think they'll care if they lose a couple of hundred thousand? Of course not.

wannabeBelle

pumba100 said:

Well put Pumba!!! I have had this discussion a few times with some other members here on the Boards. I also dont believe that the discounts are " entitlements" Incentives for repeat business might be a better way to phrase it. As I said before I appreciate the discounts and I Am sure Disney appreciates me spending my vacation dollars there. As long as they keep coming out with the discounts I will continue to visit multiple times a year. So far this has been a good deal for both sides and I dont see it ending any time soon. If anything I think that the Passholder Best Rate program shows how important this discount concept and valued customer idea is to Disney! This online booking engine was not built for free. I am sure man hours and other resources went into the build for that. Certainly that wouldnt be happening if this segment of their consumers was unimportant to them. So far I havent seen anything negative against the AP holder. I look foward to many happy trips using my AP discount to come!!! Belle

disneylands

Account Suspended
SteveUK said:

no way, in fact annual passholders come and go all the time. Disney could care less if they lost a few. the quarterly statements for the company said that it is a fact that annual passholders spend less money than ordinary guests therefore they want to pamper the ordinary guests better than the annuals.

thats just my idea...

also i agree with 2, 5, and 7 I think pumba is over reacting, there may not be any rooms left in the hotel that HE wants. there are (i believe) more than 30,000 hotel rooms on the Disney resort. not counting the ones on hotel bv. I think it wont hurt to go to another hotel.

not trying to be a jerk or anything guys!:eek: :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom